rllmuk
dumpster

Virtua Racing - Switch. It's really, really good! Now available in UK.

In the absence of a 'friends' filter on the high score table, is there any interest in posting best times here to spice competition up a bit?

Also what's the preferred approach to the beginners course with manual gears? I usually stay in 7th until the final hairpin when I drop down to 6th just before the turn. 

Ugh. Looks like my Pro controller pulls slightly to the right. 1000+ hours of Splatoon have probably thoroughly b0rked it.

Mind you, this is the only game where this appears to be a problem - none of my other games have the cursor drift across selection options, for example; this seems particularly sensitive.

1 hour ago, MagicalDrop said:

In the absence of a 'friends' filter on the high score table...

Does anyone (perhaps someone from the development community) know / have some sort of an idea as to why this could be? 

I've seen it a few times before on other games and found it a bit odd as to why it'd have leaderboards but not have a friends filter on there. Sure I can see that I've moved up a few positions overall each time I get a new best time but having a friends time to aim for makes things so much better IMO. When I used to play arcade games a lot it was always far more enjoyable if when you go to one someone else had already set a decent score / time for me to have a stab at. Such a shame that this hasn't. 

Looks a good group. Don't want to derail this thread, but you add a room for Mario Maker and post in that thread. A single place for muk related Switch activity is a great idea

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ZOK said:

I was playing a few games of this on the beginner track yesterday, and no matter how many cars I overtook I always came 6th. What’s happening there, is it a bug or am I lapping cars I’ve already overtaken and am way behind fifth?

there's usually only 6 cars you actually need to race

7 minutes ago, Soi said:

Looks a good group. Don't want to derail this thread, but you add a room for Mario Maker and post in that thread. A single place for muk related Switch activity is a great idea

That's a great idea - done!

• Upvote 1

@GwiDan Again, don't want to derail, but what's the best way of finding forumite's Switch friend codes. Is there a big list somewhere I'm missing? Assuming there is a list somewhere (or Google doc), maybe have that as a pinned post in a #Welcome channel on the Switchmuk discord server?

• Upvote 1

This is great. The thing that most impressed me is how close the Mega Drive version was in terms of gameplay, my muscle memory from the dozens of hours I put in years ago was still there when I played it last night. Well worth the £70 I got it for then and a massive bargain at £5.99 now.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, smac said:

Ugh. Looks like my Pro controller pulls slightly to the right. 1000+ hours of Splatoon have probably thoroughly b0rked it.

Mind you, this is the only game where this appears to be a problem - none of my other games have the cursor drift across selection options, for example; this seems particularly sensitive.

I noticed a drift and my pro pad is barely used.

There's a weird issue with this game which fools you into thinking you have controller drift. On the beginner track as you pass through the start line to commence a new lap the car drifts to the right on its own for a set distance.  Its not the controller because it doesn't happen anywhere else or on any other course.  On beginner it takes you from the left lane to the right and if you deliberately line yourself up after the ferris wheel and lay off the controller you'll see you travel in a perfect straight line until that point when you drift.  So its not the controller and I wonder why that is.

Also the online sucks.  There's always a lag, which varies from opponent to opponent, but its always noticable and it kills it for me. Its like both players are seeing the same game from the server, where usually you'd see the live game on your own console. 

The rubber banding is crazy too. There are options on the online selection screen including Race Mode and Helper, which I can't see any way to change. 

But if if only lets you play 2 players , what's the point? There's no messaging, no voice chat, and the need to share a pin number means that even though I added every friend code in this thread, I can't actually play with any of you unless we get in touch first to arrange a number.  It basically ruins the promise it had, because an 8 or 16 player Virtua Racing is my memories on Blackpool Pleasure Beach on  a Friday after school, and if they can manage it on 1 console, why not online? 

Despite all that, its a phenomenal conversion, loving every minute on 1 player.  5.99 is a steal.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, dumpster said:

There's a weird issue with this game which fools you into thinking you have controller drift. On the beginner track as you pass through the start line to commence a new lap the car drifts to the right on its own for a set distance.  Its not the controller because it doesn't happen anywhere else or on any other course.  On beginner it takes you from the left lane to the right and if you deliberately line yourself up after the ferris wheel and lay off the controller you'll see you travel in a perfect straight line until that point when you drift.  So its not the controller and I wonder why that is.

Oh. That's what I was getting.

Mine was doing it on the course select, tracking over to the advanced course and returning there when I dragged it back to the leftmost course.

So a bit of both, then.

I noticed there was an assist mode you could turn off, so the aligning that dumpster mentions could be that.

I thought I had the drift issue too - my only assumption is that the game is helpfully steering you away from the pit exit to avoid any potential collisions ... which I know is irrelevant in the standard game mode but it’s the best sensible theory I can muster.

1 minute ago, MagicalDrop said:

I thought I had the drift issue too - my only assumption is that the game is helpfully steering you away from the pit exit to avoid any potential collisions ... which I know is irrelevant in the standard game mode but it’s the best sensible theory I can muster.

Hmmmmmm I need to see when it occurs because it does seem to happen more frequently on the straight where the pit is.

4 hours ago, MagicalDrop said:

In the absence of a 'friends' filter on the high score table, is there any interest in posting best times here to spice competition up a bit?

Also what's the preferred approach to the beginners course with manual gears? I usually stay in 7th until the final hairpin when I drop down to 6th just before the turn. 

I keep it in 7th the whole way round and just tap the accelerator round the last bend to avoid losing time - so long as you get the nose of the car turned into the apex enough as you enter the bend you’ll have plenty of run-off as the track is really wide. 

Did everyone remember to turn steering from ’normal’ to ‘arcade’ in the settings? Otherwise you’ll get constant, erratic drift at all times, if your joy cons have seen anything like the kind of usage and wear mine have over the past couple of years. 

Another top piece if advice id like to parrot from earlier in the thread would be to push the left stick forward and roll it left or right when navigating corners - the precision is much higher, and the car doesn’t like sudden left/right movement on the stick; much better to ease it round and you’ll get much less understeer. 

• Upvote 2

It’s quite refreshing only having three tracks and one car. Means you can just focus on perfecting your times. Somehow this game has eluded me all my life, I guess I was always drawn to Outrun and Golden Axe in the arcades when I was a boy ☺️ 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, shirubagan said:

Is it me or is the Hard course easier than Medium?

This game is absolutely magnificent. 

It really, really is. I don’t know where Bay Bridge gets off calling itself the ‘medium’ difficulty. The final series of corners is just trolling nonsense, with the CPU cars actually overtaking as you slow down. Madness. Beautiful, beautiful madness. 

• Upvote 1