IGNORED

Elden Ring - chortlesome japes

Broker

21 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

The cheekiest part of the Malenia fight is her healing when you block her attacks. It really punished a defensive playstyle. 

Yeah, I didn’t want to spell it out in case people wanted the surprise but it’s about as nice a surprise as treading in a dog egg, so maybe forewarned is forearmed. 

I guess…just don’t block or get hit? Does she also heal if she hits your mimic? 

She heals if she hits the mimic, yes. The only way to stop her heal is not get hit or even block a hit, or do enough damage quickly enough than her own attacks won’t get it all back. She’s basically a Bloodborne player character with the health rally mechanic. 

Guys. I have some bad news. I'm afraid if you defeated Radann in the last few weeks you're going to have to delete your save. 

I'm gutted because it affects me too. 

🥺😭

2 minutes ago, Lovelyman said:

Guys. I have some bad news. I'm afraid if you defeated Radann in the last few weeks you're going to have to delete your save. 

I'm gutted because it affects me too. 

🥺😭

April 1st was three days ago, chum. 

3 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

April 1st was three days ago, chum. 

I totally know that, there was a toothpaste sandwich in a chest in Limgrave.

I'm referring to the unfortunate accidental nerfing of Radahn. As we have established beyond doubt by the Dark Souls people on this forum, any concession to accessibility or making the games easier to allow more people to progress would incontrovertibly and conclusively make the games utterly shit. 

I'm going to have to start again so I can play the game the creators intended. 

1 minute ago, Doctor Shark said:

Also, having now done Elden ring, ds2 and DS3 back to back, it feels like Elden ring borrows more than a bit from ds2 and actually feels more like the second game than the third. 

In what possible way?! I mean, Dark Souls 2 being absolute dogshite and all…

Also, having now done Elden ring, ds2 and DS3 back to back, it feels like Elden ring borrows more than a bit from ds2 and actually feels more like the second game than the third. 

Agree with this quite hard. 

1 minute ago, Davros sock drawer said:

In what possible way?! I mean, Dark Souls 2 being absolute dogshite and all…

If you genuinely think ds2 is dogshite, I’d hate to see what you think of games that are actually bad. DS2 is a phenomenal game, it’s just different to DS1. 

Just now, Lovelyman said:

Dark Souls 2 is great (I think you're joking, DSD). 

I’m really not. I tried to replay it a while ago and it just hit me how bad it is. The awful drawn out linking areas, the terrible manual aiming of swords when locked on, the gank squads in boss run backs. Awful stuff. 

If you genuinely think ds2 is dogshite, I’d hate to see what you think of games that are actually bad. DS2 is a phenomenal game, it’s just different to DS1. 

I don’t just think it’s a bad Dark Souls game, I think it’s a bad game full stop.

The fucking iframes don’t even work unless you level up ADP or whatever it is! 

Just now, Davros sock drawer said:

I’m really not. I tried to replay it a while ago and it just hit me how bad it is. The awful drawn out linking areas, the terrible manual aiming of swords when locked on, the gank squads in boss run backs. Awful stuff. 

Fair enough! I haven't replayed it but I also think that I was ready for it when it came out. DS3 just felt a bit of a letdown to me at the time. I've not replayed either. 

5 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

If the devs put it in the game as a mechanic, and you use it, you’re playing the game as the creators intended. You are not cheating, or cheesing, or making it easy, or doing it wrong. You’re choosing to use the tools the game gives you.

Exactly what I tell myself each time I use my un-nerfed Hoarfrost Stomp in my un-updated version of the game.

Repeating it like a mantra just about keeps the bubbling, upwelling magma of shame tamped down for a wee while longer.

Urgh, had a really rubbish time tonight, feeling really unskillful and crap.  Way behind all you end game lot, but not really getting anywhere.  Tried some more with the Godskin Nobel, but my best attempt was getting him down to 50%.  Feel like I can't really take a boss on without summons to help me, so went elsewhere. Got to the Regal Ancestor Spirit and my best go there was getting him down to 50%.   

Went and killed that train with the giants pulling a carriage along a road in Limgrave to make me feel better. At least I could kill them!

44 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

I’m as big a dark souls/from soft fan as anyone so let me tell you this:

if the devs put it in the game as a mechanic, and you use it, you’re playing the game as the creators intended. You are not cheating, or cheesing, or making it easy, or doing it wrong. You’re choosing to use the tools the game gives you. Summons, ashes, coop, whatever. It’s all legitimate, it all counts. If you win, that’s what matters. If you lose, what matters is that you learned something new to apply to help you win. There is no “right” or “wrong” way to play - just the way that makes you have the most fun. 

1 minute ago, Ste Pickford said:

Urgh, had a really rubbish time tonight, feeling really unskillful and crap.  Way behind all you end game lot, but not really getting anywhere.  Tried some more with the Godskin Nobel, but my best attempt was getting him down to 50%.  Feel like I can't really take a boss on without summons to help me, so went elsewhere. Got to the Regal Ancestor Spirit and my best go there was getting him down to 50%.   

Went and killed that train with the giants pulling a carriage along a road in Limgrave to make me feel better. At least I could kill them!

See what I said up there. Nothing wrong with using summons. It is literally what they are there for! 

There are two types of skill to beat Elden Ring

1: Mechanical Skill

This is how people do no hit and SL1 runs. Technically you can avoid 99 percent of damage never need armour, a shield and low stats. If you have a good amount of this, the game will be easy

2: Strategy of using the games tool skill

You can use the many many many build options, weapon arts, upgrade paths, summon real help, summon ashes help, use distance/range if you struggle with close melee combat etc

Obviously a mix of both will make it easiest but if you're hitting a wall, maybe switch things up. You don't need to go full on 99 INT Azur Comet caster, some spells/incantations have very very low req and can be useful. Some faith based buffs can completely change your physical damage (2 buffs together can increase phys damage by 40 percent)

I've never had the best mechanical skill but I've been doing 2 since Demon's Souls on the PS3 and I can safely say this game has more of 2 than anything ever before. I have rarely ever been frustrated by this game, ever, because of the sheer amount of tools. I found God of War on the PS4 more challenging than this lol because you either gotta git good or lower the difficulty in that game. Here, you control the difficulty slider.

Finished Nekron tonight and moved onto the next place.  Still working through this area but getting loads of runes for my troubles! Fire breathing\throwing things give loads of runes for no bother at all. 

Boss at the end of Nekron was a sod, so when it decided to jump off the waterfall to its death I did let out a chuckle.

Progressed a few quests tonight as well so feel a bit better. By better I mean every quest is awful and everything is horrible. 

Onwards!

1 hour ago, Doctor Shark said:

if the devs put it in the game as a mechanic, and you use it, you’re playing the game as the creators intended. You are not cheating, or cheesing, or making it easy, or doing it wrong. You’re choosing to use the tools the game gives you. Summons, ashes, coop, whatever. It’s all legitimate, it all counts. If you win, that’s what matters. If you lose, what matters is that you learned something new to apply to help you win. There is no “right” or “wrong” way to play - just the way that makes you have the most fun. 

21 minutes ago, Uzi said:

2: Strategy of using the games tool skill

You can use the many many many build options, weapon arts, upgrade paths, summon real help, summon ashes help, use distance/range if you struggle with close melee combat etc

I think sentiments like this show that ER has a lot of work put into a whole bunch of "difficulty sliders" - sliders that other Soulsbornekiros may have shared, but none of them were this thorough about it. When I hit a wall with the last boss I could identify a potential alternative strategy; I changed the primary weapon in my equipment, did a respec, took 10 points out of Vitality/Endurance/Strength so that I had 30 to go towards Mind, and then the new Weapon Art options made things seem much more manageable. And I was using summon ashes at the same time. Again, it's nothing that hasn't been done by From before, but the amount of discoverable and adjustable stuff in here means that the options open to you can be as overwhelming as your next barrier to progress. It can still be hard, but this game lets you spend more time fucking around with alternative approaches or making new discoveries.

1 minute ago, Qazimod said:

I think sentiments like this show that ER has a lot of work put into a whole bunch of "difficulty sliders" - sliders that other Soulsbornekiros may have shared, but none of them were this thorough about it. When I hit a wall with the last boss I could identify a potential alternative strategy; I changed the primary weapon in my equipment, did a respec, took 10 points out of Vitality/Endurance/Strength so that I had 30 to go towards Mind, and then the new Weapon Art options made things seem much more manageable. And I was using summon ashes at the same time. Again, it's nothing that hasn't been done by From before, but the amount of discoverable and adjustable stuff in here means that the options open to you can be as overwhelming as your next barrier to progress. It can still be hard, but this game lets you spend more time fucking around with alternative approaches or making new discoveries.

Nicely put!

I think the biggest concession to accessibility - and it’s a great one - is that if you are cock blocked by a boss, you can just go off and do something else, which was only ever partly true in previous games (ie you could go grind areas you’d already done to try and push the numbers in your favour). Here you can go off and have hours worth of adventures before looping back round to do the thing you were stuck on without it necessarily feeling like a grind. 

53 minutes ago, Ste Pickford said:

My advice would be to just go explore somewhere else and come back to that dude later as he is pretty fierce. I would also recommend switching up and playing with other weapons if that isn't something you do already. I've moderately levelled up a double sword thing that does fire damage, a magic damage sword, and a cold axe just to give  me elemental damage to experiment with. The fire and magic weapons, despite not being anything like as upgraded as my usual go to +17 broad sword, have proven REALLY useful and are becoming my defaults. I shall try the ice axe when I remember.

I only encountered Godskin Noble over the weekend and think i am a little way ahead of you in time played (140 hours or so ish and currently  Level 115) as I seem to have half a dozen distractions on the go at any one time whether they be bosses, hard sections, loot I can't reach, etc. I seem to spend each session doing anything other than moving the story on as I keep finding new things, that lead to more things and more, and more before then just nipping back to X spot as I remember there was something there I needed to do and that leads to another three hour detour, etc. I did finish up in Volcano Manor earlier (as far as I can tell at least - no more locked doors and all the visible loot has been nabbed) so am pretty pleased with that. Also made really hard work of a Putrid Guardian that took me seven or eight attempts just through my own carelessness. Ended up piling up the runes though as the route to him runs past loads of 1100 rune each guardians that I could not resist killing every time. 

Need to pop back to those towers and see if anything has changed and then that horrific lake needs to be looked at properly. I also have a boss in the Capital that gave me a few kickings the other day so he's on the list too). 

I tell you what does annoy me  and that is jumping down tree branches and the like - so many deaths I had an actual rage quit. Made it eventually though for some OK loot...

What a game this is.

Gone back to basics and started a new play through on PC as an Astrologer. I love Limgrave so much. Done an hour or so, picked up jellyfish, and wolves. Tried Margit a few times with the wolves, Rogier and a purely Magic Pebble attack, and couldn’t quite do it. First time with Aurelia and nailed Madge with ease. Love that damn jellyfish.

Such an amazing thing is Elden Ring.

Finally beat the last boss. Huzzah! It was one of those weird ones where it was surprisingly easy the one time I beat him. I did go get a couple more holy resistance items and the two big buff spells for damage. I’m not sure though, I think it was luck. I wouldn’t want to try and pull it off again..

I still thinks it’s an awful boss to end on though. Very unsatisfying and having the credits roll while I’m sat in fleshy flesh suit and a mirrored helmet isn’t how I wanted my reign to begin. The populace would be absolutely terrified..

Spoiler

If I’d left anyone alive!!