IGNORED

Elden Ring - chortlesome japes

Broker

10 minutes ago, Mike S said:

This is not my experience at all. 

Loads of games that use it stutter. Control, The Ascent, Outriders, etc all had problems at launch. Look at any Steam game that uses Direct X 12 and there'll be complaints about stuttering.

2 minutes ago, El Spatula said:

Loads of games that use it stutter. Control, The Ascent, Outriders, etc all had problems at launch. Look at any Steam game that uses Direct X 12 and there'll be complaints about stuttering.

There will always be tech complaints about any PC game (or any game on any platform to be fair) but, as I say, it is not something I have ever experienced and l default to DX12 when it is an option. Of those three games cited I have only played Control and that was smooth as silk. Maybe this will be a stuttering slideshow on PC and I'll be eating my words but we'll see..

Anyway, enough tech talk. 

Not sure how I want to play this. I fancy something slightly different. I normally went pyro in dark souls , chain whip exclusively in Bloodborne but tend to be a light weight pike and shield guy these days In Demons Souls.

Man I would play every game with a chain whipping cane.

Man, I am so pumped for this now! Posted in the Ghost of Tsushima thread that I'm right on the verge of mopping that up today (it's been superb btw) just in time for this. I've been playing Ghost on a newly set up PS5 + 4k projector on a 3m wide screen and I cannot begin to say how jaw dropping it has been. I think this may just top it. I'll have the day off work tomorrow, will stock up on snacks, maybe a very nice single malt for later on and it should just about be the perfect day (besides having to also look after the kids of course - who decides to arrange basketball matches at 7pm on a Friday evening? I mean come on...).  😂

22 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

Not sure how I want to play this. I fancy something slightly different. I normally went pyro in dark souls , chain whip exclusively in Bloodborne but tend to be a light weight pike and shield guy these days In Demons Souls.

Man I would play every game with a chain whipping cane.

I think you're going to be daft not to use magic.  Magic seems ludicrously abundant and actually well implemented in this game, that 's what people are saying!

2 hours ago, yashiro said:

Rumblings around the net of the PC version not running well.

Don't forget, every new PC release that doesn't run at 100fps on whatever shitbox somebody has built on the cheap is the worst thing ever.

10 minutes ago, layten said:

Don't forget, every new PC release that doesn't run at 100fps on whatever shitbox somebody has built on the cheap is the worst thing ever.

How dare you disagree with the hyperbole

It’s not hyperbole. It’s one games journalist saying the frame rate frequently dropped on their 3080 and another saying it’s mostly fine, bar bad stutters and crashes, but at least it’s better than the console versions. Hardly ringing endorsements. 

Disappointed the Adventure Guide (whatever that is) is also locked to launch. Ain’t no way I’ll be reading it once the game unlocks at the same time. Surely it should be pre-read material. Stupid decision.

I see around the internet the 'from soft games need difficulty settings' debate has started again. 

You never get this bizzare pish in any other medium "I love Game of Thrones but wish there was a version of it with less sex and gritty violence:(", "The Locust are a great band but can they please make a nice slow acoustic ballad".

"Edgar Allan Poe is a great writer but his stories are too scary".

Trampgaming on my trusty PlayStation 4. The natural habitat for the best From games.

And I do remember not having a PS4 at the time that MGS V was released, and playing that on aging hardware didn't detract from the awesomeness of the game at all. Never been a fps maniac, and I still play at 720p on a 25" telly. I think I'll be fine.

1 minute ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Trampgaming on my trusty PlayStation 4. The natural habitat for the best From games.

And I do remember not having a PS4 at the time that MGS V was released, and playing that on aging hardware didn't detract from the awesomeness of the game at all. Never been a fps maniac, and I still play at 720p on a 25" telly. I think I'll be fine.

The 360/PS3 versions of mgsv were actually really solid, that game was essentially developed for those.

This definitely looks like a non-starter on base Xbox one, I'm kind of shocked games are still coming out on that junk hardware.

Just now, deerokus said:

The 360/PS3 versions of mgsv were actually really solid, that game was essentially developed for those.

And Elden Ring started development as a PS4 title, so bar the loading times, I should be fine. Maybe install a SSD to speed things up a bit, and at least it gives me time to read the lore in item descriptions. 

3 minutes ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Looks no worse than Bloodborne so I can't see it being too problematic! As much as I personally would like. 60fps patch, it's still one of the greatest games ever made! :)

8 hours ago, Ry said:

Yes. Xbox app on phone. Search for game. Click on game. Click on "install to console"

Brilliant, often overlooked feature. Saves all the waiting on launch day bullshit. 

Thank you so much for reminding me of this - currently downloading on my Series X so will be ready to go!

Agonising over what build to go for first time now. 

Usually like a paladin-type for a first playthrough, few extra healing spells can help with a tough slog through a hard area and sunlight blade is always a winner. 

But pure str with ultra greatswords etc. is always awesome! 

But maybe dex will be good this time or there will be cool spells? Would love some nice utility type spells. 

I always like the idea of going for dex builds, like some kind of Dark Souls ninja - but jeez every time I try it I get mullered over and over again, so end up going back and creating a greatsword wielding tank, which gets me much farther.

On reading reviews, this seems to allow for some degree of striking from the darkness so maybe it'll be do-able for me this time? Who am I kidding, zweihander all the way! Actually for Dark Souls 2 I rocked dual clubs and they crushed absolutely everything!  :D

4 hours ago, Kzo said:

Agonising over what build to go for first time now. 

You can't know until you've played it and see what you find, surely? 

I'll be 100% going for ultimate jack of all trades, I want to be using every new item and spell as soon as I get it. 

'builds' come later. Like when you know where stuff is and can make a plan from game start, beelining for the stuff you want. 

Yes. It's 540am and I have woken up like a child at Xmas because ITS ELDEN RING DAY. 

I wonder if there will be any re-spec stats option in this? I haven't been reading/watching full reviews, just their conclusions, so I don't know if it's been mentioned. Respeccing would be nice considering how big the game is, and help allieviate some of those unsure about what to go for.

I've gone for quite different characters each Souls game (listed in the order I played)

Demon Souls original - magic, but I had no idea what I was doing so I had stats all over the place and so wasn't OP! Never finished the game.

Bloodborne - chain whip/hammer (dex, strength and vit)

Dark Souls 3 - pyro with great sword, light armour, no shield (int, str, very low vit)

Dark Souls 1 - big beefy knight boy, double handed weapons, heavy armour, shields (str, vit, stam)

Sekiro - the playstyle is swordfighting

Demon Souls remake - spears and shields, heavy armour (str, vit, dex, stam)

I feel like for Elden Ring I want some kind of hybrid. Seeing as Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne were the only games I used dodging as my primary escape method, maybe it would be fun to go back to light rolling, seeing as this game sound a bit less punishing. I found Dark Souls 3 incredibly hard as I was very squishy and had a long windup time on my good spells, and Bloodborne I didn't beat some of the bosses without jolly co-op. Then I was determined to get better from Dark Souls 1 onwards and stopped using jolly co-op in my first playthroughs, although I did start using shields which helped the difficulty.

I am very curious about all the new magic/summoning stuff/weapon skills/stealth and how its all incorporated. Hopefully you get a bit of chance to experiment early on, that's one thing the mainline Souls games have been really bad at, in terms of letting you try out different build types without spending hours sinking stats into them, when you just want to try out stuff like magic or greatswords. I also wish there was some sort of ranger class where bows are viable as main weapons, where you just use lock-on. I just want some Legolas type shit, where you can roll around and flip and unleash hails of arrows. Maybe one day!

Haven't some folk on here had review copies? Let us know what kind of playstyles you ended up going with, would be cool to hear your thoughts.