IGNORED

Elden Ring - chortlesome japes

Broker

Decided it's time to start giving some sorceries a go after meleeing my way through the game so far. I'm pretty smart for a fighter (28 intelligence ) and up to the Halligtree area so should be able to use some semi-decent spells right? There's so many of them though, any recommendations for what I should be looking to pick up?

1 hour ago, rgraves said:

Well well done you. To me, dropping all that way down in the tower for one and going through multiple fake walls to another is pretty mental yes. I'd say for most players, there is A LOT in this game that's wildly obfuscated. I mean, who really has the time (or wants to use that time even if they do have it) to hit virtually every wall in case it does something. Fuck that.

1 hour ago, kempstar said:

I found 3/8. That video is awesome!

Sorry, I wasn't saying the video was bad, and I didn't mean to come across as I may have done.  I guess, as @Benny alluded to above, I'm a very thorough person when it comes to exploring!  I can't imaging playing a game like this WIHTOUT doing that, I'd just feel hopelessly lost and confused all the time, and that would be HORRIBLE :D

And as @El Spatula says, the secret walls is something you kinda get a feeling for.  ESPECIALLY in the case of something like Sages cave.  Every cave or catacomb or mini dungeon you go into has a a boss and treasure at the end.  By the time you reach Altus you should have noticed this.  If you think you've fully explored somewhere and not fought a boss, you're missing something! 

24 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

My current boss options are Captain Neil (or whatever it is) and the boringly named Fire Giant. I've been this close to victory so many goddamn times and for some reason neither of them have a Marika statue near them so I have to push forward for an uneventful minute just to get back to them. Granted this is miles better than getting back to a boss in previous Souls games but it's still a pain in the arse.

I've also got Rykard and the Hateful Shiteater, but I've completely forgotten how to get to the sewers in the capital now.

As an aside I just love going back to previous locations which gave me a right shoeing and annihilating everyone. It's like finally standing up to a bully or something.

Fire giant has a bonfire outside one of the entrances to the arena - there's more than one!

For Neil, there a shortcut you can take form one bonfire where you run straight out a door, drop down then ride the lift up to the boss door, that one is a bit annoying, but quite quick once you know it. 

2 hours ago, Strafe said:

I think I get this now and yes, he’s long dead!

Nice! I didn't want to reply again in case you hadn't and I spoiled it. 

8 minutes ago, robdood said:

For Neil, there a shortcut you can take form one bonfire where you run straight out a door, drop down then ride the lift up to the boss door, that one is a bit annoying, but quite quick once you know it. 

Yes, it was still rather tedious though. But anyway, fuck you captain Neil! Finally killed his stupid ass. 

10 minutes ago, therearerules said:

Worst run for me is to the downwards platforming cages in the lava. The only thing currently I've accepted I can't do.

Hmm I don't remember this one.  Volcano manor? I don't remember platforming over cages at all!! 

38 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

My current boss options are Captain Neil (or whatever it is) and the boringly named Fire Giant. I've been this close to victory so many goddamn times and for some reason neither of them have a Marika statue near them so I have to push forward for an uneventful minute just to get back to them. Granted this is miles better than getting back to a boss in previous Souls games but it's still a pain in the arse.

I've also got Rykard and the Hateful Shiteater, but I've completely forgotten how to get to the sewers in the capital now.

As an aside I just love going back to previous locations which gave me a right shoeing and annihilating everyone. It's like finally standing up to a bully or something.

Fire Giant has a bonfire nearby…. And it has a Marika statue close to it too! Its like 5 metres away, kind of towards Fire Giant, from the bonfire. Its easily missed in the snow.

Edit: Actually I might be thinking of a summoning pool

5 minutes ago, kempstar said:

I dont understand why he just randomly appeared there (in Capital Outskirts) then? Do you know why?

I'm not sure exactly, but probably something to do with Morgott, who you fight in the Capital.  

Spoiler

i.e. they are so obviously the same person, I'm just not sure why one is 'fell omen' and the other is 'omen king'.  Very odd.   Mayb Margit isn't 'real' and is projected / conjured by someone/thing?

Yay! I killed something taller than me! The guy by the fire down on the beach.

I'm assuming I should keep away from the huge, tentacled monstrosities on the shoreline.

25 minutes ago, robdood said:

Every cave or catacomb or mini dungeon you go into has a a boss and treasure at the end.  By the time you reach Altus you should have noticed this.  If you think you've fully explored somewhere and not fought a boss, you're missing something! 

Except that particular cave does already have a boss, you would have maybe already fought the boss. It's a second boss behind multiple fake walls - which I think qualifies as a bit 'niche' in terms of people finding (or expecting to find) it.

Being frank, you're not a 'regular joe' in this conversation - your understanding and familiarity with the FSU (From Software Universe) does mean you're likely to find things a little more fully than most average players 😉

1 hour ago, Doctor Shark said:

They've un-nerfed Radahn - apparently them making him super easy was unintended so now he's back to where he was previously.

Ha! I beat him yesterday and that was quite hard enough, thank you very much :)

1 hour ago, Doctor Shark said:

They've un-nerfed Radahn - apparently them making him super easy was unintended so now he's back to where he was previously.

I did wonder what the fuss was about when I beat him. Got him first go and the summons did most of the work.

Would like to go back and see what he's like now.

Almost done with second playthrough and only achievements left are two of the endings. Will do the backup save trick to trigger them both and should have seen everything and all the side quests I am aware of and care about to its end. I went back and played some Dark Souls 2 and 3 after 100 hours here. Yuck. Ruined. 

I mean they're still good games, but they feel so wrong. Pressing A/X for stuff is so so wrong now.  

35 minutes ago, rgraves said:

Except that particular cave does already have a boss, you would have maybe already fought the boss. It's a second boss behind multiple fake walls - which I think qualifies as a bit 'niche' in terms of people finding (or expecting to find) it.

Being frank, you're not a 'regular joe' in this conversation - your understanding and familiarity with the FSU (From Software Universe) does mean you're likely to find things a little more fully than most average players 😉

I helped 2 people kill that boss, then got really confused when I went to kill it in my world and instead headed to the other boss. Almost died out of suprise, then helped two people find both bosses.

6 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

I’m not sure I’ve read much praise for the Haligtree and subsequent areas yet? I got stuck into it yesterday and it’s one of the tightest, most relentless areas From have ever done I think. They very sneakily fill it with fairly soft mobs at the start who make you quite cocky but nevertheless chip away at your flasks, and then hit you with several hard bastards (literally, in the case of the Crystal dudes) who rapidly rob you of your remaining flasks, plus three of those cunts who are nothing but arms, legs, and screaming. Made it as far as the Drainage Channel but it was super tense and I noped past a load of enemies, and loot, so I’ll have to come back. 

One of the best areas of the game, IMO.

Yes, it’s a total Rivendell place. I fought my way through almost to the next grace, then decided to leg it on subsequent attempts. Noted a lot of items all fitted about, so I’ll be going back and exploring. I finally seem to be able to do decent damage to cunts with shields, so it’s not been too bad. 

6 hours ago, imp said:

I couldn’t kill her with a tanky great shield strategy, as you say she heals too much. I’ve killed her dual wielding two great swords though which wasn’t bad at all. Technically that was a faith build, as my swords mainly scaled from that attribute, but it wasn’t like I was flinging spells at her. I’m sure you could do it as a mainly strength build with enough faith for a couple of buffs - here are the important parts of the build:

Reveal hidden contents

It mainly relies on jumping attacks, so boosting that with the claw talisman and raptor’s black feathers chest armour is essential. Otherwise wear the heaviest armour you can and still medium roll.

Other good talismans to use are the green turtle for stamina recovery and the dragoncrest greatshield for increased physical damage negation.

I also used a mimic+10 and the incantations Golden Vow (increased attack and defence) and Flame Grant Me Stength (increased damage and fire damage).

SHE HEALS??? I had a few goes on her last night. I can get about a 6th of health off in second phase so far. Is there anyone else playing a shieldless melee build with no magic??? :lol: I want some tips lol. Apart from get the fuck out of dodge when she leaps. 

5 hours ago, Rayn said:

I've not played since thursday night. I spent the majority of my last session on the final boss. I usually get to phase two without a lot of trouble, but I rarely get to take out more than a third of its healthbar before wiping, it's really starting to do my head in. If my planned session tonight continues in the same fashion I might be tempted to do a search for a cheese method or something. 

I'm sporting a DEX/STR build using a maxed out Bloodhounds Fang and Radahns armour, not sure if I should find some other tools before attempting the fight again? 

This doesn’t bode well for me; I’m the same build. Wondering when I need to venture into new things. 

1 hour ago, therearerules said:

Worst run for me is to the downwards platforming cages in the lava. The only thing currently I've accepted I can't do.

You can avoid most of that by dropping down onto a ledge if it’s the place I’m thinking of. Apologies if not. 

48 minutes ago, rgraves said:

I’m still trying to work out how far the game will let me fall :( 

I killed Malekeith last night after about 10 goes. Level 118 so probably overlevelled, I don’t know. If you can avoid his manic slashes, he’s actually quite squishy to hits.

Worst part of the fight was the tension running back past the bloody tree sentinel. The developers love doing that shit to you.

@robdood where are you in the game? I’d like to see you navigate Haligtree if you’re heading that way soon. Have you done the fire giant yet?

It annoys me I always do my best playing at 3am when I’m not streaming lol.   

2 minutes ago, NexivRed said:

@robdood where are you in the game? I’d like to see you navigate Haligtree if you’re heading that way soon. Have you done the fire giant yet?

I've been playing lots, not felt in mood for streaming last week though. Maybe this week! 

I've reached Haligtree. Not made it much further than the first couple of branches, lol.  I think its the only place bar Farum Azura I have left to go!!  I've started a whole bunch of new characters instead, I don't want to finish :(

I don’t know if I like where my game has gone. I don’t know much about the other endings, but it seems I’ve maybe gone a more destructive path than I had to. I’m a bit sad. Poor Hewg doesn’t know who he is any more :( I’ve become really attached to him. 

I think my partner has managed to duplicate my save file before the Cardinal sin, so maybe I can try something else. Dunno. Just a bit sad. 

2 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

Not on my bloody PS5, they haven't.

5 minutes ago, NexivRed said:

I don’t know if I like where my game has gone. I don’t know much about the other endings, but it seems I’ve maybe gone a more destructive path than I had to. I’m a bit sad. Poor Hewg doesn’t know who he is any more :( I’ve become really attached to him. 

I think my partner has managed to duplicate my save file before the Cardinal sin, so maybe I can try something else. Dunno. Just a bit sad. 

NPCs don't generally get a happy ending in From games :( 

other than the 'now I am dead I am released from this sufferiiiiiing' one. I was quite annoyed by a couple of them in Elden Ring.

10 minutes ago, NexivRed said:

Poor Hewg doesn’t know who he is any more :( I’ve become really attached to him. 

This proper bummed me out last night. Not been back to the Hold for ages, and pop over and Hewg is all: "Who the fuck are you? Hang on, who the fuck am I? Guess I must be a blacksmith... suppose I better smith a bit then." Fucking hell, what have I done?

After that, I genuinely didn't have the heart to talk to summon girl by the fire. :unsure:

16 minutes ago, NexivRed said:

All the endings you can get to all the quests are pretty sad. 

14 minutes ago, Broker said:

All the endings you can get to all the quests are pretty sad. 

I guess the writing was on the wall with Miyazaki to the power of GRRM.