IGNORED

Elden Ring - chortlesome japes

Broker

Just now, Alan Stock said:

I lost 6k this morning because I went AFK next to a grace point at the start of a bridge. When I came back after 15 mins it appears a boss type enemy on the bridge had aggroed me a few times and killed me. Really sucks because it was my spoils from over an hour of exploring the overworld, and 6k is a lot at this early stage of the game! So don't go AFK at open world grace points unless you are certain it's safe!

For this reason I always hide in a  bush before going AFK. 

Just now, robdood said:

Also you don't need a shield for the guard counter, you can do it while two handing any melee weapon. 

Hold Y (triangle?) and then RB to switch between 1 and 2 handed ☺️ I missed the instruction for this(though im

guessing this was only an issue to me because I’m new to the series?!). 

I think I was 12 hours on the clock when I finally killed Margit last night. Admittedly quite a bit of that was experimenting with a couple of different versions of my build (battlemage is a lot more fun for me than pure mage) but most of it just exploring and getting better at the game. Loved every minute so far.

38 minutes ago, yakumo said:

Oh man I'm playing this on my bro's PS4 and I can't get along with it at all. I seem to die at every stage, I'm at Margit the Omen and I'm getting destroyed. Parry is harder too compared to previous Dark Souls, though that was a while ago but I really want to progress but I'm getting chewed out. I'm flailing at every encounter instead of actually fighting and it does seem right. 

I think Margrit is an "invisible tutorial" in this game as he's likely to absolutely stomp most players. Even though the game is pointing out the critical path via the light from the Sites of Grace, the game will soon just block your path with one of the most brutal first "proper" bosses" ever. 

I think this is all to teach players to go off an explore rather than smash your face off the brick wall over and over :)

I'm amazed so many people were bouncing off the tree sentinel right at the start. I took one look at him, went "nope" and went around. I think between him and Margaret the game is trying to teach you very early on to go and explore.

1 minute ago, Doctor Shark said:

That “critical path” thing is nonsense btw; earlier I was finishing off the area down south and the golden swishy arrow in the map was pointing at a castle I’d already cleared completely. No idea what it’s supposed to be doing. 

I think it's telling you the critical path for that particular area but doesn't care if you've actually done it  or not.

2 hours ago, Mike S said:

I'd say that playing this before the other games might actually be a really decent way for newcomers to get into them rather than ruining them. 

Elden Ring allows you to get a proper feel for FROM's systems, how they build worlds, how they treat the player, how combat works, etc, etc but always with a get out cause when things start to get hard. There are so many options here and it is so easy to just walk away from a boss fight and go and explore somewhere else whilst you develop your character, level up gear, and become more adept.

The previous games have considerably less freedom which means many hit a roadblock that frustrates (although FROM always offer help which can make the harder parts plenty manageable) and, without that freedom to just run or ride off, it can be a challenge. This does create to a constant tension when exploring as the risk v reward is very high but that has always been my favourite aspect of them and that is. so far at least, not quite as prevalent in this. ER allows the player escape danger pretty easily but there have already been places where I've been a bit worried about losing my loot and not getting back to it safely (and I've not even been into one of the 'legacy' dungeons yet) so it does have the grim fear of previous work, just not quite as constant or overbearing.

TLDR: play this, then play Dark Souls, Bloodborne, and Sekiro before going back to DaS 2 and Das 3. That should keep you busy until the next FROM game.

thanks @Mortis, @Uncle Nasty, @Mike S
I think after DaS I’ll be able to appreciate each game as its own thing, it has had 11 years of progress since it’s release I guess. 

Ironically, DaS has got so far under my skin that I’m almost more tempted to give a bit of love to NG+ on that before moving on. 

2 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

That “critical path” thing is nonsense btw; earlier I was finishing off the area down south and the golden swishy arrow in the map was pointing at a castle I’d already cleared completely. No idea what it’s supposed to be doing. 

I thought it was kinda obvious, the grace points point you towards the four demigods who've got Elden Ring shards, i.e. the bosses from the intro.. 

17 minutes ago, Uzi said:

The guard counter and jump R2 are my go to melee moves. You don't need parry. The guard counter isn't brainless as it isn't instant so you can't just bang it in the middle of an enemy chain of attacks but has the satisfying feel of a parry. The jump R2 is great for avoiding an quick short attack and then breaking the enemies guard too. 

I'm playing a magic build but carrying a magic infused axe I use with the above on mobs to save my FP.

Apologies for dumb question but what’s the difference between a guard counter and parry, is a parry when you use L2, if so what’s a guard counter?

5 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

It points to something interesting/important nearby. Not critical path.

On 26/02/2022 at 23:12, footle said:

series x with vrr is ok.

is it ok that I laughed out loud as that boar(?) charged into your side,  mid massive frame stutter?

Nope it was hilarious, that’s why I used that clip! I was laughing my head off when it happened. Those freezes happen constantly even in menus unfortunately so I’ve abandoned PC altogether. I’ve put 20 hours into the PS4 version on PS5 since Saturday and it’s fantastic. Absolutely the definitive experience if you want a set-and-forget 60fps experience. 

4 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

Apologies for dumb question but what’s the difference between a guard counter and parry, is a parry when you use L2, if so what’s a guard counter?

Hold L1 to block, let enemy hit your block, continue to hold L1 and press R2 to guard counter. Doesn't work* if an enemy has a quick follow-up attack to the one you just blocked, but it is good for taking a chunk off enemies and getting them to stun.

edit: Well, it does, but you're likely to get hit before you get your counter in.

edit 2: It's L1, not L2!! :facepalm:

2 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

Hold L1 to block an attack, then press R2 after a successful block to guard counter. It’s very easy to do (infinitely easier than parry) and can be buffed via various means. It’s a really good tactic for sword and board players. 

4 minutes ago, robdood said:

I thought it was kinda obvious, the grace points point you towards the four demigods who've got Elden Ring shards, i.e. the bosses from the intro.. 

Yeah except it doesn’t. I think others are right in that it just points you towards a nearby major point of interest, regardless of whether or not you’ve done it. In my case it was pointing me towards 

Spoiler

Castle Morne

Which I’d already completely cleared. 

Just snuck in another 45 minutes at lunchtime. I'm not addicted, I can stop any time. 

I found my way I to the second area without swinging my weapon. None of this Margret rubbish. This isn't a criticism just how it is, but it is very easy to run around and past enemies once you have the horse. I've gathered up a lot of resources/ smithing stones/ rune stones doing this and been to many areas away from the starting one. I feel like I'm seeing an awful lot before time, for better or worse. 

Problem is, I'm not using any of the items I'm finding as I still have starting weapons and don't know how my build is going to work out. 

All good though. Seeing some performance issues with xbone at times and having played it on the SX at the weekend there's a massive difference in the performance and look of the game, but it is still very playable and still looks stunning/ like a 360 game. 

Just now, robdood said:

Also you don't need a shield for the guard counter, you can do it while two handing any melee weapon. 

Honestly I always forget you can block with 2 handed weapons in Souls games. Must remember as I'm quite often two-handing things in this playthrough. 

I want to give a shout out to the awesome graphical design of Stormvale castle. Its almost as good looking as the Demon Souls remake castle, I love the design of the ramparts and all the offshoots of the castle on cliffs and such, which you know you'll get to eventually.

Last night I finally killed Tree Sentinel! It took a lot of attempts, I ended up using the Soldiers spirit to help distract him (the wolves could die in a few hits), and gave up on using the axe. Instead I just timed my straight sword charges very carefully and learned the dodge timings for all his attacks. Failure to dodge was either instadeath or almost death, and like most bosses he has a nasty habit of charging you when you are chugging health. Hard fight but really fun, his animations are superb and the variety of attacks makes it unpredictable. Its also a cool environment to fight him in, the best bet is to lure him to the open field below his path.

This morning I've been thoroughly exploring the rest of the first map zone (mainly the plateaus just below Stormvale, under the huge bridge). I discovered 2 new caves, one was easy and the other I've still to do. I also found a bunch of items and weapons on various places in the world, and even a few NPCs. I also found a lance, which sounds great fun, so I might put some points into STR at some point just to love out my jousting fantasies. I tried out the gaeol boss near Stormvale and noped out of that after one instadeath attempt. Although the world does have emptier sections you ride around so fast its not a big deal, and constantly run into little guard posts, big mobs, and other content. When I play again later I think I'll be attempting the end castle boss again. I've deliberately been sticking to the Stormvale map's boundaries to avoid getting too OP, and to pace out my exploration with mainline content.

I finally put some upgrades into my straight sword as I've been finding stones more regularly, even though I'm sure I'll be using something different soon. So far I've found the weapon skill ashes to be pretty useless for my build but I can see how they would be good for tankier builds or PVP. I've also found some talismans which are a nice way to further customise builds.

I have to re-iterate how much better fun this game's hard fights are compared to past Souls because they finally put checkpoints next to the encounters. On PS5 the loading times on death or teleporting are also very short so there's very little annoying downtime, you can just get straight back into the action. No more soul sapping bonfire runs, and I'm all for it. 

8 minutes ago, scottcr said:

The woman who gives you the summoning bell won’t appear for me at the church at night :(

I think if you leave it too long she won't appear there but you can meet her at the round table I think.

Not played more then 8 hrs but the best thing that happened so far has to be opening a chest that transported me into an area that felt more Bloodborne then Souls, way out East. Tickled a few enemies with my Estoc +1 and they were having none of it 🤣 Got summoned a few times and died instantly from attacks the host and his mate were tanking with ease. Figured i wasn't really supposed to be there yet but explored the area for some juicy goodies. Good stuff. 

58 minutes ago, yakumo said:

I thought fighting Margit was to progress the story?. I feel so stupid now as I was thinking too linear I didn't think of exploring, I was following the light thingy to the next part and assumed I had to beat him to get anywhere.

Oh it is. But you really don't need to do that yet is the key thing. 

There's loads of doable areas to explore first and it's really bloody fun to do so.

8 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

Found a hyper-aggressive boss

Reveal hidden contents

Royal Revenant

It doesn’t even give you a second to get summons out :lol:

If that is the one I am thinking of, it took me about 30 attempts last night as i pure caster and a very small health pool.

EDIT. Ah no it wasn't, the one I was thinking of was more fire based lol.