rllmuk
dumpster

Virtua Racing - Switch. It's really, really good! Now available in UK.

3 hours ago, NEG said:

It's the wrong shade of red according to one video.

It's worse than that (all the colours are off) but I'm sure it'll be fixed. 

In any case I've always treated this game as greatest arcade racer of all time (with Sega Rally on its tail) so I can live with a little colour / gamma inaccuracy.

Also I can't wait to see the complete removal of polygonal pop up and get accustomed to the handling (the PS2 port definitely didn't get that bit right).

19 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

That link is accessed via the game though and still doesn't include the Virtua Racing one. Just seems weird.

That's what I said.

13 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

How does it work without analogue triggers?

The pedals in the arcade version weren't analogue either. DUN DUN DUUUUUUNNNNNNN

• Upvote 4

So is it worth going online for this? 

Enjoying this. The only thing it’s missing is wrestling a heavy feedback wheel (but at least I don’t have to worry about faulty gear shifts). 

1 hour ago, gossi the dog said:

According to the manual the L and R sticks give analogue control over acceleration :)

This is fun and really smooth just got my first 1st place on the beginner track. The only downside is it really makes me want a Switch port of Outrun 2 even more. 

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

This is the first time I've really played this properly save for one or two goes on the cabinet over a period of many years. It's wonderful.

Managed to finish the three courses but only third place on the latter two so plenty of room for improvment. Had a look on the leaderboards and was surprised to find myself one place below someone called jonnyalpha. Rings a bell..

Edit: Just switched it to arcade handling, what a difference! I'd assumed it was meant to be twitchy as fuck, like Daytona on the Dreamcast or something.

10 minutes ago, acidbearboy said:

I've bought this. Seems alright. Never played it before so any tips welcome!

Drive really fast and don’t crash

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

Unless I'm doing something wrong, online play is only for two players which is a shame. Also every two player game that I have played has been quite laggy and the lag varies depending on the opponent.  The rubberbanding is quite extreme as well although I remember the arcade version was the same .

The online side isnt what I expected at all. When I tried it last month with @Lyrical Donut I figured that no-one was online because of the Japan time difference and the game not being available anywhere else.  But unless I'm missing something  there's only a 2 player online game. You can create a room but it requires a pin number so you'd have to play with someone you are in communication with to give them the number.  And in the online screen there's "helper on/off" and "race mode -normal" with no way to change either option.  I'd expected at least 8 player online because it has that on one console for local play. Only offering 2 players is a bit weak.

5 hours ago, gossi the dog said:

Right stick does analogue if so required but it’s not a game designed for analogue acceleration/braking as far as I know. 

Is online really limited to two players?

1 hour ago, dumpster said:

I'd expected at least 8 player online because it has that on one console for local play. Only offering 2 players is a bit weak.

Yeah, it really should support at least as many online players as the original arcade version did.

I can see Grand Prix as an option in on both the leaderboards and the manual but can't for the life of me figure out how you select it. Can someone help? Ta. 

1 minute ago, acidbearboy said:

I can’t upload my scores without an online subscription, apparently. Is that right?

Are the scores going online? Because I suspect that is right, yes.

I’m up for some online racing / scoreboard challenges. I’ve sent a request to everyone in the thread so far...

xRichardTx - 0591 8982 5213

I was playing a few games of this on the beginner track yesterday, and no matter how many cars I overtook I always came 6th. What’s happening there, is it a bug or am I lapping cars I’ve already overtaken and am way behind fifth?