Elden Ring - chortlesome japes

Broker

37 minutes ago, MrCarrot said:

The tutorial prompt for this is really badly worded. You don’t have to press R1 + L1 + triangle, just triangle and the attack button of the weapon you want to two-hand (so R1 for right hand, and L1 for left hand)!

Thank you for this, I couldn’t figure it out last night.

15 minutes ago, koefoed said:

A question. Is the loot randomized in this? Have gotten the exact same two things in the two chests at the camp but the actual mobs seem to drop random stuff? Is grinding mobs a way of getting better gear or is that just done by following the story?

You get better gear generally from opening chests, beating bosses and finding loot in the world rather than random low level enemy drops. Periodically also go back vendors as they may have certain conditions that means they offer new stuff, at least that was often the case in previous games.

29 minutes ago, Colonel Panic said:

I'm so out of practice! Picked a prisoner, so the first couple of larger enemies and a boss are really wrecking my shit.

Time to find a shield with more physical block!!

Also, the prisoner starter spell sucks balls!!

No that spell is great. Fire it off and kite your enemy to get hit in the back.

must be locked on though

1 hour ago, spanx said:

Think it’s hinting you to travel that way for the main quest. Might be wrong though

Don't think it can be that straightforward because some of them point in different directions to others. This is making me suspicious of the "critical path" theory that we seem to have settled on in this thread. 

Thinking this is maybe a bit less linear than DS/BB in terms of a main path that needs to be taken through the game. I think I've already finished one "spoke" and it didn't involve Stormhold Castle, where the game seems to pretty strongly encourage you to go first.

Anyone found a bit that asks you to find three wise animals yet? 

Spoiler

I found a phantom tortoise right away after reading the sign (it seemed to have spawned in behind me). Couldn't interact with it in any way, eventually settled on hitting it which made it disappear (not die). Hope I didn't fuck something up. Assuming that was a wise animal (tortoises living for ages and all) that was the only one I could find nearby. Anyone know what this is about? 

4 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

Don't think it can be that straightforward because some of them point in different directions to others. This is making me suspicious of the "critical path" theory that we seem to have settled on in this thread. 

Thinking this is maybe a bit less linear than DS/BB in terms of a main path that needs to be taken through the game. I think I've already finished one "spoke" and it didn't involve Stormhold Castle, where the game seems to pretty strongly encourage you to go first.

Yeah. The definitely do point you to the main path sometimes, but agree that maybe there’s a bit more nuance there I’ve not picked up yet

1 minute ago, Anne Summers said:

Hide contents

I found a phantom tortoise right away after reading the sign (it seemed to have spawned in behind me). Couldn't interact with it in any way, eventually settled on hitting it which made it disappear (not die). Hope I didn't fuck something up. Assuming that was a wise animal (tortoises living for ages and all) that was the only one I could find nearby. Anyone know what this is about? 

Spoiler

Keep looking around. All three aren’t obvious but you did the right thing

I’m out all day today but dying to get back in to this. Think I’m going to invest more time at just getting better with the move set rather than pushing through the first proper dungeon/castle. Still feel I’m flailing around rather than approaching combat carefully. Also think I’ve missed a couple of minor bosses in the first area that’ll provide me some good practice. 

I fucking love this game

5 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

You were right to kill it and there are two more you need to find in the immediate vicinity.

For any new starters just fight naked. You’re going to die in 2-3 hits regardless, so taking off all of your body armour gives you about 8000% more evasion and super-human jumping skills.

Piece of piss after that.

Love the way that the map just goes on forever. You keep thinking you've finally hit a dead end and need to turn back, then you find a tiny passageway and it ends up opening out into a beautiful and expansive new area. These games have always done this, but this one does it better than any of the previous ones. 

1 hour ago, robdood said:

And er, ER easily wins in terms of most other stuff. Like i have encountered more numerous enemy types in the first few hours of this than I did in the whole of BotW..! Ditto rewards / loot for exploring, is a lot better done in this. 

The environment in BOTW was an interactive playground, it encouraged experimentation with the games unparalleled mechanics, this is just an ugly place where you kill enemies.

In BOTW you could create fires to give you an upward gust of wind which meant you could then jump with the glider and arrow attack enemies from the sky. You could roll boulders down hills and destroy enemy placements. You could look at something in the distance, and climb it to see what’s on the other side and glide somewhere else. You could snowboard down hills and then jump on enemies heads to kill them. You can use water to create ice blocks to traverse across. 

This just feels like a shooting gallery in comparison. The environment is there but you can only slowly lumber around it with your character until you find yet another enemy to kill. It’s no step forward for the genre. 

Now thats not to say it’s bad, but it decided to put itself up against the best game ever. 

1 hour ago, Harrisown said:

Yeah one points to a mountain. Went up the left side and there’s nothing up there. Went up the right side 3 times and get jumped buy 15 soldiers all at the same time.

Just ride past them on Torrent 

1 hour ago, NickC said:

I'm trying to grind a little and practice my fighting at the guard encampment at the base of the castle on the cliff. I assume a bit of grinding will help ease the difficulty going forward, right?

I find combat a bit floaty at the moment and I struggle to know how to kill certain enemies (e.g. mosquito beasts on a pond and the captain at the guard encampment). That's normal, right? As I get stronger and practice strategies the nuances of combat will become apparent, right? Or are these ominous signs that this game might not be for me?

Also, I am running away a lot. There's plenty to explore, but also plenty of places I can't go. Again, normal?

I'm an astrologer and there's no way to spam spells, right? You have a limited amount of magic available, so keep it for when you really need it, right?

Yep.

You'll definitely improve so that you can take down that captain, for example. I think the dragonflies (I assume it's those you mean) are just annoying pests where you need to time your attacks - a lot of the time they're unreachable or buzzing about randomly and can be ignored, I find. For Blighttown veterans, this is all quite mild really.

Yep.

You can't spam them, no, but you don't want to save them for a rainy day either! You have your other flask to refill FP and your flasks are replenished when you clear an area (or rest).

16 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

The environment in BOTW was an interactive playground, it encouraged experimentation with the games unparalleled mechanics, this is just an ugly place where you kill enemies.

In BOTW you could create fires to give you an upward gust of wind which meant you could then jump with the glider and arrow attack enemies from the sky. You could roll boulders down hills and destroy enemy placements. You could look at something in the distance, and climb it to see what’s on the other side and glide somewhere else. You could snowboard down hills and then jump on enemies heads to kill them. You can use water to create ice blocks to traverse across. 

This just feels like a shooting gallery in comparison. The environment is there but you can only slowly lumber around it with your character until you find yet another enemy to kill. It’s no step forward for the genre. 

Now thats not to say it’s bad, but it decided to put itself up against the best game ever. 

Yeah the games are not comparable really. They have a common thread of relying on you to define your way forward and a real emphasis on exploration, but Zelda is much more of a space to play, whereas this is a space to fear.

They’re both brilliant games. 

I love that you can 

Spoiler

bypass Stormveil Castle (which I still haven't done!) and end up at Liurnia just by poking around at the end of a collapsed bridge somewhere. It feels like such a huge secret even though an NPC practically points you toward it. I'm not normally interested in open-world games at all but I'm really enjoying ER's commitment to frictionless exploration, non-interference in your personal adventures...

19 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

That's fine if you prefer that kind of experimental physics play, but this game was never going to have that,  it is a strange point of comparison.

2 hours ago, robdood said:

I dunno man, it definitely has that same sense of wonder and adventure that for me only BotW has nailed.. 

And er, ER easily wins in terms of most other stuff. Like i have encountered more numerous enemy types in the first few hours of this than I did in the whole of BotW..! Ditto rewards / loot for exploring, is a lot better done in this. 

And the imagination of the landscape in this is just.. Wow. 

Well they’re very different types of games but I kept seeing BOTW come up in the reviews.

I can’t even climb :(

1 hour ago, koefoed said:

A question. Is the loot randomized in this? Have gotten the exact same two things in the two chests at the camp but the actual mobs seem to drop random stuff? Is grinding mobs a way of getting better gear or is that just done by following the story?

Assuming it works like Dark Souls then the loot is not random, chest would have specific items and yes some enemies would drop thier weapons and armor.

44 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

You’re correct, sir. On the other hand this has combat that is complex and challenging. 

two amazing games, that happily complement one another and should be in everyone’s library. 

1 hour ago, NickC said:

So I bounced off Bloodborne after 3 or 4 hours due to the difficulty. But I'm far more engrossed in this so far. Feels like when I find something too difficult I can just go in another direction and find something new that I can do. Just.

I have a few questions for veterans of the genre. Given that this is my first proper attempt at this sort of game...

I'm trying to grind a little and practice my fighting at the guard encampment at the base of the castle on the cliff. I assume a bit of grinding will help ease the difficulty going forward, right?

I find combat a bit floaty at the moment and I struggle to know how to kill certain enemies (e.g. mosquito beasts on a pond and the captain at the guard encampment). That's normal, right? As I get stronger and practice strategies the nuances of combat will become apparent, right? Or are these ominous signs that this game might not be for me?

Also, I am running away a lot. There's plenty to explore, but also plenty of places I can't go. Again, normal?

I'm an astrologer and there's no way to spam spells, right? You have a limited amount of magic available, so keep it for when you really need it, right?

Sorry for all the noob questions, but a bit of reassurance would be appreciated!

Running away is fine in this game. Practice is always a good idea. Astrologer might be a tough choice for a beginner as you probably will be relying on rolls to avoid damage, so practice your roll timing. Be aware you get invincibility whilst rolling, even if it looks like an attack is going to hit you. You may find that buying/finding a shield and putting points into stamina (or restarting as a class with a shield) could be easier, as blocking is generally easier than rolling to mitigate damage.

Yes it is certainly possible to grind out runes by focussing on smaller tasks like mobs in the overworld, dungeons and so on. If you haven't unlocked levelling up yet, progress a little further along the way the game points you and then you can spend souls on actual points - if you are struggling in combat try putting points into vigour (HP) or endurance (stamina).

Also bear in mind that you can always get sneaky and backstab people for instakills or at least take a decent chunk off the non-boss big enemy health bars. 

18 minutes ago, Melon_Bread said:

Assuming it works like Dark Souls then the loot is not random, chest would have specific items and yes some enemies would drop thier weapons and armor.

Yeah it looks like its random drops from enemies for armour, items and weapons. I got 2 better helmets early on from normal mobs.

I just managed to clear the first camp! 😆

The Halbard was a better option against the Captain, although it took all 5 flasks to get it done.

But I am still not sure how the progression works in this. On my Confessor I got a NPC on returning to the first shop guy, gave me a summoning spell of some sort. But when I return on my Vagabond nothing happens. Not sure if there is something I need to do or if it is a class thing?