IGNORED

Elden Ring - chortlesome japes

Broker

23 minutes ago, dug said:

Near end game question:

Hide contents

Well, I presume near end game anyway. I killed the Fire Giant and got up onto the rim of the giant forge. Umm, now what? There a point of grace there, but nothing else happens. I can't jump down into the bowl because I just die, even when trying to carefully make my way down via the side cracks. And I can't find a way down the outside either. Have I missed an NPC interaction or questline which makes something happen here? I thought I was supposed to get some flame from the giant's forge and use it to burn the Erdtree.

I'm not looking for a direct answer for what to do, more just have I missed something at the forge itself, or do I need to look elsewhere?

Site of grace - rest - talk to

18 minutes ago, Benny said:

Is it just me, or does anyone else let the music play once on the title screen before starting every session to set the mood? Yes I might be obsessed. Probably still got days and days more of the game ahead of me. It's frankly obscene.

Yes which is why when people were saying there is no memorable theme was rubbish

31 minutes ago, dug said:

Near end game question:

Hide contents

Well, I presume near end game anyway. I killed the Fire Giant and got up onto the rim of the giant forge. Umm, now what? There a point of grace there, but nothing else happens. I can't jump down into the bowl because I just die, even when trying to carefully make my way down via the side cracks. And I can't find a way down the outside either. Have I missed an NPC interaction or questline which makes something happen here? I thought I was supposed to get some flame from the giant's forge and use it to burn the Erdtree.

I'm not looking for a direct answer for what to do, more just have I missed something at the forge itself, or do I need to look elsewhere?

there will be a "talk to" option at that grace. NOTE it is aa point of no return for a certain thing. so. maybe...mop up .. the

Spoiler

capital

before doing it!

As yes, after killing the last boss you can go back in, you cant undo what has been done!

5 minutes ago, Uzi said:

Yes which is why when people were saying there is no memorable theme was rubbish

I'll be the first to bite. While I LOVE Elden Ring and everything it stands for, the only thing about it I can't say has given me a lot of memories is the music. While functional when it counts the score has actually left me with a bunch of anonymous orchestra pieces with little spark in them. While technically well composed, they don't stand out in any way I deem great music to be made of. Sadly. (For me, that is). 

On the opposite end of the scale, I love the music in general.

I think the tension from the background drone stuff is perfect. The gentle flute stuff in the capital is superb too.

20 hours ago, Retroid said:

The Capital :lol:.

Gives you an easy opening and then... Everything! I love the swing to the city though, might have to nope away for a bit though.

I arrived there yesterday or the day before, I forget. It is a hell of a reveal when you step out and overlook the city.

It is also a noticeable step up in challenge (after those easy balloon dudes) so hats off to Miyazaki as I was maybe becoming a little complacent (at Lvl 102) before pushing into the Capital. It seems pretty big and nicely convoluted too and has given me a real  Dark Souls vibes once I jumped down a well and found areas:

Spoiler

.that, at first, had a bit of a Blight Town vibe before becoming grim like The Depths. I got lost.

Found a boss now but he seems doable with a little practice.

I'm a little disappointed that, even in these legacy dungeons, the Sites of Grace remain a bit too frequent to induce the real nerves and fear that made Dark Souls such an experience.

1 hour ago, Blunted said:

On the opposite end of the scale, I love the music in general.

I think the tension from the background drone stuff is perfect. The gentle flute stuff in the capital is superb too.

The best part of the soundtrack for me is Caelid. Proper horror and really chilling.

Finished the last few bosses earlier.

Last boss:

Spoiler

Really enjoyed the cutscene and the first phase. Second phase was absolute nonsense, they really dropped the ball there. But the best final bosses are always in the DLC :D

Overall though, what a fucking game.

Going to look up a souls farm, buy a pile of stones and jump into NG+ with a new build.

Also, I used an old tip and turned off the music for the final boss, which helped a lot. It's amazing how much the music in these games can increase the tension.

I'm going to leave it a day or two before writing down my thoughts as I don't want to be too reactive to the last couple of hours.

1 hour ago, Timmo said:

Also, I used an old tip and turned off the music for the final boss, which helped a lot. It's amazing how much the music in these games can increase the tension.

I'm going to leave it a day or two before writing down my thoughts as I don't want to be too reactive to the last couple of hours.

The first time I beat the final boss in Dark Souls, I HAD to turn off the music and put this on instead to get pumped up! 

…and only then did I beat him! 

2 hours ago, Uzi said:

I couldn’t hum it for you now, which is the definition of memorable I’d say. But generally it’s all suitably doom-laden and intimidating, so it’s not like the music is bad. There’s just nothing that stays with me. I do like the sparse overworks sound though.

Rykard down for me tonight. Another amazing spectacle boss, even though there wasn’t much skill involved in killing him. 

I love* how the albinaurics are total joke enemies throughout the whole game, so unthreatening with their froggy heads and eyes, doing their cute little cartwheels. Until you get to 

Spoiler

Mohgwyn palace

and suddenly they're ninja death beasts who you constantly have to fight in groups of four, or five, or eight. Oh, and now they can 

Spoiler

do bonewheel-style stunlock spike-rolls. And they can summon fucking High Lord Wolnir, who shoots stunlocking death lasers. Oh look, two High Lord Wolnirs. Grand.

I died. Again.

*Stretching the definition of the word 'love' here.

Does Malenia have new moves if you co-op? I swear she never did the Isshin bullshit from the other side of the room when I attempted to solo.

I've attempted three times now with other players and just humiliated myself. I thought it was in the bag because they're much more powerful than I am.

1 hour ago, Number 28 said:

Does Malenia have new moves if you co-op? I swear she never did the Isshin bullshit from the other side of the room when I attempted to solo.

I've attempted three times now with other players and just humiliated myself. I thought it was in the bag because they're much more powerful than I am.

Some bosses seem to have new moves, I'm helping people with one atm that is doing stuff I never saw when fighting it myself.

Been doing the same boss a few hours. One guy keeps summoning me and dying to it. They've been trying for ages. Just downed it with them, great feeling :)

Would've killed it an hour ago if they just stood back and let me do it though :P

5 hours ago, Mike S said:

I arrived there yesterday or the day before, I forget. It is a hell of a reveal when you step out and overlook the city.

It is also a noticeable step up in challenge (after those easy balloon dudes) so hats off to Miyazaki as I was maybe becoming a little complacent (at Lvl 102) before pushing into the Capital. It seems pretty big and nicely convoluted too and has given me a real  Dark Souls vibes once I jumped down a well and found areas:

Hide contents

.that, at first, had a bit of a Blight Town vibe before becoming grim like The Depths. I got lost.

Found a boss now but he seems doable with a little practice.

I'm a little disappointed that, even in these legacy dungeons, the Sites of Grace remain a bit too frequent to induce the real nerves and fear that made Dark Souls such an experience.

Agree with the grace sites. I miss that lovely horrible feeling when you're down to your last estus and carrying a wedge of souls. Deciding whether to push on or go back and spend your souls. 

I found that I cared less about losing runes in this game and also would be 1 or 2 estus down when I found another grace in the legacy dungeons. 

I'm struggling with this game. I've never played the genre before but generally an finding the fighting very frustrating. It seems to vary between extremely easy and extremely hard ads in a nano second and blocking doesn't seem to work for anything hard. I've not managed to take down a bit yet, generally feeling frustrated by it.

9 hours ago, Timmo said:

Spells are a bit boring, unfortunately. You can use the Moonveil, though.

It’s honest work. Moonveil has a lovely moveset but you’re limited as you can’t apply ashes of war or grease. I’m using it with a backup uchigatana+20 and meteorite staff with mostly utility spells. And the carian shield. 

1 hour ago, Hass said:

I'm struggling with this game. I've never played the genre before but generally an finding the fighting very frustrating. It seems to vary between extremely easy and extremely hard ads in a nano second and blocking doesn't seem to work for anything hard. I've not managed to take down a bit yet, generally feeling frustrated by it.

Bit of a learning curve to get over, but generally yes I’ve found it easy or hard without much middle ground, maybe because of how I levelled for a long time. Focus on upgrading your vigor so you can last longer in fights and learn the combat better. There are stats which dictate how your shields work, one is damage resistance (100 means all damage of that type, eg physical, is blocked). Your stamina bar depletes with each hit and you can’t block if it’s pushed past empty. Stamina refills faster when you’re not blocking, so you have to balance blocking and not blocking to keep your stamina up. Keep your equip load at medium to avoid dodging slowly (fat rolling) and use a combination of block and dodge depending on the enemy. 

Make sure to upgrade your weapon as much as possible and try to focus your stats. Do you want spells? Then you want Int. Incantations? Faith. There's also hexes and pyromancy that require both.

Str generally favours big slow weapons that hit hard. Dex generally favours quick weapons that hit lots.

Quality builds (equal Dex and Str) are good for newcomers as you can use most things.

I would recommend pumping up your damage output in the first instance as things can't hit you when they are dead. Plus endurance for better kit armour and rolling. I did the majority of the game with 20 vigor but later on you need more than this 40 seems about right.

Always have something ranged as a tool to pull or kill things from a distance whether it's a bow, magic or incantations.

I don't bother with shields to be honest as lots of Bloodborne and Nioh has taught me to be aggressive. 

Early on you can find the brass shield for 100% physical damage reduction or a painted kite shield for similar. Either should help! 

Don’t use a shield. Get used to dodging and rolling instead, it’s far better. 

Blocking: 

- Drains stamina

- Maybe chip damage if magic or your shield isn’t 100% physical block

- Most enemies use combos so your stamina will be almost gone before you can retaliate

- Can’t reposition

Rolling:

- Drains stamina

- If you time it right you’ll completely avoid all damage as rolling has invincibility frames in the animation

- Allows you to reposition (out of a corner, behind an enemy, space to run etc) 

Only reason to use a shield, really, is for the looks or the play style, not because they’re actually good. 

This is coming from someone who always played with sword and shield in these games until Elden Ring and discovered how much better just dodging is. 

11 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

Everyone saying bleed is op! Bleed is op!  Bleed mashes bosses! 

Then the last two bosses are immune to bleed :lol:

I assume you mean the two phases of the final boss? Because hulk hogan is not immune to it. 

The final boss seems a bit immune to everything. Nothing there that really crushes it and seems to be super effective. I haven’t tried FTH against it though.

8 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

The first time I beat the final boss in Dark Souls, I HAD to turn off the music and put this on instead to get pumped up! 

…and only then did I beat him! 

I favour Eye of the Tiger.

2 minutes ago, Broker said:

I assume you mean the two phases of the final boss? Because hulk hogan is not immune to it. 

The final boss seems a bit immune to everything. Nothing there that really crushes it and seems to be super effective. I haven’t tried FTH against it though.

I favour Eye of the Tiger.

I told you, man: that prawn homing missile spell WRECKS the second phase of the final fight. I tried strength, I tried sorcery, I tried faith and nothing worked. Then I went faith with that spell, killed him first attempt. 

8 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

I told you, man: that prawn homing missile spell WRECKS the second phase of the final fight. I tried strength, I tried sorcery, I tried faith and nothing worked. Then I went faith with that spell, killed him first attempt. 

What is the spell called? Just in case I need to respec!