IGNORED

Elden Ring - chortlesome japes

Broker

32 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

He's an absolute pussy-cat compared to some of the others 😆
Don't use camera lock-on, and stab his feet. 

I mean, at that point

Spoiler

he doesn't really have any feet!

Got him to his second stage on first try, then spent the next few minutes doing virtually no damage before being 1 hit KOd by him — his second stage damage resistance must be huge (which is potentially a problem when dual-wielding whips). Thought I'd call it a night after that!

31 minutes ago, Mystacon said:

What blew my mind, and I’m sure it’s probably already been mentioned…

Hide contents

…is that all those random chunks of architecture littered around the landscape are pieces of Farum Azula that have fallen from the sky. Amazing!

Ohhhh shit yes of course!

8 minutes ago, JPL said:

Oh, aren’t they called ruin fragments or something?

8 minutes ago, robdood said:

I think those are ruin fragments, aren't they? Pretty sure they still have THE LORE tho :)

Oh yeah, that's what I meant. Although Sanctuary Stones are linked to CFA and the ruins as well.

Ruin Fragment description:

Stone fragment found near places where ruins have fallen from the sky.
Can be used for crafting, or simply for throwing at enemies.
These shards of stone are believed to have once been part of a temple in the sky.
They glow with a faint light from within.

1 hour ago, Kevvy Metal said:

He's an absolute pussy-cat compared to some of the others 😆
Don't use camera lock-on, and stab his feet. 

yeah - that's pretty much what I was doing.. then he goes into phase 2 and you're chucked miles away with unavoidable fire.  I got on much better by having my flask ready at that point and got torn into his feet again.  Got him down to one bit  of health and got twatted.  again.

Big bosses are impressive looking - but it's all wasted when you beat them by just running up and slashing away at their feet.  See also the big serpent guy in the manor.  I had no idea what was happening... I was just watching the health bar.  

Seems like a bit of waste.

Just now, scottcr said:

yeah - that's pretty much what I was doing.. then he goes into phase 2 and you're chucked miles away with unavoidable fire.  I got on much better by having my flask ready at that point and got torn into his feet again.  Got him down to one bit  of health and got twatted.  again.

Big bosses are impressive looking - but it's all wasted when you beat them by just running up and slashing away at their feet.  See also the big serpent guy in the manor.  I had no idea what was happening... I was just watching the health bar.  

Seems like a bit of waste.

Have you played any of the Souls games before? I don't really understand why you're letting every aspect of the game rub you up the wrong way. 

Did you actually kill the Serpent dude in the Manor?

1 minute ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Have you played any of the Souls games before? I don't really understand why you're letting every aspect of the game rub you up the wrong way. 

Did you actually kill the Serpent dude in the Manor?

Played Dark Souls a lot.  Some of the bosses in that were bullshit too - and the last bits of the game aren't as good.  But the game is tighter, shorter and more focussed so I didn't get so wound up.  I'm over 100 hours into this now and it's starting to grind me down - but, finding new areas to explore and twatting normal strength dudes is still excellent funs.  I generally don't really enjoy bosses in most games tbh - the ashes are a great addition to this, although my +12 mimic still seems to have problems.

Yeah, properly defeated Rykard.  

On 20/04/2022 at 08:57, Uncle Nasty said:

Haligtree and Crumbling Farum Azula are masterclasses of level design. So creative and unexpected. The arrangement of the paths and walkways, the way they don't feel like actual game levels with obvious platforms makes it feel like you're trespassing and interfering in sacred places. I felt terrible for killing some of the "enemies" in this game. 

I laugh now when I think about how I played this when I was just starting out - running around slaughtering all the sheep and little squirrel things because I just assumed anything that moved was an enemy like in every other From game ever. Then the red mist eventually cleared from my eyes and it clicked that none of the beasts were actually attacking me or even defending themselves.

Now I feel a bit bad about a lot of the things I am killing, even things like dragons and trolls which are basically just sitting there minding their own business until you run up and start hacking at them. But I need their drops so...

Wait, what? Is this real?

Apparently there's a secret path from Subterranean Shunning Grounds to Deepwood Depths:

Does anyone have access to the area to check? I'd check myself but none of my saves have access at the moment.

My instinct is to believe it because it makes sense, but you never know with YouTube, could just be someone dicking around with mods.

Edit: why can't I get the bloody video to embed?

Edited by Kryptonian
embedded video

3 minutes ago, dug said:

Wait, what? Is this real?

Apparently there's a secret path from Subterranean Shunning Grounds to Deepwood Depths:

https://youtu.be/jFHaWEiNckU

Does anyone have access to the area to check? I'd check myself but none of my saves have access at the moment.

My instinct is to believe it because it makes sense, but you never know with YouTube, could just be someone dicking around with mods.

Why would that be fake? It makes complete sense.

2 minutes ago, Lovelyman said:

Why would that be fake? It makes complete sense.

It does make sense, but if it's real how come no one has found it until now?

12 minutes ago, dug said:

It does make sense, but if it's real how come no one has found it until now?

Ehr...

I stumbled across that a few weeks ago? It's hardly rocket science and feels pretty natural all things considered.

1 hour ago, Alask said:

I mean, nobody finding it and nobody youtubing it are different things. It's real enough though, just went and rolled through the wall myself.

1 hour ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Ehr...

I stumbled across that a few weeks ago? It's hardly rocket science and feels pretty natural all things considered.

57 minutes ago, Stoikovich said:

I was online at that stage, and the floor round there was covered in messages!  Hard to miss

57 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

I found it weeks ago ... Have posted about it in here a few times too.

12 minutes ago, Hawklord said:

Raises hand, also found it

Haha, ok. Fair enough.

I'd managed to miss it, so it seemed mindblowingly new to me.

2 hours ago, metallicfrodo said:

Defeated the final boss this morning (I won't say completed the game as there are still obviously loads of things I didn't do). Had 109 hours on the clock and was level 155. I'd personally rate it excpetional/10. It's not my favourite game as I've had more enjoyment from others, because I just found it punishing a lot of the time, however it's certainly one of the greatest games ever made. Not only that, but the artistry in the environments and creatures is just on another level.

I've tried the original Dark Souls on a few occasions to try and get into it, but just found it far far too difficult for me to get any enjoyment from, and obviously you can easily end up hitting a complete road block at a boss, as such I've never tried any of the other Souls games. Elden Ring obviously neatly avoids that (to some extent) by offering you so many things to go and do.

I will admit to nearly giving up on it at one point, I was just finding it too oppressive, going through destroyed villages with bodies hanging from posts etc, having come from reading about the war in the Ukraine felt really wrong somehow. I left it for a few days but it drew me back in again, and moving onto other areas it felt a bit less oppressive.

Having said that I wouldn't have finished it were it not for three things, youtube, wiki and the rune farms. I'm happy to admit that I'm not the greatest at these games so the punishing nature of the combat added to the fact that you can lose all your precious leveling up runes to a group of rats hidden round a corner was not something I enjoyed. However once I was aware of the ball farm, and then the bird farm it made the game much better for me. I was able to stop worrying about losing runes (ironically meaning I tended to lose them less), and I could essentially make myself powerful enough to enable me to beat the bosses if my skills weren't good enough. The other was basically just being able to look stuff up. I know some people gain enjoyment out of discovering things for themselves but I don't personally have the time, so being able to look up the next step in a quest was a godsend. To be honest for some of the Quest steps I have no idea how you are suppose to work them out organically either.

Just working out whether to go back and beat M.... first or just go straight to NG+ now.

I would say if you’ve beaten Elden ring no dark souls boss will challenge you, not least of all because they’re much slower and, in many cases, far more simple fights (not all, but the vast majority). The only time this might change is if you go for Bloodborne (much faster, no shields, no magic) or dark souls 3, as that’s even faster paced combat that Elden ring (but not as fast as Bloodborne).  

I was pretty sure last week my time with this had come to an end for now. But I’ve done the Lyndell boss and two along the end of Ranni’s quest. And on all three I’ve had that classic ‘this is insurmountable’, ‘this is almost impossible’ and ‘oh wait maybe I can do it’ arc. 

It’s just really, really good eh?

4 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

I would say if you’ve beaten Elden ring no dark souls boss will challenge you, not least of all because they’re much slower and, in many cases, far more simple fights (not all, but the vast majority). The only time this might change is if you go for Bloodborne (much faster, no shields, no magic) or dark souls 3, as that’s even faster paced combat that Elden ring (but not as fast as Bloodborne).  

I'm not sure I'd completely agree with that. As someone who's bounced off (at various stages) every preceding Souls game, the reason I've found Elden Ring far more approachable than any other thanks to three things, really:

• no point where I felt a need to 'unnaturally' grind — i.e., if I was struggling with a boss I just went somewhere else, where every other Souls game offered far more limited opportunities/far more obvious, early bottlenecks that felt like I'd need to go back and just harvest souls in an area I've already 'beaten', which is something I've no interest in whatsoever
  • more bosses with tedious distances between spawn and boss. Not that Elden Ring is entirely without those, but they're rarer and (outwith certain optional bosses) not generally dangerous routes
  • no punishment for dying beyond losing runes. Every boss I ever struggled with in a 'normal' Souls game felt like it was double-punishing me, as I'd end up having to fight it at half health. Yay?

Even if the bosses are technically 'easier' in other Souls games, I still find the games a lot less approachable.

11 minutes ago, Wiper said:

I'm not sure I'd completely agree with that. As someone who's bounced off (at various stages) every preceding Souls game, the reason I've found Elden Ring far more approachable than any other thanks to three things, really:

• no point where I felt a need to 'unnaturally' grind — i.e., if I was struggling with a boss I just went somewhere else, where every other Souls game offered far more limited opportunities/far more obvious, early bottlenecks that felt like I'd need to go back and just harvest souls in an area I've already 'beaten', which is something I've no interest in whatsoever
  • more bosses with tedious distances between spawn and boss. Not that Elden Ring is entirely without those, but they're rarer and (outwith certain optional bosses) not generally dangerous routes
  • no punishment for dying beyond losing runes. Every boss I ever struggled with in a 'normal' Souls game felt like it was double-punishing me, as I'd end up having to fight it at half health. Yay?

Even if the bosses are technically 'easier' in other Souls games, I still find the games a lot less approachable.

- you don’t ever need to grind, it’s just something you can do to make life easier , but it is never, ever necessary 

- spawns near bosses I’ll grant you, some are proper shit but to be honest once you’ve explored everything on the way to the boss, you can just run past everything to get straight back to the boss

- there’s no punishment for dying in dark souls 1, 3, Sekiro or Bloodborne other than losing your souls. The half health mechanic is only in demon’s souls and dark souls 2 (and easily mitigated in both via rings, if it really bothers you) 

6 minutes ago, Wiper said:

I’ve beaten every Souls game (bar Sekiro) and never once have I had to grind. You just have to know when to bank your souls into another level. 

…also Demon’s Souls is the only game that put you at half health in Soul form.