IGNORED

Elden Ring - chortlesome japes

Broker

9 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

Hmm, just tried this and it doesn't seem that OP ... tried it out on the Fire Giant and it didn't really scratch him - then tried on the Tibea Mariner near Castle Sol and it took about 6 blasts to kill him!

Does the armour I am using make a difference?

It all scales with faith so any head gear that boosts health helps. What level faith are you at? Did you use the physick?

the lightening is sometimes a bit random if it hits or not which is why it works better on the bigger bosses. 

48 minutes ago, andygt said:

It all scales with faith so any head gear that boosts health helps. What level faith are you at? Did you use the physick?

the lightening is sometimes a bit random if it hits or not which is why it works better on the bigger bosses. 

Yeah, have played around with it a bit more and it's pretty good - it's great as an AoE for crowds of enemies and it made very short work of those 2 knife-footed lions in Sol Castle courtyard. I'm at 65 faith, will put another 5 in so I'm at your level. 

I hit 200 hours last night, still not finished.  Part way through Farum Azula, just reached Elphael, got at least two mini-dungeons and two Hero's Graves to complete, and not done Mohgwyn Palace yet.

It's going to take me another month!

Finally got through Leyndell last night (still need to fully explore the sewers though). Kicking myself a bit as i ran accidentally into Twin Fells and panick-summoned Mimic which made the fight an absolute walk in the park. Was quite gutted as it seemed it would have been a great fight for my non-magic build.

• 2 weeks later...

The level of thought and design that's gone into this game is just stunning.  Drawing my journal I've noticed loads of little details that would have passed me by if I was only playing the game in the ordinary way.  I'd never noticed those crabs with the faces on, mentioned at the end of the video.

1 hour ago, Ste Pickford said:

The level of thought and design that's gone into this game is just stunning.  Drawing my journal I've noticed loads of little details that would have passed me by if I was only playing the game in the ordinary way.  I'd never noticed those crabs with the faces on, mentioned at the end of the video.

Oh yes, it’s absolutely stunning. As you say, the level of thought that’s gone into it really boggles the mind. It might even replace Halo CE as my favourite game, which is high praise indeed.

I find it quite difficult to post about this game because there’s so much to talk about at any given time. It’s a masterpiece that I deeply love - I am approaching the end now (which means I have at least ten hours left) and I genuinely cannot wait to respec and jump into new game plus.

Scrambled recent thoughts:

- I mentioned earlier in this thread that the game’s kindness with summons and graces and Marika stakes means it has fewer of the intense highs of other From games - while this is still true I no longer see it as a negative. At the end of the day I am going to have put 100 hours into this despite spamming summons on every boss. If I didn’t have the option to do that the game would take me 400 hours and I just wouldn’t get to experience it properly.

And really, I think it is intended to be much more of a power fantasy than other From games. What you lose in the ecstatic suffering of spending five hours on a boss, you gain in the thrill of frequently kicking the living shit out of something massively intimidating (looking at you here, Godskin dickheads. Like hell I was ever going to try and solo those horrors).

- There was some narrative that built up on initial release that the endgame stretch after Leyndell is a step down. This is bollocks. Mountaintops of the Giants is excellent (Castle Sol ffs!) and Crumbling Farum Azula is astonishing. Haven’t even gotten to Haligtree yet. 

- Speaking of Farum Azula, Dragonlord Placidusax might be my favourite boss in the game, and is in the upper echelons of the From pantheon. Just an epic, gorgeous battle against what is basically a cross between King Ghidorah and Godzilla. When the noise drops out and he does his huge AOE attack! Laser beams for goodness sakes!

- Fuck me, I actually got a bit emotional when you talk to the blacksmith at the Roundtable hold and he calls you his lord. 

After finishing the game I decided I was going to try to mop up the last few bosses I'd missed, a couple of evergaols, etc., before NG+.  I'd not done the Yelough Anix Tunnel mini-dungeon in Consecrated Snowfield, so there was that, but I'd generally been pretty thorough and tried to do absolutely everything I could find on my way to the end of the game.

Anyway, pottering about yesterday and checking an online map I found THREE mini-dungeons I'd completely missed, about four sites of grace, as well as several Death Birds and Death Rite Birds that I'd not met before.  What a game.

I'm not certain I can face NG - i've poured hundreds of hours into it, and the thought of rubbing that away and having to go back and do it all again.....I like my nice full map and being able to warp around as I please.

At the same time, I am wondering about DLC and don't want to be doing some potentially ridonkulous bosses on NG+ where they absolutely wipe the floor with me, +10 Mimic Tear or otherwise.

1 hour ago, rgraves said:

I'm not certain I can face NG - i've poured hundreds of hours into it, and the thought of rubbing that away and having to go back and do it all again.....I like my nice full map and being able to warp around as I please.

Try Platinuming it, which requires three full playthroughs!

1 hour ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Try Platinuming it, which requires three full playthroughs!

Well yeah, I mean I missed that legendary weapon in the capital (of course, the only one you cannot get again if you miss it!) so that achievement is taunting me to go NG pretty strong.....

6 hours ago, Talvalin said:

After playing Sekiro, I am tempted to respec and do NG+ as a samurai. TBH, I probably need to respec anyway to deal with Malenia.

I wonder if there’s a build that makes it feel like Sekiro? I guess you wouldn’t get the grapple or double jump but I’d love it if you could get the feel of deflecting like in that game. 

1 hour ago, Gigawatt said:

I wonder if there’s a build that makes it feel like Sekiro? I guess you wouldn’t get the grapple or double jump but I’d love it if you could get the feel of deflecting like in that game. 

There is nothing. I'm reeeeeally gutted Sekiro deflecting didn't make its way into the game. It could've been so great. 

12 hours ago, joemul said:

Running round Haligtree with my Rivers of Blood. 

Hide contents

There are some magic blue guys who just seem almost impervious to physical attacks. 

Any tips?

Which bit of Halligtree - you might need to focus on killing the snails rather than the dudes.....

15 hours ago, joemul said:

Running round Haligtree with my Rivers of Blood. 

Hide contents

There are some magic blue guys who just seem almost impervious to physical attacks. 

Any tips?

Run away?  They're the only enemies I didn't kill at least once.  There's a bunch of them in a room with a chest - maybe a couple of situations like that - I just suicided into the room for the chest / item, and died.  Once day I'll come back with a different build and murder them.

2 hours ago, Ste Pickford said:

Run away?  They're the only enemies I didn't kill at least once.  There's a bunch of them in a room with a chest - maybe a couple of situations like that - I just suicided into the room for the chest / item, and died.  Once day I'll come back with a different build and murder them.

Even armed with a suitably blunt weapon to smash the fuck out of them and luring them out one by one, that trio were an absolute bastard. I recall getting summoned and then the guy running straight in and trying to take on all three at once. It did not end well.