Elden Ring - chortlesome japes

Broker

1 hour ago, Timmo said:

Any suggestions for something fun on a second playthrough? My first was sorcery/moonveil for the most part.

I've gone strength with a bit of faith mostly using greatswords, just got to altus and the build is starting to shine now especially as I'm now using the Crucible Knights greatsword which I love, I'm going to become a Crucible Knight once I get their armour using their spells and whatnot, oh yeah!

15 hours ago, Uncle Nasty said:

I'd love to know the motivation behind this. How unusual and great.

Its how they've always done it, there hasn't been Japanese VO in any of the souls games (bar Sekiro) 

Probably related to Miyazakis childhood memories of trying to read those mysterious foreign books.. 

Quick Q - i've not bothered atall with magic. If i wanted my mimic to use rotten breath, will he be able to if i don't have the stats to? Or are his stats an exact replica of mine?

2 minutes ago, joemul said:

Quick Q - i've not bothered atall with magic. If i wanted my mimic to use rotten breath, will he be able to if i don't have the stats to? Or are his stats an exact replica of mine?

He can’t use anything you can’t use. 

You probably already know this, but the mimic costs health to summon instead of FP which is great for non-magic builds. 

Just now, Doctor Shark said:

Oof, you need more points in vigor, STAT! 

I have 30 now, it's more manageable in the later game areas - did the fire giant the other day and am in Elphael at the moment.

So Fire Giant is down at last and I found my way to 

Spoiler

Crumbling Faram Asula (?) - I'd already read a spoiler in this thread which told me that basically this was an (the?) end-game location so when I found I couldn't teleport back, I panicked a bit as I was worried I was locked into an endgame situation, and there's still a load of stuff I haven't done yet, which I have a feeling will affect my end game, such as kill Malenia and finish Millicent's questline. Anyway didn't seem to be anything I could do about it so pressed on, and eventually found the tempest-facing grace area from which I can warp back to the mainland. So I guess my question is ... is there any sort of "point of no return" coming up, where I should make sure I've polished off everything I want to do in the way of side quests and hidden areas, before I press on?

5 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

So Fire Giant is down at last and I found my way to 

Hide contents

Crumbling Faram Asula (?) - I'd already read a spoiler in this thread which told me that basically this was an (the?) end-game location so when I found I couldn't teleport back, I panicked a bit as I was worried I was locked into an endgame situation, and there's still a load of stuff I haven't done yet, which I have a feeling will affect my end game, such as kill Malenia and finish Millicent's questline. Anyway didn't seem to be anything I could do about it so pressed on, and eventually found the tempest-facing grace area from which I can warp back to the mainland. So I guess my question is ... is there any sort of "point of no return" coming up, where I should make sure I've polished off everything I want to do in the way of side quests and hidden areas, before I press on?

That spoiler you read was incorrect. It is not the end game location, although it does kick off the trek to end game and, depending how much you’ve done already, that trek will be fairly quick or still exceptionally long. 

And to answer your actual question no, there is no point of no return in terms of locking you in to a path you can’t get out of. Story wise there is, obviously, but it doesn’t stop you buggering off to do whatever you like at any point, including right before and even after killing the final boss. 

20 minutes ago, Nate Dogg III said:

Very good Melania tutorial, this:

Damn this is great! The Backwards Backwards Forwards Forwards Left Left sequence for her multiple spirits attack especially. Inspires me to try and do phase 2!

15 hours ago, Ste Pickford said:

Gah, getting really fucked off now.  Was stuck on the godskin noble a while back so left it and went away.  I've levelled up a bit (now 60), and upgraded my weapon a bit.  Figured I could come back and do better. Another 14 attempts tonight, making 31 in total, and I'm getting no closer to beating him.  Tried dual wielding, tried using a shield and guard counters, even tried cheesing him with a bow.  Just can't hurt him enough before I've make too many mistakes and blow it.  I'm really crap without a summon to distract, which makes me worried that I'm going to hit a wall with proper bosses later in the game.

I ended up looking up a video because I wanted to see how people were beating him, to improve my technique.  First video I watched showed someone just riding past him and opening the door at the end of the bridge.

Doh! It didn't even occur to me that I didn't need to fight him at all.  What a waste of time.

When I'm level 150 or something I'm going to come back and kill him so viciously...

38 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

And to answer your actual question no, there is no point of no return in terms of locking you in to a path you can’t get out of.

Depends on where he is in terms of quest lines doesn't it? 

Spoiler

If he's not progressed Goldmask/Brother Corhyn's quest line far enough won't it become impossible after CFA, locking him out of that ending? I've not tried it, so I'm guessing.. certainly the Bolt of Gransax can't be gotten after CFA though so that's worth going to grab if you've not already.

Had a good little wandering last night. Climbed up to a new area nr Altus, got kicked of a cliff by an NPC who is owed a thorough volleying after being a rascal over the years, killed by death rot, cleared out a tunnel system, and then got battered repeatedly by a full grown FSB. 

8 minutes ago, Alask said:

Reveal hidden contents

If he's not progressed Goldmask/Brother Corhyn's quest line far enough won't it become impossible after CFA, locking him out of that ending? I've not tried it, so I'm guessing.. certainly the Bolt of Gransax can't be gotten after CFA though so that's worth going to grab if you've not already.

Yeah - you can get locked out of Corhyn's questline as early at the 

Spoiler

Mountaintops, even before CFA. That's what happened to me.

Also, before I finished the game last night I was reading a couple of mopping up guides to make sure I'd done everything I wanted to do, and there was one secret which completely passed me by. Did anyone else naturally find the secret 

Spoiler

catacombs which is in the 

Spoiler

Hidden Path to the Haligtree area - the bit with the land octopi and Vulgar Militia soldiers? You have to drop down onto an

Spoiler

entirely invisible path through a gap in the balustrade as you go up the central staircase. Eventually it brings you out into a mini catacombs dungeon, complete with a boss: another 

Spoiler

mimic tear!

Madness 😱

Completing it allowed me to get the final 

Spoiler

deathroot, however, to give to Gurranq. I was expecting he would go mad and I'd have to put him down, but he just floats away.

Incidentally, are he and 

Spoiler

Maliketh the same person, or something? Maliketh's first stage, where he's listed as just being a 'Beast Clergyman', looks very similar to Gurranq, who is also a Beast Clergyman, obviously. Maliketh also uses lots of Gurranq's beast magic, and one of the item descriptions you read says that Gurranq's original name was god-slayer, or something similar, which is fitting for Maliketh, as his blade was used to kill Godwyn.

All very interesting.

3 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Also, before I finished the game last night I was reading a couple of mopping up guides to make sure I'd done everything I wanted to do, and there was one secret which completely passed me by. Did anyone else naturally find the secret 

Hide contents

catacombs which is in the 

Hide contents

Hidden Path to the Haligtree area - the bit with the land octopi and Vulgar Militia soldiers? You have to drop down onto an

Hide contents

entirely invisible path through a gap in the balustrade as you go up the central staircase. Eventually it brings you out into a mini catacombs dungeon, complete with a boss: another 

Hide contents

mimic tear!

Madness 😱

Completing it allowed me to get the final 

Hide contents

deathroot, however, to give to Gurranq. I was expecting he would go mad and I'd have to put him down, but he just floats away.

Incidentally, are he and 

Hide contents

Maliketh the same person, or something? Maliketh's first stage, where he's listed as just being a 'Beast Clergyman', looks very similar to Gurranq, who is also a Beast Clergyman, obviously. Maliketh also uses lots of Gurranq's beast magic, and one of the item descriptions you read says that Gurranq's original name was god-slayer, or something similar, which is fitting for Maliketh, as his blade was used to kill Godwyn.

All very interesting.

Yes to the beastman thing. 

30 minutes ago, Alask said:

Reveal hidden contents

21 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Yeah - you can get locked out of Corhyn's questline as early at the 

Reveal hidden contents

Mountaintops, even before CFA. That's what happened to me.

Which is why I specifically said story wise you can get locked into a path but gameplay wise, which is more what they were asking about (I.e. not being able to go tackle certain bosses), then no, you can still zoom off and do whatever you like. :P

4 hours ago, Danster said:

Ha, hadn't thought of doing that with the mimic! It feels like cheating, rotten breath is that good.

For extra cheese, you can give the mimic a Shabriri's Woe Talisman - this makes the enemies constantly attack the mimic, so they get a permanent cloud of Rot spewed at them as the mimic has nothing else to defend itself with. You're then open to wreck the boss however you choose, sometimes I just like to watch the AI fight itself and finish the boss off if the mimic dies.

Don't forget if you equip warming stones, aromatics and healing spells, the mimic will use them. I equipped the Ironjar Aromatic last night which turned the mimic into a literal rot spewing tank which was healing me at the same time. The fun you can have with this is endless.

4 hours ago, Timmo said:

Any suggestions for something fun on a second playthrough? My first was sorcery/moonveil for the most part.

Eleonora’s Twinblade - masses of bleed damage through pumping arcane with an extremely flashy and satisfying skill is probably the best fun I’ve had with the game. A shield is optional!

Otherwise I quite enjoyed a high faith build which poked from behind a greatshield until the late game where it was too slow to deal damage against the likes of Malenia or Maliketh, but it definitely felt good for running around the overworld basically ignoring all enemy attacks.

Dual wielding while using the raptors black feathers and the claw talisman for additional jump attack damage is also great fun. 

Well I started the end run this morning and died twice on EB. 

Looks like I'm finishing my first From game.

And I'm already watching fighting cowboys Sekiro playthrough and tempted to get. 

Would it also be madness to buy the Dark Souls trilogy? 

2 hours ago, joemul said:

Had a good little wandering last night. Climbed up to a new area nr Altus, got kicked of a cliff by an NPC who is owed a thorough volleying after being a rascal over the years, killed by death rot, cleared out a tunnel system, and then got battered repeatedly by a full grown FSB. 

Hah. I'm in the same area I think. After reading messages warning me about a boss and recommending horseback battle. I got up there thinking that I must be safe before getting smashed off the edge and plummeting to my death. :hmm::lol:

Is said NPC in that area approximately (like, on the other side of the bridge where all those other ladders were?). I found a merchant but no other NPC.