IGNORED

Elden Ring - chortlesome japes

Broker

49 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

I don’t understand how you’re only level 51 after 115 hours…have you not been levelling up???

I have been more so lately because Caelid is such a chore but I'm aware of making the game meaningless

I've gone back to places I've written off only to find much more. Exploration is this games strongest point and really we are in times where games this good don't come around more than 3-4 times a decade.

8 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

I have been more so lately because Caelid is such a chore but I'm aware of making the game meaningless

I've gone back to places I've written off only to find much more. Exploration is this games strongest point and really we are in times where games this good don't come around more than 3-4 times a decade.

I understand that but I would say the game won’t get easy and certainly never meaningless at any level you can reasonably get to in your first playthrough - especially the last handful of bosses who won’t care what level you are as they stomp you into the ground! 

49 minutes ago, Minion said:

You're doing well for being so low level, you should be in the 80's / 90's by the time you get to the capital, Draconic Tree Sentinel is intentionally hard to show you that beyond him you;re going to get slapped. You must be able to go elsewhere and level. Have you fully explored Altus? Or Mt Gelmir which is probably better to do before the Capital? Whatever you do get that Vigor up! Don't be scared to use Rune Arcs with Godrick's rune it's like 25 extra levels! You can farm them by helping people with bosses, at your level and weapon level you will have a lot of options with bosses all over the lakes, Caelid, Mt Gelmir and Altus so should get summoned fairly easily.

Mt Gilmir that thing on the top ,nope. I have a feeling that I need to fully explore . Not even bumped into crucible Knight that everyone says is a pain. Think I will have a proper look in Caelid have beaten the boss on the tiny horse but not really had a good look. 

I remember a place with 3 summons in front of a big pot not done that.  Found a prosthetic arm but have no clue who to give it too as the quests are not like a Ubisoft game. Got a few dungeons that I have not done .

So will have a ride about and see what I bump into and level up some more.

Epic sesh last night - Malenia down, then ulcerated tree spirit and Millicent's sisters down so that's Millie's quest done with - then cleared up the last few stages of grape lady's quest (dark...) And what I think is the last catacomb I hadn't cleared yet (one to the far west of Liurnia that I only just found). Then managed to finish (I think) the quest around the woman I met right at the beginning who asked me to deliver a letter to her father. Just getting myself ready for a proper assault on Crumbling FA, really, and the inevitable end...

1 hour ago, Stoikovich said:

I’ve ‘discovered’ (130 hours in) the oil wells on the map are -in fact- flagging the location of static telescopes 

You mean the massive telescopes 🥲

12 minutes ago, Lovelyman said:

You mean the massive telescopes 🥲

To be fair, their icon does look like an oil well and they are easy to miss out in the world. I’m around 70 hours in and have only just realised what they are!

Pushing through the endgame now, level 141, 228 hours. Finishing up a few quests and killing anything optional or still standing. Last few bosses have gone down pretty easily (CFA boss, couple of Ashen Capital bosses) and I've rejigged my build a bit - removed any Talismans that gave me higher stats or equip load in favour of ones that reduce physical damage or give HP back from kills. Much more interesting.

Magma Wyrm Sword, Longbow and Brass Shield have carried me through most of the game. None of the offensive Faith incantations have been very useful, they're just too weak. I've only used the healing spell for Rot/Poison regularly. The rest of them don't seem that useful. They look cool but take too long to cast and aren't very effective.

Haven't respecced once but will probably dump most of my Faith into Strength for NG+.

Couple of negatives because it's me -

I didn't really feel particularly challenged by the level design in the way that Sen's, Blighttown or Anal Rodeo had me on the cross. A couple of areas in this were annoyingly hard, you know the ones, and CFA was excellent, but I didn't think anything was as fiendishly, intricately cruel as the best areas from DS. Grace placement was extremely generous and detracted from the hands shaking, dry mouth fear of inching towards the next bonfire in DS.

No permanent status effects like being Cursed. In general I found the game lenient and not as psychotically sadistic as previous FROM titles which was a letdown.

No penalty for death. I hoped that something like World Tendency would reveal itself eventually or the community would discover it, but apart from losing your runes and progress, death was only a slight inconvenience.

Loved the Spirit Ashes and Ashes of War in concept, but there were just too many of them and no way to rank them. Once you've committed to upgrading a Spirit Ash you're very unlikely to bother with the others. Ashes of War and Greases are also useless if you're using a weapon with its own special so you end up with tons of pointless items.

Still a Crash Smash, mind.

Counterpoint: some of those edges being smoothed out have hopefully made it a more accessible game that can facilitate more people getting into From's oeuvre.

For me, I'll get the hardcore stuff by going back to Sekiro again.

The sense of discovery and wonder though, is off the charts, and that's most of what matters with ER for me.

33 minutes ago, Benny said:

Counterpoint: some of those edges being smoothed out have hopefully made it a more accessible game that can facilitate more people getting into From's oeuvre.

For me, I'll get the hardcore stuff by going back to Sekiro again.

The sense of discovery and wonder though, is off the charts, and that's most of what matters with ER for me.

Still an all time great. Just wish it had a little more bite.

Next game will hopefully figure out a way of weaving the accessibility back in with the challenge of the previous games. Even at level 140 I've been first timing the late game bosses, and I am an absolutely terrible player, especially at bosses. Godskin Duo, Hoarah Loux, all of the bosses in the last few levels were surprisingly easy. Even the Fire Giant, which I was dreading, was only a mild irritant. Compare that to DS3 or BB where I was absolutely on my knees and some of the satisfaction is missing.

I'm happy they've kept the struggle to the optional bosses, with no content locked away behind them (as far as I know). That's just a great design decision for everyone. Similarly, I loved the Haligtree and subsequent castle, but I know that if people hate it they can just bin it off.

2 hours ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Couple of negatives because it's me -

I didn't really feel particularly challenged by the level design in the way that Sen's, Blighttown or Anal Rodeo had me on the cross. A couple of areas in this were annoyingly hard, you know the ones, and CFA was excellent, but I didn't think anything was as fiendishly, intricately cruel as the best areas from DS. Grace placement was extremely generous and detracted from the hands shaking, dry mouth fear of inching towards the next bonfire in DS.

No permanent status effects like being Cursed. In general I found the game lenient and not as psychotically sadistic as previous FROM titles which was a letdown.

Yeah, this has been by far the most forgiving From game I think, esp. if you make generous use of the ashen summons.

But it didn't detract from the overall experience imo, as in the 200 hrs of play the only minor bit for me was that enchanted town, because I realized that as opposed to all the other bits I got stuck in from time to time, I simply did not have the patience to figure out the correct way to every candle without getting caught.

The easiest but also the best From game so far. Can't wait for the inevitable DLC.

Due to huge life upheaval I haven't made much progress in this recently, though did spend a few hours creeping through Haligtree this afternoon. 

Spoiler

Finally got past this initial horrible tree branch section.. Wasn't expecting big ol legacy dungeon type thing! This place is enormous! Loving it. 

4 hours ago, Uncle Nasty said:

None of the offensive Faith incantations have been very useful, they're just too weak.

I've been swapping between lightning spear, stone of gurranq and black flame as the situation needs. Lightning is the main go to but for big poisy enemies the stone works wonders and you can chain cast it and it has amazing range, well worth getting the 6 deathroots you need for it. Then for tree spirits or avatars black flame. But yeah that's pretty much it but having these offensive spells has made a lot of stuff I found incredibly hard on my first playthrough much easier, I just have more options.

I also agree about grace's being too frequent especially in the legacy dungeons. I want to find myself edging onwards in fear surviving on fumes of estus like Forbidden Woods or Grand Archives. I know it might make it more accessible but for me it seems to be evidence of the developers listening to whining people on the internet. They should stick to their guns and leave out so many checkpoints. Right before boss, sure. Right after every section of enemies, no thanks!

11 minutes ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Am I the only one who thinks Lord of Blasphemy sounds like Winston Churchill?

Well, he does try to bite you on the features.

[gets coat]

2 minutes ago, Minion said:

I've been swapping between lightning spear, stone of gurranq and black flame as the situation needs. Lightning is the main go to but for big poisy enemies the stone works wonders and you can chain cast it and it has amazing range, well worth getting the 6 deathroots you need for it. Then for tree spirits or avatars black flame. But yeah that's pretty much it but having these offensive spells has made a lot of stuff I found incredibly hard on my first playthrough much easier, I just have more options.

I also agree about grace's being too frequent especially in the legacy dungeons. I want to find myself edging onwards in fear surviving on fumes of estus like Forbidden Woods or Grand Archives. I know it might make it more accessible but for me it seems to be evidence of the developers listening to whining people on the internet. They should stick to their guns and leave out so many checkpoints. Right before boss, sure. Right after every section of enemies, no thanks!

I agree with this. Lightning Spear was my most used attack overall with my pure faith build.

9 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I agree with this. Lightning Spear was my most used attack overall with my pure faith build.

12 minutes ago, Minion said:

I've been swapping between lightning spear, stone of gurranq and black flame as the situation needs. Lightning is the main go to but for big poisy enemies the stone works wonders and you can chain cast it and it has amazing range, well worth getting the 6 deathroots you need for it.

What Seal and upgrades were you both using for casting Lightning Spear? Any additional buffs/Talismans? For range I found the bow so much more reliable and powerful than casting Lightning Spear.

My Faith is at 60 but I'm just not seeing the benefits of it. Even the late game Faith stuff is only okay. Maybe I've been spoiled by the Wyrm sword which is dealing around 1500 damage per hit.

7 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

What Seal and upgrades were you both using for casting Lightning Spear? Any additional buffs/Talismans? For range I found the bow so much more reliable and powerful than casting Lightning Spear.

My Faith is at 60 but I'm just not seeing the benefits of it. Even the late game Faith stuff is only okay. Maybe I've been spoiled by the Wyrm sword which is dealing around 1500 damage per hit.

Hmm, well I'm using the clawmark seal from Gurranq as at 106 I have 35 Str and 30 Fth and it scales with strength as well as faith, depending on resistance and weather/water I get roughly 600-800 on a strike, more if it's charged. The stone is a bit less but if you chain cast it you can stunlock and stagger enemies so it's a lot better for large enemies like gargoyles or magma wyrms or any large enemy, roughly hitting at 450-550 a hit again depending on resistances but it's all about the stagger/stunlock potential. I used a bow a lot in may first run as I had no incantations except for flame cleanse me, I've enjoyed using these spells a lot more than the bow. 

Oh I also use the two canvas flock talismans now I have 4 slots again (beat golden boy earlier).