IGNORED

Elden Ring - chortlesome japes

Broker

Finally made it to Giant country and managed to get fire giant down after about 10 attempts of getting splatted by his shield or toasted by the floor. 

Had a look around Castle Sol, is there anything really useful in there? As I’m getting well pissed off by the 

Spoiler

Teleporting knights and sniper exploding catapult guys

And I payed 

Spoiler

Commander Niall and his 2 chums a quick visit, and was quickly told where to go!

I think I’ll come back and chat with him later…

17 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

Come on team,everyone stick your signs down and help me best Commander Neil. 

10 minutes ago, Benny said:

What level and platform?

Yeah give us the details and we can assemble a murder squad.

Finally took down Malenia after summoning a guy who had the blood flies spell which I don’t have the stats for. I don’t care. She was really starting to depress me.

Just the final boss left, I think I’ve done most of the things.

7 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Have you been power bombed by Senator Armstrong yet 😅

1 hour ago, Anne Summers said:

Come on team,everyone stick your signs down and help me best Commander Neil. 

Do a running jump R2 attack then roll out of his next attack. Repeat. 

53 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Finally took down Malenia after summoning a guy who had the blood flies spell which I don’t have the stats for. I don’t care. She was really starting to depress me.

Im stuck on this one the final boss. As usual I can take down the first part, but not the second. I have done every other boss in the game, including all the mini bosses solo and pretty much done everything else I wanted to. Very frustrating. I have tried summoning many times, but seem to do better with my mimic.

On 02/04/2022 at 23:42, Retroid said:

I'm going to take a break until next weekend, I'm falling behind with a million real-world tasks and it's hurting my enjoyment of this game.

Alright Retroid I think you had a little too much to drink, let's not be hasty now. *heads up the Volcano*

8 hours ago, Sumire said:

Im stuck on this one the final boss. As usual I can take down the first part, but not the second. I have done every other boss in the game, including all the mini bosses solo and pretty much done everything else I wanted to. Very frustrating. I have tried summoning many times, but seem to do better with my mimic.

In my eventual successful attempt I ended up just trying to be as aggressive as possible (whilst trying not to eat hits) to get as much damage in before my mimic expired. Heavy swings, jump attacks, etc. Also it can be crumpled but I don’t know if that was just me and my build.

7 hours ago, NexivRed said:

Godskin Duo down. Piss easy. 

Knights on the way down to them? Fucking hell. 

Right? It’s a hassle spending resources trying to take them down when you have a boss to deal with, but even if you just try to sprint past you can get tagged. Also, there’s the constant internal monologue of “nonono don’t start your tornado bullshit” when you just want them to try and swing normally.

So then, Malenia and the final boss.

Has anyone beaten both of these with a pure strength greatsword/shield combo?

If so, how? What type of damage, what talismans, what am I missing?

I can’t even get her to her second phase as she just keeps healing off me. And that other bast is just a war of attrition that is mostly me running after the fucker and eating bowls of AoE for brekkie, lunch and dinner.

I really don’t want to respec into Dex or magic/incantations, that’s not this guy.

I’m not sure I’ve read much praise for the Haligtree and subsequent areas yet? I got stuck into it yesterday and it’s one of the tightest, most relentless areas From have ever done I think. They very sneakily fill it with fairly soft mobs at the start who make you quite cocky but nevertheless chip away at your flasks, and then hit you with several hard bastards (literally, in the case of the Crystal dudes) who rapidly rob you of your remaining flasks, plus three of those cunts who are nothing but arms, legs, and screaming. Made it as far as the Drainage Channel but it was super tense and I noped past a load of enemies, and loot, so I’ll have to come back. 

One of the best areas of the game, IMO.

13 minutes ago, jonamok said:

I can’t even get her to her second phase as she just keeps healing off me. And that other bast is just a war of attrition that is mostly me running after the fucker and eating bowls of AoE for brekkie, lunch and dinner.

I really don’t want to respec into Dex or magic/incantations, that’s not this guy.

I couldn’t kill her with a tanky great shield strategy, as you say she heals too much. I’ve killed her dual wielding two great swords though which wasn’t bad at all. Technically that was a faith build, as my swords mainly scaled from that attribute, but it wasn’t like I was flinging spells at her. I’m sure you could do it as a mainly strength build with enough faith for a couple of buffs - here are the important parts of the build:

Spoiler

It mainly relies on jumping attacks, so boosting that with the claw talisman and raptor’s black feathers chest armour is essential. Otherwise wear the heaviest armour you can and still medium roll.

Other good talismans to use are the green turtle for stamina recovery and the dragoncrest greatshield for increased physical damage negation.

I also used a mimic+10 and the incantations Golden Vow (increased attack and defence) and Flame Grant Me Stength (increased damage and fire damage).

2 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

I’m not sure I’ve read much praise for the Haligtree and subsequent areas yet? I got stuck into it yesterday and it’s one of the tightest, most relentless areas From have ever done I think. They very sneakily fill it with fairly soft mobs at the start who make you quite cocky but nevertheless chip away at your flasks, and then hit you with several hard bastards (literally, in the case of the Crystal dudes) who rapidly rob you of your remaining flasks, plus three of those cunts who are nothing but arms, legs, and screaming. Made it as far as the Drainage Channel but it was super tense and I noped past a load of enemies, and loot, so I’ll have to come back. 

One of the best areas of the game, IMO.

Hmm, I find it hard to say I enjoy the area, but I do like how it is absolutely not fucking around. At a point in the game where you’ve probably got used to being fairly overpowered it’s a real slap back to reality that demands you actually focus and concentrate once again!

I really love the amount of freedom you have to pick your path through the area though, early in the Elphael part especially - there’s so much hidden away and the exploration is some of the tensest in the game. 

35 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Actually, have you got access to the Dragon King’s Cragblade? You get it from a remembrance. I have done Malenia and the final boss using that. It does require a respec into dex but is still a good weapon to use from behind a greatshield. The added bonus is that it has a very flashy and very damaging weapon skill that tears huge chunks off life bars. 

Something this game doesn't do as well as Dark Souls (IMO) is making you care about your runes/souls.  I've lost absolutely thousands of the things - but I rarely ever actually care.  Getting a decent chunk of runes back is really quite easy and the open ended go anywhere if your stuck removes any of the tension to get to the next grace site.  Even in the 'legacy dungeon' parts, I never really felt as though losing my runes was a big deal - in Dark Souls it always felt worse when really pushing your luck to try and get to the next camp fire.  I think the game does miss that push your luck thing that made for some of my favourite Dark Souls moments.

3 minutes ago, imp said:

Hmm, I find it hard to say I enjoy the area, but I do like how it is absolutely not fucking around. At a point in the game where you’ve probably got used to being fairly overpowered it’s a real slap back to reality that demands you actually focus and concentrate once again!

I really love the amount of freedom you have to pick your path through the area though, early in the Elphael part especially - there’s so much hidden away and the exploration is some of the tensest in the game. 

Exactly that! Everything hits like a truck, and there are several nasty surprises if you leg it, so you have to be really cautious and methodical. 

I lost 200k at one point as well! :(

1 minute ago, scottcr said:

Something this game doesn't do as well as Dark Souls (IMO) is making you care about your runes/souls.  I've lost absolutely thousands of the things - but I rarely ever actually care.  Getting a decent chunk of runes back is really quite easy and the open ended go anywhere if your stuck removes any of the tension to get to the next grace site.  Even in the 'legacy dungeon' parts, I never really felt as though losing my runes was a big deal - in Dark Souls it always felt worse when really pushing your luck to try and get to the next camp fire.  I think the game does miss that push your luck thing that made for some of my favourite Dark Souls moments.

Weird timing. That feeling is as present as ever in the area I’ve just been talking about! 

I lost 750k souls yesterday slipping off a ledge on my way back to dragonlond ass-sux and I wasn't massively fussed. I'm at the end of the game with nothing much to spend them on.

I love Elphael, me and my mimic against 2 top level knights and a erdtree avatar. Complete chaos.

The last boss with 2 co-op guys is great as well. Its like the finale of a Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung, Yuen Biao movie with everyone diving in and hitting the boss and either getting swatted or dodging back out again.

27 minutes ago, scottcr said:

Yeah, I really don’t agree with that. Losing close to a levels worth of souls really hurts in this just as it did in any other souls game. It feels exactly the same. 

The only thing that’s different this time round is I’m so used to it after 6 prior games that it’s easier to just deal with it :) 

1 minute ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Yeah, I really don’t agree with that. Loosing close to a levels worth of souls really hurts in this just as it did in any other souls game. It feels exactly the same. 

The only thing that’s different this time round is I’m so used to it after 6 prior games that it’s easier to just deal with it :) 

maybe it'll be worse as I get higher and the requirements to level up become more, but I'm level 85 now.  I've even got 3 of the big baddie souls that I could turn into a total of 60k runes - but it feels like a waste.