IGNORED

Elden Ring - chortlesome japes

Broker

I think I need some guidance with my Astrologer.

Level 35, wielding a +10 staff (not the starter one, the one you find at/get as a reward for killing a big bastard) and a +4 crystal sword that scales with INT. Doing good damage against regular enemies and mini bosses. I went full INT (24) with no points in FAI and ARC. Got a decent selection of glintstone spells. Problem is, proper bosses drain my FP like crazy. My flasks are now 3 HP:5 FP, I could of for 0:8 but I'd rather not be without a potion when low on HP.

Did I miss something/someone? Am trying the boss as the Academy and man that's rough. I've seen summoned players casting like purple balls of doom and like big ass laser beams. Where I can get myself some of that shit, that looks neat.

16 minutes ago, Mystacon said:

It would probably be considered ‘cheesing’ it, but I don’t feel that way at all. It was still difficult. Getting up close to him was such a dice roll as to whether I got one-shotted or not.

I really liked this eurogamer article about how there's no such thing as cheesing the game

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2022-03-09-theres-no-such-thing-as-an-elden-ring-cheese

It's easy to get caught up in the idea that unless you beat a tough boss by dodging through all their attacks and whacking them with a sword then you're almost cheating somehow. But all the tools are there for a reason. Sure, some might get nerfed in a patch but if From wanted you to beat the whole game with rolling and a sword then they wouldn't have included magic or items or a bow and arrow or weapon arts or summons or....

The game hates you and will kill you out of nowhere without a second's hesitation. Don't feel bad about using all the very tools From have provided us with to try and find an easier solution to the problem. That's the kind of flexibility in approach we always crave from, say, Rockstar now but never get.

46 minutes ago, scottcr said:

one of the things I enjoy is going places where I think I might not be powerful enough and bolting past enemies to unlock the map - quite often you'll stumble across some awesome loot, and you'll find graces along the way.  There's no disadvantage to just pushing your luck other than losing runes which you can easily get back.  It only becomes proper tense when you're in a 'dungeon' level like the castle where it's much more like old school Dark Souls.  There's plenty of ace stuff even in the weeping peninsula, and if you've *properly* explored it, you'll have ended WELL out of the way on the map!

I've ended up at the church on a small island - I'm not sure if that's off weeping pp or not. But there is a small area I've yet to explore. It's on my list of things to do.

4 minutes ago, df0 said:

Level 35, wielding a +10 staff (not the starter one, the one you find at/get as a reward for killing a big bastard) and a +4 crystal sword that scales with INT. Doing good damage against regular enemies and mini bosses. I went full INT (24) with no points in FAI and ARC. Got a decent selection of glintstone spells. Problem is, proper bosses drain my FP like crazy. My flasks are now 3 HP:5 FP, I could of for 0:8 but I'd rather not be without a potion when low on HP.

Did I miss something/someone? Am trying the boss as the Academy and man that's rough. I've seen summoned players casting like purple balls of doom and like big ass laser beams. Where I can get myself some of that shit, that looks neat.

I had similar issues early on with a standard 'glass cannon' mage. All my early levels were pumped into INT to get damage up and I ended up carrying mostly FP flasks.

Later on it gets a bit easier when you have your damage up and can afford to put some levels into MND - that will mean you can cast more before refuelling. It also helps when you upgrade your flask with more charges.

The purple balls of doom can be found relatively early on but the laser beams are further down the road from where you are now.

Early on? Hmm, so you reckon I should keep doing the Academy boss hoping I GIT GUD or get a summoner who brings purple balls and lasers? I could ask a guide, but I'd rather not. That's for NG+.

With spirit summons I used them on the first two bosses plus Tree Sentinel, but at low levels they are mainly a distraction to buy you a few seconds of reprieve from time to time. They also invariably die before the boss is even half health so I see them more as a learning tool to help you figure out attack patterns, dodge timings, etc. Some of the bosses since I definitely made it way more punishing and likely unfun for myself by not using them. But I do love cracking them open for the open world lesser encounters taking on ruins or giants or whatever, its so fun, it makes it into a proper battle. I love how some of the summons can jump up ledges so they can be fighting in the ramparts whilst you get involved down below.

I had a great fun time last night with some archer summons I found recently. They fire shitloads of arrows and the arrows stay stuck in the enemies. The enemies in this place were slow and very hardy. Every enemy literally looked like a pincushion with 10 arrows sticking out of them, it was glorious!

Got a day off work today and Rennala is down already let's gooooo.

Not my favourite type of fight to be honest, and I faffed around at the end not fully understanding how her summons work, but I got it done. Went for a light load fast roll again (thanks Mike S!).

Video in spoiler.

Spoiler

Now in complete analysis paralysis about how/if to change up my build.

3 hours ago, John0 said:

Nice one! Enjoyed your Ragadon fight! I still can't get over your tiny health bar haha. What level are you? I'm in the 50s for the academy now.

I was level 35 or 36 when I did that, I think I only have 2 points in Vigour. I think the only reason I can survive stuff like the diving attack now, compared to when I tried it earlier (it used to one-shot me) must be what someone here said about defence raising slightly when you level up, when I tried it before I was level 30-32. What was the move where you raise your shield up high to seemingly protect yourself from the missiles? I'm also curious as to what affinity his weapon is. Magic defence didn't seem to lower his blade damage so maybe it's fire? Or maybe its just physical. That's one bugbear I have with Souls, its not always obvious enough what kind of affinity damage that bosses do or are weak to, unless they have obvious lightning swords or whatever.

Question for you assuming you have ventured beyond that boss, is the next mini-boss one I should be able to kill right now, or should I just be running around him/stealthing past? He keeps parrying me and insta-killing me. 

I'm heading up the mountain. That Full Grown Falling Star beast, fuck him. Decided to not fight him. 

I have some great runes from beating other bosses but no idea what to do with them. I have the first one unlocked that gives you a boost but don't know what to do with the rest to use them. 

That reminds me, I had a graphical anomaly yesterday I think while exploring the coast off weeping peninsula - 

I saw the shadow of a bird on the ground in front of me, flying and then disappear...thing is, it was at a very low frame-rate that made it feel a lot like some of those old hand-drawn animations (I think there's a certain tv/movie studio whose splash screen was similar, actually). I traced the shadow back to a likely point of origin of a nearby tree, didnt find anything.

Only mentioned because it was evocative enough that I genuinely questioned if I had found some sort of intentional 'bird spirit' or something.

Technically it was probably just that the source was far away enough that the game was limiting the animation frames, but it felt actually quite cool.

47 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

I know that many folks think this is far from the cutting edge of "graphics", i.e. textures and shadows and what have you, and perhaps I'm easily pleased, but I really do think this game is very pretty at times:

1962275695_ELDENRING_20220310210709.thumb.png.714a54797222e27b6299bfa7941e1ea4.png

832443315_ELDENRING_20220310204116.thumb.png.9a3d2b339e11f5a389d0537c2e46c019.png

1226932868_ELDENRING_20220309233924.thumb.png.305422c07d4675eb17f8658525b36683.png

Technically speaking, it's a dog's dinner but the imagination and design is peerless in my opinion. It's incredibly pretty a great deal of the time as well.

45 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

Question for you assuming you have ventured beyond that boss, is the next mini-boss one I should be able to kill right now, or should I just be running around him/stealthing past? He keeps parrying me and insta-killing me. 

Respect to you for taking on this stuff at that kind of level! Not easy.

If you mean the NPC red guy I killed him yeah. I think you're "supposed" but could be wrong. That kind of enemy is good at keeping up with you if you try and run. I used my go-to shield strategy on him when there's a fight with a long run from a bonfire that I don't want to have to do over and over. Not really a spoiler but spoilered in case people don't want specific strategies for enemies out in the open:

Spoiler

Barricade Shield ashes of war works really well for me with this type of enemy with a 100% physical block shield. For about 20-30 seconds after you activate it can make some enemies stagger when you block their attack. Combined with the guard counter and you should be able to do enough damage to get a chance for a crit. So I got a lot of damage in off of that. It feels a little bit cheese-y (I know I know there's no such thing) but when there's something I just want to get past I give it a go.

Here's a very quick example of it working, not on the enemy you referenced but on a gold knight I found in Stormveil. Not quite the same thing as he didn't bounce off my shield but you get the idea:

Spoiler

The massive problem I have is there’s too much stuff to do IRL.  My employer and customers somehow aren’t playing this, so I have to carry on working.  Then my family expect me to interact with them on evenings and weekends.  Unforgivable.

i can’t juggle that, plus everything  Elden Ring’s loaded with.  Did anyone mention how big it is?

1 hour ago, df0 said:

you need pints in MIND, thats your FP pool at 20 MIND you get 100 FP, 25 - 130. you get more fp per level up to 50ish

https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/FP

Its really big.

Stunning game though.

I don't usually bother with hard bosses but somehow this is gaming crack. I did that fire magma Wrym cunt for the Katana this morning and found that fantastic river from the well in Mistwood. 

The tactics in this are amazing. So with Magma Wrym cunt i didn't use any summon ashes in the end because you realise its unpredictable. It'll turn against you as the aggro changes.

What game gives you NPC helpers only for them to actually be a hinderance? Obviously Tom Clancy Wildlands but thats a different thing.

59 minutes ago, scottcr said:

Both this and BOTW look better than Horizon IMO - art style and atmosphere always win

Funny isn’t it, basically the two greatest games of all time, and you can play this one on hardware that’s approaching ten years old now. Ok so it’s not the best way to experience it but it’s cool that it’s still possible and totally viable if that’s all you have. The most powerful hardware does not necessarily equal the best games. 

1 hour ago, df0 said:

Early on? Hmm, so you reckon I should keep doing the Academy boss hoping I GIT GUD or get a summoner who brings purple balls and lasers? I could ask a guide, but I'd rather not. That's for NG+.

I was levelled a bit higher than you (40-ish I think) for the Academy boss and I got a summoner to help. I'm sure it's possible at lower levels but I hadn't put anything into VIT at that point so was struggling on my own. The very personification of a glass cannon.