Elden Ring - chortlesome japes

Broker

It's not Sekiro, and it's not Dark Souls. It's Elden Ring. Everyone's experience of the games can be different because each of them have enough different things going on to make them stand apart. I liked Sekiro and BB, bounced off DS1 but didn't mind the DS sequels - however, my experience in those games only really prepares me for a few conventional tropes that ER selectively borrows from each of the games - the retrieval of dropped currency, the stamina, the bosses with big health bars. It's like Dark Souls but with less invasions, and no hollowing or humanity (and subsequently less restrictions when summoning), and an open world, and a subsystem devoted to collecting materials in the world and crafting them, and a horse that changes the dynamic of movement and stamina management, and more viable magic, and no weapon durability management, and an integrated map, and more opportunities to do other things when you fail and - especially with the catacombs - a greater number of optional diversions, and so on. Elden Ring gives you a lot of shit to do, and how much value it adds to your experience depends on how you choose to play the game, but for me it sets it apart from the other games enough to make the comparison redundant.

If Elden Ring "was Dark Souls" I'd happily boot up DS1 again and jump on my horse before riding off to another region to gather crafting materials that will help me in the catacombs found on its in-game map ;) In all seriousness, it does share the feeling of being "forced" to play certain sections, because eventually you will find some compulsory overarching goals gated by encounters with badasses (e.g. "obtain x mandatory items to open the door to the thing"), but the journey towards reaching those goals is far less restrictive than the other games. So you will need to attempt certain sections until you overcome them, but Elden Ring's broader theme is "go away - you're not ready for this bit yet."

2 hours ago, MardiganX said:

Hello :) I’ve wandered in here off the back of completing and absolutely loving Sekiro but being traumatised by every other From game. I’ve never went past about half way in other Soulsborne stuff but Sekiro has been a special experience. I love a difficult game that requires skill and lots of practice to get the best out of, but I can’t fucking stand the oppressive slogs that every other From game forces you to endure as part of the gameplay cycle. Sekiro cut through all that nonsense by streamlining the world and more importantly making every single encounter with any enemy fun.

How does Elden Ring compare? I appreciate the combat and character building is more like Dark Souls but does the more open world make it less of a life sucking experience whenever you have to restart a cycle? I want to play it and Sekiro has given me hope it could be a great game and really work for me but my past experiences with every other From game still loom large. Help me lowly Tarnished.

I’ve bounced off every souls game I have played to varying degrees Just too hard, too frustrating when you die. Too inaccessible.

Every souls game except Elden Ring that is. It is in the top 5 games I have ever played . It is magnificent.  

4 hours ago, MardiganX said:

Can you think about any human person playing other Souls games and not liking them? Or is there something unique about Elden Ring that sets it above those games? 

Quite simply, when I die in it (and I know I will die a lot) will I be forced to play sections of boring combat over and over or have From made something special again in how fun it makes even the most basic encounter? There wasn’t a single time in Sekiro where I felt deflated upon death, because there was never a huge amount of stuff to replay to get where I needed to go, plus once you get a grip on the combat system it’s incredibly fun and rewarding.

Yes there’s something unique about this as a gaming masterpiece in my opinion. It is almost overwhelming at times. I think you should see it and most people who are into games should. Even if you don’t end up finishing it.  

I can understand how dark souls is not for everyone and some people will just get stuck and not like it. It is impossible to get stuck in this unless you want to try something many times. You can just go do something else. For a million years.

I just put it down it is 1am! 

The checkpoints here are much more abundant. They even let you just start at the boss again in some encounters. It is very rarely wanting you to replay a long section to get back to where you were. 

You seldom have to run for ages to get your souls back or rerun the part you already mastered like in dark souls. But you could die twice and loose your souls so there’s still that and some castles are so complicated in design it can get a bit hairy. These castles wrap around on themselves and want you to learn the space and discover the short cuts. I think you could play this game for over 50 hours and never do a castle if you don’t want to though. 

1 hour ago, Sane said:

The castles are amazing though, with the early ones (Stormveil and the Academy) being particular highlights.

Yes they are I agree. I just imagine those are where someone who hates how punishing dark souls would get frustrated. I lost progress on stormveil because I had taken so many weird routes I could not find my way back and died a couple of times. 

I can’t quite tell what is considered early in this game. I have done stormveil and I just got to the academy. But I am level 50 and have been playing for absolute ages. 

Only yesterday did I realise 

Spoiler

The map is zoomed in when you start and just keeps zooming out and out as you progress. So the starting ‘edge’ of the map is a lie! I only realised because I played on PC for a bit and noticed the areas that I am in on ps5 you cannot even scroll to on my PC run. 

7 hours ago, Oz said:

The checkpoints here are much more abundant. They even let you just start at the boss again in some encounters. It is very rarely wanting you to replay a long section to get back to where you were. 

That was exactly my issue with other Souls games. Some sections got so boring to replay that I was no longer enjoying the game. I was never turned off by the difficulty of bosses or sections, they just became increasingly shit to play through, so it sounds like Elden Ring avoids that :)

Im inclined to wait for a price drop but at £50 I can’t see that happening any time soon so may pick it up in a couple weeks when I have rinsed a bit more sheer joy from Sekiro.

I found the ability to re-spec yesterday. Sat there for 20 minutes thinking about it. Then realised I had basically made two little changes to the build I already had. So I left it. I’ve been wanting to change things for a long time so I could use all these other items but faced with letting go of what I have gotten used to using, I could not make the trade.

At the beginning of August I made an incredibly naive post in the Wanted Folder:

"Rinsed it?:lol:

I picked it up about 2 weeks ago and have sunk about 50 hours into it and currently Level 50-ish.

I think everything has been said already in this thread, but I'm pretty stunned with what I am experiencing. AND we're getting DLC!

seriously what the fuck is this fight. it is a complete an utter bollocking. what is meant to be my window of opportunity? I could never really figure out the intended way to beat this but I think I did a good job of brute forcing by way of drinking half a million flasks.

Spoiler

the absolute beauty and joy of this game is running into things like this a second time and realising you can absolutely rinse them. wolf man is not fucking about. he means business. 

7 minutes ago, Oz said:

seriously what the fuck is this fight. it is a complete an utter bollocking. what is meant to be my window of opportunity? I could never really figure out the intended way to beat this but I think I did a good job of brute forcing by way of drinking half a million flasks.

Reveal hidden contents

Man, she's a cake walk compared to some you have coming.......but you'll LOVE IT.

11 minutes ago, Oz said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

You can run away without fighting her summons and they'll go away eventually, and you might get a moment where she's on her own and you can get some hits in, but it can be pretty inconsistent and you may have some unfortunate runs.

On my first successful attempt I just went in for the kill whilst they were all out and hoped for the best :D 

13 minutes ago, rgraves said:

Man, she's a cake walk compared to some you have coming.......but you'll LOVE IT.

Imma need to upgrade my boy. He is not holding up on these ones. He was missing his shots!

21 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

Reveal hidden contents

You can run away without fighting her summons and they'll go away eventually, and you might get a moment where she's on her own and you can get some hits in, but it can be pretty inconsistent and you may have some unfortunate runs.

On my first successful attempt I just went in for the kill whilst they were all out and hoped for the best :D 

Yeh it’s not a fun fight for sure. Very interesting and creative though. A million points for effort. 

I was not sure what was making the summons go away. I thought I had to take enough of their health. Thanks for the tip. I will use next time. 

I also noted later they give you the right shield for the encounter just outside the room. I should have checked as that would have been better. 

I should have also tried a weapon buff of some sort. I will try fire next time. 

edit: holy shit that was a close one! @Qazimod

4 minutes ago, Oz said:

Imma need to upgrade my boy. He is not holding up on these ones. He was missing his shots!

Dump him, there are waaaaaay better summons that you should stick your resources into.

Just now, rgraves said:

Dump him, there are waaaaaay better summons that you should stick your resources into.

I can’t! He is good. You just don’t know him like I do.

I'm at Crumbling FA at the moment. I've been using Rivers of Blood recently but fancy a change. Any suggestions on fun builds? I'll respec if necessary.

Never been keen on magic builds - all about the weapons combat.

5 hours ago, joemul said:

I'm at Crumbling FA at the moment. I've been using Rivers of Blood recently but fancy a change. Any suggestions on fun builds? I'll respec if necessary.

Never been keen on magic builds - all about the weapons combat.

I was dex / RoB for most of the game.  Not until after the final boss did I try the Blasphemous Blade (from the soul of the Volcano Manor boss).  Needed a load more STR than I has, but it was great fun.

I am currently struggling with a decision about the tree visit can I get some help

Spoiler

It seems I can either go and do a tourney in calid or go visit the tree in the capital (which is what the fingers want me to do lol). Is there a benefit to doing one before the other or does it not matter?

I have also been unable to decide about my rebirth. I am worried if I don’t use the the opportunity I will loose it later for example after visiting the tree.

it happened to me before that I did not accept a request by a witch in a tower and now I went back to the tower to accept and she is no longer there! Fuck

1 hour ago, Oz said:

I am currently struggling with a decision about the tree visit can I get some help

Hide contents

It seems I can either go and do a tourney in calid or go visit the tree in the capital (which is what the fingers want me to do lol). Is there a benefit to doing one before the other or does it not matter?

I have also been unable to decide about my rebirth. I am worried if I don’t use the the opportunity I will loose it later for example after visiting the tree.

it happened to me before that I did not accept a request by a witch in a tower and now I went back to the tower to accept and she is no longer there! Fuck

Spoiler

The Capital is fairly near the endgame so go for Caelid first (this also ties into a lengthy side quest)

As for rebirth, don't worry. You'll pick up enough Larval Tears throughout the game for re-speccing. Maybe not until a bit further in but I think I had 11 by the time I finished and I had re-specced at least 4 times

I’m starting Elden Ring today. I have time to play it on and off for the next couple weeks then a huge amount of time to put into it after that… if my will to live hasn’t been crushed by that point of course.

Started as what seems like the fairly standard Vagabond after deciding the Samurai just looked completely out of place so expect it’s going to take me a while to adjust to the different combat approach required following Sekiro. Wish me luck :)

On 20/09/2022 at 12:59, rgraves said:

He's gonna hold you back. If he loves you, he'll let you go.

I'm seeing a new guy. He was holding me back for sure. We double teamed wormface yesterday.

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, rgraves said:

Stop messing around with scrubs, get in the game with Mimic or Tiche.

I have spent so long trying to figure out how to get down there. Fucking hell. I am sure it is something obvious I have missed. I would like Tiche if I can manage to find that area. I will keep trying.

Spoiler

image.png.bd11073c2b749b125992c995386abc5d.png