IGNORED

Elden Ring - chortlesome japes

Broker

Yeah I think its one thing getting gud, its another avoiding one shots from basically quite a few bits of the end game content/bosses if you neglected vig. I know some of us are better mechanically than others, but I would guess the majority can't do no hit runs of bosses and high level areas without a tonne of needless frustration to go with it. The reward isn't even that high for ignoring it, you get enough runes to comfortably level up some vig on the side (unless ironically if you keep losing your runes due to dying so easily to one shots lol)

30 minutes ago, Rayn said:

When I woke up this morning the first thing that sprung to mind was that I completed my first playthrough of Elden Ring last night. It was a good feeling at first but then it started to dawn on me that I no longer feel the same drive to play the game as before hitting the end of game credits. I basically rinsed the game and killed all major bosses, at least all who give you a trophy for killing them. I'm sure there's a couple of the minor bosses I've not found yet and I might find them some day but for the time being I'm sat here wondering wether to focus on another playthrough straight away or let it rest for a while as I discover other games. 

The thing is, though, is that Elden Ring has made the urge to play any other game rather minimal, I still want to explore The Land Between but there's next to nothing new to explore :(

Tried Horizon Forbidden West for a few hours and I kinda regret not playing it before Elden Ring as it now strikes me as a rather uninspiring Ubi style open worlder. 

This happened to me with the first horizon game and BOTW. I tried playing it a few years later but it just seems so shallow. 

It’s also kinda what’s happened to me with all third person games since playing dark souls. Trying to play assassins creed or Witcher 3 or whatever and the combat is just so unsatisfying. 

5 minutes ago, Broker said:

This happened to me with the first horizon game and BOTW. I tried playing it a few years later but it just seems so shallow. 

It’s also kinda what’s happened to me with all third person games since playing dark souls. Trying to play assassins creed or Witcher 3 or whatever and the combat is just so unsatisfying. 

Try Nioh 2 if you haven't already. It's basically a 6/10 Souls game level-wise (serviceable but unspectacular) but the combat is 10/10 with an absolutely ludicrous amount of depth. I have 70 hours in it and feel like a beginner.

1 hour ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Is there any reason to keep the remembrances if you don't want the gear you can get from the old bag? Best to just cash them in? 

If you aren't going to use them for weapons/armour etc then take them to a mausoleum, duplicate them and then use both copies for a ton of runes. Note you can only dupe once per mausoleum and there's 2 different types. The ones with a bell differ from the ones without and are used for different types of remembrance.

4 hours ago, robdood said:

He will be there for you, you just haven't walked close enough to his spawn location 

Im almost certain that isnt the case… I went the side route up to The Tree Twins, so I went  across the exact same location.

7 minutes ago, kempstar said:

Im almost certain that isnt the case… I went the side route up to The Tree Twins, so I went  across the exact same location.

Hey you could be right, I'm just letting you know what I think is true.  As far as I know:

Spoiler

Margit outside the capital always spawns, irrespective of even whether you've beaten him at stormveil.  I think if you beat Morgot (a later game boss) then Margit will be removed from the game (even if he is undefeated at stormveil).

there's a rubbish zombie enemy that transforms into him when you get close.  It's a pretty large area, so it is plausible you missed it. 

Just now, robdood said:

Hey you could be right, I'm just letting you know what I think is true.  As far as I know:

Hide contents

Margit outside the capital always spawns, irrespective of even whether you've beaten him at stormveil.  I think if you beat Morgot (a later game boss) then Margit will be removed from the game (even if he is undefeated at stormveil).

Hmmm, I did wonder that, but I hadnt beaten

Spoiler

Morgot

At that point, as it was before arriving at The Capital.

Either that or I just dont remember fighting Margit there (unlikely, but possible with wine).

36 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

I've started to skim a few "12 things you might have missed in..." type videos, as once I've finished the game I'll be gorging on guides anyway, and I'm nearly there. 

Wow. There's so much. Some minor examples:

Limgrave:

Reveal hidden contents

Specifically at Warmaster's Shack:

Reveal hidden contents

There's a fucking boss/invader who spawns at night, if you rest at the grace. Gave me a Bell Bearing.

One also appears at night in

Spoiler

The Church with a Giant Tortoise in, West of the Lakes 

10 minutes ago, robdood said:

Hide contents

there's a rubbish zombie enemy that transforms into him when you get close.  It's a pretty large area, so it is plausible you missed it. 

He was there for me after I beat Morgot.

Still stuck on fire giant as I have been since Friday. 

Done a bit of wandering though and finally found the sewers properly in Leyndell. 

Really enjoyed exploring but still haven't found that catacomb. 

1 hour ago, Timmo said:

Try Nioh 2 if you haven't already. It's basically a 6/10 Souls game level-wise (serviceable but unspectacular) but the combat is 10/10 with an absolutely ludicrous amount of depth. I have 70 hours in it and feel like a beginner.

Good shout on Nioh 2.  Great game.  I’m moving over to Stranger of Paradise after Elden Ring myself, as there are various similar mechanics and depth to combat (largely thanks to there being some shared key dev team members between SoP and Nioh 2), and also, it’s a game that dances to its own tune in terms of creative direction, which I like.  In SoP’s case, said tune involves ol’ blue eyes himself!

24 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

He was there for me after I beat Morgot.

How weird!  I only guessed because:

Spoiler

I know that if you leave Margit at stormveil alive, then beat morgot, then come back to stormveil, Margit has vanished!  Because they are obviously the same person. 

Maybe the one outside the capital is a spirit type thingy? GOD KNOWS. 

I love weird stuff like this though. none of it will be by accident. 

1 hour ago, dug said:

Last boss talk:

Hide contents

I'm surprised by the number of people who didn't get on with the final boss. It's essentially just a dragon fight, isn't it? It's what all the other dragon fights in the game were training you for. 

My big dumb strength build didn't have any problem with it, just ran up and twatted it with my big swords, while rolling through the swipes and slams and running away from the lightning and fire. And a combination of running away from and rolling through those homing golden magic attacks.

Pretty much the same tactics as any other dragon fight. I can see how someone could have problems with it if they hadn't fought many previous dragons, or had only fought them on horseback, because fighting them on foot is a very different proposition. Or if their VIG was too low. In previous Souls games I would rarely level VIG above about 20, but in Elden Ring 40 is the bare minimum for end game stuff, or absolutely everything will one shot you. Personally, I had 50 VIG first time I got there, so maybe the people who struggled had much less than that.

I think it's a great fight, visually stunning, mechanically challenging but familiar, due to the many dragon fights. And I like the lore implications, in that it appears that it is some being from the deep cosmos and it came to the world and took control, and it's body shape kind of imprinted itself into the life of the world and created the dragons. Or at least that's how I see it. Could be bollocks, obviously.

See, I walloped all the dragons in the game on the first attempt, bar the CFA boss which fell after a few attempts. Everyone would like to attribute their win to skill/learning lessons, etc, but it's so ridiculously dependent on your build, weapons, level, etc. I was banging my head against Malenia for days, respecced and whomped her first time which really hammered that home. I mean, yeah you can be a god gamer and speedrun the game at level 1, but most of us aren't at that level.

The bosses themselves are also wildly inconsistent. Sometimes Malenia wouldn't Waterfowl Dance at all, other times she would spam it. RNG could be the basis of a lot of my wins. Not to mention Radahn and Ulcerated Tree Spirit glitched out completely and didn't attack. Other bosses can break too.

Anybody else have the Lake of R spoiler

Spoiler

Ulcerated tree spirit kill itself when you get near the exit? I was up on the pillars when this enemy health bar appeared and went down. I just stayed still until 13k health disappeared, it died, and I got a golden seed. Didn't even see it, I had to look it up online to see what it was.

38 minutes ago, cassidy said:

Still stuck on fire giant as I have been since Friday. 

I was stuck on him for ages as well. When I finally beat him I was able to do so without getting hit once as it turned out that I found a way to cheese him by accident. 

I'll spoiler the cheese method if you insist on taking him on fair and square: 

Spoiler

At the beginning of the fight I simply mounted the horse and rode straight towards him. Just as he does the first slam attack I timed the dismount so that the iframes kept me safe from damage. Then mount up again and ride to the top of the hill and slightly to the right, where you'll find yourself on top of a cliff with a plateau right beneath you. As the boss keeps getting closer and closer he'll eventually start an attack, as soon as the animation for his attack starts simply jump off the cliff and time the double jump so that you land safely below. Ride slightly away from the cliff behind you and turn around. As the boss gets on top of the ledge, close to where you jumped down, ride (or walk) slowly towards him to taunt, eventually he'll fall down and lose all his HP. Rinse and repeat for phase two. 

15 minutes ago, robdood said:

How weird!  I only guessed because:

Hide contents

I know that if you leave Margit at stormveil alive, then beat morgot, then come back to stormveil, Margit has vanished!  Because they are obviously the same person. 

Maybe the one outside the capital is a spirit type thingy? GOD KNOWS. 

I love weird stuff like this though. none of it will be by accident. 

I only found him as I was summoned to help fight him before I'd found him and wondered WTF he was doing there! I hadn't got the that area yet but had my Blue Cipher Ring activated and was very near the location. After beating him I spawned back to where I was and had to fight him in my own game a few seconds later lol.

5 minutes ago, Rayn said:

I was stuck on him for ages as well. When I finally beat him I was able to do so without getting hit once as it turned out that I found a way to cheese him by accident. 

Hide contents

At the beginning of the fight I simply mounted the horse and rode straight towards him. Just as he does the first slam attack I timed the dismount so that the iframes kept me safe from damage. Then mount up again and ride to the top of the hill and slightly to the right, where you'll find yourself on top of a cliff with a plateau right beneath you. As the boss keeps getting closer and closer he'll eventually start an attack, as soon as the animation for his attack starts simply jump off the cliff and time the double jump so that you land safely below. Ride slightly away from the cliff behind you and turn around. As the boss gets on top of the ledge, close to where you jumped down, ride (or walk) slowly towards him to taunt, eventually he'll fall down and lose all his HP. Rinse and repeat for phase two. 

I've nearly gotten him so many times and have perfected phase 1 now. I will try the cheese though. 

25 minutes ago, cassidy said:

I've nearly gotten him so many times and have perfected phase 1 now. I will try the cheese though. 

I think they fixed that cheese unfortunately.

3 minutes ago, Nimmel said:

I think they fixed that cheese unfortunately.

I shall not argue that as I don't actually know but checking the official patch notes there's no mention of that specific fight. The only mention of the Fire Giant that I could find in the patch notes was a bug that prevented players from moving on after the fight. 

1 minute ago, Rayn said:

I shall not argue that as I don't actually know but checking the official patch notes there's no mention of that specific fight. The only mention of the Fire Giant that I could find in the patch notes was a bug that prevented players from moving on after the fight. 

When I tried the cheese in NG+ it didn't work for me, a quick check on YouTube revealed a new cheese method people are using which is painfully slow but fairly easy to do. In the end I sucked it up and did the fight properly i.e. threw moons at it until it died.

1 hour ago, Rayn said:

Reveal hidden contents

They patched that shit out man. 

I’m finding fighting everything solo with no shield pretty interesting. Outside of Radahn nothing has been really difficult so far, with my two katanas slapping most enemies pretty easily. 

I've never really done duel* wielding in one of these games before.  Am I right in thinking that if I duel wield, but use the right shoulder buttons (R1 and R2), I'm just using my main weapon as normal, with no benefit, but if I use L1, it does an attack with both?

* it's 'dual' isn't it?  Unless you're invading...

36 minutes ago, Ste Pickford said:

I've never really done duel wielding in one of these games before.  Am I right in thinking that if I duel wield, but use the right shoulder buttons (R1 and R2), I'm just using my main weapon as normal, with no benefit, but if I use L1, it does an attack with both?

Correctish 

Jump and L1 uses both as well, it's a nice handy move as well. 

Just now, Benny said:

I actually find dual wielding very difficult because I'm so used to muscle memory with attacking on R1.

I do attack with R1 though? For my right hand weapon? 

Yeah I had a shit time trying to use Bloodhound Step at the very end of the game for the same reason. Although now that I think about it I could have remapped L2 to O :seanr: 

I'm copying remembrances now so I decided I'd make my way from the Mausoleaum in the south to the 2 in north Luirnia on foot killing everyone I see using un-upgraded skeleton arm claw things and only healing / regaining FP using backstabs. Good fun so far. Lots of dancing around the big groups of baddies in stormveil. 

19 minutes ago, Benny said:

I actually find dual wielding very difficult because I'm so used to muscle memory with attacking on R1.

Opposite problem having just switched from uchigatana/wakizashi to Eleonara's wotsit; I keep aggressively blocking at them when muscle memory is trying to deal chip bleed damage ^_^