Playdate-A new handheld console thingy

bear

20 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

For those who are about to get it delivered, when did you order?

18 minutes ago, therearerules said:

1 minute after launch

Pretty much this also... as for why waiting that long? Erm... wasn't sure I wanted one...still not 😛

On 22/08/2022 at 17:36, MikeBeaver said:

Erm... wasn't sure I wanted one...still not 😛

I reckon there’s nothing to worry about. It’s a luxury, and the crank is a gimmick, but I reckon there’s enough there to justify the cost if you can afford it. The device itself is nice and solid, and the games so far are quirky enough to make you want to play it. Really nice thing to just carry around with you and fire up for a quick blast

8 minutes ago, klargon said:

I reckon there’s nothing to worry about. It’s a luxury, and the crank is a gimmick, but I reckon there’s enough there to justify the cost if you can afford it. The device itself is nice and solid, and the games so far are quirky enough to make you want to play it. Really nice thing to just carry around with you and fire up for a quick blast

It'll sit in my drawer, in it's box... next to the Analogue Pocket 😛

1 hour ago, MikeBeaver said:

It'll sit in my drawer, in it's box... next to the Analogue Pocket 😛

Or…now, hear me out on this, it could sit in my drawer and you could have a big fat pocket full of lovely fresh cash from me. How’s about that, eh?

22 minutes ago, Nathan Wind said:

Or…now, hear me out on this, it could sit in my drawer and you could have a big fat pocket full of lovely fresh cash from me. How’s about that, eh?

But then I wouldn't have one, AND it would have to be near an Atari Jaguar... I couldn't do it to the poor thing ;)

1 minute ago, MikeBeaver said:

But then I wouldn't have one, AND it would have to be near an Atari Jaguar... I couldn't do it to the poor thing ;)

Pfffft, didn’t want it anyway.

Also, this has been a Jaguar free household for several years now, I’ll have you know. Apart from a couple of controllers still knocking about. 

I'm really enjoying the immediacy of it. None of the games so far for me have been too in depth not to pick up and mess with for just a couple of minutes.

Favourites so far: Time Travel Adventure, Echoic Memory, Pick Pack Pup.

8 hours ago, Nathan Wind said:

Also, this has been a Jaguar free household for several years now, I’ll have you know. Apart from a couple of controllers still knocking about. 

This is LES! He lives Jaguar.

I think Life's Too Short, Skwish and A Joke That's Worth 0.99 are supposed to be good, but you could pick those up individually for a fair bit less.  I wanted to try A Balanced Brew after following development on the Playdate Dev Forum, but it's more than I'm willing to pay individually.  The bundle is too pricey if you ask me.

3 hours ago, klargon said:

The bundle is too pricey if you ask me.

It's 52% saving!?

But I'd be interested to know how you would do it differently. Less price for less games?

If the money split was any less than it it is now, after fees and tax, each Dev would be left with pretty much nothing. 

No need to be so defensive. It’s only a 52% saving if you were going to buy them all. I’m suggesting there’s better value to be had by buying what you want separately, mainly because some of them are quite expensive for what they are, therefore push up the overall price and thus the ‘saving’. If people want to buy it, they can. Anyone can figure out for themselves whether it represents value

Not defensive, just interested and  slightly puzzled. None of my games are in this bundle so I have no skin in the game, so to speak. 

You're quite right that it might make sense to buy them individually, especially if you already have some of them. 

Which games do you consider too expensive?

Even if you don’t have a title in the bundle, being a dev for the platform gives you a bias that leads to those sort of reactions, that’s all.

With a platform like this, determining value is very hard. I’ve not played any of them, so I can’t know whether they’re overpriced or not. However, I’m not willing to take a gamble on something for $8. There seems to be a bit of a divide - those who just want people to play their stuff, and those who want to claw back a bit of compensation for the time they’ve spent (nothing wrong with that), which leaves you with a gulf between the two pricing approaches.

The Daily Driver tech demo is probably a good example. To my eye, that’s priced to try to get some return. Say I was willing to pay $1 for it. As long as there’s not more than 5 of me for everyone who is willing to pay the minimum, why would you care what I think?

I don't, really. 

To flog the horse: selling a game for $1 will only line the pockets of itch, the payment processor, and the tax man. There would be nothing left for the developer. Hopefully that provides a little elucidation. 

You seem to be arguing in agreement.  Weird.  Anyway, back to the games.  Echoic Memory is an odd one.  It's quite nicely presented, but matching royalty-free audio samples (using the crank as a filter dial) isn't a fun mechanic, regardless of how you dress it up.  I guess it's something a bit different at least.

Had it less than a day but I really like it as a wee pocket system to whip out. 

Whitewater is fun and the Birder game is neat. I was very impressed with the sound quality out the speaker and the overall build though I worry that crank isn’t gonna last. Fingers crossed they’ve (teenage) engineered it well. 

I got bloom (not yet played) and for some reason the form factor and the tactile nature of the buttons make it perfect for picross on the way to the football. 

I might even get my son having a go at designing a game for it as they seem to have made it so easy to code for and sideload. 

8971324F-EC56-4B7A-BB84-A2718615B738.jpeg

52 minutes ago, Nathan Wind said:

What's it costing for postage to the UK on these things? I'm trying to work out whether or not I'm willing to pay eBay scalper prices.

Don't know if it's changed since the pre-orders, but mine was about $18 shipping plus $40 VAT.