IGNORED

Elden Ring - chortlesome japes

Broker

I also moved out of the way of the smoke first time. I went and earned enough runes to level up then went back in to see what all the fuss was about.  

This game really gets under your skin. All I want to do is jump back in and explore more despite having very little time. I'm constantly reading up about it when I'm supposed to be working...or writing pointless posts on this forum that don't help anybody. 

I've wiped out multiple bosses now just by hanging back and throwing magic at them. When I get into melee i'm fine with most world enemies but terrible with the bosses. I feel my tactics are going to catch me out when I get to harder enemies and I wobble my sword at them slightly out of reach and I get stomped on in one hit. So far I'm making slow forward progress though. 

Found the samurai sword last night, finally one I want to level up. The boss in that area might have been the easiest Souls boss I've ever seen but I'll take it.

Proudest and best moment so far was clearing a cave....somewhere, and taking out the boss that was actually two bosses and multiple other creatures, with an NPC summon. It was a glorious gaming moment of the NPC doing most of the work and me casting spells and words of encouragement from afar. 

My biggest mistake came just after that, a proper newbie error, when I wanted to use a new shield put my weight up too much, so I levelled Strength up twice expecting it to help my weight limit but nope...wrong stat! Oh well, I'm sure Strength will still be useful through the game for my build. 

Question on that basis - if a weapon scales with Dex and Strength, does it factor in both of those stats or just the highest?

14 minutes ago, Ste Pickford said:

Aha!  I was really puzzled by the weapon skills.  I looked up online to see how they worked and all the sites said press L2, but that was just parrying with my shield.  After a bit of messing about I realised that L2 only worked if I two handed the weapon, so I presumed weapon skills were only available in two handed mode.

So double tapping L2 will give me the weapon skill instead of shield parry with the weapon one handed?

Parrying is a weapon skill in Elden Ring. Not all shields have it by default, with some having nothing and some having other skills. Applying a new skill to your shield will overwrite it.

L2 will always default to the shield skill if one is equipped, or the weapon skill if no shield skill is present. I didn't know you could double tap to switch it up though, which will be useful.

22 minutes ago, Ry said:

If I press it once I parry with my shield. LT is bound to left hand. 

I double tap LT and I'm using the ash that's in my sword. 

Before I had to have an empty hand to do it. 

If thiS works then great find! I don’t think I’ve heard this from anywhere else!

6 minutes ago, PeteJ said:

This game really gets under your skin. All I want to do is jump back in and explore more despite having very little time. I'm constantly reading up about it when I'm supposed to be working...or writing pointless posts on this forum that don't help anybody. 

I've wiped out multiple bosses now just by hanging back and throwing magic at them. When I get into melee i'm fine with most world enemies but terrible with the bosses. I feel my tactics are going to catch me out when I get to harder enemies and I wobble my sword at them slightly out of reach and I get stomped on in one hit. So far I'm making slow forward progress though. 

Found the samurai sword last night, finally one I want to level up. The boss in that area might have been the easiest Souls boss I've ever seen but I'll take it.

Proudest and best moment so far was clearing a cave....somewhere, and taking out the boss that was actually two bosses and multiple other creatures, with an NPC summon. It was a glorious gaming moment of the NPC doing most of the work and me casting spells and words of encouragement from afar. 

My biggest mistake came just after that, a proper newbie error, when I wanted to use a new shield put my weight up too much, so I levelled Strength up twice expecting it to help my weight limit but nope...wrong stat! Oh well, I'm sure Strength will still be useful through the game for my build. 

Question on that basis - if a weapon scales with Dex and Strength, does it factor in both of those stats or just the highest?

The amount a stat influences scaling is by the letter given to it. Eg a weapon with A strength and C Dex will scale higher with strength stats but will still get damage from dex stat too. If C for both will scale at the same rate so you'd need similar str and Dex ratings to balance it out (IE quality)

6 minutes ago, Sun Tze said:

I've assembled a few of those spirit summons but so far they stay greyed out during boss fights....how do you use them? 

Rest till night at Church of Elleh. ;)

6 minutes ago, Sun Tze said:

I've assembled a few of those spirit summons but so far they stay greyed out during boss fights....how do you use them? 

Spoiler

Have you rested at the shrine back at the church and got visited by a new NPC?

She gives you the item you need to summon them.

17 minutes ago, Lovelyman said:

If thiS works then great find! I don’t think I’ve heard this from anywhere else!

35 minutes ago, Ste Pickford said:

Aha!  I was really puzzled by the weapon skills.  I looked up online to see how they worked and all the sites said press L2, but that was just parrying with my shield.  After a bit of messing about I realised that L2 only worked if I two handed the weapon, so I presumed weapon skills were only available in two handed mode.

So double tapping L2 will give me the weapon skill instead of shield parry with the weapon one handed?

nah this doesn't work, I have to 2 hand it to get weapon art out, which is a pain cuz but the time I've done the art, swapped to the shield the weapon art is starting to wear off.

There is an art that removes all skills from the shield even the parry, with that equipped I think you can do the weapon art with shield out.

Just now, Kryptonian said:

I've just noticed I have an 'alter garments' option but I can't alter any of my, er, garments. What's does it do?

Just changes the look of some clothes (removing capes, or outer layers etc.), really useful for making mismatched sets look better together.

19 minutes ago, cassidy said:
  Hide contents

Have you rested at the shrine back at the church and got visited by a new NPC?

She gives you the item you need to summon them.

Cheers guys, this was driving me crazy :) 

21 hours ago, kiroquai said:

I am not picking this up myself (never intended to, I've dipped my toes into Souls games before and we get along like oil and water) but I'm watching a Let's Play and it's really enjoyable to watch these things being explored and experienced by people who, unlike me, don't feel personally slighted every time they take something on and it ends up in the ol' You Died screen :lol:

Can totally get why people are loving it. The way the thing is designed to peak your curiosity and reward it at every avenue is marvellous (and genuinely quite tricky to pull off when your game world is of the scale it is here). The enemy design is awesome, too. Some properly nasty looking beasties wandering around.

Which Let's Play are you watching Kiro?

(also I envy your self control over not playing something that makes you rage :P)

Even having played all the past Souls games I still don't totally get weapon damage.

If I have a weapon which does both magic and physical damage, how is that divided up? I ask because I had a straight sword +5 and a crystal sword.

Straight sword was something like physical damage 145 + 18. Crystal sword was like physical damage 108+9 and then the magic value was roughly the same.

I thought if you added the physical damage + magic damage then it would outperform the straight sword but it didn't seem to work like that. It took more slashes to kill grunt enemies than the straight sword.

Then I upgraded Crystal Sword to +2 and it is now outperforming the straight sword on the same enemy type even though the individual physical and magical damage figures are still lower? I don't get it. If you add physical + magic then the crystal sword should always have outperformed it. If you don't add them together I don't understand how Crystal Sword +2 is now outperforming it when it has lower individual figures. 

Do we know if it’s possible to play the same save file across a PS5 and a PS4 if you’ve got PS+ (and it’s associated cloud saving)? I’m guessing if it is possible, it would have to have been the PS4 version installed on both systems. 

:wacko: 

9 minutes ago, Majora said:

I thought if you added the physical damage + magic damage then it would outperform the straight sword but it didn't seem to work like that. It took more slashes to kill grunt enemies than the straight sword.

It probably because the enemy has resistance to one of the damage types. 

12 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

Do we know if it’s possible to play the same save file across a PS5 and a PS4 if you’ve got PS+ (and it’s associated cloud saving)? I’m guessing if it is possible, it would have to have been the PS4 version installed on both systems. 

:wacko: 

I don't think so - you can move from PS4 to PS5 but you can't move back according to their FAQ

Oh got just met the 

Spoiler

Dolly Botherer

And I think I joined a cult!

1 hour ago, Retroid said:

You know what this game really reminds me of; Morrowind. I've honestly not felt that same rush from being outclassed and cheesing stuff in area's you probably shouldn't be in until now.

Yes, a much stronger ES vibe to this one.  One example (SE area)

I rode horsey up an air vent and 

Spoiler

Found a group of cadavers on the top of a big rock.  For some reason they were holding very high level blacksmith shards.

Also, several incidents of red v red action.

28 minutes ago, Majora said:

Even having played all the past Souls games I still don't totally get weapon damage.

If I have a weapon which does both magic and physical damage, how is that divided up? I ask because I had a straight sword +5 and a crystal sword.

Straight sword was something like physical damage 145 + 18. Crystal sword was like physical damage 108+9 and then the magic value was roughly the same.

Then I upgraded Crystal Sword to +2 and it is now outperforming the straight sword on the same enemy type even though the individual physical and magical damage figures are still lower? I don't get it. If you add physical + magic then the crystal sword should always have outperformed it. If you don't add them together I don't understand how Crystal Sword +2 is now outperforming it when it has lower individual figures. 

A weapon with dual damage types is essentially like swinging two weapons with each being set against the relevant defense stat of what you are hitting.

In practice, this means a single damage type near always outperforms a dual type unless the enemy is weak to the element.

This has been consistent through all Souls games.

Decided to head south from the starting area as the castle after Margit fight was kicking my arse.

Although I'm getting annoyed with the game and mechanics regarding the attributes. I don't have a clue what these numbers mean and I have minus numbers next to plus and other convoluted nonsense. So much is not explained I feel the game is wasting my time. I am still using my starting sword at plus 4 strength and no idea how to upgrade further. 

I just constantly have that nagging feeling my character could be much stronger and I don't know where to begin. 

As much as I love a ton about the game, it feels like a bloody chore at times.