IGNORED

Playdate-A new handheld console thingy

bear

13 minutes ago, ZOK said:

I’ve started watching the rest of this guy’s videos…they are strangely compelling.

I found that an awful watch, I might be the compete opposite on this one.... still looking forward to the Playdate though .

11 minutes ago, MikeBeaver said:

I found that an awful watch, I might be the compete opposite on this one.... still looking forward to the Playdate though .

I like the way he’s on the BBC talking about video games seemingly by accident.

10 hours ago, ZOK said:

It’s a portable device - that doesn’t mean it’s going to be used outside.

The Steamdeck is a £500 portable device that isn’t going to get used outside either.

This does read a bit like ‘I don’t want to use it outside so why would anyone else?’ I’ve had reasonable use of my switch on the go, it wouldn’t be a total deal breaker but it is a negative. There’s plenty of people who do use portables portably. 

2 hours ago, easilydone said:

This does read a bit like ‘I don’t want to use it outside so why would anyone else?’ I’ve had reasonable use of my switch on the go, it wouldn’t be a total deal breaker but it is a negative. There’s plenty of people who do use portables portably. 

No, you’re wrong. I’ve personally met everyone in the world (including you) who owns or has owned a portable device in history and not one has ever left the house with said device. This is why I have been confident in making such a nonsensical empirical statement. 

It also makes you a liar, sir! And me, who used to use his Switch on the bus all the time.

I remember the GBA non-lit screen days, and by far the best visibility you could get was outside in the sunshine. I wanted to play it indoors but found it actually encouraged me to go to the park. Of course I only discovered the screen advantage because Boktai made me go outside in the first place.

I don’t buy that the Playdate screen is no good outdoors, unless you mean at night.

On 19/04/2022 at 22:14, ZOK said:

I like the way he’s on the BBC talking about video games seemingly by accident.

Hey, it’s how I managed it.

5 hours ago, Stanley said:

Can’t believe there is no light when the solution is plainly obvious, put a dynamo in it and crank ahoy. 

If some reviewers are fondly recalling the godawful GBA screen, then having similar nostalgia for hand-crank torches of the 1980s wouldn’t be much more of a stretch. 

It's impossible to back light this type of screen as it is opaque. It would have to be edge or front lit, but nobody on Earth currently makes such a thing for this specific screen. So it would need to be designed from scratch, which would be a very big job. 

And all this talk about using it for a week and putting it in a drawer. What are you on about? You seem to be forgetting one important thing: the games. The device is just the gateway to fun experiences. 

As for turning it off, it goes into standby and because the screen is e-ink-like that can retain its contents using almost zero power. 

Also, the whole deal is specifically designed so you can't put it in the drawer after a week if you want to see everything it has to offer. 

I've ordered one this week, not coming until late 2022/2023.

The buzz may have died by then, but I'll still enjoy it based on the 24 games shown already. In a world of huge 100 hour story epics, I'm always looking for arcade-style quick fire games.

2 hours ago, Kramer said:

I've ordered one this week, not coming until late 2022/2023.

The buzz may have died by then

The games I'm working on won't be released by then so you've still got some good stuff to look forward to. 

They are teenage engineered, which is all you need to know. Can one ever truly put a price on desirability?

Having said that, I thought those tees looked a bit rubbish, even at a tenth of the price.

7 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

That’s because you’re not cool enough. 

Come on, let’s not lose our minds here! I’m probably just too cool (poor).