rllmuk
dumpster

Virtua Racing - Switch. It's really, really good! Now available in UK.

3 hours ago, Uncle Nasty said:

It's still my favourite racing game, by far, and has stood up amazingly well over time.

There's a lot to be said for the limited amount of tracks and not having hundreds of cars to choose from/unlock. Just the purity of getting to know every single corner and hitting the absolute optimum racing line for all of them, getting better every race and competing against your own lap times. It was such a perfect arcade game and looks beautiful on the Switch. I know it wasn't the best port, but I spent an entire summer completely addicted to the Mega Drive version and still have those courses burned into my memory even now. One of those games I can go back to and be totally in the zone immediately. I loved the sparse use of music and the Time Bonus! announcer, it really kept the adrenaline pumping. It was all so perfectly Sega. Definitely an all time top ten game for me.

I haven't watched the entire thing yet, but here's a documentary about M2 and their classic arcade ports. (turn closed captions on)

Thanks for reposting this, I keep forgetting to watch it.

1 hour ago, Popo said:

Thanks for the tips guys! @Lyrical Donut why switch to arcade steering though? I find normal steering turns more without dropping speed so much, is there something I’m missing?

Is it better to brake, turn in and hit the accelerator, or just release the accelerator when going round most corners? 

Didnt realise there was slipstreaming!

You know what, I've barely tried normal handling and switched to arcade almost right away based on advice from here, I think. I'll try normal and report back!

As for slowing yourself down, I tend to let off and/or feather the accelerator if it looks like I'm not going to get around a corner without hitting a wall or ending up in the grass.

Edit - Yeah, normal steering is horrendous if you're using the analogue stick for steering.

They used to have this in my local pub many years ago and I played it religiously. I got to know all the tracks (only 3 or 4 weren’t there?) and spent so long with it, I could complete it on a single credit. I absolutely loved it.

Is it easy to get from the Japanese store then? I’d love to take it for a spin again. Especially after hearing you lot say it’s held up really well.

6 hours ago, grindmouse said:

I’d like to see them give this treatment to all of Sega’a arcade 3D titles. Could Virtua Cop work with the joycon aiming?

And obv Scud Race, when?

Motor Raid ; kthxbye.

7 hours ago, Lyrical Donut said:

You know what, I've barely tried normal handling and switched to arcade almost right away based on advice from here, I think. I'll try normal and report back!

As for slowing yourself down, I tend to let off and/or feather the accelerator if it looks like I'm not going to get around a corner without hitting a wall or ending up in the grass.

Edit - Yeah, normal steering is horrendous if you're using the analogue stick for steering.

I forgot to say that I only find steering on normal usable when playing with my 8bitdo controller; my joycon suffers from drift, so the car steers by itself when using that. 

Have you tried using the right analogue stick for acceleration? Analogue acceleration seems useful for this game but my brain just can’t adjust to it. 

7 hours ago, JPL said:

Is it easy to get from the Japanese store then? I’d love to take it for a spin again. Especially after hearing you lot say it’s held up really well.

Yea super-easy. 

1. Set up a new email account with your preferred service 

2. Create a new account with Nintendo here and set the country to Japan; register it with the email account you just created (do it in an in-cognito tab so you don’t have to sign out of your normal account)

3. Create a new profile on your Switch and link it to the new account

4. Buy some credit - I used Sea Gamer Mall which delivered the code immediately, others have suggested Play-Asia

5. Open the eShop and choose the new profile - you’re now in the Japanese eShop and can search for Virtua Racing

Someone in the Switch/eShop thread smartly suggested using the Google Translate app if you’re having trouble navigating the menus. 

• Upvote 1

I recommend going onto the UK eShop and pretend to buy a game with a prepaid card and to remember which buttons you are clicking on. When you get to the screen where you input the code, stop and exit.

Then go into the other profile, then access the Japanese shop, search for VR to find it (it doesn't come up if you search for Virtua Racing weirdly) then do all the same buttons you clicked on in the UK shop to navigate.

I used google translate when I did mine, using the phone app and the camera. You point the camera at the screen and it superimposes the English text over the image. This worked with the switch displaying on the TV.

• Upvote 4

I watched the playbacks of the top times on all the courses. I can’t recommend these enough! They show you the exact accelerator, brake and steering input of the player, extremely useful for understanding how they did it.

Watching the top ranking player, jus, I am struck by just how much speed they are capable of carrying through corners - they’re definitely using normal steering and not arcade! For example, the first corner of Big Bridge I can’t do without lifting off the accelerator, but jus flies around it completely flat-out. 

15 hours ago, Popo said:

I’m not aware of any game that has a pointer reticule,

World of Goo

8 hours ago, Popo said:

I forgot to say that I only find steering on normal usable when playing with my 8bitdo controller; my joycon suffers from drift, so the car steers by itself when using that. 

Have you tried using the right analogue stick for acceleration? Analogue acceleration seems useful for this game but my brain just can’t adjust to it. 

6 hours ago, Popo said:

I watched the playbacks of the top times on all the courses. I can’t recommend these enough! They show you the exact accelerator, brake and steering input of the player, extremely useful for understanding how they did it.

Watching the top ranking player, jus, I am struck by just how much speed they are capable of carrying through corners - they’re definitely using normal steering and not arcade! For example, the first corner of Big Bridge I can’t do without lifting off the accelerator, but jus flies around it completely flat-out. 

I've tried analogue acceleration but I'm not quite getting the same times as I do by tapping the buttons at the moment.

I've been using arcade steering this afternoon, but using the ring around the stick for more precise steering (as opposed to gradually steering left or right, which is difficult with those piddly little joycon sticks). I've cut my times down pretty drastically and managed a 1st on Bay Bridge just now. Switched it back to normal and tried the same technique - it's basically digital steering and just way too twitchy. The top times are definitely using arcade steering - it's the only way you can take corners at such high speeds.

• Upvote 1

Nice one @Lyrical Donut, I’ll definitely try arcade steering again. I think someone upthread suggested it’s best not to jam the sticks left and right too harshly, and I’ve noticed slightly better steering by being more gentle, definitely less understeer. But as you said, with the sticks being so small and having such limited travel one has to be very gentle indeed. 

By rolling the stick around, a technique that perhaps should be known as the Donut method from now on, rather than shunting left, and right I’ve managed my best ever time on Big Forest and Acropolis, coming third on the letter. Thanks for the tip @Lyrical Donut

Bay Bridge continues to kick my ass, I still can’t do better than fourth. Strangely, I find it a much harder track than Acropolis - the last section of turns leading to the start line in particular are tough and it seems impossible to get around them without losing position to the CPU. 

• Upvote 1

Nice work! I always bottle it on Bay Bridge when it comes to that section after the last checkpoint because I'm afraid of completely binning it on the grass just after the first corner :(

It's still a really fun game. Had some cracking split-screen on a projector a few weeks back. It was like four Model 1 cabs running on a wall.

• Upvote 3

YES!!! Finally got first place on Acropolis and 86th on the rankings, very happy with a top 100 position there. 

Still completely failing at Bay Bridge though, and in fact I always seem to bin it on one lap, even if I’ve put in an otherwise good run, but practise certainly seems to make perfect and I’m getting to grips with the handling more and more. 

• Upvote 2

Not even close. Check the video going through all the different versions. I've not got it yet but the Switch version looks to be a nice upgrade over the original.

• Upvote 1

Tonight I managed a second place finish on Bay Bridge. First still eludes me, but I know I can go faster - I put the wheels on the edge of the track on several occasions, spinning and losing speed. 

Im also getting better at carrying more speed through corners - it’s all about steering in early and gently, hitting the apex and wiggling the sticks to tease the nose of the car inwards (no idea why this works). Missing the apex seems to send you slipping across the road like a greased up eel while hitting it keeps you magnetised all the way around, and the painted lines are a useful marker to aim for. 

Ive also noticed it’s better to tap the accelerator than fully release, when going round a more demanding corner, as the loss of speed is too great. Need to try and perfect this before the great unwashed masses join the fun later this week. 

Today is the day! Unlike all those years ago I'm not taking a heap of my MD games to the local Swap Shop at the market to exchange (plus money iirc) for a £70 copy of this.

Truly this is the best of times :D

• Upvote 4