IGNORED

Elden Ring - chortlesome japes

Broker

7 minutes ago, K said:

I'm finding the sheer openness of the game a bit overwhelming, to be honest. It reminds me a bit of old RPGs like Ultima, Rings of Power or the Faery Tale Adventure, where you start off in one part of a huge open world and can just wander off wherever you like. When I played them back in the day, I'd always find that scale and lack of a direction a bit daunting, and in this, the fact that the world is so big and detailed and the way that open world bits are relatively easy to push through means that it's absolutely exhausting at times.

I almost want there to be some gating, just to make it a bit more manageable. There are a couple of bits where it feels like there should be more of a roadblock, like the bridge to the weeping peninsula to the south or the broken causeway and castle to the north, but you can just go straight through or around them. I feel like my brain is overflowing with Elden Ring.

The directions given by the Grace sites are a good way to funnel yourself if you want things to be a little more linear.

5 minutes ago, K said:

I'm finding the sheer openness of the game a bit overwhelming, to be honest. It reminds me a bit of old RPGs like Ultima, Rings of Power or the Faery Tale Adventure, where you start off in one part of a huge open world and can just wander off wherever you like. When I played them back in the day, I'd always find that scale and lack of a direction a bit daunting, and in this, the fact that the world is so big and detailed and the way that open world bits are relatively easy to push through means that it's absolutely exhausting at times.

I almost want there to be some gating, just to make it a bit more manageable. There are a couple of bits where it feels like there should be more of a roadblock, like the bridge to the weeping peninsula to the south or the broken causeway and castle to the north, but you can just go straight through or around them. I feel like my brain is overflowing with Elden Ring.

The way I try to cope with this is to focus on one area at a time. Eg when I got to the Weeping Peninsula I just focussed on that area until I thought I'd seen most things. Similarly, I must have spent about a week just on the lakes at this point (including the second dungeon) because there's so much to see. 

There is a temptation to keep pushing on and see the next area but each individual area is by itself so big that you can easily spend days just looking for secrets in that region. I never ever thought I'd spend so long on the lakes when I first got there but it's absolutely overflowing.

I think my play pattern so far is to find a new area, rinse the area as much as I can, then go to the main dungeon in that area, then start pushing on. I think that helps the way my brain works rather than riding around the whole map and then not knowing where to focus my attention.

2 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

Sure, please hint men up!

Spoiler

All I can say is go back to the point of grace outside that back door.

That’s all I’ve done so far, but it was nice to continue the quest. It’ll be interesting to see where it leads.

Hah, yeah, I'm scanning them here as well!

I'm just doing this for my own enjoyment really.  If it's ever finished I think it might work as a nice fanzine or something, but I'm very conscious of the fact that this isn't my IP, and a lot of my drawings are built on the great design and art direction of the FROM artists.

11 minutes ago, Ste Pickford said:

Hah, yeah, I'm scanning them here as well!

I'm just doing this for my own enjoyment really.  If it's ever finished I think it might work as a nice fanzine or something, but I'm very conscious of the fact that this isn't my IP, and a lot of my drawings are built on the great design and art direction of the FROM artists.

They’re brilliant, so a fanzine of some sorts that won’t get you in trouble with From is a great idea!

35 minutes ago, K said:

I definitely feel some of this. Mostly in a good way - the whole point is that it feels somewhat hopeless and overwhelming! - but sometimes it combines with other things, like a road block boss or some of the exceptionally vague quests, to become a bit much.

Following one of the relatively early main quest lines, are there some more hints that I missed or is the brief really just 'take this letter to someone somewhere in Limgrave'? Fortunately, I had already met the person in question, and remembered their name and location because my character happens to find them useful, but I would wonder a bit what the approach would be otherwise, besides resorting to Google or maintaining a spreadsheet. (An annoyingly well illustrated journal I can understand but Excel accompanying my adventures feels like a bit much!)

Part of the fun after 50 hours is breaking the fucking game with magic and one shotting a boss. I'm sure some of you have seen this and many will tut, but this shit made me giddy.

General R Boss Fight spoiler - fight from entry to finish in about 90 seconds LOL

Spoiler

35 minutes ago, K said:

I feel like my brain is overflowing with Elden Ring.

Good innit? :)

Seriously though, I know what you mean. I think that’s why I took time to carefully go over an area I’d previously visited last night, taking notes. I now feel “in control” of that area.

As a counterpoint though, my gf is currently at the Anor Londo archers in Dark Souls 1. Talk about gated! So I’d rather have too much choice, than none. 

Went to Redmane Castle and:

Spoiler

there were no enemies? Just 2 of those lion things in a courtyard. Is this normal? Felt slightly robbed. Also couldn't open most of the doors but it looked like I should've been able to. Is this a bug? I had a wonky door in one of the catacombs that closed after I entered and I can't open it again.

Anyway, Radahn is down. Pretty cool idea for a fight but I definitely cheesed it and feel a bit of regret for not learning it properly. Killed him 3rd go by just summoning all the guys and spamming lightning spear with the occasional horseback driveby. Are people doing him without the summons?

Also discovered on the beach, hopefully it will save someone running up and down the whole thing:

Spoiler

There is a catacomb at the very northern point where the cliff meets the water.

Loved all the messages by the shore with the great view of the moon and sunken ship.

15 minutes ago, Parappa said:

Is there a way to determine where you have been / beaten a boss etc on the map?  I am loosing track of which areas I have completed.

Nope, but you can just put one of the stamps there I guess.

8 minutes ago, Kzo said:

Reveal hidden contents

there were no enemies? Just 2 of those lion things in a courtyard. Is this normal? Felt slightly robbed. Also couldn't open most of the doors but it looked like I should've been able to. Is this a bug? I had a wonky door in one of the catacombs that closed after I entered and I can't open it again.

Anyway, Radahn is down. Pretty cool idea for a fight but I definitely cheesed it and feel a bit of regret for not learning it properly. Killed him 3rd go by just summoning all the guys and spamming lightning spear with the occasional horseback driveby. Are people doing him without the summons?

Also discovered on the beach, hopefully it will save someone running up and down the whole thing:

Reveal hidden contents

Loved all the messages by the shore with the great view of the moon and sunken ship.

That seems related to the festival - try going back after 

8 minutes ago, Kzo said:

Hide contents

Hide contents

redmane:

Spoiler

It’s based on quest progression. If you’ve got it set up that Redahn is active, the castle is empty for the “festival”  once you beat him you can talk to an NPC to reset the castle and it’ll be full of enemies again  

This took me a loooong time to get (note the not cheesed spot) , one hit kill fights are scary.
My prophet has definitely gone full confessor now (especially as I found the armor - quite far on)

Apologies for potato quality phone pics
Q8TcR3i.jpg

CIG7P0v.jpg

On 08/03/2022 at 22:39, Alan Stock said:

Last night I found two NPCs just chilling at an old grace site I hadn't been to for like 20 hours, so definitely recommend to folks to revisit 'old' areas just in case someone's turned up!

I have noticed one NPC at a very early grace site but no others so far. 

I am a frequent visitor to early areas of the map (currently in the Lake District) as I like just having a relaxed ride around seeing if I've missed anything (last two days have turned up three or four catacombs and chambers I'd totally missed amongst other minor finds) so, hopefully, I'll encounter any migrating NPC's.

My current gripe remains my stalled weapon development. I am sixty hours into this and have been at +7 and, yesterday, +8 for a very long time now and could really do with some more +3 stones to level up as there are still very few enemies that require less than two hits to kill even in the very early game areas. They will come with time but it is starting to become frustrating...

10 hours ago, CrichStand said:

Fine if you just mainline the story. But you’re encouraged to explore the game world. So having explored the game world thoroughly I’m supposed to remember an NPC I met over 50hrs ago? Not only that I’m supposed to remember a single line of dialogue he gave me over 50hrs ago? Not only that I went back there recently and the dialogue was just “You need to find a Glintstone Key to get through the Academy”. Which I did. There’s nothing hinting at you needing  to return to that NPC at all. For all the player knows they need to find another door to unlock in the dungeon they’re at or at the other location the game warps you to. There’s no common sense to it at all. What happens if you’ve missed him in the first place?

Not sure how anyone can claim that’s great design. Why not have the item description as “Key once belonging to Thops of Southern Liurnia”l You then have to go off and explore to find him, or it jogs your memory a bit.

If you know you’re going to forget what the NPCs or items tell you it sounds like making some notes might not be a bad idea. Or Google it if you don’t want to. You can’t fix it

Just now, Kryptonian said:

If you know you’re going to forget what the NPCs or items tell you it sounds like making some notes might not be a bad idea. Or Google it if you don’t want to. You can’t fix it

Indeed, and, of course, it is perfectly acceptable game design to ask a little of the player and very much part of FROM's ethos of not hand holding nor overly instructing.

You are responding to one of the thread's most dramatic posters though so probably a waste of time...

Re. D's/FIA's sidequest:

Spoiler

Are you supposed to be able to figure out what happened there? Fia gave me the dagger and asked me to find its owner, saying 'It must have a very special place in the owner's heart', from which I inferred she wanted me to kill someone with it. From the design of it (silver and gold entwined), I thought it was D's, so I gave it to him. Next moment he was dead with Fia over his body, then she disappeared.

Hmm.

I'm guessing I'll meet D's

Spoiler

twin

later and more will be revealed...

I keep dipping into this and having no clue what to do next, and still enjoying it immensely. I almost killed a giant on my Todd last night, which felt like progress.

No joy on the first proper boss though, I may need to level up a little more.

12 minutes ago, Kryptonian said:

I’ve been making and discarding to-do lists on Post-Its. I recently completed a boss encounter so right now I’m planning to: 

- look into restoring the Great Rune of the guy I just defeated

- go see Enia about Remembrance stuff

- see if the last site of grace I discovered goes anywhere

But before that, my notes were on the boss attacks with long recovery that I could capitalise on, or potential elemental weaknesses. And so on.

Unrelated, but I will buy the first next-gen console that has an annotations/notes feature I can bring up in the middle of a game. :P 

5 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Re. D's/FIA's sidequest:

Hide contents

Are you supposed to be able to figure out what happened there? Fia gave me the dagger and asked me to find its owner, saying 'It must have a very special place in the owner's heart', from which I inferred she wanted me to kill someone with it. From the design of it (silver and gold entwined), I thought it was D's, so I gave it to him. Next moment he was dead with Fia over his body, then she disappeared.

Hmm.

I'm guessing I'll meet D's

Hide contents

twin

later and more will be revealed...

I’ve finished D/Fia’s questline. I posted about it a couple of pages back if you want spoilers. 

57 minutes ago, Parappa said:

Is there a way to determine where you have been / beaten a boss etc on the map?  I am loosing track of which areas I have completed.

41 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Nope, but you can just put one of the stamps there I guess.

Aye, I use the wee sword symbol to mark the locations I've beaten bosses and the skull to show where they kicked my ass and need to go back for justice at some point.