IGNORED

Elden Ring - chortlesome japes

Broker

Anyone else explored through the Imp gate in the Stranded Graveyard?

Spoiler

There's a chariot that chases you and a super tough snake root boss at the bottom. Just managed to take him down, after half an hour of trying. My heart is fucking hammering.

I found a suspicious device that when touched asked me if I wanted to be transported. I decided to YOLO it and bugger me but it actually took me somewhere that's going to be very useful later.

15 minutes ago, Number 28 said:

I think at one point it explained that if you clear a camp/group of enemies, you have a chance of your flasks being restocked.

I find the ash of war things tend to nerf my weapon slightly, so better off not bothering unless I'm going to be using the L2 skill a lot. I'm always hiding behind a shield, so...

Cheers mate! That explains it perfectly, because it was the last enemy in the quest it did it with. Also just had it happen again with a few packs of wolves nearby, and it did it multiple times. Now completely llost where the bloke is I need to return to and what it was he actually wanted doing in the first place. Lol. 

Think I’ve twigged onto some more stuff about the world too. :)

8 hours ago, sammy said:

Finally! That sodding brass shield dropped after hours of farming. Cheers for the replies, think I would have given up on it if it hadn’t dropped for anybody else.

I read your posts earlier so was aware of this shield - was in a fight with some guys and one tooted a trumpet and some other knobheads rocked up. First one dropped a brass shield :lol:

Right, enough for tonight but good progress made!

Spoiler

Castle Morne and boss cleared

Murkwater Catacombs and boss cleared

Deathtouched Catacombs and boss cleared 

Stormfoot Catacombs and boss cleared 

All sites of grace in Stormveil Castle unlocked, so will try the boss there tomorrow. 

11 hours on the clock, level 23. 

Currently using a Lordsworn’s Greatsword + 4 and a Great Turtle Shell + 2 shield which, when I wear it on my back, makes me look like a turtle. It also has passive stamina regen  

33 minutes ago, Number 28 said:

I think at one point it explained that if you clear a camp/group of enemies, you have a chance of your flasks being restocked.

I find the ash of war things tend to nerf my weapon slightly, so better off not bothering unless I'm going to be using the L2 skill a lot. I'm always hiding behind a shield, so...

They look like they will nerf it because they have the option to change the scaling (e.g. Str or Quality). If you set it to the correct scaling for your build you should be good. 

I wasn't gonna put it on because it was defaulting to Quality which nerfed the damage for me but Str was all good. 

2 hours ago, QuackQuack said:

That’s basically where you end up when you’re finished there. You can carry on and skip the whole castle if you want.

Ah ok. So I assume beating Magrit takes me into the castle through the front entrance? 

What's the benefit to not skipping the castle? I've already killed one boss that seemed to be a part of the main questline 

Spoiler

Leonine something

Without getting any perceivable advantage from doing so. I.e no bell of awakening moment. Or key that unlocks a new area. 

'Looks like Dragon's Dogma', lol

Spoiler

1169336591_Screenshot2022-02-27002846.thumb.jpg.a5cc9ceb95e3025ebeec2ef934b3de50.jpg

Think I managed to circumvent the castle!!  But I am now practicing Margit because it looks like there'll be a good proper dark souls level after him!! 

What a fucking game though.  I have so many place to go and check out I'm proper choice-paralysed! 

Holy shit! The open world setup is waaaaaay better in this location. There’s stuff of interest that grabs your attention to head towards, found a handful of ruins, an NPC with a quest, a fort, a shopkeeper, a mini dungeon, some cool loot, new enemies and the enemies are more interesting to fight as they swarm you if you’re not careful........and there’s now a day/night cycle which I’m convinced wasn’t in place before. The big dungeon I did was fucking awesome too. Looking forward to going back and slapping the boss about. I’m absolutely wrecked but just don’t want to stop playing!

2 hours ago, Melon_Bread said:

yes I just did that bit, it's actually not random, did you...

Hide contents

Kill the Mariner and then speak to the guy in the strange armor? He send you there.

Absolutely loving this, having a nose around ruins and diving into dungeons is my jam. Around level 25 and have not even seen the first proper boss yet, shudder to think about big this game actually is.

Nope! 

Had a battle with the

Spoiler

mariner

but legged it as I ran out of health. Don't think I spoke to anyone in strange armour but that's not saying much with my memory. 

Quite possibly one of the most beautiful games I've played...

Spoiler

Just took a lift down in the Siofta River Well and... wow!

... so why, oh why is there no photo mode? Or even a first person view outside of the telescope, for screenshots of the landscape?

22 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

Holy shit! The open world setup is waaaaaay better in this location. There’s stuff of interest that grabs your attention to head towards, found a handful of ruins, an NPC with a quest, a fort, a shopkeeper, a mini dungeon, some cool loot, new enemies and the enemies are more interesting to fight as they swarm you if you’re not careful........and there’s now a day/night cycle which I’m convinced wasn’t in place before. The big dungeon I did was fucking awesome too. Looking forward to going back and slapping the boss about. I’m absolutely wrecked but just don’t want to stop playing!

This is how it’s been for most of us from the start, where the hell did you go.

Ha, what a weird bit of 'practice' against Margit that was.  Tried a bunch of coop, thought ~I'd at least earn some runes from the fights and be able to level a bit.  Not a single victory, hosts dying all over the shop, I wonder if people are just going to him without even upgrading their weapons?  IT was very hard.  Didn't even really get to learn the fight very well. 

I decided to call it a night.  Thought I'd have one go solo, and bloody did it first time  :lol:  Thanks jellyfish buddy!!  

22 minutes ago, DeciderVT said:

Quite possibly one of the most beautiful games I've played...

Reveal hidden contents

Just took a lift down in the Siofta River Well and... wow!

... so why, oh why is there no photo mode? Or even a first person view outside of the telescope, for screenshots of the landscape?

I visited this place tonight too!! Did you get there the same way I did? i.e. by er.. not listening to a particular NPC?

Need to call it a night now. Basically been playing all day and still feel like there is so so much to do and see. When you're doing a dungeon the level design is every bit as good as you'd expect from a Souls game but it's now married to this sprawling, mysterious open world to explore.

I don't know if I'd go along with the comments that it's beyond anything you could ever expect. It's actually exactly what I expected from Souls in an open world and it certainly isn't immune to repetitive open world tropes (clear out 20x bandit camps to open a chest, the familiar room layouts in the catacombs which can feel a bit randomly generated after you've done a few etc) but it disguises them better than most.

What a game.

Despite the house move I've managed to give this a bit of a go — an hour yesterday, three hours tonight — and it's a bit good! It's the first Souls game whose aesthetic I really love; it has viable stealth for most enemies; features the option to avoid bosses entirely so far (castle schmastle, I'm exploring side passages/swamps/graveyards and having a great time); and is packed with deadly areas/enemies to catch the unaware.

Basically, the game currently feels like the very best bits of Morrowind; exploring an alien, threatening world; trying to figure out what's going on; constantly testing your own boundaries. I'm loving it.

(also, I had a lovely time in the character creator, making an uncanny valley younger me; so that was nice!)

Only downsides are technical: playing on XSX, quality mode is just painful, so performance it has to be — and though that usually feels good courtesy of VRR, it still visibly struggles on occasion. Also, I've not managed to connect to the network at all, so having a solo souls experience — which at least means I've not had the traditional "getting invaded and ruining my fun" part of the souls experience so far, so that's something! 

13 minutes ago, robdood said:

I visited this place tonight too!! Did you get there the same way I did? i.e. by er.. not listening to a particular NPC?

That’s where I’ve been tonight. Just randomly found the lift. Had a quick go at the boss which is doable but would take ages to chip away at then decided to head back out and try exploring again. 

Just found a portal behind a random tree that’s transported me to some weird hellish chapel. Calling it a night there as my eyes feel totally fried. 

After tooling about a bit more in Caelid and nabbing some more high-powered items on suicide runs, I decided to head back to the starting area. It's been great fun exploring everything I missed before now that I've got a few levels under my belt.

I took down the 

Spoiler

Tree Sentinel first time

then went down to the beach and found a 

Spoiler

cave which led to two demi-human chiefs. This was the first time I'd seen an NPC summon, so I called him up and we both slaughtered them.

After that it was back to the Gatehouse Ruins (or whatever they're called) to kill everyone there too and grab the map fragment I'd missed. I found a

Spoiler

mini-dungeon I'd completely overlooked on my first run through and took the boss down there, too.

Finally time for bed! Fantastic game.

23 minutes ago, Wiper said:

Despite the house move I've managed to give this a bit of a go — an hour yesterday, three hours tonight — and it's a bit good! It's the first Souls game whose aesthetic I really love; it has viable stealth for most enemies; features the option to avoid bosses entirely so far (castle schmastle, I'm exploring side passages/swamps/graveyards and having a great time); and is packed with deadly areas/enemies to catch the unaware.

Basically, the game currently feels like the very best bits of Morrowind; exploring an alien, threatening world; trying to figure out what's going on; constantly testing your own boundaries. I'm loving it.

(also, I had a lovely time in the character creator, making an uncanny valley younger me; so that was nice!)

Only downsides are technical: playing on XSX, quality mode is just painful, so performance it has to be — and though that usually feels good courtesy of VRR, it still visibly struggles on occasion. Also, I've not managed to connect to the network at all, so having a solo souls experience — which at least means I've not had the traditional "getting invaded and ruining my fun" part of the souls experience so far, so that's something! 

Morrowind is a fantastic comparison. It is interesting to see how much AAA Open Worlds have just lost touch with much more vague, and way less friendly (but fair) design. 

If you tell me to venture beyond the treeline where the mushrooms are, without a pin to go to, I don't even care if I get a bag of rotten berries. That sense of discovery, whilst having to pay attention to surroundings is just perfect. 

I hope more take this approach going forward. Let's regress back to a time where we actually have to read and watch, rather than follow. And if someone struggles, tell them not to be afraid and to look online (or help them if you can!), as this sort of design actually creates a sense of community discovery. As much as the press may occasionally say the souls games have a toxic culture, they really don't, and the conversations and assistance are ace. 

I am so happy!! The universal emote in Souls games is press block in quick succession and wiggle your shield/weapon about, so you know you're cooperating with veterans.

Now, the new success emote is just press jump repeatedly. At least that's the trend I'm helping build. 

53 minutes ago, robdood said:

I went in search of a howling noise and thought "What's this building doing here? Better look inside..." I was just expecting a chest or something. :lol:

Finally had chance to play tonight, did about 4 hours with my nephew in coop - 100% spoiler free just getting into trouble and working out how things work, absolutely magical, pure adventure and wonder every moment.

Is there an item later on that allows you to see summon signs without crafting fingers? Can see that becoming a tad tiresome.

Only got an hour or so with it today, put it on to show my gf (who is very excited by it, and is playing Dark Souls currently).

”Oh check out this dragon, it’ll kill me in a sec but I’ll just ride around it a bit so you can have a look at it…”

Spoiler

I now possess its heart. :) 

Also, came across a very un-signposted and nondescript area of sparse trees with some goats, where there was…

Spoiler

An invisible man asking for help

This would have been incredibly easy to miss so Christ knows how many things like this are tucked away in the whole game!

Also I wondered why my map was so sparse - finally found a thing that filled in a section of it in detail. Much better!