IGNORED

Elden Ring - chortlesome japes

Broker

6 minutes ago, Parappa said:

What's the suggested level for the Capital? I seem to have been to most places and I felt over levelled (level 90) for Altus but I am getting my ass handed to me in the Capital. 

Those Knights with lightning swords are very tough! 

I have my starting sword at +14 but perhaps I need to look at different options. 

I went in at 90 and it felt ok. Those knights are annoying but just don't aggro more than one and they're fine.

On 29/04/2022 at 01:18, Harrisown said:

I loaded up Bloodborne earlier. You know it looks almost identical in terms of technology, I prefer the Victorian style though and it still looks beautifully dark.

I don’t want a remake but a patch would be good enough for PS5.

It’s just weird how I loaded up Elden Ring and thought “well it doesn’t look very good” but then you stare at it for 160 hours and your seduced by it’s grainy dimmed appearance.

It's totally beautiful. What TV are you playing it on?

Just now, Benny said:

Can't be an OLED or he'd have said.

Yeah exactly. I think the best way to see it on Xbox Series is to turn off Dolby Vision and then set your TV to dynamic tone mapping in HDr10. After calibrating your Xbox output in HGIG mode. 

It doesn't seem to have been optimised for HDR or Dolby Vision, so allowing the TV to tone map means you get beautiful bright areas and the indoor sections aren't crushed or too light. 

3 minutes ago, Benny said:

I just played on a PC hooked up to my living room TV via HDMI, so it's standard RGB colour gamut which is pretty much perfect.

Yeah. I I've but tried it on SDR but I'm sure it looks wonderful too. 

@Harrisown you can increase the saturation in the video settings. 

2 hours ago, Ste Pickford said:

Not played for a few days but had a few hours last night and spent it in Shaded Castle which was a nice mini-dungeon.  I'm level 70 or so now, and maybe a bit over-levelled as I cleared the place fairly easily, although got stuck near the end (before a boss, I imagine) with one of those rot knights and a couple of dogs that I couldn't split.  Went to bed scheming of ways to kill the dogs without aggroing the knight.

I'm on 139 hours played now.  I feel like I'm only about half way!

I'm going to be on this game all year.

Think I cleared that area last night. Really enjoyed it.

I backstabbed the clean rot Knight and ran away. Repeat for glory..... :lol:

Boss was a close one but managed with a sliver of health. Lvl 70 faith build. Anybody know if the Halo scythe is a drop from these Knights or is there another way of attaining it? 

Question regarding the area:

West of the shaded castle there's a bit with an aggressive npc and a Giant and at the end of the cliff a lot of messages telling me to jump down. It looked like i could but i wasn't in the mood for fancy platforming. Should i try it? 

Loving the Winged Scythe on this build btw, the L2 is a life saver in so many situations. 

3 minutes ago, Sun Tze said:

Think I cleared that area last night. Really enjoyed it.

I backstabbed the clean rot Knight and ran away. Repeat for glory..... :lol:

Boss was a close one but managed with a sliver of health. Lvl 70 faith build. Anybody know if the Halo scythe is a drop from these Knights or is there another way of attaining it? 

Question regarding the area:

West of the shaded castle there's a bit with an aggressive npc and a Giant and at the end of the cliff a lot of messages telling me to jump down. It looked like i could but i wasn't in the mood for fancy platforming. Should i try it? 

Loving the Winged Scythe on this build btw, the L2 is a life saver in so many situations. 

I also did that area last night. The knight gave me some grief, more so than the boss to be honest. I found just going in aggressively worked for me in the end, the moonveil special takes them out in two hits with the way I'm spec'd. 

I found that area too with messages and a load of bloodstains, so decided not to jump. Would be interesting to know if you can get down. 

56 minutes ago, Sun Tze said:

Anybody know if the Halo scythe is a drop from these Knights or is there another way of attaining it? 

I farmed for the halo scythe the other day, you need to do it in caelid in the swamp. If you have the heart of aeonia grace and go directly south there are two halo scythe weilding rot knights, kill them then rest at grace, rinse and repeat, it took me 15 minutes to get 2. There are other rot knights that come out of the swamp itself, they don't have the scythe so ignore them.

6 hours ago, Triple A said:

How did you one-shot Mohg?!

One of those Shinkuu-Hadoken sorceries?

4 hours ago, PeteJ said:

I suspect one-shot means first time rather than one hit ...though I could be wrong!

Yeah, sorry, I meant a first go success rather than single hit destruction! He's just the right kind of enemy for my build (dual-wielding whips, so dodge-based defence and good range and blood damage output on my attacks). There was a brief terror when he did some sort of triple-bleed thing to me, but managed to heal up in time. I guess that's what the blood curse cure I never used would have been for?

Same sort of deal with Maliketh's first form really: he's all big, telegraphed attacks and relatively low agility, so easy to roll through and punish. But as soon as he's in his second form there's just no let up, and like as not he leaps away as soon as his combos are over :/ Not a big fan of his massive blade flurry ender either, particularly after the go where I managed to put a pillar between us and it still hit :(

I either need to learn his patterns better, or try a different approach. I'd be tempted to try an actual [weapon] and board approach for poking against him, but I have to assume his max-health-reducing attacks wouldn't be much fazed by a shield anyway? 

2 hours ago, Lovelyman said:

It's totally beautiful. What TV are you playing it on?

One of these

https://www.techradar.com/uk/reviews/samsung-q85r-4k-hdr-qled-tv

It's an excellent TV all round. In fact the year or two after they were released (2019) the TVs got quite a bit worse from a tech perspective with less peak brightness and other features.

In the run up to Elden Ring coming out I was playing things Like Demon's Souls and other stuff I can't even remember now because it seems so long ago. Elden Ring at first glance just looked like Dark Souls 3. On a technical level there was pop in, obvious hitches in the streaming in of assets, the annoying frame rate glitch, lack of shadows etc etc.Also games with real time day night cycles often have periods where the lighting just looks a bit shit. In many ways it was a step back from what I'd seen before (really no shadows on torches? that's just weird.) but it is a beautiful game I will admit. We all know the moments when you go round a corner and see something spectacular, that's what these games are all about. The physics on cloth are excellent too. The art is is doing the heavy lifting while the rendering engine is just about managing to keep it somewhat together.

Loading up Bloodborne again I was surprised to see it looked basically identical to Elden Ring from a technical perspective. Just the frame rate and resolution lets it down. I do prefer the art direction of Bloodborne. The character designs with their long arms and legs look very stylish.

I guess don't play Demon's Souls before Elden Ring?

I loaded Demon's up to see what the wow factor would be like and it's on another level with the biggest difference being the fluidity and input response.

Not really played a souls game before but after beating redahn last night I think I am officially in the club of souls! 

I feel bad for those not strong/smart enough to play these games, they are missing out. I didn’t realize this until recently but non souls games are like children’s games aren't they? Telling you what to do.

With souls games you have to study and invest time, it’s bloody and messy but if you’re mentally tough and get through it you come to realize that all other games are fake toys.

Souls games are the real deal, if you’re not playing souls games than you are not experiencing the true potential of this medium. These games show who the real gamers are don’t they?

1 hour ago, Capwn said:

Arrrrgh I just lost 20,000 runes, fuck this game I hate it. It’s the worst designed game ever.

wolf-of-wall-street-rookie-numbers.gif

:P

i managed to lose 230,000...to a giant enemy crab 😂

On 22/04/2022 at 12:41, DeciderVT said:

Can't get past Commander Niall at the moment. His Banished Knight summons are bad enough but he just makes mincemeat of my summon and I when they've been dispatched. I've used all of those little branches to turn them against him as well but he kills them more or less instantly. Think I'm going to have to put this down for a couple of days and enjoy the rest of my holiday from work instead.

Revenge is sweet.

niall-is-deaaaad.png.5c43706a212646fb4b942ba02d9ba6c7.png

Bloody hell, crazy glitch right now... 

End boss of CFA spoilers:

Spoiler

I had summoned for some help with Maliketh on NG+. All three of us walked through the mist gate when his beast clergy form... just died. Immediately. The transformation cutscene triggered as soon as I'd gone through the gate. What followed was a full health bar battle with Maliketh straight off the bat. Absolutely mad. 

Still managed to beat him tho. 😎

Why are there so many people queuing at Malenia and then gesturing or spamming prattles in the middle of the arena until they die? Takes about 20 minutes to get two people in there, and 20 seconds to die. 

13 minutes ago, Moz said:

Why are there so many people queuing at Malenia and then gesturing or spamming prattles in the middle of the arena until they die? Takes about 20 minutes to get two people in there, and 20 seconds to die. 

You're waiting at the fog door for 20 minutes? I honestly can't imagine doing that. Why not just practice the boss and learn her patterns for yourself? Surely that would be more fun and rewarding than waiting for other people to join in and then crapping out on you? Malenia is a tough fight but entirely doable. Great fight once you're familiar with her moves.

Yeah, the entire route to it was kind of a joke area so I figured it would be a joke boss. All Froms worst impulses laid bare in sequence, pretty much. Looked nice though. 

Current mood: slightly miffed: 

Spoiler

322026714_551bdd70-6f30-459f-b49b-9e8692c7bdf4(1)_copy_1536x864.thumb.png.bc0c00c3c52c241bd7bc10992a94150b.png1892068433_ee8a4b01-d6e9-4843-98e4-d1064391ab30(1)_copy_1536x864.thumb.png.8f2a87c1aa0e26129a11d41f87fa0873.png

Honestly, I think I'm happier when I'm getting trounced, rather than repeatedly choking at the end.

3 hours ago, Uncle Nasty said:

And done. Credits rolled. Lord of Frenzied Flame end game image spoiler:

Hide contents

Nc0Dgv6.jpg

Chuffed to get that ending. 255 Hours, level 180. I rinsed everything. Questlines, bosses, Ashes, Spirits. Some loose ends but I think I saw most of it. Helped out loads on bosses and did a ton of invasions.

I stand by what I said a few weeks ago - one of the single greatest entertainment experiences of my life. Up there with the very best concerts, movies, books. As significant as Elite, The Hobbit or Star Wars. A completely mesmerising journey that still felt vital and captivating right until the end. Even after 255 hours I'm ready to dive back in immediately. The first game since that gave me the same sense of wonder as the original 8-bit adventure games.

The best video game of all time and one of the greatest works I've ever experienced. An absolutely magnificent achievement. Just total love.

My choice of "official" ending and also my current wallpaper lol 👏

How in the name of hell do I get behind Volcano Manor? There's a little fort looking thing in the North West behind it and I don't seem to be able to access it from Mt Gelmir or through Volcano Manor. Any tips? 

17 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

How in the name of hell do I get behind Volcano Manor? There's a little fort looking thing in the North West behind it and I don't seem to be able to access it from Mt Gelmir or through Volcano Manor. Any tips? 

Spoiler

South-east in Mt. Gelmir at the Liurnia Altus Plateau exit with all the carriages. Just stick to the north-west route there and you'll find a valley you can follow towards the place.

Anyone able to stick a summons down to help me with Maliketh? At the grace would be ideal to see if we can deal with the Draconic Sentinel before him, too. Been stuck on these guys for about a week now and just want to move on to be honest.