IGNORED

Elden Ring - chortlesome japes

Broker

There's... so much... I'm flabbergasted. I know what I can do, but I'm constantly arguing with myself whether to explore more, improve weaponry, stats, or try to take down that one mini-boss... It's a veritable feast of fun Soulsborne bits. Just wow.

1 minute ago, Cyhwuhx said:

There's... so much... I'm flabbergasted. I know what I can do, but I'm constantly arguing with myself whether to explore more, improve weaponry, stats, or try to take down that one mini-boss... It's a veritable feast of fun Soulsborne bits. Just wow.

This totally. It's incredible. 

3 minutes ago, robdood said:

One pro tip I just want to give everyone when starting out is, as tempting as it is to go wandering, its really worth just following the light of grace at the start because... 

Hide contents

When you eventually reach the boss, even if he kills you, resting at a bonfire will open up the hub area which includes vendors etc

Just use Torrent and run past in everything! 

Speed runs are gonna be mad in this game! 

I'm not sure what triggers access to that area, but I haven't followed the lights of grace that far, and I got access to it as well after a few hours.

Second mini boss down. 

Spoiler

He was in that cave I found earlier, some guy called patches who I allowed to live after taking his health down to half a bar.

I don't trust him mind but he has promised to sell me some stuff later on. 

Just now, MrCarrot said:

I'm not sure what triggers access to that area, but I haven't followed the lights of grace that far, and I got access to it as well after a few hours.

Oh interesting. Perhaps it's time based then! Or maybe on souls earned or enemies killed or something! 

How mysterious and awesome. 

This freaking game. 

6 minutes ago, robdood said:

One pro tip I just want to give everyone when starting out is, as tempting as it is to go wandering, its really worth just following the light of grace at the start because... 

Reveal hidden contents

When you eventually reach the boss, even if he kills you, resting at a bonfire will open up the hub area which includes vendors etc

Spoiler

I think that's linked to amount of Grace Points you found? Mine unlocked at the second one I found after escaping...

Spoiler

that fucking chest.

Mine happened after getting hammered by the first castle boss a few times after 12hrs+ of play so who knows? 

Get him half way and think definitely doable but wandered off again. 

That red place

Spoiler

Caelid

shall we say just gives me RE4 gone mad atmospherics. And the lead up/journey to it. Masterful. 

14 minutes ago, robdood said:

Hide contents

Just use Torrent and run past everything! 

You can also get to what is in your spoiler by going 'around the back'. I just found this out, it was a glorious moment.

12 minutes ago, Number 28 said:

Yeah, I just got there. Crazy stuff.

Longest lift ever! :lol:

That's what made me go...WTF, the scale yesterday. Had a good old run round but will come back at a later date. 

Also found the other entrance in I think. And everyone's favorite, a huge swamp. Noped out of there for now. 

Just completed Castle Morne and now I'm gonna try rinsing the peninsula area. The boss was giving me all kinds of grief until I unleashed the jellyfish and then it was a walk in the park. Not sure if these summon ashes push things too far in the opposite direction in terms of difficulty? I'd rather have them than get stuck on a boss for hours and hours anyway.

17 minutes ago, robdood said:

Hide contents

Just use Torrent and run past everything! 

That opens up eventually anyway without needing to fight that boss. Not sure what else triggers it but you don't not to try the boss to get access.

1 hour ago, Number 28 said:

I'm curious about those small crucifixion statues (with the curved upper part) which you interact with and it says 'summoning pool is now functional'? It took me a while to realise I could interact with them. Before you interact, do summons not appear or something? Is it important to activate them? I thought there was an item (Furcalling Finger Remedy?) to make those appear? Confusing.

These are usually just before bosses - if activated, you’ll have the choice to respawn there on death, or go back to the last place of grace. 

I’m about 5 hours in and loving this so far. So much to do!

I spent a good amount of time hanging around the soldiers camp near the start to get the hang of fighting on horse back, which is just awesome. Took me a while to realise you can use L1/L2 to swing at enemies on the left side of you - much easier than circling round as I’d been doing previously. 

I’m also loving this thread. I played Dark Souls for the first time in 2020 and completed Dark Souls 2 last month, but this is my first time playing one of these games on release and it’s a joy to feel part of a community of people discovering all this stuff together. 

Right…. cup of tea then back to this first big boss dude. 

3 minutes ago, Popo said:

These are usually just before bosses - if activated, you’ll have the choice to respawn there on death, or go back to the last place of grace. 

No, those are statues of Marika. 

the ones @Number 28 is talking about are the summoning ones - you can summon people without using the usual item, I believe. 

3 hours ago, Popo said:

Not that I can see - I assume it's a resolution and LOD thing, but I can't really discern moment to moment. 

I've got about 10 hours on the clock now - still exploring the first area, but have defeated Magit - good lord, that was a tough fight!  Went to the big lake, as that's one of the few areas I've left to check out at all (at least in the mapped area I've got access to so far) and slaughtered some undead losers. "I'll just loot their stuff from this chest" I thought to myself. Big mistake!

Reveal hidden contents

I got transported to a crystal mine, with enemies against whom slash-type weapons don't do much damage, so my katana is basically useless. Fortunately I found a smash-type weapon, which worked better, but the giant centipede enemies were another matter entirely. I legged it out of there after about 10 deaths and found the exit - I emerged into a godforsaken gloom, dripping with nope. Giant, poison-spewing hulks were everywhere. I'm trapped here!  Curses!  Of course, I forgot about fast travel, so I immediately made like an Erd Tree. 

Reading through the thread I'm amazed at all the stuff I've obviously missed that others have found. I feel like I've found a lot, so it says something about how packed with stuff to discover this game is. I'm deeply grateful that there's basically no to do lists, waypoints or other crap that invariably turns open world games into stressful jobs.  I've bumped into a few characters and done some tasks that progressed their stories - it's really rewarding to play this way, without having to be led by the nose by UI elements. 

I've got a couple of spells - am I right in saying that I need to equip a wand and assign the spell to my memory slots in order to use them?

Re: your spoilered section:

Spoiler

I have literally just been sent there and it is amazing. The initial 'oh no, it's a trap! Those bastards' was worsened when I was annihilated by something that instakilled me and the realisation that I couldn't fast travel out. So, a quick mad dash until I found the exit form the mine and out into that amazing town of spectres. 

I still have my starting club so it manages to smash down those spectral casters albeit taking seven or eight good hits to do so. I am still dying a lot but will be racking up the loot so might treat myself to something at the vendor when I get out.

I'm four hours in now and my wretch has worked out how to don some armour! It's only basic chainmail and a helmet I pillaged but I now feel relatively invincible! So much so that I headed off to the giant stone giant I'd legged it from earlier and, pleasingly, dispatched him easily enough. I was expecting a little reward to drop but not a thing! 

Since then I have been killed by an amazing, seemingly endless variety of weird and wonderful beasts. From your usual giant rats and skeletons all the way through to crazed balls of tentacles and, best yet, a giant barnacled covered bollock that puffs out red death. I've also been to the Round Table hub area once but have no idea how to get back right now but I'm sure that will become clearer as I play on.

I've upgraded my starting club to +2 and only just noticed how to level up my character to next plan is to move on from Level 1 and then really start dishing out some pain to a few gits that have been smacking me down.Thanks to whoever it was who suggested starting as a Wretch as it was a great call - all gear and upgrades feel really significant and well earned. I'm also starting to really get into the club but did find someone selling a longsword so might go and buy that when I get the money as I have always favoured a sword. 

Finally, and for PC users, the latest patch seems to have almost entirely removed the judder as maps load in. I've now got it running at a rock solid 60fps/4K and it looks BEAUTIFUL.

This game! 

4 minutes ago, Popo said:

No, those are different things again. You don't need to activate the marika respawns.

2 minutes ago, Popo said:

I think the summoning pool statues are different to the things you're thinking of (the stakes of Marica)? Stakes of Marica definitely let you respawn at them instead of at bonfires, you don't even have to interact with them, but I didn't really understand what the summoning pool thingies are for - since like @Number 28 says, you can summon anyway by using a furcalling finger remedy.

2 minutes ago, MrCarrot said:

I think the summoning pool statues are different to the things you're thinking of (the stakes of Marica)? Stakes of Marica definitely let you respawn at them instead of at bonfires, you don't even have to interact with them, but I didn't really understand what the summoning pool thingies are for - since like @Number 28 says, you can summon anyway by using a furcalling finger remedy.

I understood it as the effigy collecting all available summons within a zone to one point? Considering it's an open world that kind of made sense to me. Not sure though. Only did one co-op miniboss and we used the finger/crème combo.

27 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

To get back to roundtable, you just port there like anywhere else - it’s in the bottom left of the map. 

Aah, thanks, I hadn’t spotted that.

I’m currently stuck in a place where I can’t fast travel out of so it’s all moot for me right now.

42 minutes ago, El Spatula said:

On the east of the starting area

Hide contents

That big ball of octopus snake tentacle things is a bit... Death inducing. 

Get behind them, hit with fully charged R2 attacks, then hit R1 at the glowing weak spot when they’re staggered for a Bloodborne style visceral attack

2 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Get behind them, hit with fully charged R2 attacks, then hit R1 at the glowing weak spot when they’re staggered for a Bloodborne style visceral attack

They're also susceptible to fire attacks, as are the giant enemy crabs.