Jump to content
rllmuk
bear

Playdate-A new handheld console thingy

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

 

See, despite not being convinced by this thing, I literally own a Pokemon Mini.

 

I own two and all bar one of the games :)

 

EDIT: I have a Pokemon Pikachu handheld too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Crank-a-Tronic 64®

1-Bit Yellow Biscuit®

Square Boy®

One Armed Bandit - Lemon & Lime Edition®

PlayDateOn 360®

Cranky Cong®

CrankMeOff®

 

Future Models:

PlayDate SP (Backlight Edition - Only $299!)

PlayDate DS (2 Crank Edition!! - Only $399!)

PlayDate 3DS (3 Crank Edition!!! - Only $499!)

PlayDate 2DS (2 Crank Edition - Back to 2 Cranks. 3 Cranks not thought through properly. - $99)

PlayDate Vita (DOA Edition) :( 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

“Is there a backlight?

 

No! Wild, right? In daylight, the reflective layer makes it look spectacular. At night, you can sit by a reading lamp and bask in how incredibly beautiful a modern, sharp, highly-reflective black-and-white LCD can look. It’s great.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

 

Actually, I’ll say this. Their copy is irritatingly smug. All passive-aggressive style tripe that tries (and fails) to insinuate they’re a bunch of humble cool dudes but instead comes across like they’re the most self indulgent, self congratulatory, bunch of c words you pray you’d never get stuck with doing drugs at a house party.

 

I can handle the lack of backlight and lack of information on games but if there’s going to be an instruction manual written in this style then I might have to reconsider my position.

  • Upvote 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Strafe said:

 

Actually, I’ll say this. Their copy is irritatingly smug. All passive-aggressive style tripe that tries (and fails) to insinuate they’re a bunch of humble cool dudes but instead comes across like they’re the most self indulgent, self congratulatory, bunch of c words you pray you’d never get stuck with doing drugs at a house party.

 

I can handle the lack of backlight and lack of information on games but if there’s going to be an instruction manual written in this style then I might have to reconsider my position.

 

I've just read that page. It doesn't sound smug at all, it's at most 10% peak hipster copy.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Eighthours said:

It doesn't sound smug at all

 

Yes it does. You can almost hear the sound of them gargling on their own cocks as they wrote it.

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

 

I've just read that page. It doesn't sound smug at all, it's at most 10% peak hipster copy.

 

It comes across as "Look at this! It's shit! ISN'T THAT AMAZING!??!"

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kevvy Metal said:

I don’t get this. At all. 

 

Its an executive toy for our generation. As someone who frequently plays a quick game of picross on the DS between bits of work it seems perfect for me. Plus all the indie devs contributing to it.

 

I imagine that the seasons will be exciting and I fully expect that there will be a esoteric new puzzle game with online scoreboards that forums like this will totally love.

 

I imagine it's going to feel a little bit like the Game Boy Micro and the BitGenerations titles. Its great that gaming is so broad that this can probably be a nice little niche, and is the logical next step for micro-games after Ich.io.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Strafe said:

 

Actually, I’ll say this. Their copy is irritatingly smug. All passive-aggressive style tripe that tries (and fails) to insinuate they’re a bunch of humble cool dudes but instead comes across like they’re the most self indulgent, self congratulatory, bunch of c words you pray you’d never get stuck with doing drugs at a house party.

 

I can handle the lack of backlight and lack of information on games but if there’s going to be an instruction manual written in this style then I might have to reconsider my position.

Flipping heck man.  It really doesn't.  All of that is in your mind.  Just saying. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This really looks shit. I want to like it but it's just got too many negatives. The price is unrealistic, especially since there is no backlight. The crank could be interesting but I really can't see it being anymore than a novelty. Then there is the fact that my phone is the only device I need for that sort of games experience. I really hope I'm proven wrong as I like the concept, but I'm still waiting to be impressed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, MW_Jimmy said:

 

Its an executive toy for our generation. As someone who frequently plays a quick game of picross on the DS between bits of work it seems perfect for me. Plus all the indie devs contributing to it.

 

I imagine that the seasons will be exciting and I fully expect that there will be a esoteric new puzzle game with online scoreboards that forums like this will totally love.

 

I imagine it's going to feel a little bit like the Game Boy Micro and the BitGenerations titles. Its great that gaming is so broad that this can probably be a nice little niche, and is the logical next step for micro-games after Ich.io.

 

That sounds cool.. i think?!

I'm not saying "This looks shit" at all. I'm literally puzzled by it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we should welcome something that is trying to do things a bit differently. I quite like the concept, I think the crank could be interesting. The press release comes across fine.

 

Just , for gods sake, put a backlight in it.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, robdood said:

Flipping heck man.  It really doesn't.  All of that is in your mind.  Just saying. 

 

Of course it’s in my mind. That’s how words work. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Strafe said:

 

Actually, I’ll say this. Their copy is irritatingly smug. All passive-aggressive style tripe that tries (and fails) to insinuate they’re a bunch of humble cool dudes but instead comes across like they’re the most self indulgent, self congratulatory, bunch of c words you pray you’d never get stuck with doing drugs at a house party.

 

Hmm...

 

Quote

Portland, OR — May 22, 2019 

 

Ah.

  • Upvote 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What interests me most about it is the opportunity to have some nice little twitchy, arcadey experiences on it. We've discussed whether this thing is going to be competing with mobile phones (I think it will in terms of competing for people's time, but not in the least in terms of market), and those types of games have always failed for me on mobile because they don't work well on a touchscreen. I think I'm surprisingly up for something absolutely tiny with physical buttons that lobs a new game at me every week.

 

Probably it will appeal most to the beard-strokier end of games consumers. People who actually follow what each of these indie devs is up to. 

 

Edit: also, there's.. almost nothing hipstery in the copy of their site? If anything it was more straight laced than I was expecting.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Harsin said:

Wait they're saying that a reflective screen is actually better in bright sunlight? :blink:

 

...yes? That’s how the technology works. It reflects light instead of using a light source.

 

Peak GBA was when Boktai came out and there was a game that actually suited the screen’s ideal operating environment but a black and white reflective LCD can be legible in surprisingly dim lighting too, much like a Kindle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not my experience when using screens I'll admit, I've always found matte screens better in bright environments personally, thinking about using an iPad on a bright day, which is only usable because it auto whacks the backlight up to max. Maybe I've misunderstood the terminology?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Harsin said:

Not my experience when using screens I'll admit, I've always found matte screens better in bright environments personally, thinking about using an iPad on a bright day, which is only usable because it auto whacks the backlight up to max. Maybe I've misunderstood the terminology?

 

You're thinking of a different sort of reflection. Light passes throught the screen to the back layer and is reflected back out. You're describing light reflecting off the top layer, which yes, would be a problem.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, deKay said:

 

You're thinking of a different sort of reflection. Light passes throught the screen to the back layer and is reflected back out. You're describing light reflecting off the top layer, which yes, would be a problem.

 

Although being black and white and being reflective will tend to limit the impact of that. A reflective LCD in sunlight can have a far brighter shade of white than any backlit LCD so it should still be clear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They could have least made it compatible with Raspberry Pi or something.  Imagine giving a kid (who is interested in creating games and sharing them on little usb sticks with friends, or online) that combo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This looks so cool, I imagine it's going to be almost impossible to get one though. You've got to laugh at anyone who thinks they'll be picking it up for £50 after it flops, once the initial shipment sells out (which will be immediately, I doubt they're making more than a few thousand) you'll be lucky to get one for less that £500 I reckon.

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.