IGNORED

Elden Ring - chortlesome japes

Broker

2 hours ago, Ste Pickford said:

I quite like the idea of people beating the game in the fastest way possible, but not using bugs.  Doesn't seem very interesting to see bugs being exploited.

2 hours ago, Ste Pickford said:

Fair enough. I've not really ever watched them.  I just thought they would be all about player skill, and maybe using tricks that the designers hadn't intended to skip past / speed up sections, within the rules of the game -  I can see why that would be interesting and entertaining.

Glitchless speedruns are what you’re describing, and they can be great. However, with a gar like this you’re committing to 1 hour per run which means the number of attempts is lower so they often don’t get optimised as much. 

From experience of trying out glitches, they’re often really hard to execute. Much harder than any of the stuff required to complete a souls game. Watching some videos about how these speedruns work is genuinely fascinating.

2 hours ago, imp said:

I think the "all remembrances" category, which basically means all major bosses are fought, will be good once they patch out the carian retaliation & wraith calling bell exploit. It was quite fun before, even when it relied on the Sword of Night and Flame to power through most encounters, but as it is now it's a bit dull watching players not engage with the bosses by using a glitch.

I like a balance of recognisable player skill and fun exploits in my speedruns! Too much of the latter is no fun to me.

Elajjaz does a melee version of All Remembrances with War Cry and Bloody Helice that’s more enjoyable to watch than Carian which is indeed quite dull. Also a lot more RNG dependent ofc. It’s the category I’ve most enjoyed watching so far for sure. 

The problem with All Remembrances is the 30 minutes of setup at the beginning. Amazing routing but once you’ve seen it once, etc. 

I’ve not played for a week and feel like maybe it’s going to be hard to go back. That snowy area really did remove all joy from the game. 

Did pretty well getting that far mind. Still a brilliant game. 

Me too! I love how the frozen giant corpses are represented on the map.

Anyway, after 238 hours played I thought it was probably best to finish up. Unfortunately I think I fucked something because:

Spoiler

I got the Lord of Frenzied Flame Ending.

Bit confused because I did the whole quest to remove that, but after the final boss there was only one option. I guess I must have done something wrong?

Anyway, 238 hours of sheer gaming bliss. But, I have actually neglected real life stuff since it came out, so I think I will take a break before doing NG+ or NG. I'm spent!

55 minutes ago, Nate Dogg III said:

Elajjaz does a melee version of All Remembrances with War Cry and Bloody Helice that’s more enjoyable to watch than Carian which is indeed quite dull. Also a lot more RNG dependent ofc. It’s the category I’ve most enjoyed watching so far for sure. 

The problem with All Remembrances is the 30 minutes of setup at the beginning. Amazing routing but once you’ve seen it once, etc. 

Yeah agreed, the riding around on Torrent to get specific items in any Elden Ring speedrun gets dull pretty quick huh! I'll check that run out though, War Cry is such a fun skill I can imagine that being good to watch even if it's repetitive. It's almost too satisfying* running into enemies waving an oversized sword or in the air while they get repeatedly poise broken!

*I think it must be down to the rapid sound effect. You don't normally get to hear that sweet squelch sound effect in that way. 

I now have all the talismans bar one because I chose to help Millicent at the end of her quest.  Back to weapon collecting tomorrow :)

This mopping up lark is revealing no end of cool secrets and missed stuff!

30 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Commander Niall down first time.

Be still my beating heart.

Just logged off for tonight.  About 10 minutes short of 100 hours. Level 59.  Done about half of Caelid I reckon, barely touched Altus Plateau.

Speaking of chortlesome japes, someone gave Elden Ring away using a Giftbot raffle on ResetEra, but when it was redeemed it was actually Bad Rats. :lol:

The user who created the giveaway got a six month ban for an April Fools joke. Ahhh never change, ResetEra.

The ban will be lifted if they provide us the promised code for the winner.

23 minutes ago, Ste Pickford said:

Just logged off for tonight.  About 10 minutes short of 100 hours. Level 59.  Done about half of Caelid I reckon, barely touched Altus Plateau.

Did you mean to quote me here?

Also, separately, what's the trick for Ordina? Because it's some grade A bullshit.

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

Also, separately, what's the trick for Ordina? Because it's some grade A bullshit.

There's an item you can get for added visibility.

Spoiler

Find a merchant in Altus near a site of grace

Spoiler

Close to the Draconic Tree Sentinel fight outside the Leyndell Rampart.

Or simply leg it. I usually do the latter!

22 minutes ago, imp said:

There's an item you can get for added visibility.

Hide contents

Find a merchant in Altus near a site of grace

Hide contents

Close to the Draconic Tree Sentinel fight outside the Leyndell Rampart.

Or simply leg it. I usually do the latter!

Do you mean the 

Spoiler

Prawn guy? I think the Dung Eater killed him. I might have his ball bearing. Can't think of any other merchants nearby, and I've been pretty thorough.

Edit: Never mind, found it! Ta.

6 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Sellen’s quest. :)

Hmm, I've very definitely finished that one, and don't have that reward. I'm guessing you need to have

Spoiler

Sided with Sellen to get the fancy hat(s) of her associated wizards, rather than helped Jerren? I wasn't about to turn on Ranni and Rennala like that, certainly not for a power-mad, self-centred witch vs. a nice old man who'd helped euthanise his god! 

In other news, met an Astel. On my second attempt, came oh so close to victory: 

Spoiler

97e4fd0e-42be-43f8-b0a0-7511c0625064_copy_1536x864.thumb.png.30607417e17929faf76f14df47252bab.png

Of course I then proceeded to get smashed repeatedly after that without getting anywhere near. Being a one-hit kill to any of its grabs and/or its levitation attack didn't help! Took another twenty minutes (which was probably about twenty goes, the speed I was dying at...) to finally get there: 

Spoiler

7f2a6530-0d97-435f-88e2-4c97d28a29f5_copy_1536x864.thumb.png.9048f3dd4b99cd76284de332ff2f60c7.png

Carried on a bit further, and now I'm Ranni's consort, hurrah! I have to assume that's the end of her questline.

Stats immediately after that victory, in case anyone wants to remind me that I need more vigor ;)

11f2e6bc-c1fd-4be0-b2a1-906c468f2b97_copy_1536x864.thumb.png.28e6256b0e860e2407003b8d2ecec19f.png

31 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

The Haligtree :lol:

What's even the point?

Now on 2nd part. I've lost > 100k runes every 15 mins for about 3 hours before I gave up and got drunk 😂

4 hours ago, robdood said:

Whatsuppppp Ringers of Rllmuk.  I'm streaming a bit tonight.  Starting a bow only run for japes.  Come say hi, you fuckers. 

https://www.youtube.com/c/robdood2

https://www.twitch.tv/robdood

Was surprised how fast the bow was. Making me look forward to a 2nd playthrough trying out different builds

Good stream as always Rob :) 

Ordina was a lot easier when I used this tactic:

Spoiler

Just stay on the rooftops. The invisible assassins can't get you. You just have to bring a bow for the asshole archers. Asschers.

11 hours ago, robdood said:

Whatsuppppp Ringers of Rllmuk.  I'm streaming a bit tonight.  Starting a bow only run for japes.  Come say hi, you fuckers. 

https://www.youtube.com/c/robdood2

https://www.twitch.tv/robdood

7 hours ago, Hawklord said:

Was surprised how fast the bow was. Making me look forward to a 2nd playthrough trying out different builds

Good stream as always Rob :) 

I enjoyed it too. The colleseum invader looking like a pin cushion at the end of the fight was excellent 😆

8 hours ago, Wiper said:

Hmm, I've very definitely finished that one, and don't have that reward. I'm guessing you need to have

Hide contents

Sided with Sellen to get the fancy hat(s) of her associated wizards, rather than helped Jerren? I wasn't about to turn on Ranni and Rennala like that, certainly not for a power-mad, self-centred witch vs. a nice old man who'd helped euthanise his god! 

In other news, met an Astel. On my second attempt, came oh so close to victory: 

Reveal hidden contents

97e4fd0e-42be-43f8-b0a0-7511c0625064_copy_1536x864.thumb.png.30607417e17929faf76f14df47252bab.png

Of course I then proceeded to get smashed repeatedly after that without getting anywhere near. Being a one-hit kill to any of its grabs and/or its levitation attack didn't help! Took another twenty minutes (which was probably about twenty goes, the speed I was dying at...) to finally get there: 

Reveal hidden contents

7f2a6530-0d97-435f-88e2-4c97d28a29f5_copy_1536x864.thumb.png.9048f3dd4b99cd76284de332ff2f60c7.png

Carried on a bit further, and now I'm Ranni's consort, hurrah! I have to assume that's the end of her questline.

Stats immediately after that victory, in case anyone wants to remind me that I need more vigor ;)

11f2e6bc-c1fd-4be0-b2a1-906c468f2b97_copy_1536x864.thumb.png.28e6256b0e860e2407003b8d2ecec19f.png

Yes, I did indeed make that decision. It doesn’t quite pan out the way you think though….

Spoiler

Sellen’s fate is…bizarre

15 hours ago, spanx said:

I’ve not played for a week and feel like maybe it’s going to be hard to go back. That snowy area really did remove all joy from the game. 

Did pretty well getting that far mind. Still a brilliant game. 

15 hours ago, jonamok said:

I like the two snowy areas. [shrug]

Yeah they’re great and probably the best designed areas in the game with some amazing vista’s… 

Its not that different! Only white and snowy! 

11 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Yeah, I quoted you because I'd just done Commander O Neil myself, and I thought that's who you were talking about. Then I realised there's a different one called Commander Niall, so I deleted the bit where I replied to you, but forgot to delete the quote bit. Sorry!

31 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

Stay off the streets

Also an item that helps! 

Description:

Spoiler

Torch Given to protectors of the Erdtree. Its flames are bestowed with a special incantation which allows the bearer to see assassins cloaked in veils. Furnished on behalf of the Erdtree and the Grace-Given Lord such that a Night of Black Knives will never come again.

Hahaha. My son plays this completely different from me. He doesn’t care about the following the game and doesn’t know where to go and has barely opened the map beyond Godrick. He hasn’t fought Rahdan… He just joins randoms online for trades and lols and wanders about putting down funny messages. He’s been given enough runes to level up to 135 and has full Rahdan set including the swords.

He’s enjoying it more than I do.