IGNORED

Elden Ring - chortlesome japes

Broker

Just took a stroll through…

Spoiler

The coastal path. Managed to kill the twins in the big room on my second go, then carried on and I’m on the island off the south west coast. 

Looks like I have some dragons to hunt

6 hours ago, scottcr said:

Right. This is very good and I’m very much enjoying it… but… it’s no where near a true open world like BOTW.  

I dunno man, it definitely has that same sense of wonder and adventure that for me only BotW has nailed.. 

And er, ER easily wins in terms of most other stuff. Like i have encountered more numerous enemy types in the first few hours of this than I did in the whole of BotW..! Ditto rewards / loot for exploring, is a lot better done in this. 

And the imagination of the landscape in this is just.. Wow. 

Just now, smithstock said:

I imagine this has been asked already, but on the Map - what are the little yellow squiggles next to some Graces? Do those mean something?

Think it’s hinting you to travel that way for the main quest. Might be wrong though

Had a little go last night, just got past the very start. Fantastic atmosphere that only From do. Love that jump and R2 attack. Thought pressing R1+R2+triangle to two hand weapons seemed a bit unwieldy, sure I’ll get used to it though. 

I thought performance was fine though not silky smooth, but I’m not really that sensitive to such things unless the frame rate is abominable. Playing in fidelity mode and it looks lovely. 

5 minutes ago, smithstock said:

I imagine this has been asked already, but on the Map - what are the little yellow squiggles next to some Graces? Do those mean something?

spanx is correct above: this is the direction in which Grace is guiding you for the main story line. You are free to ignore it, of course.

Almost managed to kill the bigger guy in the first little camp. Not fond of the respawning mobs, removes a bit of the immersion seeing the exact same NPC you killed only 2 min ago. A more classic respawn timer rather than respawn on death or resting would be better.

I have to say I feel completely the opposite about which would be more immersive out of a simple timer or resting at a bonfire Grace. Even besides it fitting the world better, you clear out an area and you've earned its emptiness, to explore or loot, and it's in your control as to when it resets. That's especially true in this, more so than other Souls, because you get some flasks back after you clear it, so you don't even necessarily need to rest, even if it was a hard battle.

4 minutes ago, hmm said:

I have to say I feel completely the opposite about which would be more immersive out of a simple timer or resting at a bonfire Grace. Even besides it fitting the world better, you clear out an area and you've earned its emptiness, to explore or loot, and it's in your control as to when it resets. That's especially true in this, more so than other Souls, because you get some flasks back after you clear it, so you don't even necessarily need to rest, even if it was a hard battle.

If you are good at the game I would agree, but for us where one or more deaths is unavoidable it would make progress a bit easier and more rewarding. It could be a way to adjust the difficulty.

17 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Thought pressing R1+R2+triangle to two hand weapons seemed a bit unwieldy, sure I’ll get used to it though. 

The tutorial prompt for this is really badly worded. You don’t have to press R1 + L1 + triangle, just triangle and the attack button of the weapon you want to two-hand (so R1 for right hand, and L1 for left hand)!

5 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

When you follow the golden trails in the air from each Grace thingy. Plus they're on the map.

Yeah one points to a mountain. Went up the left side and there’s nothing up there. Went up the right side 3 times and get jumped buy 15 soldiers all at the same time.

3 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

Yeah one points to a mountain. Went up the left side and there’s nothing up there. Went up the right side 3 times and get jumped buy 15 soldiers all at the same time.

From the beginning follow it to the next Grace whatsit. Talk to the dude there, use the Grace. 2 trails will come up from it. Follow either of them. 

Alternatively stop playing.

4 hours ago, Floshenbarnical said:

I assumed that would be a harder place so I just went outside. 

Theres a sign in the room that says something like ‘knowledge can be found below’. 

I totally get they’re frustrating games to play when you’re coming in cold as I was the same when I first played Bloodbourne. (Never got more than a quarter through one still). 

It relys on you experimenting with stuff. Luckily the Grace points are frequent enough to allow you to do so without much loss. Also, if you’re getting battered by something (Golden horse man for example) that you can in many cases run around them for now. 

So I bounced off Bloodborne after 3 or 4 hours due to the difficulty. But I'm far more engrossed in this so far. Feels like when I find something too difficult I can just go in another direction and find something new that I can do. Just.

I have a few questions for veterans of the genre. Given that this is my first proper attempt at this sort of game...

I'm trying to grind a little and practice my fighting at the guard encampment at the base of the castle on the cliff. I assume a bit of grinding will help ease the difficulty going forward, right?

I find combat a bit floaty at the moment and I struggle to know how to kill certain enemies (e.g. mosquito beasts on a pond and the captain at the guard encampment). That's normal, right? As I get stronger and practice strategies the nuances of combat will become apparent, right? Or are these ominous signs that this game might not be for me?

Also, I am running away a lot. There's plenty to explore, but also plenty of places I can't go. Again, normal?

I'm an astrologer and there's no way to spam spells, right? You have a limited amount of magic available, so keep it for when you really need it, right?

Sorry for all the noob questions, but a bit of reassurance would be appreciated!

15 minutes ago, MrCarrot said:

The tutorial prompt for this is really badly worded. You don’t have to press R1 + L1 + triangle, just triangle and the attack button of the weapon you want to two-hand (so R1 for right hand, and L1 for left hand)!

Thank god for this post! 

was driving me mad last night. 

18 minutes ago, MrCarrot said:

Ah that’s great, thank you for the clarification :)

8 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Also, it’s best to stick down your own summon sign and help others defeat the boss first before you have a go with (or without) help 

Online isn't working for Xbox. Doesn't give me an option to use the finger thing. 

For anybody wanting to know it plays on the Xbox One (launch day xbone), I think it plays absolutely fine. Only a couple of hours in but so far it feels like dark souls/ Bloodborne in terms of performance. 

I started as the Prisoner and so far I like my choice. The few bosses I've killed so far were cheesed using a mix of magic arrows and a few stabs for good luck. I need to keep practicing the move set and there's plenty of fodder around to do just that. 

Been buying up stuff from santas shop at the start and also found some useful upgrades along the way. Followed the main path until I got stomped very hard so need to try somewhere different. 

I lead a pretty busy life with very little gaming time. I had to tear myself away from this last night, I could have easily played until the early hours. I don't think I'll ever get close to finishing this game but so far I love what I see.  

A question. Is the loot randomized in this? Have gotten the exact same two things in the two chests at the camp but the actual mobs seem to drop random stuff? Is grinding mobs a way of getting better gear or is that just done by following the story?

2 minutes ago, Colonel Panic said:

I'm so out of practice! Picked a prisoner, so the first couple of larger enemies and a boss are really wrecking my shit.

Time to find a shield with more physical block!!

Also, the prisoner starter spell sucks balls!!

No way, the spell is awesome in my limited experience of these things! Remember it can be charged up like a melee attack by holding the button...

The first two bosses I faced (one in a cave and another in a catacombs) I got 75% down just through the spell.

I didn’t make much more progress with bosses yesterday (besides the dragon) but I went exploring instead and opened up many more locations where I can die warp to. I did manage to save for a slightly better sword though, so hopefully I can push forward a bit more. :) 

1 minute ago, koefoed said:

A question. Is the loot randomized in this? Have gotten the exact same two things in the two chests at the camp but the actual mobs seem to drop random stuff? Is grinding mobs a way of getting better gear or is that just done by following the story?

If it’s like the previous games, then yeah, drops from mobs are semi-random (e.g a soldier will have a chance of dropping some soldier-y gear) but chests and items placed in the world will be fixed.

10 minutes ago, joemul said:

Thank god for this post! 

was driving me mad last night. 

definitely check this out!

Think someone else posted earlier it’s great