IGNORED

Elden Ring - chortlesome japes

Broker

9 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

Hahah wonderful. I've played several hours of Bloodborne and none of the other games but have this ordered. This is going to be an experience.

There are at least two things to address here.

The sights you have yet to see and the hardships you must suffer once you address them are enviable!!!

1 hour ago, therearerules said:

Got this installed on the Xbox now- do we know if it's going live at midnight? (Apologies if already answered)

From what I have read online, it should be. It appears to be a local midnight release for whatever region you are in.

1 hour ago, Klatrymadon said:

Anyone else thinking of getting this on PS4? My PC is at pretty much the exact recommended spec for Sekiro, and might struggle to run this unless I turn off a lot of flashies, so I figure I might as well go with an off-the-peg setup. I don't care about most Digital Foundryish technical considerations, and a capped 30fps framerate and some missing geographical detail has got to beat a constant losing battle for the best of everything, no?

I'll be playing on base PS4. I'm sure plenty of people will be. I might pirate it for PC just to see how it handles, but it's really getting on in years (the CPU is 10 years old and the GPU 7, damn...) I've seen the DF videos and I'm not worried about the quality at all.

2 hours ago, Floshenbarnical said:

*shits pants*

im bad at games

I’ll raise your bad at games and add that I’ve never played a souls game before. Can’t wait 😝 I’m looking forward to the challenge and am prepared to learn the mechanics and develop my skills. 

56 minutes ago, djbhammer said:

From what I have read online, it should be. It appears to be a local midnight release for whatever region you are in.

I saw 00:00 25/2/22 somewhere on the Xbox, so definitely. Which means set your timezone to NZ 🇳🇿 and you can play much earlier ☺️ 11am Thursday??

6 hours ago, Melon_Bread said:

I watched some of the streamers who got to play this yesterday and, oh boy, if you think it's gonna be easier you better get your big boy pants on.

I think the way it might be 'easier', certainly than sekiro, is just because of the freedom. Go away and do something easier for a while, find some better weapons, craft an awesome meal. Exploration looks like being its own reward.

Diametrically opposed to Sekiro, which is brutally difficult partly because it's so linear and tightly designed.

6 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Introduction to the lore of Elden Ring:

Watch it if you want to have an inkling about the lore and story before diving in. Contains a few minor spoilers!

is it necessary to watch this? Will the lore not be revealed by playing the game? 

37 minutes ago, geldra said:

is it necessary to watch this? Will the lore not be revealed by playing the game? 

You definitely don’t need to watch it. Cool as it is. There are plenty of visual spoilers in there, based on one’s definition. And, while it is ancient lore, there could be potential hints at in-game plot developments. Tread carefully, Tarnished.

And on the subject of spoilers, there is an open spoilers thread on Era from all the early leaks, and while I wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole, there are a crazy few who couldn’t resist the temptation, and just ‘take a peak’.

They tend to come back out laughing and crying and hugging each other.

12 minutes ago, jonamok said:

And on the subject of spoilers, there is an open spoilers thread on Era from all the early leaks, and while I wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole, there are a crazy few who couldn’t resist the temptation, and just ‘take a peak’.

They tend to come back out laughing and crying and hugging each other.

I’ve watched and read everything in that thread and I’m convinced that this is the game that elevates Miyazaki to Kojima and Miyamoto levels of power. It looks like an absolute masterpiece in every regard. 

8 hours ago, deerokus said:

I have a disc copy ordered for series X, am I right in thinking that downloading the game in advance (you can do t through the app) should mean it's ready to go as soon as I put the disc in?

Correct.

I've gone from "I'm looking forward to seeing what From do with this, they haven't quite captured the magic since Bloodborne, but it should still be good" to "I have never been more excited for a video game, this could re-define the medium for a generation." Mostly on the basis of one 6 minute trailer lmao.

On the one hand, this is usual hype-train stuff. We’ve all been here countless times before, the ride is fun, it helps to pass the time, but we shouldn’t take it too seriously.

On the other, bollocks to reason, your own, personal, game of the forever releases in a few days. Your decades of gaming are about to reach their zenith. Lose your damn shit already.

8 hours ago, deerokus said:

I think the way it might be 'easier', certainly than sekiro, is just because of the freedom. Go away and do something easier for a while, find some better weapons, craft an awesome meal. Exploration looks like being its own reward.

Diametrically opposed to Sekiro, which is brutally difficult partly because it's so linear and tightly designed.

Yeah, it  didn't look Sekiro brutal, thank god.

Scared I’m gonna catch a hiding on this. Never get on with From games as the worst mechanic for me is that I’m too impatient to parry and block. As someone who rinses stuff like Devil May Cry and Platinum and sucks at the fighting in Bloodborne, Jedi Fallen Order and Monster Hunter, is my pre-order a big mistake?

2 minutes ago, mikeyl said:

Scared I’m gonna catch a hiding on this. Never get on with From games as the worst mechanic for me is that I’m too impatient to parry and block. As someone who rinses stuff like Devil May Cry and Platinum and sucks at the fighting in Bloodborne, Jedi Fallen Order and Monster Hunter, is my pre-order a big mistake?

There should be enough build variety to suit your play style. When I played through DS2 and 3 I don’t think I landed a single parry. :blush: I’m tempted to go for a big tanky Champion character and build around defence, but the beta showed that agile characters and magic users were just as viable.

10 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

There should be enough build variety to suit your play style. When I played through DS2 and 3 I don’t think I landed a single parry. :blush: I’m tempted to go for a big tanky Champion character and build around defence, but the beta showed that agile characters and magic users were just as viable.

Cool didn’t even know you can pick/customise characters like that. My other favourite mechanic is over-levelling so that I can brute force tricky encounters. Does this do that?