rllmuk
dumpster

Virtua Racing - Switch. It's really, really good! Now available in UK.

As per thread title. Japan only, cost me £9 and had to use google translate app with the camera mode to buy it, but it was worth it.  This is the perfect version I've waited for since I was a teenager playing this at the bowling alley.  Super smooth, full widescreen, colourful like you wouldn't believe and perfect for a handheld. Then there's the 8 player on 1 screen mode, the online multiplayer, it's the best game. 

Edit: now available in the UK store. Go!

• Upvote 2

It really is a fantastic port. Bought it yesterday and couldn't tear myself away from it.

1 minute ago, dumpster said:

One question - if it gets a UK release, will I be able to play online with them?  At the moment I have to play at specific times because the game is Japan only so I'm trying to start multiplayer games then realising it is 3am over there.

Yes, I don't think there are any servers involved. In the worst case scenario you'll be able to re-download the game free of charge from the eShop when it does release over here.

You can also set up private friends list lobbies too. I tried it with a friend last night. Both of our WiFi connections are pretty flaky and there was a fair bit of skipping going on. Things did improve when I docked my Switch and played over ethernet, though. We should try getting some forum races going for those who already have it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dumpster said:

As per thread title. Japan only, cost me £9 and had to use google translate app with the camera mode to buy it, but it was worth it.  This is the perfect version I've waited for since I was a teenager playing this at the bowling alley.  Super smooth, full widescreen, colourful like you wouldn't believe and perfect for a handheld. Then there's the 8 player on 1 screen mode, the online multiplayer, it's the best game. 

One question - if it gets a UK release, will I be able to play online with them?  At the moment I have to play at specific times because the game is Japan only so I'm trying to start multiplayer games then realising it is 3am over there.

Worst "I've got a jap account" post evah :P Will get it if/when it gets a uk release.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, davidcotton said:

Worst "I've got a jap account" post evah :P Will get it if/when it gets a uk release.

It's ridiculously easy to set up. Takes 10 minutes. 

• Upvote 1

Pretty sure I read the other day that it’s due out over here before the end of the month. Infact I know I did as it was that that made me hang back on setting up a Japanese account  :)

1 hour ago, mdn2 said:

Surely there's enough of us now with it that we could get some games going?

We'll need to be on each other's lists, of course (mine's in my sig). The host also needs to set a code and let others know when setting up a lobby, which is where either Discord or a PM thread would come in handy.

Sega Rally seems much less likely due to licence issues with the car manufacturers. Might be the case for Daytona if that particular licence is due to run out soon, too. In that case, they could port Sega Racing Classic, I guess.

43 minutes ago, Lyrical Donut said:

Sega Rally seems much less likely due to licence issues with the car manufacturers. Might be the case for Daytona if that particular licence is due to run out soon, too. In that case, they could port Sega Racing Classic, I guess.

Daytona I've already got on Xbox One BC so not too fussed. Sega Rally is the one I would love to play again. I don't think any racing game has matched the amazing arcade handling of that game. Absolutely loved playing it in the arcade.

Might have to find an emulator/rom to play it again...

• Upvote 1

It's still my favourite racing game, by far, and has stood up amazingly well over time.

There's a lot to be said for the limited amount of tracks and not having hundreds of cars to choose from/unlock. Just the purity of getting to know every single corner and hitting the absolute optimum racing line for all of them, getting better every race and competing against your own lap times. It was such a perfect arcade game and looks beautiful on the Switch. I know it wasn't the best port, but I spent an entire summer completely addicted to the Mega Drive version and still have those courses burned into my memory even now. One of those games I can go back to and be totally in the zone immediately. I loved the sparse use of music and the Time Bonus! announcer, it really kept the adrenaline pumping. It was all so perfectly Sega. Definitely an all time top ten game for me.

I haven't watched the entire thing yet, but here's a documentary about M2 and their classic arcade ports. (turn closed captions on)

• Upvote 8

31 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

I’d like to see them give this treatment to all of Sega’a arcade 3D titles. Could Virtua Cop work with the joycon aiming?

And obv Scud Race, when?

I was wondering the same. I’m not aware of any game that has a pointer reticule, I think a Wii-style IR bar would be needed, otherwise how would the system know which way the joy con was pointing? The gyros can handle movement detection, I don’t think that can be harnessed for pointing can it? I’d love a Virtua Cop collection HD remaster though, and a proper home port of House of the Dead!

Anyway, I need pro tips for Virtua Racing - can’t do better than fourth on Bay Bridge. 

As for my next Sega Ages M2 dream port - Sega Rally, it has to be Sega Rally. Easily my most played game on the Saturn. Come on M2! Then I want Scud Race, Daytona and Initial D please. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, grindmouse said:

I’d like to see them give this treatment to all of Sega’a arcade 3D titles. Could Virtua Cop work with the joycon aiming?

And obv Scud Race, when?

Virtua Cop with Labo VR blaster, yes please!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Popo said:

Anyway, I need pro tips for Virtua Racing - can’t do better than fourth on Bay Bridge. 

It's rough - the best I've managed so far is 2nd. Change your steering in the options to Arcade if you haven't already. Slipstream as much as you can and try not to steer full tilt around most of the corners, you'll need to shift down to sixth for the last series of corners after the last checkpoint.

PS - for those of us who are trying to get some online races going, @GwiDan has created a general Switch online Discord channel - should be much easier for us to organise some racing there - https://discord.gg/FekFY8Z

1 hour ago, Popo said:

Changing the camera view can really help with making corners and sections easier to judge. In this game I think the camera angles are more than a preference that you set once and forget, and can really help with your decision on where to brake and where to enter/exit corners. For hairpins I always used to switch to Bird's Eye view and treat it like Super Sprint. I remember in the Megadrive version having a preferred camera view for every corner in the game, and not being able to adjust to any other view for certain corners. Watching your own replays also helps a lot in perfecting those racing lines. 

Thanks for the tips guys! @Lyrical Donut why switch to arcade steering though? I find normal steering turns more without dropping speed so much, is there something I’m missing?

Is it better to brake, turn in and hit the accelerator, or just release the accelerator when going round most corners? 

Didnt realise there was slipstreaming!