IGNORED

Elden Ring - chortlesome japes

Broker

14 minutes ago, Curtis said:

@Jamie JohnMy opinion is that the late game feels like a slog because the balance is all out-of-whack.

They ramped up the damage output of regular enemies a little too high. Being 2-shot by enemies you’ve seen before, with 60 Vigor is not okay.

I understand why a lot of players don’t like the later areas.

That balance doesn't feel "out of whack" to me. It's intentionally putting you back in your place and as vulnerable as you were right in the very first few hours of the game. After some time romping around, for this optional secret(ish) area, it comes full circle and makes you cautious again. I loved it. I doubt From expected half the players to even find the 

Spoiler

Haligtree

on their first play through

10 minutes ago, Curtis said:

@Jamie JohnMy opinion is that the late game feels like a slog because the balance is all out-of-whack.

They ramped up the damage output of regular enemies a little too high. Being 2-shot by enemies you’ve seen before, with 60 Vigor is not okay.

I understand why a lot of players don’t like the later areas.

Yup, I agree.

Still, Elphael is amazing. It's just a shame I only get to experience it as I'm sprinting through it with a comedy trail of enemies behind me! The bit where you get to 

Spoiler

The Erdtree Avatar flanked by two hard as fuck knights, covered by two pairs of ballistas, beyond a narrow bridge that is preceded by about four lesser knights and two Cleanrot Knights, had me snorting so loudly in disbelief that I nearly brought something up.

I get that you're supposed to bypass all of it using the higher route, which is what I did, but still. It felt like something a sadist playing Super Dark Souls Maker would have designed.

2 minutes ago, Benny said:

That balance doesn't feel "out of whack" to me. It's intentionally putting you back in your place and as vulnerable right in the very first few hours of the game. After some time romping around, for this optional secret(ish) area, it comes full circle and makes you cautious again. I loved it. I doubt From expected half the players to even find the 

Hide contents

Haligtree

on their first play through

It’s not that the endgame shouldn’t be more difficult than everything that preceded it, it’s more about the Scarlet Rot Knights who i farmed in the swamp for their wonderful armour, some 80 hours ago, are now 10x more powerful. That’s only one example. 

2 minutes ago, Benny said:

Which seems intentional. You used to be able to farm them as they no longer represented a threat. Not anymore.

That's by design.

Of course it’s intentional, I’m not arguing that. I’m saying it’s lazy in copy/pasting like they always do. I understand the significance and importance of the Cleanrot Knights within the lore, but all should be created equal.

9 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Yup, I agree.

Still, Elphael is amazing. It's just a shame I only get to experience it as I'm sprinting through it with a comedy trail of enemies behind me! The bit where you get to 

Hide contents

The Erdtree Avatar flanked by two hard as fuck knights, covered by two pairs of ballistas, beyond a narrow bridge that is preceded by about four lesser knights and two Cleanrot Knights, had me snorting so loudly in disbelief that I nearly brought something up.

I get that you're supposed to bypass all of it using the higher route, which is what I did, but still. It felt like something a sadist playing Super Dark Souls Maker would have designed.

Spoiler

Once you use the higher route to get to the bonfire behind them, you can take them out one by one.

I'd say the lower level below that is even worse, personally!

Maybe I should extrapolate; I would’ve like a remixed, bad boy version of known enemies in the later levels, so when they fuck you up, you understand this is the 2.0 version.

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

I'm not so sure, to be honest. I suggested as much about 15 hours or so in-game hours ago. It's not that it's too big, but more like it's too *much*. It's wearying to play something this intense for this amount of time. It feels endless and almost insurmountable. Areas within areas within areas.

I've never played a single-player campaign for 120 hours before without additional DLC. BotW with all the shrines was about 90. Persona 5 was 100 and definitely too long. I think my save on The Witcher 3 was up to 120 hours, but that was after both DLC chapters and every single sidequest completed. The imagination and creativity on show in Elden Ring is truly amazing, but part of me wonders if, overall, I don't prefer the relative leanness of Sekiro, or Dark Souls 1. Elden Ring is as mind-boggling as it is exhausting.

I agree with this. 

13 minutes ago, Curtis said:

Maybe I should extrapolate; I would’ve like a remixed, bad boy version of known enemies in the later levels, so when they fuck you up, you understand this is the 2.0 version.

I don't disagree with that necessarily at least. Maybe just give them frenzy eyes or something.

3 minutes ago, Dark Soldier said:

The end game areas in this piss all over the end game areas of DkS, 2 and Bloodborne imo. Especially over the first which is laughably, laughably bad by that point.

We weren’t discussing the areas, which are spectacular, more the enemy ATK numbers. 😚

The same looking enemies being more difficult because they're in a later area jars even more when you consider that From tells its story through the environment.

2 hours ago, Jolly said:

Love that the names of bosses in this are all mysterious like 'Henrickter the Candlekiller' and 'Ubolotitous Dim' and then one is just 'he's got worms on his face so he's Wormface, lol'

2E1753A7-42BF-4D68-A26D-A35D8F84A8AE.thumb.jpeg.9c7c0baae89a730bf5db541a13680030.jpeg

59 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Just defeated Malenia.

FIIIIIIIIRRRSSSSSSSSST TIIIIIMEEEEEEEE!!!!

200w.gif.6aa26a7664c1d757ea501d586a70aa5d.gif

Reveal hidden contents

I take it all back. Haligtree is actual GOAT.

But you don't have the right :hmm:

33 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Is the consensus that anything above level 150 means you'll be locked out of most jolly cooperation?

You can password jolly coop with any level (I'm 150), hint hint.

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

Is the consensus that anything above level 150 means you'll be locked out of most jolly cooperation?

I’ve had zero problems summoning or being summoned up to level 180. Obviously that’s mostly in late game areas, but for the final boss, Melania, Mohg, fire giant etc it seems fine.

And roll the end credits with the Age of Stars ending.

Spoiler

Is there a different ending after EB is down if I touch Marika’s remains rather than Ranni’s summon sign?

Ended up killing Elden Bast with Rivers of Blood and kept my mimic alive too. Helped that I used a guaranteed zero damage cheese to get through Radagon and save some time and flasks.

SL148 after 148 hours, and only really three criticisms:

Shite end boss, with all that running around after it. And that’s after getting through Radagon each time.

Poor balance on Malenia, with RoB trivialising what otherwise (to me) was seemingly impossible.

Story was largely impenetrable, but we have Vaati for that I guess.

As I moaned earlier, ER is a rock-solid 10/10 for 140 hours, but not flawless. A stunning achievement in gaming nonetheless, and still the best game I’ve played.

There’s also nothing else I want to play. (Two) fingers crossed, my Steam Deck Astrologer run starts Monday!

I mean it's telling when you have Lara slopping through loads of thick, realistically rendered mud that's getting everywhere, and it's just making you nostalgic for wading through Scarlet Rot.

10 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Just defeated Malenia.

FIIIIIIIIRRRSSSSSSSSST TIIIIIMEEEEEEEE!!!!

Hide contents

I take it all back. Haligtree is actual GOAT.

Nice, what weapon?

4 minutes ago, Timmo said:

Nice, what weapon?

Spoiler

+25 morning star, which I used about twice, and a +23 dragon seal. I summoned someone to help me, but they must have been AFK while I was watching the cutscene, because they did nothing until the end of her first phase when they suddenly came to life. After that they ran in with dual katanas but got killed midway through phase 2, which was a proper 'Fuuuuck' moment.

Really, though, I just spammed the blood flies spell and ran away from her, which was surprisingly effective, then pelted her with lightning strike or the frenzy eye sniper beam while she was stun-locked from the flies. Second phase was easier than the first, partly because of the NPC helper, but also because that big flower AoE she did was pretty easy to dodge and she just sat there for a while afterwards, which made her an easy target for the flies. I'd read about her healing and doing some 'waterfowl' thing, but she didn't seem to do either of those when I fought her. My heart was definitely hammering by the end, though!