IGNORED

Playdate-A new handheld console thingy

bear

11 hours ago, chamberlago said:

The screen is really smooth but I do miss a backlight which I didn't think I would.

FWIW: the screen can't be backlit as it is opaque (unlike most common LCDs). It would need to be front lit but nobody in the world makes a front light mechanism for this screen. So it would need to be R&D from scratch. 

They’ve basically said they would love to see somebody mod it to have a side/front light but that it was never gonna happen in this one. Too much extra engineering. They found problems with making a front/side light good enough to fit the design. 

I’m order 15700 (Group 2) so guessing I might get by end of June. Can’t wait. 

21 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Could you run a worm light off the USB port? :lol: 

image.jpeg.de0f13e7904bfc46dff4a5548dcd5b22.jpeg

I’ve seen this mentioned elsewhere as a possible option though not seen anybody post a working product / solution yet. 

I have one for my paper book at night which clips on but not sure there would be anywhere to clip it. Flexi light powered off the USB C would be a lot neater. 

I appreciate there are reasons it didn't happen and I'm sympathetic but it stops me indulging in my bad habit of playing videogames in bed before trying to sleep 😠😄

I might give one of those clip on lights a try haha

I had two more games come through on Monday, after initially starting it up on the previous Thursday. So I guess it's a monday drop for everyone after the initial first lot? Maybe??

Anyway, the 3rd and 4th games are very different from the first 2, which is nice.

I got the purple case. It looks great, but I don't find it as nice to have it folded round the back when I'm playing on the Playdate. It catches on the crank sometimes, and is a bit uncomfortable to hold at the edges. It's only hooked on with magnets though. I just completely remove the whole thing when I'm playing.

Agree with the case, but I assume that’s the purpose as the dock uses the same magnetic points. 

Whitewater Wipeout suddenly clicked yesterday. Not great at high scores yet but it’s a nice gameplay loop. :)

23 hours ago, Yiggy said:

I’ve seen this mentioned elsewhere as a possible option though not seen anybody post a working product / solution yet. 

I have one for my paper book at night which clips on but not sure there would be anywhere to clip it. Flexi light powered off the USB C would be a lot neater. 

My INIU chargers come with these bendy lights, they are standard usb plug but someone must do a usb c equivalent:

F666DB62-6C5A-40E3-A570-AAE624F1AE46.thumb.jpeg.0312aa47ae84b5a981800b7b6ad07acb.jpeg

These ones are probably too bright.

Bloom is a game from outside of the Playdate seasons. You can get it from itch.io: https://rngpartygames.itch.io/bloom

In general, Playdate is really tapping into that Game Boy vibe. Maybe more of a NeoGeo Pocket vibe even: the games look Game Boy-ish, but it's clear there's more horsepower behind the limited graphics and its deploying it at seemingly random spots. Delightful really.

Not sure how delivery times are for new units. And while it's a great little gadget it's hard to recommend outright. It really is just a gaming toy. A great one, just not as essential as other gaming hardware. It's the 'zine of portable consoles: there's a lot of Game Boy Camera energy.

10 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

It really is just a gaming toy. A great one, just not as essential as other gaming hardware. It's the 'zine of portable consoles: there's a lot of Game Boy Camera energy.

All of this feeds directly into my brain’s ‘I WANT ONE!’ system!

Well, the good news is my Playdate is not only on the way, it's made it to the UK! 

The bad news is I've just had a tracking update that it's being held because I need to pay customs charges. Which normally I'd expect, when buying from abroad, except I seem to recall pre-paying them when the console was ordered, and indeed looking at my receipt from the time shows a nice $40+ tax payment. Anybody else here get got twice for tax? 

10 minutes ago, Wiper said:

Well, the good news is my Playdate is not only on the way, it's made it to the UK! 

The bad news is I've just had a tracking update that it's being held because I need to pay customs charges. Which normally I'd expect, when buying from abroad, except I seem to recall pre-paying them when the console was ordered, and indeed looking at my receipt from the time shows a nice $40+ tax payment. Anybody else here get got twice for tax? 

Might be the’handling’ fee on top of the customs (or bloody rip off) , or just not paid enough?

They definitely did tax prepayment on these, it’s part of the reason they had that nightmare transaction system that broke for overseas orders. Do let me know how you get on, I’m on a later batch and having 20% tax on top would push this beyond what I can really justify paying.

What you will need to probably do is pay it, then claim it back by providing proof. Be aware it will be a pain, they will say they're going to pay you and never do and you'll have to find ways to actually speak to a human to get it ultimately resolved.

12 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

What you will need to probably do is pay it, then claim it back by providing proof. Be aware it will be a pain, they will say they're going to pay you and never do and you'll have to find ways to actually speak to a human to get it ultimately resolved.

Nope, mine can just go back if it gets stung with tax, pretty sure Panic! need to do something about this if it's a widespread problem.

Well, I'm the only one on here stung by it so far, so I'm willing to hope it's an error (by customs, by USPS, who knows). I've not been carded yet — hurray for online tracking promising doom — so I've contacted Panic to see if they/their shipping partner can do anything about it while I wait for that.

I really don't want to go down the "pay and claim back" route, as a) I'd rather not be down that money; and b) I'm completely incapable of being in any way assertive over the phone, so I'd be useless at pushing things along.

This is the tasty customs charge, incidentally:

20220519_103920.thumb.jpg.446ec71cd7548d147f774b0c822d42a8.jpg

Still, at least it's not as dramatic as the time a customs person misread a packing slip, ignoring the decimal point, and classified my $30 purchase as $3000. They wouldn't accept any alternative that time either, so I had to ask them to return the item. I hate dealing with customs :(

Posted (edited)

Their FAQ confirms you shouldn’t have to pay any extra taxes or duties and points you in the direction of their international shipping partner Passport: 

https://help.play.date/shipping/countries/

Contact information here: 

https://help.play.date/shipping/where-is-package/

Edit: Hope this isn’t something Brexit-related. I got stung for an unexpected import VAT charge on the Wonderful 101 kickstarter, which seemed to affect UK backers but not EU backers.

But then if others upthread have already received theirs without problems, hopefully it’s just a one-off error.

Edited by gratuitous sax

Posted (edited)

Oh, that's interesting. Can anyone with an international order (UK or otherwise) tell me what their order tracking takes them to? That help page makes it sound as though I should get taken to a portal managed by Passport, which should itself have a "Help" option. My tracking button takes me direct to USPS instead. I wonder if Panic sent mine using the wrong company, somehow.

Edit: and I just checked, punching my tracking reference into Passport's system has it complain that it doesn't recognise it.

Edited by Wiper

2 hours ago, Wiper said:

Well, I'm the only one on here stung by it so far, so I'm willing to hope it's an error (by customs, by USPS, who knows). I've not been carded yet — hurray for online tracking promising doom — so I've contacted Panic to see if they/their shipping partner can do anything about it while I wait for that.

I really don't want to go down the "pay and claim back" route, as a) I'd rather not be down that money; and b) I'm completely incapable of being in any way assertive over the phone, so I'd be useless at pushing things along.

This is the tasty customs charge, incidentally:

20220519_103920.thumb.jpg.446ec71cd7548d147f774b0c822d42a8.jpg

Still, at least it's not as dramatic as the time a customs person misread a packing slip, ignoring the decimal point, and classified my $30 purchase as $3000. They wouldn't accept any alternative that time either, so I had to ask them to return the item. I hate dealing with customs :(

Mine was delivered last week, UK, with no extra charges to pay.

Local delivery was by Hermes (EVRi) and I could track in through the https://track.passportshipping.com link Panic sent me.

Well, at least it's clear what's gone wrong — only issue is getting it solved by Panic! Guess I'll send a follow up message to them, as I imagine they'll just tell me to talk to Passport (which obviously wont work, as Passport never touched the parcel).