Elden Ring - Colosseum PVP Update Out Now

Broker

2 minutes ago, Nate Dogg III said:

Hide contents

If it helps he’s supposed to be a pretty late-game boss. I abandoned him and went NW instead where things are definitely more my speed 

2 minutes ago, Nate Dogg III said:

Hide contents

If it helps he’s supposed to be a pretty late-game boss. I abandoned him and went NW instead where things are definitely more my speed 

Spoiler

Really? He's my third "main" boss 

I ended up in the Manor after doing the academy and have been following that quest line.

Do you mean NW of Caelid (which I can get to via the Deep Wells) or NW of Lakes (which to be fair is where the "main path" seems to want me to go?

1 hour ago, Goemon said:

He is brutal! I think he’s deliberately tough to get people out exploring.

I just played jolly coop on him for an hour and a half and only managed to beat him once. :s

Yeah, I actually think the start to this is ingenious, directing through suggestion. The game directs you to Magrit, making sure you pick up the horse along the way and getting the map if you work for it, but if you're a normal player you'll die fighting him. The game never then says explore instead and come back when you're ready, players need to realise that's it for the hand holding. If the game led you through easy dungeons always at your level then some players would never explore. If it was completely open the start would feel aimless. If you only got told to go there when levelled up a bit then players would be relying on that sort of game information throughout. It's a real statement of intent.

25 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Great rune question:

Reveal hidden contents

I've taken Godrick's rune to the top of the divine tower in Limgrave and interacted with the thing there, and I've now equipped his rune in the Great Rune menu that's opened up when I rest at a PoG. Is that all I need to do? The tutorial says equipping it will raise my attributes, but it's not very clear. It also says that consuming a Rune Arc will increase the Great Rune's effects. How long does that last for? Until I next die?

It's all a bit confusing. Sounds like this game's version of Humanity.

You are right, it is this version of humanity, lasts till you die

14 minutes ago, MikeF said:

You are right, it is this version of humanity, lasts till you die

Cheers. Does it give you any benefits even if you don't consume a Rune Arc? I need to check the description again but I think it said Rune Arcs 'enchance' the Great Rune's effects, which suggests it provides benefits by itself already, just by being equipped.

26 minutes ago, Hexx said:

Hide contents

Really? He's my third "main" boss 

I ended up in the Manor after doing the academy and have been following that quest line.

Do you mean NW of Caelid (which I can get to via the Deep Wells) or NW of Lakes (which to be fair is where the "main path" seems to want me to go?

Spoiler

NW of Caelid, quite a long way. It's more like north/northeast from Academy IIRC. Volcano Manor, specifically. You could also go straight towards the capital.

Radahn was my third boss too which I guess is why I was stuck on him for days. It's totally doable at lower levels but there's too much RNG in the fight for me to want to bash my head against it. Certainly he's got a higher recommended level in most of the guides I've seen than some of the other options you have available to you now.

7 minutes ago, therearerules said:

Yeah, I actually think the start to this is ingenious, directing through suggestion. The game directs you to Magrit, making sure you pick up the horse along the way and getting the map if you work for it, but if you're a normal player you'll die fighting him. The game never then says explore instead and come back when you're ready, players need to realise that's it for the hand holding. If the game led you through easy dungeons always at your level then some players would never explore. If it was completely open the start would feel aimless. If you only got told to go there when levelled up a bit then players would be relying on that sort of game information throughout. It's a real statement of intent.

I agree, it’s subtle yet masterful design although, that said, I didn’t get to Margit until I was twenty hours in as I was distracted exploring.

Speaking of subtle design. I’ve just gone back to grab a dragon heart from the big lad in the lake and, having noped out of there a few days ago when trying to take him for the first time, this time I came back on horseback and that is clearly the way he should be engaged.

Obviously there will be videos of SL1 players killing him barehanded and without taking a hit, but looking at the huge open area he is sited in and his speed covering the arena. FROM definitely use that dragon as a way to teach horse combat skills. Same for the big golden horseback knight near the start and who slammed me on my first foray against him when on foot but who is reasonably easy when approached on horseback - just keep moving and jump when he is winding up an attack. 

In progress news I have just been back to Margit and put him down. I feel I may be overlevelled after a very thorough exploration of Limgrave and the Peninsula (I’m at 35 ish) but the real secret was the poison ash on a +5 broadsword. It doesn’t take too much to jump in and get enough hits to induce the poison effect and then it’s a case of keeping some distance whilst taking the odd swipe whenever possible. He seems to have relatively long cool-down periods after some of his attacks which allow a few chances to get the poison back into him.

I then entered Stormveil and it appears that the real Dark Sou Elden Ring starts here! Worst hit so far was discovering a very cruel trick on dropped runes…

Can’t  wait to get back as the brief foray just felt like some real deal Souls terror.

3 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Cheers. Does it give you any benefits even if you don't consume a Rune Arc? I need to check the description again but I think it said Rune Arcs 'enchance' the Great Rune's effects, which suggests it provides benefits by itself already, just by being equipped.

Nope, sadly not, the description is confusing.  Need to use a rune arc to see the benefits (+5 to stats)

48 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Also, post-Godrick spoiler:

Reveal hidden contents

I can't believe there's a back way into the castle! Can you actually go this way and just confront Godrick in the courtyard he's in without having to go all the way through the castle at all? I laughed aloud when I discovered where that path down the mountain side brought me out.

Answer:

Spoiler

You can't go in the back way, the door from the throne chamber to the boss room is locked. I discovered the back way round after attempting Margit the first time, and figured from the position on the map that it must be the back way into the castle. 

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Any tips for Crucible Knight? He's wrecking me.

Most of his sword attacks can be parried. That's how I did it. It's hard as fuck mind, because the timing is precise and you can't afford to make many mistakes because he hits so hard. For me it was a case of trying over and over again, gradually learning when I could parry and when I had to roll, and when it was safe to heal or get an R1 attack in.

Backing away from him and trying to heal will get you killed, he punishes that shit relentlessly. I found the safest time to heal is after the five-hit combo that starts with the big stamp. If you roll into the second of the spin-slashes (i.e. hit 5 of the combo) and heal, you'll have enough time to be ready for the next attack.

Phase 2

Spoiler

actually gives you more opportunities to heal, because you can heal after rolling through the swoop attack, which he does often. But when you're at close range watch out for the tail swipes, they change the timing of the combos. You have to be prepared to dodge faster that you had to in the first phase. You can still parry the same sword swipes that you could in the first phase. Just try to keep your cool, parry when you can, roll when you have to and heal when necessary.

Crucible Knight is easily my favourite fight I've done so far. Love it.

Post-Godrick, is it worth

Spoiler

cashing his 'soul' in for the armaments? I didn't dare click and wasn't sure how it would work. There's a greataxe and something that looks like magic costing 2000 runes. Do you get both or have to choose?

2 minutes ago, Number 28 said:

Hide contents

cashing his 'soul' in for the armaments? I didn't dare click and wasn't sure how it would work. There's a greataxe and something that looks like magic costing 2000 runes. Do you get both or have to choose?

Spoiler

With all boss souls things you can duplicate them - if you find one of the big rock walking temple things and attack their feet until they sit down, you can go inside and duplicate the souls. That way you can get both the axe and the dragon thing. Neither are great, though. You can only do it once per boss soul, and it’s a specific temple for each soul, so you have to find the right one  

3 minutes ago, Number 28 said:

Hide contents

Assuming this is the same as Dark Souls, you can only get one of them.

Edit: ahh, forgot the mausoleums. Listen to @Doctor Shark, not me.

Only about thirteen hours in due to other stuff going on but how have they managed to create something that is beginning to look like four Souls games woven together into an open world? It truly is intimidating in size and scale but they have nailed exploration and what makes it worthwhile for a player - if a player goes to the effort of looking, give them something that meaningfully rewards that effort, which in turn feeds back into the game and makes every inch of what you've built impossible to pass by for fear of missing out.

I said back in this thread that I was hoping this would be what I thought BOTW would be. Elden Ring is exactly that.

2 minutes ago, Number 28 said:

I got inside the mausoleum down south and wasn't sure what it was about...so that's what it's for. But I may as well just leave it for now if they're both not worth it. Thanks for the info. :)

If you don’t want the items, you can cash the soul in for loads of runes. I got both items regardless just in case they are alright, but on stats alone they didn’t seem worth the effort. 

Early days, but I'm starting to think that any weapon in the game can be a powerhouse when fully upgraded and with the right ash of war and character stats.

So your choice of weapon basically comes down to what movesets you like. And aesthetics I guess, if you're into Fashion Ring.

My only concern - and it is the only thing, as it's otherwise everything I was hoping for - is that I am going to miss out on quests for the various NPC's. I've played Dark Souls as much as most people on here but have still yet to see a quest through to completion. That said I have mainly played by exploring fairly aimlessly at the moment and have barely scratched the surface of even the initial quest line.

Godrick down!

Maybe it's because I hadn't been beating my head against it, but that wasn't nearly as maddening as my MW/CK encounters. I think maybe even Magrit was more stressful!

Godrick's attacks were scary but they were very telegraphed, and a lot of it was about identifying the late attacks and not rolling too soon.

Yay!

20 minutes ago, friedgold said:

My only concern - and it is the only thing, as it's otherwise everything I was hoping for - is that I am going to miss out on quests for the various NPC's. I've played Dark Souls as much as most people on here but have still yet to see a quest through to completion. That said I have mainly played by exploring fairly aimlessly at the moment and have barely scratched the surface of even the initial quest line.

IIRC, after a very thorough exploration of Limgrave and the area immediately south,I have completed two NPC quests and one of those ended up with someone dead so I suspect I went wrong somewhere.

There’s always NG+!

1 hour ago, Steven said:

Only about thirteen hours in due to other stuff going on but how have they managed to create something that is beginning to look like four Souls games woven together into an open world? It truly is intimidating in size and scale but they have nailed exploration and what makes it worthwhile for a player - if a player goes to the effort of looking, give them something that meaningfully rewards that effort, which in turn feeds back into the game and makes every inch of what you've built impossible to pass by for fear of missing out.

I said back in this thread that I was hoping this would be what I thought BOTW would be. Elden Ring is exactly that.

This is way more and bigger than four Souls games woven together. It’s absolutely insane. I’ve said that numerous times now in this thread, but every time I play the world just expands more and more and more and I just can’t comprehend how big it actually is. It’s outrageously big. That big it’s starting to feel infinite. Lol.Over 50hrs and I’ve only just re-discovered the Bridge of Sacrifice which leads to the Southern Peninsula. I’m not sure how long they’ve been working on this but it feels like a whole lifetimes work. And I still haven’t bothered to do the “first boss”. 

2 hours ago, Goemon said:

Do you really need to start a new character? I was just messing around with different setups during jolly coop and stuck the bleed ashes of war on my rapier and it was working an absolute treat. Was getting multiple bleeds in the Margit fight.

Yes because it's been fun beelining for the right equipment and already having the same dex and more arcane!! :D

image.png.d54c0bb7379544799d803be1441a9939.png

image.png.0d47534a94291a31dc05de44f6a2e07b.png

Dual wield daggers is AMAZING ❤️

9 minutes ago, Fitzcarraldo said:

Took me over an hour to kill her. :lol:

I’ve died more to her than Margit and Godrick combined. What an utter bullshit of a boss. 

Oh, you’ve got near me? I’ll teleport half the room away. 

Oh, running towards me? Fuck you, I’ll launch a magical nuclear arrow and one shot you. 

Getting too close? Laser disco ball. 

Oh, you hit me? Teleport away again. 

Judging by the amount of bloodstains and messages nearby, I’m not the only one! 

cunt. 

6 hours ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Looking at where to find these stones I've definitely picked a few up but they've gone from my inventory. Annoyed.

I thought this happened too ... Then I decided I was getting tricked by the fact there are smithing stones 1 and smithing stones 2 - I think I'm getting the version number confused with the quantity number. Items disappearing from inventory is not something that From does. 

• Broker changed the title to Elden Ring - Colosseum PVP Update Out Now