IGNORED

Elden Ring - chortlesome japes

Broker

Got to Maliketh last night but I was dying in seconds. Gave up and went to bed. Going to clear out some Hero's Graves and Gaols tonight for the last few things I need for the Platinum before I go back to him. 

Managed to lock myself to a specific ending

Spoiler

Lord of the Frenzied Flame

So I'm probably going to save scum to get the others. I'm coming up on 180 hours and not quite ready for another play through

2 hours ago, Talvalin said:

Near the watchtower you can climb up?

In the meantime, I've found my way into Volcano Manor and debating whether to be a cad or not.

Yeah just past that there’s a cliff edge

44 minutes ago, Hawklord said:

Got to Maliketh last night but I was dying in seconds. Gave up and went to bed. Going to clear out some Hero's Graves and Gaols tonight for the last few things I need for the Platinum before I go back to him. 

Managed to lock myself to a specific ending

Reveal hidden contents

Lord of the Frenzied Flame

So I'm probably going to save scum to get the others. I'm coming up on 180 hours and not quite ready for another play through

If you're locked into that particular ending then you can't savescum to get the others, unless you get a very specific item and do something very specific with it. This will revert you to the state you were in before you got your

Spoiler

Toasty cuddle from the Three Fingers,

allowing you to savescum the other endings, but you won't be able to get back on the path to the 

Spoiler

Frenzied Flame ending a second time, meaning you'll lock yourself out of that ending.

If you're going for all the trophies in one run then you're bollocksed, I'm afraid.

Edit:

Actually, what you could do is 

Spoiler

Go offline before the final boss, kill it, get the frenzied flame ending, delete your console save data, go back online, reload your cloud save before the final boss, kill it again, and then savescum to get the final two endings, and the all the achievements.

I *think* that would work, but you're on dangerous ground of deleting your save data forever, right at the end of the game.

36 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Edit:

Hide contents

Go offline before the final boss, kill it, get the frenzied flame ending, delete your console save data, go back online, reload your cloud save before the final boss, kill it again, and then savescum to get the final two endings, and the all the achievements.

I *think* that would work, but you're on dangerous ground of deleting your save data forever, right at the end of the game.

Yeah, I got the frenzied flame first and got the plat in one playthrough. It's difficult to remove, but if he's going for the plat you gotta do most that stuff anyway.

It's easier to copy your save to a USB stick I think. 

7 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Also, before I finished the game last night I was reading a couple of mopping up guides to make sure I'd done everything I wanted to do, and there was one secret which completely passed me by. Did anyone else naturally find the secret 

Reveal hidden contents

catacombs which is in the 

Reveal hidden contents

Hidden Path to the Haligtree area - the bit with the land octopi and Vulgar Militia soldiers? You have to drop down onto an

Reveal hidden contents

entirely invisible path through a gap in the balustrade as you go up the central staircase. Eventually it brings you out into a mini catacombs dungeon, complete with a boss: another 

Reveal hidden contents

mimic tear!

Madness 😱

Completing it allowed me to get the final 

Reveal hidden contents

deathroot, however, to give to Gurranq. I was expecting he would go mad and I'd have to put him down, but he just floats away.

Incidentally, are he and 

Reveal hidden contents

Maliketh the same person, or something? Maliketh's first stage, where he's listed as just being a 'Beast Clergyman', looks very similar to Gurranq, who is also a Beast Clergyman, obviously. Maliketh also uses lots of Gurranq's beast magic, and one of the item descriptions you read says that Gurranq's original name was god-slayer, or something similar, which is fitting for Maliketh, as his blade was used to kill Godwyn.

All very interesting.

I did! It was because I saw an item down in one of the cubby holes, so I knew there must be some way down there. And after spending far too long 

Spoiler

rolling against every single bit of wall looking for illusory walls, I just jumped off the edge in desperation, and voila, invisible path. If I hadn't happened to see that item, it wouldn't have even occurred to me that you could go down there.

32 minutes ago, Stopharage said:

How does one savescum?

It's relatively easy on PS but trickier on Xbox. PlayStation you just need to back up to USB after the end boss, do one ending, delete your save and then reload it using the USB to see the other endings. On Xbox, however, you've got to fiddle about a bit with cloud saves. I used a guide for Xbox that didn't work and ended up getting locked out of being able to access the other endings.

21 minutes ago, Number 28 said:

Yeah, I got the frenzied flame first and got the plat in one playthrough. It's difficult to remove, but if he's going for the plat you gotta do most that stuff anyway.

That's true. Are you on Xbox, @Hawklord, or PS?

2 hours ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Ordina Liturgical Town puzzle, I swear these archers are harder than any boss. Just insanely annoying and hard hitting, and then that invisible fellow if you get knocked to the ground. Gnnggghhh.

There’s a way to make those swines visible…

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

If you're locked into that particular ending then you can't savescum to get the others, unless you get a very specific item and do something very specific with it. This will revert you to the state you were in before you got your

Hide contents

Toasty cuddle from the Three Fingers,

allowing you to savescum the other endings, but you won't be able to get back on the path to the 

Hide contents

Frenzied Flame ending a second time, meaning you'll lock yourself out of that ending.

If you're going for all the trophies in one run then you're bollocksed, I'm afraid.

Edit:

Hide contents

36 minutes ago, Number 28 said:

My plan is (if it works)...

Spoiler

I have the needle to reverse the fiery cuddle. Will save and backup then use the needle to reverse it after I kill the Dragon. I'll then play through to the end and do another back up to a different USB stick which I'll use for 4 of the endings (done all the pre-requisites/quests). Then I'll go back to the earlier save and replay that final section to get the LoF ending. I won't mind the replay as I've already put 170 hours in lol

13 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

That's true. Are you on Xbox, @Hawklord, or PS?

PS5

8 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Also, before I finished the game last night I was reading a couple of mopping up guides to make sure I'd done everything I wanted to do, and there was one secret which completely passed me by. Did anyone else naturally find the secret 

Reveal hidden contents

catacombs which is in the 

Reveal hidden contents

Hidden Path to the Haligtree area - the bit with the land octopi and Vulgar Militia soldiers? You have to drop down onto an

Reveal hidden contents

entirely invisible path through a gap in the balustrade as you go up the central staircase. Eventually it brings you out into a mini catacombs dungeon, complete with a boss: another 

Reveal hidden contents

mimic tear!

Madness 😱

Completing it allowed me to get the final 

Reveal hidden contents

deathroot, however, to give to Gurranq. I was expecting he would go mad and I'd have to put him down, but he just floats away.

Incidentally, are he and 

Reveal hidden contents

Maliketh the same person, or something? Maliketh's first stage, where he's listed as just being a 'Beast Clergyman', looks very similar to Gurranq, who is also a Beast Clergyman, obviously. Maliketh also uses lots of Gurranq's beast magic, and one of the item descriptions you read says that Gurranq's original name was god-slayer, or something similar, which is fitting for Maliketh, as his blade was used to kill Godwyn.

All very interesting.

I found it but not quite naturally

Spoiler

Messages floating in mid air lol. Realised it was an invisible path but haven't ventured to it yet

1 minute ago, cassidy said:

I haven't got a clue what to do there tbh and there's no enemies attacking me either. 

I know it's where I gotta be to get to Haligtree. 

If there are no enemies then it sounds like you haven’t entered the Evergaol version of the town. Look for an Imp statue. Once in you just have to light four torches. 

1 minute ago, cassidy said:

I haven't got a clue what to do there tbh and there's no enemies attacking me either. 

There's an

Spoiler

Imp statue at the back of the town that you need to interact with, but once you do you'll probably wish you hadn't...

To save scum on PS4/5 2 methods. 1. Turn off automatic cloud saves. When you have a state you want to save and restore later upload that save to the cloud in saved data settings, then when you need to restore just download it. 2. Use a USB and save the state to that then restore from the USB instead of the cloud. 

I prefer to do a combination of both when trading/moving items between characters as you can always have a backup of the backup.

9 minutes ago, Number 28 said:

@Hawklord There's no need to fight the last bosses more than once. You can do all the fiddling about for endings afterwards. Unless you really want to of course. 

Spoiler

Does that mean I can still go back to CFA to remove the Frenzy at that point? ie after I finish final boss but before I choose the ending?

54 minutes ago, cassidy said:

Look for an evergaol.

Crafting is great if you want to try certain elemental weaknesses or status ailments but you're not some sorcerer type who can just pull them out of your arse for as long as your blue flask allows. And the GD boss was made much easier when I knew about the weakness to a particular status and crafted a bunch of

Spoiler

sleep pots

Although, thinking about the save scumming mentioned earlier, I'd probably advocate keeping a backup before you spend rare materials - just in case a crafting plan isn't working out. :D 

Beyond crafting arrows occasionally, I didn't use crafting much either, mainly because desperately cycling through your equipped items when you need to heal or top up FP is already hard enough without adding pots or other crafted items into the mix.

6 minutes ago, Lovelyman said:

I don't get the save scumming. Why not just watch the other endings on YouTube once you've finished it. 

Achievements/trophies. I need that sweet, sweet 1000/1000 GS so I can screenshot it and post it in this thread. How else am I supposed to know I've achieved something otherwise?

1 hour ago, Hawklord said:

Hide contents

Does that mean I can still go back to CFA to remove the Frenzy at that point? ie after I finish final boss but before I choose the ending?

Yup! The world is still open after the boss.