rllmuk
dumpster

Virtua Racing - Switch. It's really, really good! Now available in UK.

I hope they can patch friend leaderboards into this, I'd love to chase people down, especially on the other two courses.

Really struggling to better this time, but I know I can. Single lap time of 38.00!

65646693_10161915009260188_2342397411445440512_o.jpg

• Upvote 6

10 hours ago, bridger said:

Has anyone noticed that the clock isn’t very accurate / granular? I always seem to see the same handful of different lap times right down to 1/100th of a second every single race. I can often see 3 laps out of 5 with exactly the same lap time and there no way I’m consistent enough for that. 

This doesn’t take away from how much fun the game is, but it does make me wonder how suitable it really is for hardcore rankings battles. 

That's been true on all versions of VR so I assume it's basically by design.

This is the perfect game for a work break. Except the work break ends up being much longer than intended.

Down to 3:12.75 on beginner and 3:14.75 on intermediate. The latter was oddly hard to get a win on. My previous best before that was 3:14.83 and I’d finished 3rd then. I thought I was going to have to beat the beginner time to actually get the win.

Expert next and I’m dreading it.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Dudley said:

That's been true on all versions of VR so I assume it's basically by design.

Ah right cheers. Wasn’t aware of that. 

I lied about going to expert and have got beginner down to 3:12.40 now. Annoyingly I feel like I could do faster as there was a couple of errors I’m aware of, so now I’ll have to play it more later.

Finally made the top 100 with 3:12:06 :-)

Could easily have shaved another .2 of that too so with a bit more consistency I’ll be in the 3’11’s

D1A4DDEE-6C7D-4CE3-94E8-228A9AF4E7F0.jpeg

• Upvote 6

16 hours ago, ilpostino said:

I hope they can patch friend leaderboards into this, I'd love to chase people down, especially on the other two courses.

Really struggling to better this time, but I know I can. Single lap time of 38.00!

65646693_10161915009260188_2342397411445440512_o.jpg

6 hours ago, womble9 said:

I thought that time looked familiar........ 

VR.thumb.jpg.fc8bbd5eaee123bd29c9049310a7c66b.jpg

:hat:

1 hour ago, Jonster said:

I lied about going to expert and have got beginner down to 3:12.40 now. Annoyingly I feel like I could do faster as there was a couple of errors I’m aware of, so now I’ll have to play it more later.

1 hour ago, bridger said:

Finally made the top 100 with 3:12:06 :-)

Could easily have shaved another .2 of that too so with a bit more consistency I’ll be in the 3’11’s

D1A4DDEE-6C7D-4CE3-94E8-228A9AF4E7F0.jpeg

I hate all of you. Hate.

Looks like I need to Virtua Man-the-fuck-up.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Lyrical Donut said:

I hate all of you. Hate.

Looks like I need to Virtua Man-the-fuck-up.

You’re still in 20th from what I can see. Over a second in front of me. It’s us that need to Virtua Man-the-fuck-up! 

Watch your back ;)

What's everyone's preferred sterring method? I'm using normal as it just feels better than arcade, to me at least, but I can't work out whether there's an obvious advantage to one over the other. I'm into the 3.13's (Big Forest) using normal. Can't really get near that with arcade.

I find Arcade doesn’t turn in anything like as well as Normal and unless I’m missing something is unusable for chasing good times. 

Am I missing something anyone? 

10 minutes ago, SidShaw said:

What's everyone's preferred sterring method? I'm using normal as it just feels better than arcade, to me at least, but I can't work out whether there's an obvious advantage to one over the other. I'm into the 3.13's (Big Forest) using normal. Can't really get near that with arcade.

The difference seems to be that normal = digital input, i.e. pressing left or right on the stick gives you full steering lock immediately. This doesn’t work well with the Joy Cons because dust causes movement detection by the game, causing the car to steer erratically without player input. Having said that, it works nicely with the 8bitdo SNES controller using the d-pad. 

Arcade steering gives full analogue control - this gives the impression of not being able to turn the wheel very much compared with normal steering, but once you learn how to roll the stick you’ll be able to much more precisely control the car. 

I’ve developed muscle memory using arcade steering, but I’m going to go back and try normal with the 8bitdo and see if I can improve my current best time on Big Forest (3:13:84). 

• Upvote 1

One thing I’ll say about normal steering - the longer you lock out the steering the more the nose of the car turns, but it takes a second or two to really start turning in hard. Normal steering let’s you lock it out sooner and for longer, achieving this effect more quickly, which in turn can help get around some big corners without letting up on the gas. 

1 hour ago, bridger said:

You’re still in 20th from what I can see. Over a second in front of me. It’s us that need to Virtua Man-the-fuck-up! 

Watch your back ;)

Ah, I think I got the tracks mixed up. As you were... :p

edit - my post on the 2nd page was from an older time, too.

Yeah, just been trying again with arcade steering ... only got joycons though and it just feels less responsive to me. Can't make it work effectively. Put it back to normal and smashed a 3.13.2x, which is my best time yet. Happy days.

Normal steering is basically digital steering. Try arcade steering and use the gate around the analogue stick to fine-tune your steering (i.e. always hold up for neutral, and roll the stick around the edge for corners).

• Upvote 3

Could anyone please advise me on how to take the hairpin corner on the expert track?  I just can’t seem to do it no matter what I try. I’ve tried both steering settings and both gear settings. Watched the few videos I could find but I still can’t manage to do it in an adequate way.  I keep getting understeer and going off the track or almost slowing to a halt getting round.

I haven’t managed to set time a time despite having spent the last hour trying :(

Brake slightly, drop to 5th and start accelerating again, bringing it back up to 6th as you come out of the apex and back up to 7th as you speed away, that works for me. 

• Upvote 3

YESSSSSSSS!!!!!!!  Thanks Popo. Finally set a time with 2 seconds to spare. 4:17.25 which I’m sure is rubbish but it’s a time none the less.  In your face hairpin.

Stepped it up!

Had a bit of a breakthrough in the last series of corners, was entering the first section(the double right before the left) too wide, you can come in just on the outer of the skid marks and the tighter line seems to se time up better for the left hander.

For the hairpin, I’m approaching about a car’s width left of the middle and throwing the car into the apex, as I’m turning I’m trying to lose as little speed as possible by letting off the accelerator without the car sliding. Weirdly on my last lap I had to drive around a backmarker and swung left before turning in and had a great line from it, might try that again.

0F2247BD-4366-4092-A0F7-D6543D990EEF.jpeg

997D2EBA-78E4-435E-A3BF-293DE60AF97B.jpeg

• Upvote 8