IGNORED

Elden Ring - chortlesome japes

Broker

41 minutes ago, Minion said:

Apparently there isn't even Japanese voices on the Japanese version so yes the whole world is hearing a lot of Welsh accents.

This is incredible.

13 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

OK so whilst I found Rykard hilariously easy, Mohg is a nightmare. His first phase is easy enough but once phase 2 starts he just seems to insta-kill me and I've got no idea what to do about it. 

There are ways. Easier than mine, but I just

Spoiler

Waited for it and chugged potions through it.

Gah, getting really fucked off now.  Was stuck on the godskin noble a while back so left it and went away.  I've levelled up a bit (now 60), and upgraded my weapon a bit.  Figured I could come back and do better. Another 14 attempts tonight, making 31 in total, and I'm getting no closer to beating him.  Tried dual wielding, tried using a shield and guard counters, even tried cheesing him with a bow.  Just can't hurt him enough before I've make too many mistakes and blow it.  I'm really crap without a summon to distract, which makes me worried that I'm going to hit a wall with proper bosses later in the game.

7 minutes ago, Ste Pickford said:

Gah, getting really fucked off now.  Was stuck on the godskin noble a while back so left it and went away.  I've levelled up a bit (now 60), and upgraded my weapon a bit.  Figured I could come back and do better. Another 14 attempts tonight, making 31 in total, and I'm getting no closer to beating him.  Tried dual wielding, tried using a shield and guard counters, even tried cheesing him with a bow.  Just can't hurt him enough before I've make too many mistakes and blow it.  I'm really crap without a summon to distract, which makes me worried that I'm going to hit a wall with proper bosses later in the game.

Is that the one on the bridge? If so, I ran to one of the little balcony areas, waited for him to get up to the other side of the wall. Utilised the terrible collision detection to stab him through the wall, then once he looked like we was going to come around the wall, I ran to the next balcony area. And repeat.

If you’ve killed big Mohg does that mean little Mohg isn’t there? I think I’ve been to where he would’ve been but haven’t looked it up, just been mopping up quests & locations 

Spoiler the answer please for the folk who don’t want to know.

On the accents and that, I enjoyed this interview with the lead translator at Frognation, the localisation bods Miyazaki's been using since Demon's. Was published before Elden Ring arrived but obviously there's plenty of connective tissue.

Localisation can be a weirdly formless trade - sometimes involving direct translation, sometimes closer to adaptation, bordering on full-blown collaboration with the creator. The Souls games are an especially complex and intriguing case, shaped as they are by Miyazaki's childhood curiosity about a language and a culture he didn't entirely understand. “He used to struggle through English fantasy books like Lord of the Rings in his youth,” Morris says. “He is really into western fantasy. And that's how he ends up making something like Demon Souls. It's his own take, but it's heavily inspired by western fantasy.” The most obvious symptom of this fascination is that while the early Souls games were written in Japanese, they are voiced exclusively in English, with British actors to suit the medieval setting.

12 minutes ago, Kryptonian said:

If you’ve killed big Mohg does that mean little Mohg isn’t there? I think I’ve been to where he would’ve been but haven’t looked it up, just been mopping up quests & locations 

Spoiler

Lil Mohg still shows up, yes.

He’s in Leyndell Catacombs, under the sewers.  When in the sewers, drop down off a few pipes to where there’s a fairly open space with lobster/s, leg it past the lobster/s and into the crack in the wall.  He’s at the base of the catacombs.  And that’s not all!  Happy exploring!

2 minutes ago, Kryptonian said:

Spoiler

He is still there

3 minutes ago, Nate Dogg III said:

On the accents and that, I enjoyed this interview with the lead translator at Frognation, the localisation bods Miyazaki's been using since Demon's. Was published before Elden Ring arrived but obviously there's plenty of connective tissue.

Thanks for this! I've always wondered how they come up with some of the words, I had never heard of conniptions till Dark Souls 3 for example. So Miyazaki wrote them in Japanese and this guy translated, very interesting! Also telling that they keep using them they are obviously pleased with the relationship. I'd still like to know who directs the voice actors, they're so good in all of their games.

6 minutes ago, Triple A said:

Lil Mohg still shows up, yes.

He’s in 

Hide contents

Leyndell Catacombs, under the sewers.  When in the sewed, drop down off a few pipes to where there’s a fairly open space with lobster/s, leg it past the lobster/s and into the crack in the wall.  He’s at the base of the catacombs.  And that’s not all!  Happy exploring!

Well I’ve been through there for an NPC thing :lol:

1 hour ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Astel Star Of Darkness down first time thankyouverymuch.

About 25 attempts later I've finally done it. 

Apart from a few insta-death moments with one of the many tail slam attacks, the thing that got me over and over and over was it appearing right above me and doing the grab move. No way to escape. Dead. Nearly every time. 

Naturally...the time I managed it the fight was easy, as is often the way. 

When I found that the door behind the boss was locked because of a key I had missed earlier in the quest however, I wanted to cry a little bit. I know what I've not done, just hope I've not messed it up. 

2 minutes ago, PeteJ said:

When I found that the door behind the boss was locked because of a key I had missed earlier in the quest however, I wanted to cry a little bit. I know what I've not done, just hope I've not messed it up. 

You haven't - don't worry; I did that entire section without evening realising it was related to the quest, but I was still able to do what I needed for it afterwards.

Jeepers. I'd forgotten just how meaty sounding combat is in these games! It's genuinely satisfying clobbering people. 

Also: wince-inducing when I get clobbered!

Very good. 

Grabbed the platinum last night. If I'd been aware of the scale of the game in advance then I'd have wondered if this might threaten my 100% From record but actually, relatively, it's all quite manageable and a thorough playthrough should see anyone fairly close to it anyway. I only had a handful of legendary items and one fairly hidden optional boss to mop up, it turned out. Even if you did miss more, it probably wouldn't be unwelcome news that actually there was yet another incredible, completely optional area to explore. I wonder what minimum percentage of this game you have to see to complete it (ignoring speedrun glitch stuff) - not very high, I reckon! There are, by other games' standards, entire worlds in here that half the player base will never even realise exists.

The mop up did turn out to be a bit more of an ordeal then I'd have thought though. Firstly, I ran into a bug with the talismans trophy where it was awarded but then refused to show up in my list, which must have been an OS bug rather than a problem with the game because it was there in my notifications and would appear in the trophy list if I went offline. After some googling and various failed attempts to force sync, reboot, etc., the only fix was to unlock the next trophy which forced everything to sync up, it seems. Bit nerve-wracking. Then my second problem was with the weapons trophy where a brief foray into NG+ was required to pick up the one missable item. Since you have to collect all of them in a single playthrough, I used the workaround where you drop them and pick them up again. Beware: you can only drop 8 items before they start despawning and there are, of course, 10 weapons. Fortunately, I only had to drop 9 and the one I naively destroyed in the process was the SoN&F that's trivial to obtain again.

But besides that brief drama, it was hassle free, and I'm not going to pretend that I miss the tedious farming that every previous Souls asked for at least one trophy. The lack of standard open world trophy tropes - collect all 100 badger arses etc. - was also welcome. One of my earliest impressions of this was that it had done away with most game trappings and just left you free to immerse yourself in an immaculately realised world and it makes me very happy that, over 150 hours later, nothing has changed my mind on that front. I didn't even think that the quality dropped at any point, with one of the latest areas, CFA, being one of my favourites. The very final boss was arguably misjudged and it generally felt something of an abrupt ending for such a grand adventure but, that said, even after skimming over some of the story explainers in here, I still didn't have a very firm grasp on what was going on - 'who the hell was Hoarah Loux?' would be just one of very many questions - so a protracted outro wouldn't have offered much.

I have no idea what I'm going to play next - a break then something in a very different genre, perhaps, because this is the hardest act to follow in video gaming for me. I do think that the mixture of emotions it inspired at different points - always with a healthy dose of awe - will never quite be repeated.

9 hours ago, PeteJ said:

About 25 attempts later I've finally done it. 

Apart from a few insta-death moments with one of the many tail slam attacks, the thing that got me over and over and over was it appearing right above me and doing the grab move. No way to escape. Dead. Nearly every time. 

Naturally...the time I managed it the fight was easy, as is often the way. 

Rotten Breath got me through it. I recommended this incantation to anyone, just dump a few points into Faith/Arcane and wear some gear to boost those stats. Level up a Dragon Communion Seal and have it on you for boss fights. As soon as the Rotten Breath lands on a boss it does a ton of damage and continues to deal tick damage. The rest of the fight is just about avoiding the boss as the tick damage kills it. Any chance you get, blast with another cloud of Rot. If you use a Mimic, summon it without any weapons so it only has Rotten Breath to use. Boss killer.

Ha, hadn't thought of doing that with the mimic! It feels like cheating, rotten breath is that good.

I respecced into an Arkane twinblade bleed machine over the weekend. Following a fextralife build guide, it's was tricky to start with, changing from a high dexterity shield weilder, but worth it.

I really like this but I need a break from it now. I reckon I must be about 50 percent through it but it's been a solid month of the same loop. Don't get me wrong, the game is ace but there's just so much of it.

In contrast I'm playing a season of F1 and enjoying the simple pleasures of hitting an apex.

I'll be back next week no doubt.

Slowly improved at Melania last night, can get through phase 1 most of the time (although it takes a while!). Even managed this a few times:

Spoiler

Unsure whether to try and git good at phase 2 or just summon my mimic and rush her down, which from a test I did I could do pretty easily. In phase 2 I can't really read her in the same way as phase 1 because of her flower wings. Plus it takes ~5 mins to get there each time. And she's much more aggressive, so you don't get a lot of time to gather yourself.

Got to say as frustrating as it was at first, once you start dodging her and you're beating 90% of her moves - that moment when she dashes off away from you to regroup.. that feels reeeally damn good! And it's a very nice fluid dancy sword fight once you have the measure of her.

7 minutes ago, Timmo said:

Any suggestions for something fun on a second playthrough? My first was sorcery/moonveil for the most part.

Strength Dual wield colossal weapons

Dexterity Bleed build

Whips only

Sword n board super tank

Faith paladin style

Bows/crossbows only

Those are the kind of things I’m looking at (except the first as that’s how I finished my first playthrough so for me it would change to sorcery) 

Okay, so this is possibly the most stupid question I'm going to ask, but exactly what button do I need to press to actually drink a potion? I've got it set on the down botton on the cross-head, but I just assumed that would make me consume it. But it don't.

Clearly, it will be akin to Jesus' second coming if I manage to get far in this game ;) 

3 minutes ago, JoeK said:

Okay, so this is possibly the most stupid question I'm going to ask, but exactly what button do I need to press to actually drink a potion? I've got it set on the down botton on the cross-head, but I just assumed that would make me consume it. But it don't.

Clearly, it will be akin to Jesus' second coming if I manage to get far in this game ;) 

X on a PC/Xbox gamepad. Can't remember what that corresponds to on a PS pad. Down on the d-pad selects between your consumables, up is spells/incantations.

6 minutes ago, JoeK said:

You cycle through the items in the cross-head with the corresponding d-pad buttons (so pressing down on the d-pad will cycle through items in the down slot). And Square uses the item currently in the down slot. So, Square! (Edit: which is X on PC/Xbox, apparently)

Right at the start of the game it should have suggested to you that you go down into a "pit of knowledge" or something similar. I recommend doing that, it should explain all of the control basics to you.

I look forward to your transformation from "how do I heal guys" to "god-killer" :).

1 minute ago, John0 said:

Right at the start of the game it should have suggested to you that you go down into a "pit of knowledge" or something similar. I recommend doing that, it should explain all of the control basics to you.

I did! True to my nature, I forgot everything it told me within a second of stepping out into the landscape...

'god-killer' status marked 'currently unable to track'.