Elden Ring - chortlesome japes

Broker

40 minutes ago, Minion said:

I think Malenia is 3 dude! At least that’s what I remember from watching a rl1 fight against her. 

Ha, damn. I guess it's because behind the scenes parries cause posture damage just like all attacks do. Just depends how big the enemy's posture bar is.. It makes sense to me, but I empathise with it feeling wrong too

1 minute ago, robdood said:

Ha, damn. I guess it's because behind the scenes parries cause posture damage just like all attacks do. Just depends how big the enemy's posture bar is.. It makes sense to me, but I empathise with it feeling wrong too

Good to know most are 1 though thanks, will have to try out some parrying, completely ignored it so far.

I became really fond of my stupidly over levelled basic claws - but fancy doing something different. Mainly because I never used any ashes, since the quick dodge was just toooo handy with those weapons.

I've got rivers of blood and moonveil now.  I've heard they're a good combo to double hand.  What ashes do folks recommend?

11 minutes ago, scottcr said:

I became really fond of my stupidly over levelled basic claws - but fancy doing something different. Mainly because I never used any ashes, since the quick dodge was just toooo handy with those weapons.

I've got rivers of blood and moonveil now.  I've heard they're a good combo to double hand.  What ashes do folks recommend?

Ashes of War? For those two weapons, absolutely the default ones they come with! 

That would mean I'd recomend the "No Skill" Ash of War and stick it on a shield, so you can use the L2 move for either of those weapons while using a shield. 
Rivers of Blood's Corpse Piler is one of the best. 

2 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Ashes of War? For those two weapons, absolutely the default ones they come with! 

That would mean I'd recomend the "No Skill" Ash of War and stick it on a shield, so you can use the L2 move for either of those weapons while using a shield. 
Rivers of Blood's Corpse Piler is one of the best. 

cool - so *that's* what the no skill one does.  Ta!

I was doing the dung quest line thing.

Found the sewers and then found dung man, beat dung man in phantom form, went back to see dung man in the sewer and thought I’d have a rest, put the controller on my pillow and it triggered an attack and killed him.

So I broke my golden rule and looked it up to see what I missed and apparently it’s an alternate ending. Oops 

19 minutes ago, scottcr said:

Frost stomp!!!

1 minute ago, Harrisown said:

I was doing the dung quest line thing.

Found the sewers and then found dung man, beat dung man in phantom form, went back to see dung man in the sewer and thought I’d have a rest, put the controller on my pillow and it triggered an attack and killed him.

So I broke my golden rule and looked it up to see what I missed and apparently it’s an alternate ending. Oops 

I killed Dung Man because he was just standing in the sewers not doing anything but saying nasty things...

Lionsclaw is currently my favourite ash of war. It's so satisfying putting it on a big weapon and then pancaking a crucible knight into the ground twice and walking away untouched after having been bullied by them in the past.

I've got a massive big swingy club which I love - but it's standard power is firing magic missiles which is *really* handy.  So I haven't put any ashes on it.

You won't be able to change the weapon skills on unique weapons such as Rivers of Blood or Moonveil, their unique skills is what makes them special.

1 hour ago, Minion said:

You won't be able to change the weapon skills on unique weapons such as Rivers of Blood or Moonveil, their unique skills is what makes them special.

I might have to check other weapons out , ultimately I think one of the faults of the game is that you have your weapon or weapon type and then Just go crazy and upgrade it 10 times to the point that you pick up something else and it’s shit. I do use the claw tooth thing from the boss in that place around that part just up a bit from the bottom and it’s stupidly powerful, I did Margot on about 23 seconds….oops

13 minutes ago, scottcr said:

Is there a quick way to Foreskin Duo from the grace. Having to jump and fight all those knights is just a pain in the arse.

From memory there is an alternative grace point somewhere round the other side, no idea how to get there anymore tho, I probably followed a guide

1 hour ago, Harrisown said:

I might have to check other weapons out , ultimately I think one of the faults of the game is that you have your weapon or weapon type and then Just go crazy and upgrade it 10 times to the point that you pick up something else and it’s shit. I do use the claw tooth thing from the boss in that place around that part just up a bit from the bottom and it’s stupidly powerful, I did Margot on about 23 seconds….oops

This “fault” is literally what makes every souls game so fun and varied in repeat play throughs, build variance.

Everything is viable in these games, you can level up any weapon that takes your fancy and beat the game. Nothing is outright superseded and it’s completely deliberate. 

People claiming games have “flaws” is one of my biggest bug-bearers. 

1 hour ago, Kevvy Metal said:

This “fault” is literally what makes every souls game so fun and varied in repeat play throughs, build variance.

Everything is viable in these games, you can level up any weapon that takes your fancy and beat the game. Nothing is outright superseded and it’s completely deliberate. 

People claiming games have “flaws” is one of my biggest bug-bearers. 

The biggest flaw is the god awful item and equipment comparison.

Went back tonight and beat that fat fucker the Godskin Noble on the Liurnia Tower Bridge. He's not even a boss, but the enemy I've had the most trouble with so far.  I'd already ran past him, but needed to beat him for my sanity.  38 attempts in total it took me.  I'm going to enjoy wearing his skin.

Just used the second lift thing to the giants thing place. 195 hours on the clock. This might be the biggest game I’ve ever played.

Whats strange is that I’ve been playing it every day for multiple hours for like a month now when normally I would have maybe done 40 odd hours and had enough

On 03/05/2022 at 10:47, Ste Pickford said:

A couple more Elden Ring journal pages.  I spent a bit longer than I intended sketching the first view of Siofra River this morning, but it was worth it for such a magical moment.

Hide contents

I think I stole the 'longest elevator ride in video game history' line from someone in this thread, so thanks / apologies to whoever that was.

You are going to be getting this this turned into a book and posters and stuff, right? Cos you’d be mad not to. 

I can't understand how, after finishing the main story and many side quests, the most stressful situation I've found myself facing in the whole game has been dropping down onto those slabs in the Cathedral of the Forsaken.

3 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

You are going to be getting this this turned into a book and posters and stuff, right? Cos you’d be mad not to. 

I don't want to make plans for anything like that in case I don't finish it.  And I don't want to turn it into work. It's just fun for me at the moment.

Levelled up rivers of blood quite a bit and Moonveil as high as I could, missing my super fast dodge from the claws so I end up fat rolling and I don't have enough FP to take the piss with it's power.

Cleared Castle Sol, the nearby Death Rite Bird, and the Fire Giant all without dying last night, although the dragon on the frozen lake did gank me a couple of times with Frostbite. Also that area around the Fire Giant with all the trolls and birds and hands is just one big nope.

Sad that I'm getting towards the end now. 

Finished.

155 hours. Level 175. 6 weeks of my life, pretty much obsessed with this game, now over.

I do think it was time to say goodbye in all fairness. My favourite part of the experience was definitely the first 60 or so hours. The sense of wonder and awe and adventure of Limgrave, Stormveil and the Lake gave way to a slight sense of repetition towards the end with yet another catacombs or cave and some truly fucking annoying bosses. Despite the standard FromSoft genius level design of the later areas like Haligtree and Farum Azula, the cranking up enemy toughness started to tire me out and felt like I rushed them a little bit. 

That's my only complaint though. This is a quite staggering achievement in games, in entertainment and in art. Will stay with me for quite some time and will easily be GotY and sits in my top 5 of all time.

Maybe I'll potter about for a bit one-twatting everything, I've got a few markers to investigate that I put down weeks ago, a couple of great runes I haven't activated and will try some of the boos weapons. I will likely put off an NG+ until the DLC appears and just go play something bright, breezy and easy. 

12 hours ago, Harrisown said:

The biggest flaw is the god awful item and equipment comparison.

That is an annoyance but I'd say the biggest flaw is how easy it is to utterly lose track of where/ what to do next and that there is often nowhere 'in game' to look to get you back on.  It's bad with the main quests but even worse with the side quests.

2 hours ago, StumpyJohn said:

That is an annoyance but I'd say the biggest flaw is how easy it is to utterly lose track of where/ what to do next and that there is often nowhere 'in game' to look to get you back on.  It's bad with the main quests but even worse with the side quests.

I do wonder when Boc will become useful, not seen him for about 30 hours

The Sites of Grace do have dirty great arrows pointing at where to go. It's trying to subtly push you into exploring on your own without literally telling you where to go. Do you go on holiday with a guidebook that you plan a route from, or do you like to explore? Elden Ring is made with a very specific mindset in that sense. 

5 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

I do wonder when Boc will become useful, not seen him for about 30 hours

As far as I can tell he's not useful at all as you can just alter clothes yourself at an site of grace and the cost is trivial.

Mine has been fixed at what I assume is his final location for a long time now. At:

Spoiler

East Capital Ramparts

7 minutes ago, StumpyJohn said:

As far as I can tell he's not useful at all as you can just alter clothes yourself at an site of grace and the cost is trivial.

Mine has been fixed at what I assume is his final location for a long time now. At:

Hide contents

East Capital Ramparts

Yeah he was there and I gave him something to respec himself