IGNORED

Elden Ring - chortlesome japes

Broker

Can we also acknowledge how beautifully drawn the map is. It’s brilliant and 100x better than some 3D Skyrim style zoom out. 

I typically hate displaying computer game posters etc, but I’ld put that map up in a heartbeat. 

3 minutes ago, Let us measure said:

Could anyone tell me how to actually use the skills I supposedly attain from equipping ashes of war? I've got a couple now, including some kind of ground stomp move and quick step, but I've got no clue how to pull the moves off... 

L2/LT depending on platform

How do I summon things? I’ve got a couple now but doesn’t seem to let me do it but no obvious reason why…

also, how do I get folks to help me? I’ve placed things down and ended up in other peoples games, but can’t get folks into mine…

Grave Warden Duelist down, took a few goes, and I had him down to a third on my first go before he changes to a new phase. But when I beat him, he didn't get a chance to change to that. 😎

I'm now off to the south to take back a fort for the "Great Kenneth Haight!" 

15 minutes ago, Let us measure said:

Hmm, that allows me to fire a super shot from my bow, but not anything from my sword. Do I have to be using the sword double-handed? 

As far as I know, yes.

Mar (the Git) down! Huzzah! Used the tactics I listed in the spoiler post above. Still took a bunch of attempts but got there in the end. Also didn't realise there is hardly any cooldown on the spell so that helped deal out some extra hits. I did him so much better this time one of my wolves even survived! Onto the castle! So glad to see the back of him! I do love his moveset though, I will definitely help out with him in co-op soon, he reminds me a lot of the best boss in Souls, Slave Knight Gael.

Not very far in, but loving it so far (postman came yesterday afternoon).  I've started as a Bandit, but read upthread that they were weak as piss.  Oh well, I'm committed now.  

I stupidly decided to go all in with my notebook / adventure journal, which I'm enjoying immensely, but I seem to be spending more time drawing little pictures in my notebook of people I meet than actually playing the game, so I fear this decision may slow down my progress somewhat.

Only came here to ask about the bloodstains not doing anything, but that's the same for everyone else, right?

2 minutes ago, Ste Pickford said:

Not very far in, but loving it so far (postman came yesterday afternoon).  I've started as a Bandit, but read upthread that they were weak as piss.  Oh well, I'm committed now.  

I stupidly decided to go all in with my notebook / adventure journal, which I'm enjoying immensely, but I seem to be spending more time drawing little pictures in my notebook of people I meet than actually playing the game, so I fear this decision may slow down my progress somewhat.

Only came here to ask about the bloodstains not doing anything, but that's the same for everyone else, right?

Bandit isn’t weak as piss, and once you’ve gained a few levels any class is viable - you don’t even have to stay as a bandit - really that just determines a starting stat spread and your starting gear. 

And blood stains not working is an issue for some, not everyone, it seems. 

PS: I would very much like to see that notebook once you’re done with it, it sounds wonderful! 

41 minutes ago, Let us measure said:

Hmm, that allows me to fire a super shot from my bow, but not anything from my sword. Do I have to be using the sword double-handed? 

You have to not have anything that has a skill in your left hand (so no shield with Parry). So until you find a No Skill ash, yeah, you either have to unequip your shield or two-hand your weapon.

41 minutes ago, Mortis said:

@scottcr there’s a crafting item - furlcalling something or other that you use for summoning into your game. 

Thanks, just did my first Summon and took down a Wolf mini boss in a cave, thanks to James whoever he was 😄.

ok so hit a bit of a sticking point in the castle and thought id have an explore.

I found a little ruin with a trip switch....

Spoiler

After travelling downwards for a minute I  discovered a whole new area which is even bigger than the fucking map overground! I bet there will be a flying steed and a city in the clouds I can feel it.

This game!

I’m still in the starting area and just fought a couple of bosses I’d missed:

Spoiler

Pumpkin boi and Stone Cat

And then I set out to investigate the foot of the tree:

Spoiler

Cool, a lift. What’s this then a little dungeon? It’s going down an awfully long way…

“Press R3 to switch between surface and underground maps”

Oh my fucking god. Screw BotW - is this a Link to the Past?! 

Amazing scenes! 

6 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

What's the deal with the spirit bell summons, then? You can only use them at certain times?

I’m curious about this too. I fought a boss which was through a warp and it wouldn’t let me use them. Also I can’t seem to use them twice in a fight, even if I top up my FP.

I've bounced off every other souls game and soulslike game but this one has hooked me and I'm making progress. I think it's the open world design. If I get stuck at a certain point I can wander off in a different direction. Also despite still being hard as nails there appear to be a lot of concessions to accessability. grace sites being all over the place and spirit summons to name but two.

Spent the morning getting back to the main quest line after 7 hours of wandering. 

Stormveil Castle Is immense. Properly lost at points and then it all clicks. 

Killed the boss and then had to really force myself to quit playing, just wanted to see what was down the next ladder. Amazing game. 

This is incredible and it's amazing to see so many people enjoying it, it's deserving of all the gushing reviews. After defating Margit I couldn't make much progress in the castle beyond so instead I've gone on a jaunt around the south island for what must be many many hours now. The sights I've seen and enemies I've fought, all so incredible! Time to head back to the castle I guess! I don't suppose anyone knows how to interpret the status icons you get under your health bar, I know one is increased health from my talisman but I've got another 2 one of which is negative and I have no idea what it is or causing it. It's a red square with arrow pointing down?

16 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

I’m curious about this too. I fought a boss which was through a warp and it wouldn’t let me use them. Also I can’t seem to use them twice in a fight, even if I top up my FP.

Yeah, they can only be used once between grace sites, and only in area where a little portcullis icon appears on the left of the screen.

37 minutes ago, MrCarrot said:

You have to not have anything that has a skill in your left hand (so no shield with Parry). So until you find a No Skill ash, yeah, you either have to unequip your shield or two-hand your weapon.

That makes sense, ta. 

13 minutes ago, Minion said:

This is incredible and it's amazing to see so many people enjoying it, it's deserving of all the gushing reviews. After defating Margit I couldn't make much progress in the castle beyond so instead I've gone on a jaunt around the south island for what must be many many hours now. The sights I've seen and enemies I've fought, all so incredible! Time to head back to the castle I guess! I don't suppose anyone knows how to interpret the status icons you get under your health bar, I know one is increased health from my talisman but I've got another 2 one of which is negative and I have no idea what it is or causing it. It's a red square with arrow pointing down?

Did you get a hug from the woman at the roundtable?

If you did then use the item she gave you and rest