Jump to content
IGNORED

Elden Ring - chortlesome japes


Broker
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, cassidy said:

Well I started the end run this morning and died twice on EB. 

 

Looks like I'm finishing my first From game.

 

And I'm already watching fighting cowboys Sekiro playthrough and tempted to get. 

 

Would it also be madness to buy the Dark Souls trilogy? 

 

I think you'll potentially find DS quite difficult to get into after playing this, if you've never played it before - no jump, no ashes, no Torrent, no stealth. You'd have an idea of how the game actually works, however, which is the biggest hurdle to new players.

 

Sekiro is a bit more flexible, in that you're a lot more mobile than in DS, and stealth is an option in a lot of cases, but the boss fights are extremely pared back and prescriptive. Getting gud is the only way through, whereas the staggering variety of options and builds available to you in ER mean that you can always try something else.

 

Maybe DS3 is the best one to check out. I'd say it's the closest to ER in terms of how it plays and the amount of options it gives you. Like Sekiro, however, some of the bosses are fucking hard, far more difficult than anything here. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Alask said:

 

Depends on where he is in terms of quest lines doesn't it? 

 

  Hide contents

If he's not progressed Goldmask/Brother Corhyn's quest line far enough won't it become impossible after CFA, locking him out of that ending? I've not tried it, so I'm guessing.. certainly the Bolt of Gransax can't be gotten after CFA though so that's worth going to grab if you've not already.

 

I have never heard of any of those people/things - and I had thought I have been fairly thorough, for a first playthrough!  I've done:

 

Spoiler

Halligtree/Brace (up to Melania)

Ranni's quest

Wolf boy's quest 

Fia's quest

Millicent's quest

Chaos Flame quest 

There's probably loads more I've missed though!

Have I missed out the chance to do 

Spoiler

Alexander's quest?

 

Think I've only run into him once, at the Radagahn tournament, but I believe there is more to him than what I saw there. Was expecting I might run into him again when I did the 3 invaders near the giant jar, but nothing much seemed to happen there, after all. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, cassidy said:

Well I started the end run this morning and died twice on EB. 

 

Looks like I'm finishing my first From game.

 

And I'm already watching fighting cowboys Sekiro playthrough and tempted to get. 

 

Would it also be madness to buy the Dark Souls trilogy? 


It would be madness not to buy the Dark Souls trilogy, they’re bloody stupendous. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, cassidy said:

Well I started the end run this morning and died twice on EB. 

 

Looks like I'm finishing my first From game.

 

And I'm already watching fighting cowboys Sekiro playthrough and tempted to get. 

 

Would it also be madness to buy the Dark Souls trilogy? 

 

If you have a PS5 go to the source and get the Demon's Souls remake.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

haha, first time fighting Margit with my magician, had him one hit from death but ran out of FP and instead of just switching to my sword and ending it I decided to roll away to chug a flask and got swatted. Instead of You Died it should just say 'asshole'

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Ste Pickford said:

 

If you have a PS5 go to the source and get the Demon's Souls remake.

Don't tempt me I've already had the thought a few times, still can't buy one looking like it does. 

 

Sekiro first then and it's currently £29 on Xbox 

 

I think I can at least try Dark Souls as well.  May as well init. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Don't forget if you equip warming stones, aromatics and healing spells, the mimic will use them. I equipped the Ironjar Aromatic last night which turned the mimic into a literal rot spewing tank which was healing me at the same time. The fun you can have with this is endless.

 

Does anyone know if this works with the quick menu (Triangle + D-Pad on the PS4)? Or is it just the stuff that you have equipped in your "down" slot in your inventory?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Maybe DS3 is the best one to check out. I'd say it's the closest to ER in terms of how it plays and the amount of options it gives you. Like Sekiro, however, some of the bosses are fucking hard, far more difficult than anything here. 

 

Realise you alluded to this earlier in your post, but I would say this is true if you include the bell summons. If not (and you don't have some ridiculous damage strategy) I've found the late-game bosses harder than anything in the base DS3 game personally (though I realise these things are always to an extent quite build and player dependant).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, John0 said:

 

Realise you alluded to this earlier in your post, but I would say this is true if you include the bell summons. If not (and you don't have some ridiculous damage strategy) I've found the late-game bosses harder than anything in the base DS3 game personally (though I realise these things are always to an extent quite build and player dependant).

 

Oh yeah, I entirely agree with that. Malikteth, in particular, seemed nigh impossible without my mimic summon. I got the impression that the majority of the bosses were designed with the summons in mind, however, especially towards the end, when they start dishing out screen-filling AoE attacks and can one or two shot you quite easily. The hardest boss in the entire game for me was Margit, and that's because I didn't use a summon for him and had to learn his attacks, but I'll be buggered if I'm doing that for the 100 or so bosses there are in this game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Ste Pickford said:

 

If you have a PS5 go to the source and get the Demon's Souls remake.

 

Personally I think Demon's Souls is quite overrated. It's still a very good game but I certainly wouldn't recommend it as the next game after ER, which should probably be Sekiro, DS3 or Bloodborne. A lot of the bosses are really shit with big runs back to them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Timmo said:

 

Personally I think Demon's Souls is quite overrated. It's still a very good game but I certainly wouldn't recommend it as the next game after ER, which should probably be Sekiro, DS3 or Bloodborne. A lot of the bosses are really shit with big runs back to them.


Yeah as I understand it Bluepoint have been very, very faithful to the original and the original is a 13 year old game that is very much the prototype of everything that was to come. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:


Strength Dual wield colossal weapons

Dexterity Bleed build

Whips only

Sword n board super tank

Faith paladin style

Bows/crossbows only

 

I'm currently working my way through Berserk and I think this one is leading the way. I did just pick up the Zweihander last night and I believe the Greatsword can be gotten early...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Doctor Shark said:


Yeah as I understand it Bluepoint have been very, very faithful to the original and the original is a 13 year old game that is very much the prototype of everything that was to come. 

 

It even has some of the old bugs in there. I was enjoying myself until one of the bosses glitched out when I was on the cusp of victory and I haven't been back since. I will at some point, but there is definitely a fair amount of shit amongst the great stuff. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think this has already been posted, but if not, it's a guy taking down 

Spoiler

Malenia

at SL1 without getting hit, no bleed, no frost. Just a buckler, a misericorde and balls of steel:

 

Spoiler

 

 

 

Madness. The composure, even at the end, is incredible. The guy is so chill it's a wonder that he doesn't have to bask in the sun each morning to get his circulation going.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I think this has already been posted, but if not, it's a guy taking down 

  Reveal hidden contents

Malenia

at SL1 without getting hit, no bleed, no frost. Just a buckler, a misericorde and balls of steel:

 

  Hide contents

 

 

 

Madness. The composure, even at the end, is incredible. The guy is so chill it's a wonder that he doesn't have to bask in the sun each morning to get his circulation going.

 

Yeah Lobo is Souls royalty, he must have thousands of hours across them and understands them as much as anyone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Timmo said:

 

Yeah Lobo is Souls royalty, he must have thousands of hours across them and understands them as much as anyone.

 

Just watched him take down the final bosses SL1. He...smiles at the end, I guess. I'd be going absolutely ballistic. He must be part android.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The only good thing I can say about Caelid is that it is the way out of the swamp of rot full of angry magicians. Did I die there in startled, confused and unalert combat with what can only be described as a flesh blanket, in a building named (paraphrasing) Edifice Presumably Containing More Than Just That One Meat Creature You Killed Already? Perhaps, but I think my impression is still unbiased.

 

I made it back to Limgrave and a modicum of safety, with its green grass, grey skies, and dozing packs of fuzzy mammals.

 

Gentle reader, would you believe they turned out to be ferocious bears?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Ste Pickford said:

Imagine a Switch version looking like this:
 

 

 

Well, now I know what a modern follow-up to the Ecstatica games should look like.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Talvalin said:

 

Hah. I'm in the same area I think. After reading messages warning me about a boss and recommending horseback battle. I got up there thinking that I must be safe before getting smashed off the edge and plummeting to my death. :hmm::lol:


Is said NPC in that area approximately (like, on the other side of the bridge where all those other ladders were?). I found a merchant but no other NPC.

No it’s just past the camp you encounter just by the spawn point - the one with the head banging bell head guy. 
 

when I got there there was a message saying to follow the rainbow stones…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Talvalin said:

Near the watchtower you can climb up?

 

In the meantime, I've found my way into Volcano Manor and debating whether to be a cad or not.

Have you found the amazing 

Spoiler

LEGACY DUNGEON

Hidden in there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Talvalin said:

Near the watchtower you can climb up?

 

In the meantime, I've found my way into Volcano Manor and debating whether to be a cad or not.


If you mean whether to join because

 

Spoiler

they sell it as you going and killing other tarnished don’t worry
 

Spoiler

It doesn’t affect the story long term

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, John0 said:

 

Does anyone know if this works with the quick menu (Triangle + D-Pad on the PS4)? Or is it just the stuff that you have equipped in your "down" slot in your inventory?

 

Just the "down" slot where your flasks are and your spells/incantations/weapons.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, PeteJ said:

Finished the Ranni questline. Yay. 

 

Now in the area you finish up. Ooh a new Evergoal to attempt. I'll try that then. 

 

*Dies repeatedly*

 

One of the hardest bosses in the game for me. Bloundhound step helps.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, PeteJ said:

Finished the Ranni questline. Yay. 

 

Now in the area you finish up. Ooh a new Evergoal to attempt. I'll try that then. 

 

*Dies repeatedly*

 

That fight was the second hardest one I've done in the game I think. Absolutely merciless.

 

On that subject, just beat Melania YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS

 

Have been bumping my head off her for four days now. What a horrible boss. On the home stretch, just the final boss now. Quite pleased, away on holiday on Saturday and it'll be nice to finish up before then.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.