Elden Ring - chortlesome japes

Broker

2 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Yeah, I really don’t agree with that. Loosing close to a levels worth of souls really hurts in this just as it did in any other souls game. It feels exactly the same. 

The only thing that’s different this time round is I’m so used to it after 6 prior games that it’s easier to just deal with it :) 

Yeah, I think that's definitely more the case for me. It still stings, but if you're a Soulsborne veteran you've been there before, and you'll be there again.

Sounds like nearly everyone in this game had a bad time over the weekend!

I didn't get that much time to play, but battered my head against the Godskin Nobel (still can't do him), got past that awful madness tower, killed a couple of different invaders and progressed a load of quest stuff.  Don't feel like I've really made much progress.

I made reasonably good progress, started and nearly finished Nokron. Not the biggest area but I've loved exploring it. Mostly easy enemies but a few hard hitters. 

Nice Surprise Motherfucker Knight moment heading towards one of the bosses, but my cowardly running away meant the knight fell to it's death. I'll take any victory. 

I'm totally flummoxed on the quests though. Theres a guy near the boss who just shrugs, I assume it's linked the guy in the roundtable as they look the same, but I'll be damned if I know what I'm supposed to do. 

There was a whole little section in the Lakes that I'd missed

Spoiler

Albinauric village, hidden underneath the plateau to the south west

and there was a key NPC hanging around there, and a key item, which progressed a bunch of the quests once I cleared that little area out.

I've not played since thursday night. I spent the majority of my last session on the final boss. I usually get to phase two without a lot of trouble, but I rarely get to take out more than a third of its healthbar before wiping, it's really starting to do my head in. If my planned session tonight continues in the same fashion I might be tempted to do a search for a cheese method or something. 

I'm sporting a DEX/STR build using a maxed out Bloodhounds Fang and Radahns armour, not sure if I should find some other tools before attempting the fight again? 

Spent the entire weekend in and below the Capital. 178 hours, level 101, currently sitting in the bottom of the Shunning Grounds figuring out a strategy for the boss down there. Capital mostly done (I think) but still have a green door to tackle. Bit of clearing a couple of Catacombs, some good farming in the War Dead Catacombs and managed to get the Godlsayer's Great Sword from the boss in a tower, but don't like the weapon much. Levelled a few Spirits and really like Banished Knight Engvall.

I've done loads, but the highlight of the game, which I doubt will be beaten, was in Deeproot Depths.

Spoiler

Racing Torrent to the mausoleum, past the ghosts, up the tree, basilisks dropping down, thundering out the chaos to jump, and just making it onto the mausoleum, then hitting the crystals whilst staying on the wandering beast. Proper shadow of the collosus energy.

If the DLC has more of that it'll be pushed into 11/10 territory.

2 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Yeah, I really don’t agree with that. Losing close to a levels worth of souls really hurts in this just as it did in any other souls game. It feels exactly the same. 

The only thing that’s different this time round is I’m so used to it after 6 prior games that it’s easier to just deal with it :) 

I dunno. In the early game, losing 10k souls (almost a level) was a pain. Now losing 120k souls (ditto) is an inconvenience: probably due to the relative rate of acquisition from hitting non-boss/dragon enemies.

Here's the boss I struggled with the most so far, I did this the other week and was determined to see if I could do it with just hits and rolls. Very tough, some of his attacks one-shot me and the dodge roll timings are insane. For me the main problem was just keeping consistency and concentration for the long fight. The terrain also puts a twist on things, get stuck in a hole and it's bad times! 

Capital Outskirts spoilers:

Spoiler

Margit returns! Because I did Margit at the start of the game with summons and used the special item, I felt I'd kind of missed some of the nuances of the fight and move-set. For this rematch though, I had to know everything. Although you can't see in my video, most of his big swings either one-shot me or take off most of my health bar, which is why I'm desperately trying to heal to full where I can. In particular the phase 2 combos with the golden weapons are certain death if you get hit with them, whereas phase 1 is more attrition where you're trying to minimise mistakes so you have more healing for phase 2.

Polygon did an interesting video about what makes Margit hard and watching that made me appreciate that he's a bastard, but a very well thought out and designed bastard. Here's the Polygon vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9MQe7tR5xQ 

And here's my fight, it ended up taking around 8 hours to beat with this setup over two days. It was another tense final battle! If you want to see me getting splatted go earlier in the video! As ever, my stats and equipment are shown at the end.

4 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

Here's the boss I struggled with the most so far, I did this the other week and was determined to see if I could do it with just hits and rolls. Very tough, some of his attacks one-shot me and the dodge roll timings are insane. For me the main problem was just keeping consistency and concentration for the long fight. The terrain also puts a twist on things, get stuck in a hole and it's bad times! 

Hide contents

Margit returns! Because I did Margit at the start of the game with summons and used the special item, I felt I'd kind of missed some of the nuances of the fight and move-set. For this rematch though, I had to know everything. Polygon did an interesting video about what makes Margit hard and watching that made me appreciate that he's a bastard, but a very well thought out and designed bastard. Here's the Polygon vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9MQe7tR5xQ 

And here's my fight, it ended up taking around 8 hours to beat with this setup over two days. If you want to see me getting splatted go earlier in the video! As ever, my stats and equipment are shown at the end.

Hang on a second….. Why is he…. There??? :unsure:

13 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

Hide contents

Margit returns! Because I did Margit at the start of the game with summons and used the special item, I felt I'd kind of missed some of the nuances of the fight and move-set. For this rematch though, I had to know everything. Although you can't see in my video, most of his big swings either one-shot me or take off most of my health bar, which is why I'm desperately trying to heal to full where I can. In particular the phase 2 combos with the golden weapons are certain death if you get hit with them, whereas phase 1 is more attrition where you're trying to minimise mistakes so you have more healing for phase 2.

Polygon did an interesting video about what makes Margit hard and watching that made me appreciate that he's a bastard, but a very well thought out and designed bastard. Here's the Polygon vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9MQe7tR5xQ 

And here's my fight, it ended up taking around 8 hours to beat with this setup over two days. It was another tense final battle! If you want to see me getting splatted go earlier in the video! As ever, my stats and equipment are shown at the end.

Good fight.  But put some points into Vigor, man!! 

Ooh, I'm not going to watch that video yet, but cool that there are others to find. Interesting that not everyone triggers him there. My basic route leading up to him was:

Spoiler

Sneaked past the tree sentinels on the main steps of the city to activate the grace there, but didn't go further in. Then circled around and enterend via the Windmill gate, past the trebuchets and activated the grace just inside the gate. Found Margit soon after. Prior to this I'd taken the tunnel route to reach the plateau, done Caria Manor, the frenzy area, and most of Liunina. I'll have to wait until I finish the game to find out what really triggered him!

Spoilers for end of Capital

Spoiler

Last night I reached the end of Capital (pretty much beelined it, still much exploring to do). And lo and behold, it was Mar the Git (or in this case, the Got) once again, now with an even crazier move-set. Urgh. Hopefully all my practice on Margit version 2 will pay off!

24 minutes ago, robdood said:

Good fight.  But put some points into Vigor, man!! 

Thanks. Yeah I have put some points into Vigor now, I'm at 22 or 23. It was deliberate to set the difficulty higher for myself to have low vigor at that stage, but it's gotten pretty ridiculous and fatiguing on bosses getting one-shot all the time. So I bumped it up, plus I'm sometimes using an HP up talisman where having it can save me from getting one-shotted. I know people are recommending Vigor 30 for around where I am, so if I start to struggle too much I'll bump it up to around that. So far the Capital has been tough but do-able on this Vigor.

26 minutes ago, rgraves said:

THERE BE SPOILERS, but the craziness of the route to some of these 8 optional bosses you may otherwise miss is mental.

Hide contents

I literally found all of those naturally by just thoroughly exploring the game.  Is that stuff really 'mental'?

I think people sometimes don't appreciate that a lot of people just aren't very good at exploring without guides. Not me though, I practically grind across every wall in case of secret doors.

11 minutes ago, robdood said:

I literally found all of those naturally by just thoroughly exploring the game.  Is that stuff really 'mental'?

I found 3/8. That video is awesome!

27 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

Ooh, I'm not going to watch that video yet, but cool that there are others to find. Interesting that not everyone triggers him there. My basic route leading up to him was:

Reveal hidden contents

Sneaked past the tree sentinels on the main steps of the city to activate the grace there, but didn't go further in. Then circled around and enterend via the Windmill gate, past the trebuchets and activated the grace just inside the gate. Found Margit soon after. Prior to this I'd taken the tunnel route to reach the plateau, done Caria Manor, the frenzy area, and most of Liunina. I'll have to wait until I finish the game to find out what really triggered him!

Spoilers for end of Capital

Reveal hidden contents

Last night I reached the end of Capital (pretty much beelined it, still much exploring to do). And lo and behold, it was Mar the Git (or in this case, the Got) once again, now with an even crazier move-set. Urgh. Hopefully all my practice on Margit version 2 will pay off!

Hang on…. So did you fight him at 

Spoiler

Stormveil???

16 minutes ago, robdood said:

Well well done you. To me, dropping all that way down in the tower for one and going through multiple fake walls to another is pretty mental yes. I'd say for most players, there is A LOT in this game that's wildly obfuscated. I mean, who really has the time (or wants to use that time even if they do have it) to hit virtually every wall in case it does something. Fuck that.

On 18/03/2022 at 19:52, Jamie John said:

What if every wall in the game with 'Try attacking' in front of it was really an illusory wall all along? What if the 'Liar ahead' samaritans have really been double-crossing us the entire time?!

italian-spiderman-gif-6.gif.faad0068cbe029812cbc5dc73853bab1.gif

Oh. Fuck.

48 minutes ago, Benny said:

I think people sometimes don't appreciate that a lot of people just aren't very good at exploring without guides. Not me though, I practically grind across every wall in case of secret doors.

If you're exploring with a guide, you're not really exploring, are you? :P 

9 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

If you're exploring with a guide, you're not really exploring, are you? :P 

Well no, exactly. They might think it's exploring, but it isn't. They probably go to Benidorm on holiday.

My current boss options are Captain Neil (or whatever it is) and the boringly named Fire Giant. I've been this close to victory so many goddamn times and for some reason neither of them have a Marika statue near them so I have to push forward for an uneventful minute just to get back to them. Granted this is miles better than getting back to a boss in previous Souls games but it's still a pain in the arse.

I've also got Rykard and the Hateful Shiteater, but I've completely forgotten how to get to the sewers in the capital now.

As an aside I just love going back to previous locations which gave me a right shoeing and annihilating everyone. It's like finally standing up to a bully or something.