Elden Ring - Colosseum PVP Update Out Now

Broker

I may have put 35 hours into this since Monday somehow while looking after a newborn. It’s a bit amazing, totally overwhelming but also very familiar and certainly easier and more compelling than Sekiro which I didn’t get on with despite finishing every other From game multiple times.

My only gripe is that I’m playing Samurai and in the course of 35 hours I haven’t really made any changes to my gear or build other than levelling up the Uchigatana and making it keen. I was kind of hoping to start mixing interesting abilities into my play style but haven’t really found a way to do so yet. So I’ve kind of created the Sekiro problem for myself! 

40 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

Ha yeah 80 hours or so, did it all on my own as played offline, only used the NPC summons. 

I love the trick weaponry and the arsenal in Bloodborne is awesome. In 13 hours of Elden Ring I had a sword and two different types of Halberd, one did have a cool BB style saw on the end but the moveset was pretty much the same. I picked up a crossbow, a mace, a hammer and an axe that all had a red x on them so I couldn't use them. Never even got to use a ranged weapon once. I felt like I was going through the motions.

Will give it a try in a few months, will likely get the PS4 version for better performance. I mean NO dual sense features either, wtf

Well, the delivery of weapons, upgrades, etc is much slower than previous games but that's because it is a much, much larger game world than any of them.

I can't say that I was especially bothered spending the first three hours with just my base starter club and a bit later some purchased chainmail even though I've since discovered a fair few weapons in locations pretty close to the start point (that I missed first time looking). Similarly it took me a long time before I was able to level up at all (mostly as I had missed the option to do so!) but I was still having an awesome time exploring and seeing amazing sights and an endless variety of enemies (all of whom could pretty easily smack me down). It's a change of pace from the Souls, Bloodborne and Sekiro but once you soak into it and realise you ain't going to be smacking the hell out of many things too quickly, it is quite something.

I've still not used a ranged weapon and I'm over thirty hours in.

Godrick done. Hard/10

That must be the hardest early game boss in a FROM game. People are seriously going to struggle there even with over-levelling and grinding. Margit is but a brisk warmup compared to Godrick.

Still shaking from that. Onwards.

Finished off the Academy boss...

Spoiler

Except I didn't. Then I was one-shotted. FML.

Also, when is a shortcut not a shortcut? When it's the Academy boss shortcut. Easier to take the Bob-Omb Battlefield route.

The longest boss run I've experienced so far...

22 minutes ago, robdood said:

Oh god I'm itching to make a new character and go for bleed tonight.. :D  See if we can take down Margit in style. 

Do you really need to start a new character? I was just messing around with different setups during jolly coop and stuck the bleed ashes of war on my rapier and it was working an absolute treat. Was getting multiple bleeds in the Margit fight.

40 minutes ago, Thor said:

Any tips for Crucible Knight? He's wrecking me.

You can parry him. My strat was:

Spoiler

Phase 1: Roll through swings and punish with 1 claymore slash. When he does shield bash, dodge left and 70% of the time he follows up with a sword swing that's super easy to parry (rest of the time it's the stomp).

Phase 2: My claymore was too slow to roll punish on this phase and he tail whips you anyway. I just baited out the shield bash then parried the follow up slash. While he was getting back up I used the claymore's standard weapon art which gives good hyper armour. He would hit me but worth the trade.

Watch out for the double tail swipe. Does a lot of damage but the roll timing is easy to get down.

He has 2 more attacks (running slash and slash from his left shoulder) that are easy enough to parry but I found that one to be the most reliable.

2 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

Can I ask how you made it keen? 

There is an item in:

Spoiler

Stormveil Castle, behind a Stonesword Key door. It's a new whetstone knife that lets you add heavy/keen etc. to any weapon.

16 minutes ago, Number 28 said:

Finished off the Academy boss...

Hide contents

Except I didn't. Then I was one-shotted. FML.

Also, when is a shortcut not a shortcut? When it's the Academy boss shortcut. Easier to take the Bob-Omb Battlefield route.

The longest boss run I've experienced so far...

Spoiler

KAMEHAMEHAAAAAAA

I feel like if you’ve played the other games and you go into this with the same mindset and the same way of playing, there’s a good chance you can make things harder than they need to be, especially early doors. For example, the whole way you collect Runes. Whether you choose to fight for them or explore for them, once you’ve actually got them you can simply just pop the map open, warp to any save point and spend them. 

Even now, I’m finding a lot of the time I’m bagging loads but pushing forwards into high level stuff for no reason at all when I’m in the open world, purely because that’s what you had to do on the other games. It’s simple stuff like that, it makes all the difference here.

11 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

I feel like if you’ve played the other games and you go into this with the same mindset and the same way of playing, there’s a good chance you can make things harder than they need to be, especially early doors. For example, the whole way you collect Runes. Whether you choose to fight for them or explore for them, once you’ve actually got them you can simply just pop the map open, warp to any save point and spend them. 

Even now, I’m finding a lot of the time I’m bagging loads but pushing forwards into high level stuff for no reason at all when I’m in the open world, purely because that’s what you had to do on the other games. It’s simple stuff like that, it makes all the difference here.

For me it's often that I don't want to reset the enemies by warping back to a grace point. Especially in a dungeon. So I push on and hope to find another grace point soon.

It's much less of an issue in the actual open world, I agree, since it's mostly easy to avoid enemies on the horse if you want 

Great rune question:

Spoiler

I've taken Godrick's rune to the top of the divine tower in Limgrave and interacted with the thing there, and I've now equipped his rune in the Great Rune menu that's opened up when I rest at a PoG. Is that all I need to do? The tutorial says equipping it will raise my attributes, but it's not very clear. It also says that consuming a Rune Arc will increase the Great Rune's effects. How long does that last for? Until I next die?

It's all a bit confusing. Sounds like this game's version of Humanity.

Also, post-Godrick spoiler:

Spoiler

I can't believe there's a back way into the castle! Can you actually go this way and just confront Godrick in the courtyard he's in without having to go all the way through the castle at all? I laughed aloud when I discovered where that path down the mountain side brought me out.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Any tips for Crucible Knight? He's wrecking me.

Where's that again? I'm sure I killed him but I instantly forget the names of big baddies. 

3 minutes ago, Hexx said:

Screw you rahdan! I'm going to the pub. 

I'm sure coming back at 11pm will make the fight easier!

Spoiler

If it helps he’s supposed to be a pretty late-game boss. I abandoned him and went NW instead where things are definitely more my speed 

Got Godrick down to 50%!

Oh.

Getting his life down doesn't seem to take too may swings - it's just that his entire moveset hurts... :D 

E: down to 25%!

Spoiler

I don't think he combos out of his ground-scraping move, so that looks like a freebie?

• Broker changed the title to Elden Ring - Colosseum PVP Update Out Now