rllmuk
dumpster

Virtua Racing - Switch. It's really, really good! Now available in UK.

It really is fantastic isn't it. Online issues aside ,  its another demonstration of how gaming used to be about fun above all else. The three courses and one car are calculated in their handling and design to be just perfectly learnable. An expert player knows exactly when to brake, accelerate, hard steer etc. It puts Gran Turismo with its 30 forgettable tracks and 500 cars you'll never look at to shame.  This truly was the era when racing games peaked. VR, Ridge Racer, Daytona etc just nailed it.  

• Upvote 9

6 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

To be fair, RR4 is the moment when it peaked. This was a golden age though. 

I’d say Virtua Racing and RRT4 bookend the golden era of arcade racers quite neatly, in fact. 

• Upvote 2

Sorry I’m wrong, Initial D is properly brilliant. 

Paging Sega - can we get a top dollar remake please? I’d give my left hachiroku for one. 

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, the_debaser said:

To be fair, RR4 is the moment when it peaked. This was a golden age though. 

That game!

wish they’d remaster it with online leaderboards. 

This is incredible! It feels just like time-trialling did in F-Zero GX, minus the L/R shifting in that game. That is high praise indeed. I can see myself getting hours and hours of practice out of this.

What’s the secret with the last corner on Big Forest? I cannot get round it without either massive breaking or feathering the gas like a maniac, where I lose loads of speed. Otherwise I spin out of course.

My fastest on Big Forest is a leisurely 3’19, and I reckon I could shave off about three minutes and eighteen seconds if I wasn’t so hopeless on that bit.

I’ve just lost five online matches on the trotter because I fuck up that corner in the final lap, and the rubber banding has kept the opponents on my tail. :hmm:

• Upvote 1

Having a good time with this, although I'm not very good. The third course - Acropolis - is very easy except for that big hairpin, and I just can't seem to find the right technique to get around it fast enough. It took a few tries to even beat the course because of that hairpin. It's great that you can watch anyone's replay so that you can see how other people do it.

59 minutes ago, ZOK said:

What’s the secret with the last corner on Big Forest? I cannot get round it without either massive breaking or feathering the gas like a maniac, where I lose loads of speed. Otherwise I spin out of course.

My fastest on Big Forest is a leisurely 3’19, and I reckon I could shave off about three minutes and eighteen seconds if I wasn’t so hopeless on that bit.

I’ve just lost five online matches on the trotter because I fuck up that corner in the final lap, and the rubber banding has kept the opponents on my tail. :hmm:

Yeah it’s super tough, I can’t judge the turn in at all, I’m trying to throw the car into the apex and feather the accelerator to get around but sometimes I hit the apex and slow too much and other times the car just won’t go in.

Managed to break into the 12s with a 3:12.90

Think if I can sort that bloody hairpin I can get a set of 37s laps together.

• Upvote 1

Ooh, top 100. This should be enough for someone of my causal racing skill level but I want MORE!

D-OU66mUIAIdYwe.jpg

I still suck with the final turn too.

• Upvote 7

This is just so, so brilliant and Segary. I'm completely in love the mad little fills on time extend. 

ALSO: 'Gaaaaaaaaameeee Overrrrrrrr!' 

• Upvote 4

On 28/06/2019 at 11:23, mindgames said:

This is great. The thing that most impressed me is how close the Mega Drive version was in terms of gameplay, my muscle memory from the dozens of hours I put in years ago was still there when I played it last night. Well worth the £70 I got it for then and a massive bargain at £5.99 now.

Yeah it's exactly what I wanted it to be.

• Upvote 1

Never really played VR much before, but I fancied some of this. Really appreciating the simplicity and the smoothness of it all.

One thing. I don't have an online sub right now, and it seems a bit stingy not to even let you upload your times to the leaderboard. Not that I'd be troubling the top end or anything (still at around 3.15 on Beginner).

On 28/06/2019 at 08:22, ZOK said:

I was playing a few games of this on the beginner track yesterday, and no matter how many cars I overtook I always came 6th. What’s happening there, is it a bug or am I lapping cars I’ve already overtaken and am way behind fifth?

Yes, lots of drones. You’ll soon learn to spot the position cars. It’s a tough game, but it’s fab!

5 hours ago, BBBBBB said:

Can’t wait to play this, and hope it sells enough to push Sega to do something with the licensing in order to get M2 ports of Daytona USA and Sega Rally on the go.

Well M2 did an amazing job with their port of Sega Rally on the PS2 so I'd imagine that with the knowhow they've been obtaining with these Switch titles porting this one wouldn't necessarily be too taxing a job.

Sadly however the entire Sega Ages Switch line has underperformed in Japan so it's probably best to assume that this lot is all we're gonna get for the meanwhile.

14 hours ago, sonixtorm said:

Yes, lots of drones. You’ll soon learn to spot the position cars. 

Especially if you know your very early 90s F1.

For those who don't know F1 and are playing this, here's some pictures.

image.thumb.png.da3c9d746d4402e97ec2451874bb90a3.png

image.thumb.png.8f63e92defdf8197b7932b64250c2788.png

• Upvote 7

I’m now in that plateau where I’m always about half a second slower overall on forest and cannot match the 38 flat lap I did yesterday.

Will keep at it, the sudden race where it all falls into place will happen soon I can feel it.

Loving this game.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Cheeko said:

I’m now in that plateau where I’m always about half a second slower overall on forest and cannot match the 38 flat lap I did yesterday.

Will keep at it, the sudden race where it all falls into place will happen soon I can feel it.

Loving this game.

I’m at a plateau too. Stuck at 118th on the easy track (was 117th earlier) and it’s now just a case of waiting for a perfect run to drop so I can improve. It is getting more and more frustrating though since even the slightest mistake or finishing the first lap a few hundredths of a second slower than I know I can do means there’s little point in continuing. 

I'm a bit disappointed that there's no additional cars and content in general to be honest. Out Run is filled with extras in comparison. I would have liked parity with the 32X version at the very least.

Still plays great, just saying.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, OneDvBmbr said:

Absolutely loving this. Used some gold points so got it for like £4. 

Best time on Big Forest down to 3:16:87 now, so in the top 1,000.

What a game. Another second off almost. Down to 3:15:93. 

• Upvote 2

What we really need is a port of Atari's Hard Drivin' ;p

In all seriousness this is a lovely game and well worth £5.99.  I hope Sega continues with Sega Ages - I'd kill to see Daytona/Daytona 2.  Maybe even the Model 3 Scud Racer. Why stop there - Namco! Get into this action with Ridge Racer and Rave Racer ports.

Sorry, I realise this post is more a wish list rather than me talking about the game itself.

• Upvote 4

Has there been any mention that M2 might patch the contrast/brightness issue? Looking at comparison shots it’s hugely impactful (for me at least) on what are wonderfully designed visuals.

1 hour ago, replicant said:

What we really need is a port of Atari's Hard Drivin' ;p

This. But unironically.  I'd love an M2 port of Hard Drivin at 60fps.