IGNORED

Elden Ring - chortlesome japes

Broker

Game Informer:

"Once in a great while, a game comes along that seamlessly combines impeccable gameplay, a wondrous world, incredible tone-setting music, and unparalleled art direction. That game is From Software's Elden Ring, an action RPG that channels the best aspects of the studio's last decade of work into one enormous package. This absurdly ambitious open world captivated my curiosity, enticed me with puzzles, secrets, and mysteries, and served up unbelievably satisfying moments as I experienced one of the most extraordinary adventures of all time."

From is on a mighty streak.

4 hours ago, BitterToad said:

There's obviously a hope that at 3pm today we get universal praise; 10's across the board, a Eurogamer Essential, seven videos of gurning YouTubers holding a controller with "BEST GAME EVOOOOR" (followed by comments from older forumites saying they're not watching that) and tweets from magazine journals saying "it's amazing, review coming in three months."

But there's always a part of me that thinks that after all the hype, all the amazing trailers, all of the Breath of the Wild meets Dark Souls chat, imagine if it was shit. And not Far Cry 6 shit. Imagine if it was fully blown disaster. Sure I'd lose out on what sounds like it could be the greatest game of all time, but think of what we'd all gain in terms of going through twitter this afternoon watching everyone lose their shit. 

It'd be funny, that's all I'm saying. 

This guy's a fucking moron, then. 

13 minutes ago, MansizeRooster said:

I utterly adored Bloodborne (largely due to the Lovecraftian stuff) but Demon's Souls on PS3 left me cold.

I think I'll give this one a go.

Totally the same for me, put in around 200 into Bloodborne, but Demon Soul's and Dark Souls III just did not click with me.

7 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

Game Informer:

From is on a mighty streak.

I always felt like Dark Souls only getting 80s metacritic scores was just a damned injustice.

I pre ordered this yesterday , happy to hear it’s turned out reasonably well lol

The problem is I’ve been playing demons souls for the last couple of days and really got back into it. This is going to look so shit in comparison.

Ok, I'm fully aboard the hype train now.

Probably wont be day-one'ing it regardless as I dont have time right now and generally like to give stuff a bit of time to even out, get patches, generate a bit of general post-hype feedback etc, BUT I'll be making time for it sooner rather than later for sure.

Will definitely be keeping a lookout for the DF analysis in light of the pc comments though. The brief article RPS has up makes it sound like the game has an ok number of settings to fiddle with....buuut not an awful lot to gain by actually doing it. Also, presumably having a game locked at 60 (while it doesnt bother me as I do that anyway) probs makes it a bit harder to benchmark anything that hits the cap - I assume they'd have to look at clock speeds / gpu load at that point.

12 minutes ago, englishbob said:

I hope it's nothing like BOTW - I don't want to be battling enemies in this with some skeletal arm ffs

Come on. You know if there was a weapon that was made out of an arm in this it would be Uber gothic and metal as fuck.