IGNORED

Elden Ring - chortlesome japes

Broker

12 minutes ago, cassidy said:

Leave Margit, explore. Get some runes and helpful items and weapons. Level up and come back later? 

I thought fighting Margit was to progress the story?. I feel so stupid now as I was thinking too linear I didn't think of exploring, I was following the light thingy to the next part and assumed I had to beat him to get anywhere.

10 minutes ago, deerokus said:

Parry is definitely less of a thing than some previous games. I can't even block in my sword and magic build but don't really need to.

So its not me then, I want to parry as its so satisfying when it does work but it seems so tight that its nigh on impossible. 

2 minutes ago, yakumo said:

I thought fighting Margit was to progress the story?. I feel so stupid now as I was thinking too linear I didn't think of exploring, I was following the light thingy to the next part and assumed I had to beat him to get anywhere.

You will eventually need to beat him but it's an open world game, plenty of other places to go and things to do until you feel more confident taking him on.

It can take a bit to wrap your head around how open the game is.

Re: parrying, there's one more aspect to it in this game, the enemies have an invisible posture gauge (annoyingly referred to as 'super armour', lol) which you need to break in order to get a riposte in the usual dark souls sense. 

Some enemies will need more than one parry to achieve this.  But it does mean you can actually parry and riposte bosses these days! 

2 minutes ago, yakumo said:

Haha i did him around level 30 with 15+ hours on the clock. If someone tells me to head for a scary looking castle I’m off in the opposite direction to have a nose around for 15 hours.

Also - R1 spam in this game is basically rubbish, you really want to get into the habit of using jumping R2, running R2 and fully charge R2 to force enemies into riposte state. 

It's a bit different to the older games in that sense!

The best view I’ve seen in any game ever is the one you get out the back of Stormveil Castle, when you stand on a cliff edge and look east across the blue-misted lakes and treetops in the massive valley below. Utterly astonishing.

The guard counter and jump R2 are my go to melee moves. You don't need parry. The guard counter isn't brainless as it isn't instant so you can't just bang it in the middle of an enemy chain of attacks but has the satisfying feel of a parry. The jump R2 is great for avoiding an quick short attack and then breaking the enemies guard too. 

I'm playing a magic build but carrying a magic infused axe I use with the above on mobs to save my FP.

Just jumped on at lunch time, meaning to potter about and make some more arrows, but ended up beating my first boss!

Spoiler

I'm not sure it really counts as a boss, as it was so easy.  Beastman of Farum Azula, in a cave I'd missed right near the start.  He had a proper boss energy bar, so I'm counting it as my first boss kill.  My wolves did most of the work though.

2 minutes ago, deerokus said:

You will eventually need to beat him but it's an open world game, plenty of other places to go and things to do until you feel more confident taking him on.

It can take a bit to wrap your head around how open the game is.

Thanks, I was just going from A - B and since it was only a hour into the game I assumed I had to visit these places and deal with Margit before the game opens up and having to explore. I guess was treating the game like Zelda BOTW which is similar but more focused on guiding the player where to go and do. But that's my fault.

This thread makes me think theres some kind of psychological thesis to be written about how different people play this game.

some wonder off, some do what they are told and head straight for certain death at the castle, other jump around one shoting everything hating on the game.

its hilarious.

4 minutes ago, Melon_Bread said:

Haha i did him around level 30 with 15+ hours on the clock. If someone tells me to head for a scary looking castle I’m off in the opposite direction to have a nose around for 15 hours.

Yeah I was fighting him at level 15, I should have twigged something was not going right.

Just now, jonamok said:

The best view I’ve seen in any game ever is the one you get out the back of  Stormveil Castle, when you stand on a cliff edge and look east across the blue-misted lakes and treetops in the massive valley below. Utterly astonishing.

It's insane. I took a screenshot of it on steam but because I had HDR on it came out washed out.

So resorting to phone pics as I'm too lazy to toggle HDR off and keeping in with the 360 grafix theme.

This is me lad after 10 hours. Check out the cup protection.

elden.thumb.jpg.2a4d92ea2f8103cb4766ffe8743c9a1f.jpg

6 minutes ago, Melon_Bread said:

This is you:

image.png.76b697a46e8b02cc609bbea04facba56.png

;) 

6 minutes ago, deerokus said:

There's also a new guard counter mechanic which is like a mini-parry which might work. I ditched the shield pretty earlier on though so don't know much about it.

If anyone needs to learn this they could fast travel over to the beginning and do the combat tutorial again as it covers this. I completely missed this section early on by mistake(as quite a few others did I believe 😂)!  

Just now, Doctor Shark said:

Sooo…what’s the largest amount of runes anyone has lost in one go? I’ll go first…

:facepalm:

Haha, you know full well that those are rookie numbers in these games. :) 

6 minutes ago, yakumo said:

Thanks, I was just going from A - B and since it was only a hour into the game I assumed I had to visit these places and deal with Margit before the game opens up and having to explore. I guess was treating the game like Zelda BOTW which is similar but more focused on guiding the player where to go and do. But that's my fault.

There’s something to acquire to make the first part of the battle easier. I haven’t done this yet, but someone else will be able to help you. 

4 hours ago, Thor said:

As much as I disliked the first proper look at the open world a player gets, even I wouldn't say it's 360 graphics. :lol:

I mean, we've gone from this:

Xbox 360 Dark Souls

1794922-608635_20110930_002.jpg

To this:

PC Elden Ring

screen036.jpg

I stand by my comment that the yellow leaved trees look dogshit from a distance, they just look flat, and it's odd that the devs went with those for the first proper introduction to the open world when there are so many stunning vistas (the sea views are immense!) 

also

3 minutes ago, Dan said:

If anyone needs to learn this they could fast travel over to the beginning and do the combat tutorial again as it covers this. I completely missed this section early on by mistake(as quite a few others did I believe 😂)!  

Also you don't need a shield for the guard counter, you can do it while two handing any melee weapon. 

7 minutes ago, Uzi said:

It's insane. I took a screenshot of it on steam but because I had HDR on it came out washed out.

So resorting to phone pics as I'm too lazy to toggle HDR off and keeping in with the 360 grafix theme.

This is me lad after 10 hours. Check out the cup protection.

elden.thumb.jpg.2a4d92ea2f8103cb4766ffe8743c9a1f.jpg

Prioritising your balls, before your brain like a true warrior! 😂😂

I lost 6k this morning because I went AFK next to a grace point at the start of a bridge. When I came back after 15 mins it appears a boss type enemy on the bridge had aggroed me a few times and killed me. Really sucks because it was my spoils from over an hour of exploring the overworld, and 6k is a lot at this early stage of the game! So don't go AFK at open world grace points unless you are certain it's safe!