rllmuk
bear

Playdate-A new handheld console thingy

1 hour ago, Harsin said:

You say that as if it’s so farcical a scenario it could never ever happen.

Nintendo-Game-Boy-Advance-Purple-FL.jpg

It’s not like there’s not a long storied history of companies fucking things up.

“Hey guys I’ve finished making the new iphone”

”But can you get a signal when you actually hold it in your hand?”

”dunno, haven’t tested that”

Yeah, fair but I think we can see from the screen - and our knowledge of what high contrast black and white screens can do without a backlight - that I think it will be ok.

If it isn’t I guess I won’t buy one.

1 hour ago, Benny said:

That thing caused more widespread eyestrain that the Virtual Boy

Chiefly because the virtual boy only sold about 7 units.

(One of which I own)

I’ve definitely left modern gaming behind. The news from the ps5 shows how modern gaming thought has left me cold. All my gaming is via mini consoles and a pandora box.

All gaming  hardware shouldn’t adhere to the console generation rat race. Hopefully the market is big enough for more left field ideas to exist. I’m definitely intrigued by this. I’d like to see more of it but if it delivers what it promises then it would be a perfect little device for those like me who want to see more abstract simple gaming ideas and are not interested in modern gaming in the slightest. 

• Upvote 1

Well I guess its different... :) 

This is obviously aimed at a niche market - most people use their mobile phones for gaming these days. Arguably Nintendos market in the pure handheld sector is wavering a bit hence the Switch which combines both home and handheld.

Not really sure why this exists... the crank is a bit of a ill thought out gimmick IMHO its bound to get knocked or broken when dropped a few times... would have though a dial would have been a better choice for a pocket device. Also greyscale screen... 

Anyway perhaps in 30 years time they will be worth a bit of money as I don't think they will sell a heap of these....

I’ll say this, if this machine - and it’s software strategy - was exactly the same in every respect bar it had a Nintendo logo on it, people would be going fucking bananas over it on here.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

45 minutes ago, Bojangle said:

Is anyone arguing that it'd be anything other than niche, though? It's going to be competing with phones at this stage anyway, not other consoles.

I'm guessing that Bithell has a stake in this, too.

What happens if your right hand/wrist gets tired from all the cranking? Can the crank then be put on the left side for a left handed crank?

Actually I'd probably struggle cranking with my left hand...

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, DeciderVT said:

Is anyone arguing that it'd be anything other than niche, though? It's going to be competing with phones at this stage anyway, not other consoles.

In what world is this competing with phones? It's an intentionally niche, lo-fi device for people who care about weird, little indie games/experiences from iconic developers.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Bojangle said:

In what world is this competing with phones? It's an intentionally niche, lo-fi device for people who care about weird, little indie games/experiences from iconic developers.

Ugh. Iconic.

If you don't see how a handheld device designed around smaller game experiences is going to be competing with a phone for a user's attention in 2019, I don't know what to tell you.

• Empathy 2

2 minutes ago, Bojangle said:

Yes, the Candy Crush and Clash Royale playerbase are gonna be flocking to it.

Don't distort what I'm saying to score a cheap point in this discussion. The point I'm making is clear and mobile games obviously aren't restricted to that sort of thing.

Edit: sarcastic empathy reaction as well! :lol:

• Empathy 2

6 minutes ago, DeciderVT said:

If you don't see how a handheld device designed around smaller game experiences is going to be competing with a phone for a user's attention in 2019, I don't know what to tell you.

Look at who is designing it, it's not intended to be mass market.

There is a very small crossover in people that will be interested in this device and people who primarily game on mobile. Are you seriously trying to say that someone who sits watching TV and playing the odd mobile game is going to see this and go "Huh, I'll give that a try!" They'll probably never even hear of it.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Strafe said:

I’ll say this, if this machine - and it’s software strategy - was exactly the same in every respect bar it had a Nintendo logo on it, people would be going fucking bananas over it on here.

If this was the case the thread will have already reached 50 pages of people wanking over it, half of which would be from Scottcr proclaiming it to be the second coming. 

1 minute ago, Stanley said:

Look at who is designing it, it's not intended to be mass market.

I didn't say it was.

Just now, Bojangle said:

There is a very small crossover in people that will be interested in this device and people who primarily game on mobile. Are you seriously trying to say that someone who sits watching TV and playing the odd mobile game is going to see this and go "Huh, I'll give that a try!" They'll probably never even hear of it.

I didn't say any of that either. Christ. It's even in the press release:

It's designed to deliver a jolt of fun in-between the times you spend with your phone and your home console; something to fill the moments when you just want a game you can pick-up and play.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Stanley said:

What are you trying to say :lol:

That this is clearly not competing with mainstream consoles but there's no shortage of quirky indie games on phones either, which this is positioning itself between and therefore competing for time with.

The sort of person seriously considering this is likely to be a bit more serious about their games too, hence me not equating it with the likes of Candy Crush.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, DeciderVT said:

That this is clearly not competing with mainstream consoles but there's no shortage of quirky indie games on phones either, which this is positioning itself between and therefore competing for time with.

The sort of person seriously considering this is likely to be a bit more serious about their games too, hence me not equating it with the likes of Candy Crush.

Well yeah, but it's only competing with phones in the way anything is. It's about the form factor, limited graphics, monochrome display, funky controls. I doubt anyone interested in it is thinking that they could play similar games on their phone. It's all about the device itself, the look, feel, delivery system etc.

• Upvote 2