IGNORED

Elden Ring - chortlesome japes

Broker

Caelid is on one hand one of the easiest parts of the game because you can basically ride past everything that is a threat. The whole thing is an open field. 

Radahn down first try!

Spoiler

I really enjoyed it. It was nice having the others there to summon. Only thing that annoyed me was a stupid mistake where i was trying to summon Torrent but had forgotten what button i'd mapped it to in my pouch, so i did the entire fight on foot.

After the fight i headed to the Catacombs on the North of the beach, and got absolutely battered by bow weilding ghosts.

I still can't get Ranni to turn up in her tower north of Caria manor either. Worried that her entire qustiline has bugged out on me.

2 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

The difficulty in this is really interesting, the whole game is essentially a focussed sandbox in regards to routes and builds. What I find curious though is that you only have limited respecs, which kind of goes against that approach. I guess they want to encourage people to replay from the start.

They're not that limited. There's one zone where you can pick about ten of them up, which is far more than you'll need given the limitations on getting the right equipment for each build levelled up.

3 hours ago, K said:

What's the point of those glintstone key gateways? The ones next to the Academy just seem to teleport you a couple of hundred yards up a pathway, right next to a site of grace. There's one that takes you over a broken causeway, but the entrance one would seem to work better just as a normal doorway.

3 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

Yes its weird about the gates, we speculated it might be some kind of tech limitation but its very odd that they'd need to segment off the Academy when everything else streams just fine. Yes it ties into the lore for needing the key but you could just have a door instead.

Yeah, I don't think it actually is segregated off, as the key takes you to the north gate which is still in the open world. I think the use of teleporters is failsafe game design thing. You're bound to stumble on one or two while out exploring, as a bunch of them send you to that location which gives you the 

Spoiler

Map to the key

which gives you your next area of focus if you don't know where to go. And on the flip side I think the other purpose the key and lock serves is to encourage people to explore in case they've made a beeline straight from Stormveil - the game makes you take a detour, encouraging you to get sidetracked.

Also, my two big swords build absolutely smashed the boss of CFA. I cannot believe how easily he went down after the last couple of fights I had against him.

Spoiler

Today I have easily beaten Godfrey and Morgott. 

Think being L100 means I'm a smidge op. Both fell first attempt. 

Think I still have loads of the Capital to explore as not even found the sewers you've all been on about. 

53 minutes ago, imp said:

Also, my two big swords build absolutely smashed the boss of CFA. I cannot believe how easily he went down after the last couple of fights I had against him.

Hide contents

How is that even possible? How are you doing so much damage?

I think the academy is segregated because if you look at it’s height relative to the rest of the world it’s really high up? I might be wrong though. 

5 hours ago, ChewMagma said:

Whither Armored Core now though? Strong rumours they were bringing it back but with 12 million sold will they now become the Elden Ring studio?

AC is already pretty deep in development I think? There’s leaked screenshots floating around which show fully modelled mechs and environments, so I’m guessing the B Team is on it. 

4 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

Re: bonfire runs, I agree they are less aggregious than past games but it still doesn't excuse them. I'm currently stuck on a dungeon boss and have to run for 30 seconds each attempt. It doesn't sound like much but its so draining, especially when you might not even last that long against the boss. I don't know why anyone defends bonfire runs, they're just unnecessary timewasting and the solution is there but they've just not used it in some cases. It's not as bad if you are only trying a boss say 5 times, but try doing it over 30 times and you'll share my frustration!

I did a NG+6 boss run in Bloodborne around 500 times over six months. I know it’s all personal preference but I quite like them. Bit of downtime between attempts. 

Oh man I'm with Alan on some of them, I just worked my way down to CFA spoiler

Spoiler

Dragonlord Placidusax. Died from 2 AOE strikes in 30 seconds, now back at the grace which is quite a way away including platforming and cutscenes, now that's bullshit, they could have included a stake of marika down there like they do with the evergaol's

For bloodborne that Martyr Logarius run back has got to be the worst!

1 hour ago, Minion said:

Reveal hidden contents

Dragonlord Placidusax. Died from 2 AOE strikes in 30 seconds, now back at the grace which is quite a way away including platforming and cutscenes, now that's bullshit, they could have included a stake of marika down there like they do with the evergaol's

I know he's optional but he is total bullshit, 1 shot moves all over the shop.

Just now, Melon_Bread said:

I think when you get the timing down to avoid his 'death from above' moves it gets a lot easier. Agree that the run back sucks though.

3 minutes ago, Melon_Bread said:

Yeah he's bullshit, I gave up as even when doing well (less than 25% health left) I just got killed by a double whammy of lightning then fire. Killed the main boss of the area 2nd go though, again mimic was used who kept him busy with cold claymore with stomp hoarfrost whilst I spammed a load of flies to bleed him, first phase was done in no time at all, then he wailed on the mimic whilst I did similar and got some hits in from behind, by the time my mimic died I only needed to hit him a few times to down him! Mimic is so op if you set it up right.

2 minutes ago, Minion said:

Hmm, he seemed resistant to bleeding from my katana.

pully bow, bleed bolts, 3 hits of bleed in a row! and with mimic...well... bleed all over the show lol

25 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

I’ve gone for an Astrologer. Hoping to distance cheese my way through.

Spells are a bit boring, unfortunately. You can use the Moonveil, though.

Accidentally killed a boss by falling off a bridge and then he just couldn't live without me and jumped off himself? I've died to him many, many times and to be honest I was a little relieved although I was definitely making progress at the time.

I do like a little bug or two

- boss 

Spoiler

The second moose

Can teleport.  Twice I’ve experienced it teleport out of bounds and die.  

- another boss

Spoiler

Gargoyles

Starts on a ledge above the arena,  problem was , no one told him we’d rocked up, so he stayed up there.  Probably could’ve sniped him but would’ve taken ages.  Might’ve been interesting at the half way stage, though(?)

1 hour ago, Minion said:

Yeah he's bullshit, I gave up as even when doing well (less than 25% health left) I just got killed by a double whammy of lightning then fire. Killed the main boss of the area 2nd go though, again mimic was used who kept him busy with cold claymore with stomp hoarfrost whilst I spammed a load of flies to bleed him, first phase was done in no time at all, then he wailed on the mimic whilst I did similar and got some hits in from behind, by the time my mimic died I only needed to hit him a few times to down him! Mimic is so op if you set it up right.

It's the appear from nowhere beam or swipe you to death move I hate. I had him about 2 hits from death one time. Mimic seems to do very little in that fight, think all the teleporting means it's constantly running after the boss.

25 minutes ago, Melon_Bread said:

It's the appear from nowhere beam or swipe you to death move I hate. I had him about 2 hits from death one time. Mimic seems to do very little in that fight, think all the teleporting means it's constantly running after the boss.

Yeah the beam surprised me and killed me once, fucker! Midir is such a better dragon boss fight than this.

I unlocked the entire main map a week+ ago. Have been playing a bit less after that due to work and other stuff. Decided to ease my way back into the game tonight by backtracking to previously explored areas where I suspected I hadn't found everything. Now, three hours later, I've unlocked two new massive areas and received five new achievements/trophies. No matter what I decided to do in this game, I feel rewarded. 

Edit: I unlocked the entire overworld map, that is....

Near end game question:

Spoiler

Well, I presume near end game anyway. I killed the Fire Giant and got up onto the rim of the giant forge. Umm, now what? There a point of grace there, but nothing else happens. I can't jump down into the bowl because I just die, even when trying to carefully make my way down via the side cracks. And I can't find a way down the outside either. Have I missed an NPC interaction or questline which makes something happen here? I thought I was supposed to get some flame from the giant's forge and use it to burn the Erdtree.

I'm not looking for a direct answer for what to do, more just have I missed something at the forge itself, or do I need to look elsewhere?

Is it just me, or does anyone else let the music play once on the title screen before starting every session to set the mood? Yes I might be obsessed. Probably still got days and days more of the game ahead of me. It's frankly obscene.