IGNORED

Elden Ring - chortlesome japes

Broker

12 hours ago, robdood said:

Yes, do it! Nobody on this forum will tell you to git gud

I will tell you to git gud. Do you some people still don't know you can make the jump down the well in Dark Souls to get the secret thing?

9 hours ago, robdood said:

I do wish and dream for a From game in the mould of Elden Ring, just without bosses. I'd bloody love that. 

I do enjoy the bosses, but the adventuring is my favourite bit. Learning the map. Where the good items are. Looking back over where I've been and realising distant landmarks are places I was walking around 10 hours ago. Coming out of a cave, into the light after hours of darkness. Feeling the satisfying sizzle of neurons in your brain connecting the pieces of the gameworld after inadvertently using a shortcut. Starting a new character, using prior knowledge to make runs for the cool items you found previously but couldn't use due to stats. Planning a character. Cooping. Invading! 

Oh god they're the absolute best games

♥️

Yeah, very much this. Before launch From suggested that Sekiro's bosses could be not exactly cheesed but stealthed and tricked, that definitely wasn't the case and was a serious disappointment. That game brickwalled me hard. Hopefully Elden Ring will offer opportunities for getting the jump on bosses depending the time of day or location, perhaps like your first encounter with the Asylum Demon where you drain half of his health with a drop attack. Let us figure out tactics like that but in the open environment. I really hope that's the case.

13 hours ago, robdood said:

As a small anecdote, when I first played Dark Souls 1, it took me about 50-60 hours to get to the rough half way point of the game (Anor Londo, fact fans). I can make the same journey in about 1 hour these days.

This is comforting as thats pretty much the same amount of time as me in terms of Anor Londo. 

I’m staggered by that stat is I’m usually the sort to walk away from a lot of games after an hour. 

(This is obviously shared with a lot of games but there’s nothing like rinsing through enemies who once beat you down every time (looking at you Gwyn’s Castle Knights)).

Really looking forward to ER (if only to use that neon purple sword/rain cloud magic which looks flippin’ sweet). I was gonna say “I can’t wait for ER” but that’s not true. I’m not starting it until I’ve got as far as possible in DaS. But I’m looking forward to sharing the thrill of the (relatively, by the time I get to it) new with folk. 

5 hours ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Before launch From suggested that Sekiro's bosses could be not exactly cheesed but stealthed and tricked, that definitely wasn't the case and was a serious disappointment

There was that one Corrupted Monk encounter where you could get the drop on her and take out one of her lifebars immediately. Which they patched out. :hmm: Honestly I kind of liked it as a concept - multiple lifebars meant that you could do the gimmicky deathblow and still have a "real" fight.

In all seriousness, I would have liked more items and tools that were effective in Sekiro's boss battles. It'll be interesting to see if ER's crafting opens up the potential for varied approaches to encounters...

Ah man, I really need to get off the internet for a bit. 

This looks ace, but I also wish I hadn't seen it.  Are you sure you want to click?  The hype machine is only going ot get worse.  Good luck out there, Fromsoft fam.. 

Spoiler

Last chance!!

Spoiler

FJo0YOlXoAEpoNh?format=jpg&name=4096x409

A From game without bosses would be awful. They make the most memorable bosses in all of gaming and that rush you get when defeating them is unrivalled. More bosses, please. Man, Sword Saint Isshin was such an amazing fight :wub:

(you could stealth most of the mini bosses in Sekiro BTW)

PSA - this is also for PC Dark 3 players so will post there, some exploit has been found inthe game's coed that allows a hacker to reun executables on your PC.  GREAT! 

TLDR - Bamco have tkaen servers down today to investigate.  The same eploit would theoritcally be in Elden Ring since it shares some the same codebase. 

nglqxx1zp6d81.png

Allegedly the community PC multiplayer hack prevention tool Blue Sentinel has already been upgraded to prevent it (Blue Sentinel will basically be essential for PC Elden Ring players imo), but with any luck it'll be fix by From ahead of then. 

image.png

6 hours ago, robdood said:

tenor.gif

Well, let me rephrase that. The game itself would probably still be good but I would find it awful if they'd decide to cut the bosses from their games. I wouldn't be surprised if you'd ask ten people about their favourite From Soft moment, nine would mention beating boss X. They're one of the major pillars of their games.

I'd love to see a *check notes* dark fantasy action RPG without bosses from From - just to see if they could pull it off. Or maybe there are "bosses", but instead of fighting them you could set certain events in motion, like with Alfred and Annalise in Bloodborne. You could accept quests and form alliances. Or you could uncover secret routes to circumvent bosses, or give yourself a bigger advantage when you do take them on.

In fact, my biggest hope for Elden Ring is that you have enough choice in the open world to avoid being left with one joyless boss encounter. Maybe eventually you'll exhaust alternate routes, but I'd like to think that doing so would put you at an advantage.

6 minutes ago, Lovelyman said:

I think the bosses (with a few exceptions) are the least fun part of their games. 

Agree. They're annoying roadblocks in the wonderful games of exploration. Would have given up at Rom if not for being able to summon my brother who happened to be playing at the time. And in DS3 I only beat bosses if there was more stuff to explore after them, left a large number living by the end.

5 hours ago, robdood said:

PSA - this is also for PC Dark 3 players so will post there, some exploit has been found inthe game's coed that allows a hacker to reun executables on your PC.  GREAT! 

TLDR - Bamco have tkaen servers down today to investigate.  The same eploit would theoritcally be in Elden Ring since it shares some the same codebase. 

nglqxx1zp6d81.png

Allegedly the community PC multiplayer hack prevention tool Blue Sentinel has already been upgraded to prevent it (Blue Sentinel will basically be essential for PC Elden Ring players imo), but with any luck it'll be fix by From ahead of then. 

image.png

good to know...of course, ive been banned from online for so long i cant remember playing online! lol

On 22/01/2022 at 00:31, Vemsie said:

A From game without bosses would be awful. They make the most memorable bosses in all of gaming and that rush you get when defeating them is unrivalled. More bosses, please. Man, Sword Saint Isshin was such an amazing fight :wub:

(you could stealth most of the mini bosses in Sekiro BTW)

I completely agree with you. The bosses practically are the game! :wub:

The bosses used to be a highlight, in Demon's, Dark 1 and Bloodborne. They became really annoying in Dark 3 and Sekiro, tedious things that don't know when to die. I'd be happy if they went back to the Demon's/Dark style of boss, where it's more about figuring out a trick or using the environment to your advantage than standing in a big square room learning lengthy combos. And just one health bar, please - no need for that multi-phase nonsense.

From the beta thing, I don't think there's going to be any really clever stuff going on with the bosses in Elden Ring, certainly not the indoor ones anyway. They're still just enclosed fights in a big room. But loads of them are optional and relatively short - the kind you can win simply by figuring out the right approach. While the compulsory ones should be less common. Still, the one in the beta was an absolute bastard, but if you go off and fully explore the area first you'll be in much better shape to take him on. And there's summoning - both actual humans and the various AI ash creatures you can conjure up.

Nioh did bosses better. 

Granted, the From bosses are scary, and fit the lore perfectly. But mechanically they are pretty flawed. They are tricky to read and learn. 

i noticed this when I played Nioh and actually bothered to think about learning the boss patterns. When I play Dark Souls I usually find them very tricky to find patterns and fight the camera more than the boss. 

There are some exceptions. Dark Souls 2 probably had the biggest ratio of actually fun bosses. 

And Genishiro was amazing. 

3 hours ago, BadgerFarmer said:

Still, the one in the beta was an absolute bastard, but if you go off and fully explore the area first you'll be in much better shape to take him on.

I don’t know if this is

Spoiler

Margit the Fell Omen

but I basically ran into him and had some proper attempts during the final day of the beta. I think the time pressure added to the usual stress I experience with these games :lol: so I was trying to rush him down and got destroyed for it. I did get pretty close though; without the time limit I could probably get it down.

Yeah, him. I spent about an hour on it failing then went off to explore the rest of the map. It still took me nearly an hour ever after that, but at least I was doing reasonable damage by then.

40 minutes ago, Lovelyman said:

Nioh did bosses better. 

I think Nioh 2 especially gets it right. It finds a much more interesting way of doing the multi-phase thing by having them move back and forth into the Yokai dimension, where they become tougher but can also be damaged more.

6 minutes ago, GamesGamesGames said:

I hope Elden Ring has a boss or two just wandering the open world. Perhaps it's advantageous to engage them in particular environments/locations, but they have a big old hood to wander.

Spoiler

Can confirm this is the case.

4 hours ago, BadgerFarmer said:

The bosses used to be a highlight, in Demon's, Dark 1 and Bloodborne. They became really annoying in Dark 3 and Sekiro, tedious things that don't know when to die. I'd be happy if they went back to the Demon's/Dark style of boss, where it's more about figuring out a trick or using the environment to your advantage than standing in a big square room learning lengthy combos. And just one health bar, please - no need for that multi-phase nonsense.

Apart from the

Spoiler

Princes and final boss

were there any multi-health bar bosses in Dark Souls 3? Other than the first of those I've mentioned above I don't recall having trouble with the DkS3 bosses and I'm no Souls-pro... I found Bloodborne's bosses much tougher.

I don't think their bosses are ever unfair, with perhaps a very rare exception like Bed of Chaos. Dark Souls 3 and Sekiro have amazing bosses in my opinion. Two Princes, Sister Friede, Dancer of the Boreal Valley, Slave Knight Gael, Darkeater Midr, Nameless King, Lady Butterfly, True Monk, Owl, Genichiro Ashina, Guardian Ape and Sword Saint Isshin are some of the best bosses in any game, ever.
Nioh's bosses are nowhere near as memorable. What is this madness. 

DS3 was my first and favourite Souls game (actually, I played a fair bit of Bloodborne), but I agree its bosses are the best and most memorable. Two Princes, Aldrich, Dancer, all fantastic.

The music, arena design and overall atmosphere of the Princes fight is just incredible.

5 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

I don't think their bosses are ever unfair, with perhaps a very rare exception like Bed of Chaos. Dark Souls 3 and Sekiro have amazing bosses in my opinion. Two Princes, Sister Friede, Slave Knight Gael, Darkeater Midr, Nameless King, Lady Butterfly, True Monk, Owl, Genichiro Ashina, Guardian Ape and Sword Saint Isshin are some of the best bosses in any game, ever.
Nioh's bosses are nowhere near as memorable. What is this madness. 

I am with you 100% when it comes to Sekiro. 

I hated the game upon release, even as a huge From fan but Christmas of that year I decided to sit down with it, and when it clicked it was frightening how good it is. 

Bar the flame demon and Ape the rest of the bosses are just genius in terms of pattern recognition. Ape is certainly memorable, but didn't utilize the mechanics as well in my opinion! 

Bosses 4 Lyf!

23 minutes ago, SuperCapes said:

I am with you 100% when it comes to Sekiro. 

I hated the game upon release, even as a huge From fan but Christmas of that year I decided to sit down with it, and when it clicked it was frightening how good it is. 

Bar the flame demon and Ape the rest of the bosses are just genius in terms of pattern recognition. Ape is certainly memorable, but didn't utilize the mechanics as well in my opinion! 

Bosses 4 Lyf!

The Demon of Hatred was definitely one of the lesser bosses, though I kinda enjoyed the challenge. Loved the Ape though and not just because of that moment. ;)
The animations of that thing were just brilliant and I liked using the grapple to evade. 

I actually think Sekiro might be their most consistent game in terms of boss quality, Pretty much all of them are bangers. In fact, I think From is getting better at bosses because I'd probably rank them: Sekiro -> DS3 (with DLC)-> Bloodborne (with DLC). Their first three games don't compare at all imo. Demon's had a few fun gimmicky bosses but not that many exceptional ones and DS and DS2 are very mixed at best. For every Sir Alonne, Artorias or Sif there's a Royal Rat Authority, Bed of Chaos or Capra Demon.

I obviously have high hopes for Elden Ring. :)

Well this spiralled off into an interesting tangent.  I don't think the bosses are bad (especially in the more recent games), though I'd agree with Vemsie that Sekiro's bosses are their best.  Last boss Isshin is freakin' amazing in that game.  It's long but I loved it. 

Elden Ring seems very interesting in terms of the new block/attack mechanics, things like heavy attacks, the attack-after-blocking, and jumping attack dealing big posture damage is really cool, bosses being reliably, repeatably knocked for crits is definitely a good thing.  If anything my biggest gripe with bosses in games prior to Sekiro was that the mechanics like parrying don't really work against them. 

2 hours ago, Superunknown said:

Apart from the

Hide contents

Princes and final boss

were there any multi-health bar bosses in Dark Souls 3? Other than the first of those I've mentioned above I don't recall having trouble with the DkS3 bosses and I'm no Souls-pro... I found Bloodborne's bosses much tougher.

Nameless King and Abyss Watchers too (and probably some in the DLC). Can't stand them. When the bosses are the kind that take time to learn, the last thing I want is to have to repeat a long sequence I've already figured out every time I want to get to the bit I haven't. There were also too many big guy in a square room type fights in DS3. And, yeah, I just found them really hard, like it wanted me to play like Bloodborne but without the moves to do it.

1 hour ago, Vemsie said:

For every Sir Alonne, Artorias or Sif there's a Royal Rat Authority, Bed of Chaos or Capra Demon.

Capra Demon? That's one of the best of all. Just the kind of leftfield, ballsy design I like, and guaranteed to have me on edge every time I enter that room. I'd love something as smart as Capra Demon in ER, rather than variations of things we've done a dozen times before. 

• Broker changed the title to Elden Ring - chortlesome japes