IGNORED

Elden Ring - chortlesome japes

Broker

33 minutes ago, PeteJ said:

- I'm only posting this to channel the Law of Forums, when you post that something is difficult and then complete it on your next try. 

That worked perfectly for me, on the same boss. 

Have you done it yet? 

A friend of mine got stuck on Godson Duo for a solid 5 hours. This was weeks ago but he was sending me texts over days saying how shit and cheap and bad they were. I love these games for a multitude of reasons; the world design, the lore, the feeling of overcoming that almost insurmountable feeling difficulty. 

The biggest reason I love them? Well...

Spoiler

331462599_Screenshot2022-06-04at11_44_57.png.a2d790c06e07bc0a9daca04b34bce480.png

Final boss down this morning.

Spoiler

Bit of an anti-climax. Almost as poor as the ball at the end of Okami.

Quite a journey- relied on ashes as I don't have Gold, so co-op was inaccessible. And I wasn't ashamed to grind for runes occasionally to get past difficulty spikes.

Overall, I loved almost everything up until and including the capital. The early days of uncovering new parts of the map were the best for me, when the world was strange and filled with possibilities. The last part of the game fell down for me a bit as I didn't enjoy the bosses much at all and found it a slog. Some bosses would go down on the first attempt, while others took hours (and a hefty dose of luck) to beat.

Still prefer BotW as an open world game but that's because exploration is what I principally enjoy and being constantly hammered for doing so wasn't something I found particularly pleasing. It's a fine world but so comically grimdark and hostile that any sense of wonder I had was tempered with an unwelcome feeling of constantly being on guard.

On the fence about NG+. I think I'll need a palate cleanser in the meantime.

And boom! Done! I can pretend the general public are out there now celebrating my platinum.

NG++ was pretty easy up until Radagon/ EB who actually provided something of a test, after (very luckily) killing them first time on NG+.

Now to go again and mop up some of the many sidequests I haven't seen yet.

I've got a pretty solid Int class where I'm using the Dark Moon Greatsword. Only issue is I've come upon a couple of bosses/enemies that just feel quicker than it/magic. I've got a couple of Dragon Stones so could quite easily upgrade a sword all the way. Any tips for a fun, quick weapon that'd scale well with Int, Int and basically just Int? 

21 hours ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

That worked perfectly for me, on the same boss. 

Have you done it yet? 

I did not. Another 10 attempts and many close calls, but not quite. Not sure why I'm finding this so difficult as each attack is quite easy to avoid. 

Only 17-18 hours in, just in Stormveil castle and/or going back to do more of Limgrave… because the big armoured knights in the castle, well… I haven’t managed to kill any.

I’m about Level 30 and have recently lost 10,000 runes (which admittedly is only 1.8 levels at this point).

I got past Margit by using Rogier and the jellyfish and it still took me a while.

I started as Confessor and am using the starting Broadsword (upgraded to +3) and a shield. I haven’t found anything better yet, though the internet seems to suggest it’s not great because its strong attack isn’t a thrust (i.e. it’s short range).

I have moderate Faith and the fireball spell but have mostly focused on Str/Endurance.

Considering this is my first souls game, I’m fine to be told ways to cheesily improve my build / find a good weapon / etc.

I was hoping as a Confessor I could do more magic but it seems I end up pretty much as a Str/Warrior build anyway?

Help meeeee.

personally I think spell can be really useful in the early game. My prisoner spell let me do things I wouldn't have gotten away with had I not had it.

However when your a little further on I just find the item management such a faff in combat that it's much better to spec for sword and shield then decide if you want intelligence from glintstone stuff or if you want to do fancy faith spells that actually don't seem that powerful because they all seem so damn inaccurate.

I was around level 150 when I finished it with a high Faith build using the Blasphemous blade which made it pretty trivial towards the end, did the last boss second time and Melanie first time, I was just burning through the bosses at the end, Godskin Duo took me around 40 seconds. 

I think I'm at the last boss now. I almost took out the first stage in one go, although I can see it being a multi-stage rush of horrors so I doubt I'll be done any time soon. I'm wondering whether it's worth cleaning up a few options bosses first, although new levels cost so much at this point that I'm not sure it's worth it.

Spoiler

Maliketh

Was an absolute bastard by the way. That fight was the wall I was stuck on before, and it was still a tough fight after getting my hands on a level 10 Mimic Tear. The next couple of fights weren't so bad though.

Man, I think I may be making a Bleed build.

Spoiler

I'm a total doofus when it comes to the various interlocking systems in this but I managed to beat Armie Hammer without too much trouble (and a couple of summons...) thanks to Bleed. I'm using that weird dagger that's like the Soul Edge and Voldo's arm things. I'm basically doing Soul Caliber now.

I used the same sword throughout much of the game. Found it in one of the caravan chests near where you first get the horse. Lordswain greatsword, or something like that.

I did level up a few others, which were better for some fights, but went back to that trusty blade at the end. This was on a str/fai build.

2 minutes ago, BadgerFarmer said:

I used the same sword throughout much of the game. Found it in one of the caravan chests near where you first get the horse. Lordswain greatsword, or something like that.

I did level up a few others, which were better for some fights, but went back to that trusty blade at the end. This was on a str/fai build.

i have the Lordsworn Greatsword but it seems really slow?

I got into the capital with my Dexterity character today. It turns out that the Draconic TS roaming around outside is much harder when his AI hasn't broken. Trying to get in and be more aggressive got me killed, but a hit-and-run approach was a little better. I'm still not a fan of the lightning move, but I at least got better at fireball dodging - and I can claim an honest victory now!

9 hours ago, RJames said:

i have the Lordsworn Greatsword but it seems really slow?

Slower than a smaller sword, for sure, but hits harder and is more likely to interrupt your opponent, so you can just keep hitting them (and a jumping R2 attack will do a lot of poise damage). It's always that tradeoff, but if you're focused on STR, you're geared towards using a bigger, slower weapon.

If you stick with the broadsword though, try equipping it with a 'Heavy' class ash of war, because you'll get better STR scaling and do more damage.

You'll gradually get a lot more incantations, too. The basic fireball is good for getting through the early stages though, when you need a little bit more range.

In the snowy North where i just met a madman who failed miserably at convincing me to revisit the sewers. Is this cold and hostile place the path of natural progression?

Also, are those mad old finger reading cronies the only NPC's that want me to save the Erdtree? Makes me feel like i'm missing something.  

Friends wise i'm not doing too well. Rogier died. Rhea and Blaidd have long gone missing. Gideon's kid is forever sobbing in the basement. Bernahl is arguably the only 'sane' buddy i have left and he is a posterboy for depressed sociopaths.

OCD pushing for some form of completion is slowly losing to the part that just wants to finish the game (and leave some stuff for a new build/ng+). 

Got the platinum over the weekend. 
What a game. A new all-timer, somewhere in my top three favourite games of all time.

If I'm being honest it is my favourite of the From-Souls games, beating out Bloodborne as I just love the huge open world. It encapsulated the same sense of wonder that I loved in Breath of the Wild while also being a completely different game. I found it all so much more memorable that other FROM-Souls games, with the journeys to new areas having that huge "wow" sense that the original Dark Souls had, when you journeyed to the likes of Anor Londo. 

Good to see this thread so active and full of people enjoying the game and helping each other out. There was a bit of that old rllmuk spirit here that there was back in the RE4 thread days and what not. Didn't stop there being a huge amount of absolutely hilariously terrible takes, but can't win them all. 

Question, if anyone knows the answer.  Does the Mimic summon scale with me as I level up?  I got the mimic to +10 at about level 65, as I pretty much rinsed everything in the underground section and found all the ghost gloveworts I needed down there.  I'm about level 95 now.  Does the mimic take my hp, dex, int, etc. whenever he's summoned, so he'll keep getting stronger as I level up, or is his strength solely determined by his upgrade level?

My mimic seems to be a bit of a beast when it comes to him taking punishment but his hits are much less impactful compared to mine. Saying that he must scale to level a bit because he's in the fray against some heavy shit and is taking ok chunks off them. Might be down to him being spirit tuned to the max but deffo think a little scaling with my character comes into play. Probably?

I wouldn't like to say what level I am, but lets just say it would be a decent weekly wage in some countries, probably not too bad for here if it wasn't for tory fuckery.

18 hours ago, Matt Defis said:

I was around level 150 when I finished it with a high Faith build using the Blasphemous blade which made it pretty trivial towards the end, did the last boss second time and Melanie first time, I was just burning through the bosses at the end, Godskin Duo took me around 40 seconds. 

Interested to hear what your final Faith stat was at? I'm at around 40 Faith and struggling to do enough damage to the end bosses even with Faith A and S scaling weapons.

3 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

Interested to hear what your final Faith stat was at? I'm at around 40 Faith and struggling to do enough damage to the end bosses even with Faith A and S scaling weapons.

What weapon(s) are you using?

Also what talismans are equipped?

Are the standard buffs being applied? Golden Vow/ Flame grant me strength etc

28 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

My understanding is that high faith is considered to be 60+. 40 is likely too low to be doing much on the scaling front.

2 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

I can check later but it was around 80 I believe with talismans and buffs applied. 

2 hours ago, viewtiful jim said:

What weapon(s) are you using?

Also what talismans are equipped?

Are the standard buffs being applied? Golden Vow/ Flame grant me strength etc

Tree Spear / Winged Scythe.

Not currently using any damage buffs although I have access to them. I'm not using any damage stat buff talismans either but I have ones I can use if I need to. I haven't found damage buffs to be that worth the effort so far.

I kicked most things ass with a faith build near end game. I had 25 Str, 18 Dex, 50 faith, 50 arcane, 20 endurance, 30 vigor, and 25 mind.

Used primarily the blasphemous blade or magma wyrm blade, with a Black Knife, Rivers of Blood as back up. Most of the buffs increase damage significantly as do some of the better talismans.

I’m level 157 and don’t want it to end. Stuff in the 

Spoiler

Haligtree

Was still kicking my arse till I got the veterans armour couple with my blasphemous blade.

Spoiler

Miquella

Went down easy to me and my mimic. Going back to clear the sewers; lost 170,000 runes there :)

Just finished Elden Ring last night. Absolutely fantastic and a clear GOTY. Fantastic. 

It’s not the best From game mechanically, but a huge leap in world building. I think overall the summon ashes are a step backwards as they aid the player by adding chaos so it’s harder for the player to learn the fundamentals - but what a staggering achievement.  

Stunningly good. 10/10.