Jump to content
IGNORED

Elden Ring - chortlesome japes


Broker
 Share

Recommended Posts

When summoning, can you just sit back and let the other player do all the work? Even if you TRY, in my case what would happen is that the other player does 90% of the work. Then I'll feel self defeated at the end.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Capwn said:

When summoning, can you just sit back and let the other player do all the work? Even if you TRY, in my case what would happen is that the other player does 90% of the work. Then I'll feel self defeated at the end.

I don't know, sometimes you do get someone come in and absolutely smash through the boss, but when going through Dark Souls 2 (my first souls like) for the first time I had some absolutely epic moments battling against bastards with people. Two of us going up against a big bastard together, sometimes just pulling through by the skin of our teeth. Having a little bow and off they pop. The git gud brigade have really soured what was a really key part of my first run through this series. 

 

Also, being summoned is great fun! Even if you're a beginner! It's a really good way of learning bosses and working out how other people tackle them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

Also, being summoned is great fun! Even if you're a beginner! It's a really good way of learning bosses and working out how other people tackle them. 

Exactly! I always do this with difficult bosses, you get to help people, have fun and gain experience. And then try to kill the boss solo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One of the key benefits of summoning isn’t just having an experienced ally smash through an encounter - it also provides another target, or distraction, for the enemy. So it kind of lets you “join in” safely if you want to, and you still get some satisfaction from it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I thought it was the case that the bosses aren't exactly the same when you summon - e.g. they get more health - so it's not usually a complete walkover. As Qazimod says, it can certainly alter the dynamics of the fight, but that's likely to be a good thing if you're finding it impossible.

 

I tend to find the challenge enjoyable personally, even in the rare cases where it takes tens of attempts, but if that's not the case for you then just use the summoning system - that's literally why it's there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, robdood said:

Play the PS4 version on PS5, according to Digital Foundry after testing the network test. 😬

 

I mean, that's one way I guess, but I'd rather have the option of playing the PS5 version with a consistent frame rate, even if that means 30fps.

 

I don't hold out much hope though, given that Dark Souls 3 (on PS4 Pro), and Sekiro (on Pro and OneX) both had unlocked frame rates.

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve never summoned in any From game. Not cus I’m some hardcore, git gud scrubs wannabe, but because I genuinely forget it’s a thing I can do! In Dark Souls, for example, I spent maybe 95% of the game in my undead form where you can’t summon, so I never even saw the little pop up jobbies. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just realised I won't be summoning anyway because it'll be PS+ only right? I played Bloodborne entirely offline. Dark Souls 1+2 allowed online without. So did Death Stranding, which would fall down somewhat without it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There's a new system...

Spoiler

Spirit summons. Sorta like Pokémon or enemy skill materia, I think. You cast a spell and send out a bunch of enemies as your comrades. You can level them up too. Some of them were in the network test. It sounds pretty interesting.

 

There could well be traditional NPC characters that you summon as well. Quite probable.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Capwn said:

When summoning, can you just sit back and let the other player do all the work? Even if you TRY, in my case what would happen is that the other player does 90% of the work. Then I'll feel self defeated at the end.

Don't forget that you can also be the person who is summoned and help out other players who are struggling. You also get souls and humanity for doing this. It's not cheating if it's a built in mechanic of the game being used for exactly what it was designed for

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Capwn said:

When summoning, can you just sit back and let the other player do all the work? Even if you TRY, in my case what would happen is that the other player does 90% of the work. Then I'll feel self defeated at the end.

 

This pales in comparison to the shame of giving up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Hawklord said:

Don't forget that you can also be the person who is summoned and help out other players who are struggling. You also get souls and humanity for doing this. It's not cheating if it's a built in mechanic of the game being used for exactly what it was designed for

 

Also worth noting that this is quite a good alternate way of getting some practise in on the boss yourself. Since they won't always be concentrating on you, you have more opportunity to observe what's going on and make use of that knowledge in some more solo attempts.

 

Obviously don't get yourself summoned and stand there just watching though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Doctor Shark said:

I’ve never summoned in any From game. Not cus I’m some hardcore, git gud scrubs wannabe, but because I genuinely forget it’s a thing I can do! In Dark Souls, for example, I spent maybe 95% of the game in my undead form where you can’t summon, so I never even saw the little pop up jobbies. 


I’m the same. Died so much and burned through my humanity I just decided to stay hollow for the duration - and when I did restore my humanity I’d just get invaded and lose it again. It all seemed like such a waste of time, so I didn’t even know you needed to restore your humanity to summon/be summoned. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Popo said:


I’m the same. Died so much and burned through my humanity I just decided to stay hollow for the duration - and when I did restore my humanity I’d just get invaded and lose it again. It all seemed like such a waste of time, so I didn’t even know you needed to restore your humanity to summon/be summoned. 

 

You don't need to restore humanity to be summoned, only to summon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SharkyOB said:

 

You don't need to restore humanity to be summoned, only to summon.


Eugh, I knew the moment I said that without being 100% it would turn out to be wrong! And yet I’ve never been summoned. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Popo said:


Eugh, I knew the moment I said that without being 100% it would turn out to be wrong! And yet I’ve never been summoned. 

 

You have to leave a chalk mark on the floor in order to be summoned.  And not leave the area either.  So it will never happen without you wanting it to.

 

If I recall correctly, it was also a way to get free humanity.  You can leave your chalk mark when hollow, get summoned to help with a boss, and if you defeat it you are human when you return to your world.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dave White said:

still managed to not watch any vids of this to go in totally cold...

 

 

All I've seen of it is the (amazing) trailer and the odd comment in here but I don't dip in too much since the network test as I want to be as cold as possible. I've not even read that Edge interview yeT.

 

Cannot wait.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Popo said:


Eugh, I knew the moment I said that without being 100% it would turn out to be wrong! And yet I’ve never been summoned. 

 

2 hours ago, Ste Pickford said:

 

You have to leave a chalk mark on the floor in order to be summoned.  And not leave the area either.  So it will never happen without you wanting it to.

 

If I recall correctly, it was also a way to get free humanity.  You can leave your chalk mark when hollow, get summoned to help with a boss, and if you defeat it you are human when you return to your world.

FWIW I'm not 100% on the specifics, but for ER they've said they're trying to make the barriers to coop as low as possible, so it should be looooooads more straightforward this time around!  (Bloodborne still has the best summoning system of their games imo)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Very much looking forward to summoning half the forum to “help”* me beat some of the bosses

 

*basically carry me

 

I am actually getting g quite exited to play this now :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.