IGNORED

Elden Ring - chortlesome japes

Broker

1 hour ago, Qazimod said:

I feel like it's not going to be as obtuse, at least in some ways. Little things like the site of grace pointing in a general direction, having an actual map to follow, being able to go and find crafting ingredients to bring back to base, having the catacombs as these clearly-defined dungeons that are isolated experiences. You'll be able to have more confidence about finding something to do that feels like progress, compared to the older games where you were dropped in with not much of a clue.

This is mostly the case, although there are a few traditional obtuse moments. 

Spoiler

The main one being that you have to rest at a specific early grace to unlock levelling and the steed.

6 minutes ago, Number 28 said:

While we're discussing English, shouldn't it be obscure or abstruse? Obtuse means blunt or dull-witted. Pedantic as fuck, but I can't have people dissing Elden Ring even by mistake. :hat:

(Thanks for the article btw)

Mea culpa my friend. 

Oh, in case anybody is interested in a cool moment of very typical FromSoftware meanness (warning, spoiler which is why this didn't go in the article).

Spoiler

At one point I opened a chest that was hiding a trap which teleported me to an area where the enemies totally fucked me up. Really punished me for curiosity/greed :) Cue me spending 20 minutes running and hiding to find a point of grace to teleport away. Was perhaps the most Souls-like moment of the 6 hours.

I just watched the Vaati preview which was a bit naughty, but it's mainly the early parts of the game that were in the network test. I'm certainly aboard the hypetrain now, so I best lay off the YouTube. Vaati suggested that watching the forthcoming lore videos wouldn't be spoilery and would actually enhance your playthrough, but if they're anything like his others they'll be jam packed with clips of the game from start to finish, so...pull the other one, mate. :P

3 hours ago, earlymodernsteve said:

This is mostly the case, although there are a few traditional obtuse moments. 

Reveal hidden contents

The main one being that you have to rest at a specific early grace to unlock levelling and the steed.

That's a change from the network test, isn't it? I watched a few videos of people taking different characters through the tests, and in that, IIRC

Spoiler

you unlocked those things at whatever happened to be the second site you encountered - didn't have to be any specific one.

I watched the gameplay video again this morning and I’m thinking I might be on the fence with this.

I have the credit on my account ready to go but I didn’t really get the urge to play it while watching it.

I think the Souls games are some of the best ever made and it’s high point was Bloodborne. I got Demons on PS5 but probably only got 3 bosses in and really should get back to it.

4 hours ago, Strafe said:

I am holding off reading anymore Elden Ring stuff so I can read about it after release when I get stuck instead.

That’s one of the things that annoys me the most these days. Not the getting stuck bit but the fact that the community will have this game licked within the first day. Even before it comes out thousands of people will have finished it and tens of thousands will know everything about it inside out.

I remember when Dark Souls came out the whole concept was so new and fresh there was nothing but mystery for a long while and it felt like a community effort to unlock it’s secrets.

Maybe the next souls game needs to take that community cooperation and discovery and advancement and make that part of the game. Peter molyneux inspired.

8 hours ago, Harrisown said:

That’s one of the things that annoys me the most these days. Not the getting stuck bit but the fact that the community will have this game licked within the first day. Even before it comes out thousands of people will have finished it and tens of thousands will know everything about it inside out.

I remember when Dark Souls came out the whole concept was so new and fresh there was nothing but mystery for a long while and it felt like a community effort to unlock it’s secrets.

Maybe the next souls game needs to take that community cooperation and discovery and advancement and make that part of the game. Peter molyneux inspired.

yeah, thanks 'influencer culture'!! It's fucking ruined things, when the big youtubers etc have already had the game for weeks before anyone else. 

Yeah, it’s easy for the professional nerds to optimise the fun out of a game - especially in something like this with an open world. Grace guidance is one thing, but I kind of also want to ride into the unknown and map out my various misadventures myself :D 

Watching the previews. Yeah, looks fucking amazing.

"This is a game that will shatter your expectations and you cannot even imagine the scale and depth of it"

And this is from one of the less hyberbolic/enthusiastic previews.

The structure, world layout and potential for exploring looks like the game you've always wanted. It looks so ambitious, intricate and detailed , I just can't see how anyone could have the same journey as someone else. One of the previews said that if you think the map looks big, it's at least that again underground.

I think the graphics and artwork look beautiful, it's so distinctive and otherworldly. They really have made a complete dark fantasy world here.

I'm so ready.

15 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Watching the previews. Yeah, looks fucking amazing.

"This is a game that will shatter your expectations and you cannot even imagine the scale and depth of it"

And this is from one of the less hyberbolic/enthusiastic previews.

The structure, world layout and potential for exploring looks like the game you've always wanted. It looks so ambitious, intricate and detailed , I just can't see how anyone could have the same journey as someone else. One of the previews said that if you think the map looks big, it's at least that again underground.

I'm really intrigued in how they'll apply the usual soulsy shortcuts to the overworld. No doubt the dungeon locations will be similar to the usual but for the overworld map I think there's a fine balance between being 'open' enough that you have large areas to move relatively freely within (not too corridory) but also retain plenty of opportunity for time-saving and alternate pathing.

1 hour ago, Vulgar Monkey said:

I'm really intrigued in how they'll apply the usual soulsy shortcuts to the overworld. No doubt the dungeon locations will be similar to the usual but for the overworld map I think there's a fine balance between being 'open' enough that you have large areas to move relatively freely within (not too corridory) but also retain plenty of opportunity for time-saving and alternate pathing.

Excellent point, and a point of concern for myself!

I hope they also manage to get enough differences in terms of art design in each area. I hated Dark Souls 2 because whilst it had various environments, they were stitched together in a way they didn't feel like they belonged, but 1,3, BB and Sekiro handled it beautifully. Subtle enough to feel connected, but varying enough to feel rewarded for exploring. 

1 hour ago, Vulgar Monkey said:

From the previews, expect the unexpected. Any expectations and predictions we had about how the world is structured and accessed are going to be turned upside down.

It's not Dragon's Dogma, BoTW or even Dark Souls in an open world. I think Miyazaki is going to reveal his true artistry and creativity with this game and we will be left reeling.

4 hours ago, Vulgar Monkey said:

I think they've said the world has fast travel between locations and I'd imagine the larger castles, dungeons etc will have the traditional Souls shortcuts as normal. 

Man, now that we're getting closer, my impatience is really ramping up. I started watching the Vaati Vidya impressions video, but turned it off after a couple of minutes because I found it too spoily. 

Rrrrrrrrgh. I wanna play it now!