IGNORED

Elden Ring - chortlesome japes

Broker

Is it cross save between PS4 and PS5 does anyone know? I’ve still got to unbox and assemble the new living room TV, and that’s after I’ve put up 6 curtain rails :hmm:

But! I can easily set up the PS4 upstairs in the spare room, I just want to play this game so badly but I have a million things I need to do. 

31 minutes ago, Goemon said:

Ha! I started as a Wretch, thinking I’ll just pick up a load of bits and pieces and let what I find dictate how I play…an hour in and I’ve got fuck all! Still legging around in my loincloth with the club. :lol:

This doesn't bode well - I've gone Wretch too.

Is there a dedicated photo mode like Demons' Souls, I couldn't find one?

Also, how do you perform the motion based gestures on PS5 please? I have no idea how to trigger them even though I'd tried all sorts with the gyro stuff.

In previous games you would hold X and then waggle the controller. It took me a few years to realise and it's crazy how few people seem to know. Even speedrunners use the menu after boss battles, but maybe they turn it off so they don't start praising the sun mid-battle.

PC version seems fine so far (very quick shot this morning before the school run). Defaulted to everything on high at 1440p (I’ll experiment with settings later) and looks lovely. Only niggle is a delay when switching between sword and bow (samurai build) yet I’m on a gen3 NVME. 
Also, Ultrawide can’t come soon enough!

Can’t wait to get stuck in after the bairn goes to school! Or if my boss is reading, after work… yeah I’m gonna wait till 4pm ;)

Apologies if already mentioned but has anyone seen the Worth A Buy “review”?! Dunno what’s going on with his system?!

Ooooh a nice morning pre-work session.  I've decided to just follow the grace lights for a bit to see if that leads me to some nice loot, of course getting distracted along the way.  First thing I did was return to the Catacombs that spanked me last night with my new trousers - they didn't make loads of difference but I managed to fully explore it and get some nice loots! 

Upgraded my club, I've still not got a shield.  Blocking with my club is doing the job when I need to, but I'm mostly rolling like a maniac, and going a bit mad with the jump attacks (jump attacks are amazing, and track way better than they ought to!). 

I bought an almost full set of chainmail, been a while since I've needed to do that in a Souls game!  Also got a soldier's helm off some rando I murdered on my way to the next grace site from Church of Ellek (name might be wrong, the one with the santa's helper shop dude).  Of course, got distracted on the way... Found a cave with some wolves, in which I beat the boss on my first try, which was heart pounding!!  Loving the club's weapon art thing, makes R2 attacks have hyper armour :)

I also found something which I thought was a crystal lizard equivalent, but wasn't!!  Loving the subversion of my expectations with Souls games this thing is pulling off. 

Just got my horse and met my level up lady.  Stopped there for now.   Today's gonna be slow!! 

In boring tech news, I've currently opted for nVidia control panel enforced 30Hz, see how that goes.  I call it 'Bloodborne mode'.  It's not too bad, only looks ropey when I spin the camera quickly.   The tech side is weird, where the framerate is bad I can change settings between lowest and maximum and it only makes about 8fps difference.  Utterly bizarre.   But, for now I can at least play on maximum gfx settings at solid 30fps.  It'll do.  I can't be arsed tinkering, the game's too alluring.  

4 minutes ago, Minion said:

Have to hold down triangle then press R1 to two hand, took me a while to figure that one out!

It does tell you this in the tutorial.  Ditto how to switch enemies while locked on.

People did do the tutorial, right?  :D

3 minutes ago, robdood said:

It does tell you this in the tutorial.  Ditto how to switch enemies while locked on.

People did do the tutorial, right?  :D

I actually missed that area completely and found it late last night when I went back to explore. 

37 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Is it cross save between PS4 and PS5 does anyone know? I’ve still got to unbox and assemble the new living room TV, and that’s after I’ve put up 6 curtain rails :hmm:

But! I can easily set up the PS4 upstairs in the spare room, I just want to play this game so badly but I have a million things I need to do. 

I’ve heard your saves can go from PS4 to PS5 but not vice versa. 

But it’s increasingly looking like the PS4 version on PS5 is the way to go if you want smooth performance, disappointingly. 

So frustrating that From can never seem to nail the performance side of things right out of the gate (or ever, really - they never fix it). 

Reading these impressions over coffee is really great.

It seems that I will have to go Wretch as seeing that so many are makes me feel as if I would be cheating if I didn’t. I won’t even look at the other classes for fear of being tempted by their shiny armour…

Meanwhile I am going to start watching Lamb in six minutes (whilst also watching for my postman).

8 minutes ago, Nosejam said:

082D2780-5C18-49B3-A162-4DE42995990E.thumb.png.068c3e07a48039454815446d75f47227.png

Absolutely refusing to load on Xbox SX this morning. Have tried closing and restarting and this latest attempt I’ve left it for 15 mins and it won’t do anything 

Disconnect your machine from internet, should circumvent it.

Then in settings, you can change something like 'login mode' or 'online connection' and set it to start in offline. 

13 minutes ago, Minion said:

Nope

11 minutes ago, Nosejam said:

I actually missed that area completely and found it late last night when I went back to explore. 

Ok slow the heck down and start looking at your environment a bit more then.  If you can miss a ghostly dude sitting by a huge hole who tells you it's a tutorial, god knows what you're going to miss otherwise! :P

Also - I LOVE how 'hidden' things are, like cave entrances and the like.  You'll just be mooching, and as you chase down an opponent, you realise something that didnt even look like ANYTHING from a distance is actually a gap in the mountain.  Magnificent. 

5 minutes ago, Ste Pickford said:

Am I right in thinking that if you buy PS5 version on disk, you don't have access to the PS4 version, so can't play PS4 version on PS5?

It looks that way. But I believe buying the PS4 version allows a free upgrade to the PS5 version.

5 hours ago, CrichStand said:

Also, It’s waaaaaay easier. For the first 2 and half hrs I was running around one hit killing and cutting through large groups of enemies with ease. Absolute piece of piss!

😆

7A5BB117-CA49-494F-9D05-B8B90DC37407.jpeg

Another "wait a few months for patches" AAA game. 

Lovely.

What's the chances they fix the performance issues soon? I would rather hang off than play a hitching mess. 

2 hours ago, Simmy said:

Folks - sorry to be the one asking this but has anyone got a video I can watch regarding the combat and how to do it?

Just has to be something simple if possible - like how to block, how to dodge etc.

Also timing - is it like pinpoint reflex every time? I've always really struggled with that - like reloading in gears of war I'd often just miss or overshoot the button press for reloading. I'm going to struggle I think but wanted to check.

Did you do the tutorial/ training bit? It's optional and easy to miss - you have to drop off a ledge right near the start, by a guy sitting in a chair. It gives you a bunch of easy enemies to kill and talks you through all the basic attacks. Warp back to the first warp point if you missed it.